Arguments For and Against the Corvette's Turbocharger Evolution - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Arguments For and Against the Corvette's Turbocharger Evolution

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arguments For and Against the Corvette's Turbocharger Evolution

Reply

 
 
 
Old 03-08-2018, 03:54 PM
  #21  
NY09C6
CF Senior Member
 
NY09C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,559
Thanks: 0
Thanked 127 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected]
FWIW GM will give us what we want. Whether it be big displacement, electric motors, turbos, or supercharger. The determination comes to the gas guzzler tax and how willing the consumer is to pay it. The gov slaps GM with a tax or fine if their fleet average falls below the EPA's guidelines, this tax or fee is passed on to the consumer via the gas guzzler tax. If it makes GM the most money, that is likely the route we will go.
Corporate image is also a factor. They don't want to be the target of a liberal social media campaign/boycott. Hummer is a good example if you recall the fine details of what the left did to them.
NY09C6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NY09C6 For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 04:41 AM
  #22  
GettnBetter
CF Senior Member
 
GettnBetter's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Posts: 175
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I look at it like this. Its all about the sound. F1 tried this and failed. Even with 2x the milage (<< throws up a little) and 900+HP, very few were happy with the small displacement energy recovery turbo engines. Even though it is superior in many ways, they simply did not make the sound F1 fans expect. Even adding the wastegate noise honker didn't help. Playing cards between the spokes simply doesn't cut it.

Imagine if Nascar went turbo? lol... not evah.

The LT4 and LT5 well.. nah.. neither makes muscle car noises and adding a supercharger that has to poke through the hood seems so aftermarket bolt-on.

Now the LS7.... It grinds, groans, has wonderful valve noise and revs like there's no tomorrow all the time making race car noises at any throttle position. Head supplier tolerances aside, the 427 is truly iconic and screams American muscle.
GettnBetter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:33 AM
  #23  
Telepierre
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Telepierre's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,169
Thanked 72 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Very good argument for NA!
Tadge covered this rather extensively...

With the C7 Z06 he had to go quite a bit up in power, save gas AND give us a warranty... and...and...and....and....

The LS7 @100+ HP per liter is awesome! but it seems these days, for sales, folks prefer horsepower numbers to decibel sound....


Originally Posted by GettnBetter View Post
I look at it like this. Its all about the sound. F1 tried this and failed. Even with 2x the milage (<< throws up a little) and 900+HP, very few were happy with the small displacement energy recovery turbo engines. Even though it is superior in many ways, they simply did not make the sound F1 fans expect. Even adding the wastegate noise honker didn't help. Playing cards between the spokes simply doesn't cut it.

Imagine if Nascar went turbo? lol... not evah.

The LT4 and LT5 well.. nah.. neither makes muscle car noises and adding a supercharger that has to poke through the hood seems so aftermarket bolt-on.

Now the LS7.... It grinds, groans, has wonderful valve noise and revs like there's no tomorrow all the time making race car noises at any throttle position. Head supplier tolerances aside, the 427 is truly iconic and screams American muscle.

Last edited by Telepierre; 03-09-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Telepierre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:17 AM
  #24  
Pete2k_Z28
CF Senior Member
 
Pete2k_Z28's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Land O Lakes FL
Posts: 252
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Telepierre View Post
I suppose a possible silver lining on turbos to save gas is that they can be turned around (rather easily) to do the opposite...but I did not say that...
;-)
This. One of the biggest challenges in adding a turbo is packaging. But a car that's already configured for one from the factory? Now that's easy. Take the Supra's for example. They have been making 1000+ hp from a 6cyl long before it was cool. And in a more modern context, Mercedes has normal sedans that reliably make 45# of boost just getting grandma to church on Sunday, on pump gas. Turbocharging has come a looooong way!
Pete2k_Z28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete2k_Z28 For This Useful Post:
RoketRdr (03-11-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:34 AM
  #25  
Telepierre
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Telepierre's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,169
Thanked 72 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28 View Post


This. One of the biggest challenges in adding a turbo is packaging. But a car that's already configured for one from the factory? Now that's easy. Take the Supra's for example. They have been making 1000+ hp from a 6cyl long before it was cool. And in a more modern context, Mercedes has normal sedans that reliably make 45# of boost just getting grandma to church on Sunday, on pump gas. Turbocharging has come a looooong way!
Agree of the packaging argument but I should have mentioned the other side of the coin as well. For sports/power driving I am familiar with unlocking the Merc AMG bi-turbos to reach the 700s but you are also turning the engine from a 50K miles warrantied engine into a 25K miles engine...and I have witnessed my friend tuner tell a customer that if he really wanted to reach 1000HP it then becomes a 3000 miles engine!!

