Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the Manual Transmission Drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 09:26 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Most ME’s do not even offer chrome. Unless GM goes different, losing chrome wheels would be another challenge to an ever-decreasing number of Corvette buyers, i.e., chrome wheels have kept dropping in Corvettes recently, to less than 25% for the last full production year (2017).

That compares to around 50% the last year of the C6.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:17 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default A DCT is Eminent!? ;)

That ME CAD Ford looking thing sneaking power in GTLM.
Add a cooresponding ME Z51 C7 ZO6 eclipsing production variant.

And he was probably right!
The C7 stuff rolls on chrome wheels and all.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-10-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo

That ME CAD Ford looking thing sneaking power in GTLM.
Add a cooresponding ME Z51 C7 ZO6 eclipsing production variant.

And he was probably right!
The C7 stuff rolls on chrome wheels and all.
What in the heck does any of this gibberish mean and why do you keep posting nonsense into legitimate conversations? I really wish I could decipher your ramblings.

1. What ME CAD Ford thing is sneaking power? How does something sneak power?
2. What is a ME Z51 C7 Z06? Do you even read what you write and does it actually make sense to you?

My 7 year old son's English lessons require better skill than you display, lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
JerriVette (04-10-2018), Rapid Fred (04-10-2018), Z06NJ (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 02:03 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Sorry, can't help youse! ;)

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
What in the heck does any of this gibberish mean and why do you keep posting nonsense into legitimate conversations? I really wish I could decipher your ramblings.

1. What ME CAD Ford thing is sneaking power? How does something sneak power?
2. What is a ME Z51 C7 Z06? Do you even read what you write and does it actually make sense to you?

My 7 year old son's English lessons require better skill than you display, lol.
It's tat darn Nuance stiff agarn!s
  • C7 ZR1
  • C8 Z51 (C8R); C7 Z06 and GS gone!
  • C7 Z51
  • C7 Base

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-10-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:38 AM
NCVette1
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If I buy one it would be for the street. Probably put some bolt ons and drive it mildly and a few highway trips. I wouldn't want a DCT for that. I understand the benefits... I just would rather have a slower more enjoyable manual.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:46 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

only automatic (DCT) car Ive tracked in the last 17 years of me tracking cars was a nissan GTR.. fast and fun at 1st... but it did get boring..I traded it for a porsche with a manual..way slower but way more fun..

That said, I would take a ferrari 458 or huracan performante with a DCT/auto.. huge sound and paddles on the column..

If they do a DCT/auto... they will still put the paddles on the steering wheel which I personally hate
Old 04-18-2018, 03:58 AM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
The mid-engine car will be paddle shift only, I base that on what is not seen in the CAD pictures..

This is a Lamborghini Huracan, they are DCT only.

And this is the mid-engine Corvette.

Look at the top of their central tunnels, and what they're both missing. Neither have a hole, or any sort of provisions for a shift lever mounted between the seats.
There won't be a hole there as the transmission is not there, it is behind the rear axle, it will be cable or hard links back to the transmission, also... the yellow circle on the C8 is a hole... just saying.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:55 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadfly
There won't be a hole there as the transmission is not there, it is behind the rear axle, it will be cable or hard links back to the transmission, also... the yellow circle on the C8 is a hole... just saying.
The C5, the C6 nor the C7 had the transmission located in the front of the tunnel as they had the transmission located behind the passenger compartment, yet there was hole for the shift linkage to pass through.

Here is the C6's driveline and you can see that the shifter is mounted to the top of the torque tube, with the shift linkage going to the transmission. The center tunnel had a rectangular hole for the shifter to pass through.

Here is the C5 showing the same thing.

As you can see, it requires a pretty large hole in the top of the center tunnel for the shifter boot, etc.

And lastly, the C7 that clearly shows the large rectangular hole in the center tunnel for the shift lever to pass through..

Just saying....

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-18-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:26 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The C5, the C6 nor the C7 had the transmission located in the front of the tunnel as they had the transmission located behind the passenger compartment, yet there was hole for the shift linkage to pass through.

Here is the C6's driveline and you can see that the shifter is mounted to the top of the torque tube, with the shift linkage going to the transmission. The center tunnel had a rectangular hole for the shifter to pass through.

Here is the C5 showing the same thing.

As you can see, it requires a pretty large hole in the top of the center tunnel for the shifter boot, etc.

And lastly, the C7 that clearly shows the large rectangular hole in the center tunnel for the shift lever to pass through..

Just saying....
A mid-rear has the transaxle behind the motor and diff. As such a shift rod like the C5/6/7 won't work. It will be cable actuated which doesn't need the big hole.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:03 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

A mid-rear has the transaxle behind the motor and diff. As such a shift rod like the C5/6/7 won't work. It will be cable actuated which doesn't need the big hole.
True that a cable is all that will be needed, but the cable will have to run through the center tunnel, and the lower shift linkage will most likely be located within the center tunnel, thus only the shift lever will extend through into the passenger compartment. It will require some type of opening for the shift lever to move forward/backward and left/right while shifting gears. I don't think you want to have the shift cable and 100% of the shifter mechanism mounted on top of the center tunnel.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:30 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

True that a cable is all that will be needed, but the cable will have to run through the center tunnel, and the lower shift linkage will most likely be located within the center tunnel, thus only the shift lever will extend through into the passenger compartment. It will require some type of opening for the shift lever to move forward/backward and left/right while shifting gears. I don't think you want to have the shift cable and 100% of the shifter mechanism mounted on top of the center tunnel.

My Cayman's shifter box and cables sit on top of the "tunnel", but it's so low it works fine. With the height of a C5, C6, C7, and apparently the mid engined car's central tunnel putting the whole mechanism on top would be out of the question. The shifter **** would end up being way too high.

Any type shifter would be mounted in the area I've circled. There's no bolt holes, or mounting studs for anything shown in the drawing.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:09 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Too many variables to call it from the CAD. No one knows how high the center tunnel is. In addition, you could engineer a lower profile shifter, or you could mount it on the dash like 2000s Civic SI/rally car.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:06 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I'm not worried. There is no way GM abandons the manual market.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:47 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Glenlivet For Me. 12 Year

Originally Posted by NY09C6
Hello NY
Man I hope your intuition is right on. I surely enjoy a successful row thru the gears. Not sure what my next car might be if the 8 is auto solely. Though I am sure it will be spectacular.
All my five Corvettes have been Manual transmissions.
As were my two Miatas and one Porsche.
Soon.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:01 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I think you are wrong. A ME manual requires a lot of specialized linkage to work, and with it only being about 24% of current sales, I don't expect to see it on the ME.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:47 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I think you are wrong. A ME manual requires a lot of specialized linkage to work, and with it only being about 24% of current sales, I don't expect to see it on the ME.
Anyone with a C5/C6/C7 should know about the chore of flushing the hydraulic clutch mechanism. With the engine(and the clutch) located in the front the line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder is relatively short, so the volume of fluid is fairly low.

On a mid engine, the hydraulic line is fairly long, so gonna' take a while to flush it using the 'Ranger' method. Not a big deal, but still there.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:26 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Anyone with a C5/C6/C7 should know about the chore of flushing the hydraulic clutch mechanism. With the engine(and the clutch) located in the front the line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder is relatively short, so the volume of fluid is fairly low.

On a mid engine, the hydraulic line is fairly long, so gonna' take a while to flush it using the 'Ranger' method. Not a big deal, but still there.
That's not a needed or approved maintenance requirement. Used to do it in my road race C5 and then swapped to a tick master and never had to do it again. My C7 has 47K miles and never touched the clutch fluid. Track the car too. GM got it right with the new stuff.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 04-20-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To For the Manual Transmission Drivers...

Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

That's not a needed or approved maintenance requirement. My C7 has 47K miles and never touched the clutch fluid. Track the car too. GM got it right with the new stuff.
The GM owners manual says otherwise (page 302 of 2018 manual):
(7) Replace clutch fluid every three years. See Hydraulic Clutch p. 229.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:22 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
And that low 20 something % is with the only other choice being a torque converter automatic. If a reasonably priced DCT would've been a third option I bet the three pedal manual's % would already be into (or very close to) single digits.
I hate to see them disappear, but I'm not in control.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:53 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Ferrari F355 has the transaxle located as such, yet still has a shift rod performing the actuation.

Ferrari 348 has similar transaxle but uses cable actuation.

Everyone hails the F355 system over the 348 system.

Quick Reply: For the Manual Transmission Drivers...