Problem is "we" don't drive like grandma to church...
Telepierre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:43 PM
  #26  
snow
CF Senior Member
 
snow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: South Fla
Posts: 1,500
Thanked 181 Times in 147 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18
Default

As long as it works as advertised I don't care. My AMG has twin turbos and has zero lag and hauls the mail. Either or just make it spectacular!
snow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:23 AM
  #27  
Trackaholic
CF Senior Member
 
Trackaholic's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Posts: 631
Thanked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Default

It just needs to hold a decent amount of torque to redline, so that the power peak occurs near redline as well. Hopefully with a power curve that climbs relatively linearly.

My GTI had a turbo that ran out of steam early, so it was great around town but when you went to wind it out, the top end was a real let down.

The Mustang Ecoboost is similar. I looked at the power curve on that car and to optimize the acceleration you'd actually short shift (I think around 5500 RPM).

That's no fun in a sports car, IMO.

As long as they can make it sound awesome, and make it run through the RPM range without feeling weak at the top end, I'd be OK with turbos.

BTW, count me as a long time F1 fan extremely disappointed with the lame sounding turbo engines. It's not a volume issue, but rather one of frequency and harmonics.

-T

Last edited by Trackaholic; 03-10-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Trackaholic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:45 AM
  #28  
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,636
Thanked 1,259 Times in 954 Posts
Default

If this was a perfect world and I was appointed God, I would dispense with turbos.
Unfortunately, neither is true and I am certain we are going to have turbochargers in Corvettes sometime soon.

Acceptance is hard...but we have to accept the inevitability.
Hopefully, GM will build a great system.
sunsalem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:27 AM
  #29  
Katie22
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 227
Thanks: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default

So my Mercedes v12 engine is the same size as the Corvette engine. The car weighs 5300 pounds. The corvette weights about 3200 pounds. The Mercedes is close to being as fast as the corvette and you dont even realize there are two turbos driving the engine.
Katie22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:29 AM
  #30  
Telepierre
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Telepierre's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,169
Thanked 72 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Katie22 View Post
So my Mercedes v12 engine is the same size as the Corvette engine. The car weighs 5300 pounds. The corvette weights about 3200 pounds. The Mercedes is close to being as fast as the corvette and you dont even realize there are two turbos driving the engine.
The only Merc platform that I am aware of with the V12 bi turbos is the S class. The only (recent) Corvette platform in the 3200 in the base C7...
or C6Z06?

Agree the merc power curve and delivery of this particular engine is very smooth (in both 550 and 622HP form) but since you mentioned weight...when you have a chance open the hood of both cars and peek at the engine sizes..

That V12 makes the Viper V10 engine look like a midget... :-)

Last edited by Telepierre; 03-10-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Telepierre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:14 PM
  #31  
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Beaverton OR
Posts: 6,324
Thanked 133 Times in 117 Posts
Default Done!

Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
If this was a perfect world and I was appointed God, I would dispense with turbos.
Unfortunately, neither is true and I am certain we are going to have turbochargers in Corvettes sometime soon.

Acceptance is hard...but we have to accept the inevitability.
Hopefully, GM will build a great system.
Soon!? Turbos in the V like I suggested! GM usually sees it my way when they are on it!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-21-2018 at 10:18 PM.
johnglenntwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:21 AM
  #32  
JerriVette
CF Senior Member
 
JerriVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 10,171
Thanked 663 Times in 503 Posts
Default

I prefer the LT1 motor for the base corvette c8.

Dohc twin turbos I'm sure are great motors.

I just prefer a 500 hp engine that's proven inexpensive and reliable power plants for me.

The LS motors in my 3 corvettes have been so reliable and inexpensive to maintain...durability of GM small blocks are most impressive to me and they produce a nice power to weight ratios...
JerriVette is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JerriVette For This Useful Post:
Shaka (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 AM
  #33  
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Beaverton OR
Posts: 6,324
Thanked 133 Times in 117 Posts
Default Agreed!

Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
I prefer the LT1 motor for the base corvette c8.

Dohc twin turbos I'm sure are great motors.

I just prefer a 500 hp engine that's proven inexpensive and reliable power plants for me.

The LS motors in my 3 corvettes have been so reliable and inexpensive to maintain...durability of GM small blocks are most impressive to me and they produce a nice power to weight ratios...

Perfect for the race car! I read last week the competitors argue with its low COG. Good!

Then again...V8TT!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-22-2018 at 12:49 AM.
johnglenntwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnglenntwo For This Useful Post:
JerriVette (03-22-2018)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Arguments For and Against the Corvette's Turbocharger Evolution


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: