Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New spy shots...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Back on topic. Yes!

And again, a huge thank you to our OP for videoing his encounter with the ME’s. This thread has provided great enjoyment.

On behalf of us all, thank you joesblownc5!
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
firstvettesoon (02-16-2018), FrankLP (02-16-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 PM
tonyclark1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 2 Posts

I would really like to know a few things...
Is this car going to be a mid engine car?
I would also like to know the coefficient of drag numbers. ( less drag will equal more gas mileage)
The C5 had great numbers. I would like to know it was ever beat by C6, C7, ....???
Will there be any carbon fiber panels on the car?
Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-26-2018, 10:52 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Just funnin with ya...
Old 02-27-2018, 07:02 AM
tonyclark1
Advanced

Thanks for the info. Would still like to know cd numbers, just curious. Its going to be interesting to see all the specs of this car.
Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-27-2018, 08:37 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by tonyclark1
I would also like to know the coefficient of drag numbers. ( less drag will equal more gas mileage)
The C5 had great numbers. I would like to know it was ever beat by C6, C7, ....???
Thanks,
Tony
So would everyone else. We will all find out once it's released.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Thanks,
Tony
First, you have to realize that a new generation has to "one up" the previous generation. GM proudly said the C5 coupe has a .29 Cd.

Then when they released the C6 coupe, they proudly said it had a .287 Cd. First time I have seen a Cd in three decimal points.

You don't hear from GM regarding the Cd of the C7. It apparently is higher than .287 as the base Stingray with 29 more horses under the hood, has a lower top speed than the C6 base coupe.

With the lo-density SMC panels used on the 2016+ C7, the weight savings are not that much greater going with carbon fiber, especially when you look at the cost between the two.

The heavier C6 SMC panels(1.9 specific gravity) and the 2014-2015 C7 SMC panels(1.6 specific gravity) made carbon fiber more attractive. The lighter 1.2 specific gravity SMC panels used on the 2016+ C7 cut the car's weight by 20 pounds vs the earlier C7.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-27-2018 at 10:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,282 Likes on 927 Posts

Only people that care about cd are prius owners.

Give me a good cd to downforce ratio and I am a happy guy. Most people are not going for high speed runs so I would trade top end for downforce any day.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:35 PM
tonyclark1
Advanced

If you don't care about cd then I would say go drive your prius or whatever you want to. Real car men care about ALL these things. Anyway, if you were paying attention to what I wrote ..... Gas mileage an HP usually do not go together. I am interested in both. The lower the cd, the better the mpg will be. I like to drive my car. I can't drive it alot if gas prices keep shooting thru the roof.
Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-27-2018, 03:58 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

The lower the cd, the better the mpg will be. I like to drive my car. I can't drive it alot if gas prices keep shooting thru the roof.
a wee bit naive don’t you think? Gas mileage is dependent on many more factors than just Cd bud. If you like to drive (with good MOG) then you should consider driving a Prius. Car guys don’t give a sheet about gas mileage. Get a better paying job. Forget about Cd and gas mileage. Enjoy your car. If your getting better than 10 MPG, you’re doing something wrong.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:11 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

If you don't care about cd then I would say go drive your prius or whatever you want to. Real car men care about ALL these things. Anyway, if you were paying attention to what I wrote ..... Gas mileage an HP usually do not go together. I am interested in both. The lower the cd, the better the mpg will be. I like to drive my car. I can't drive it alot if gas prices keep shooting thru the roof.
Thanks,
Tony

Actually government regulations on fuel efficiency and emissions is what gave us tremendous hp as a by product of car companies research.

Real world ....If you put your foot down the gas mileage drops but in corvettes if you are gentle on the go pedal the fuel mileage is amazing. World class in fact.

Last edited by JerriVette; 02-27-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:11 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Drag coefficient is a nice number to look at for an economy car. Sports cars, by their nature and their name, are different beasts. Downforce and cd are exactly opposite, so if anyone is making a sports car choice on cd, well, good luck.

Just as a fun fact, an F1 car decelerates at over 1G (!) just by letting off the throttle, because of aero drag and downforce.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:18 PM
tonyclark1
Advanced

Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
a wee bit naive don’t you think? Gas mileage is dependent on many more factors than just Cd bud. If you like to drive (with good MOG) then you should consider driving a Prius. Car guys don’t give a sheet about gas mileage. Get a better paying job. Forget about Cd and gas mileage. Enjoy your car. If your getting better than 10 MPG, you’re doing something wrong.
You just don't get it.
Done .....
Tony
Old 02-27-2018, 06:22 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Downforce and cd are exactly opposite.
I'd have to disagree there
The following users liked this post:
C7pimp (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:01 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Drag coefficient is a nice number to look at for an economy car. Sports cars, by their nature and their name, are different beasts. Downforce and cd are exactly opposite, so if anyone is making a sports car choice on cd, well, good luck.

Just as a fun fact, an F1 car decelerates at over 1G (!) just by letting off the throttle, because of aero drag and downforce.
You mean thrust is equal and opposite to drag. Newton. Lift and drag are not opposite. You multiply frontal area by the drag coefficient to get total drag. Total wing area by lift coefficient to get total lift. Both are a function of thrust. Drag increases at the square of the velocity. The lift to drag ratio (L/D) is the amount of lift generated by a wing or airfoil compared to its drag. Each airfoil section has a unique lift coefficient and a drag coefficient. The lift/drag ratio is used to express the relation between lift and drag and is determined by dividing the lift coefficient by the drag coefficient. CL/CD. A ratio of L/D indicates airfoil efficiency. Aircraft with higher L/D ratios are more efficient than those with lower L/D ratios. I can get into the math but I think I'll leave it right here. Oh yeah, it is very important number especially for a sports car. Enzo once said that aerodynamics is for those who can't build engines. Boy, was he ever wrong.

Last edited by Shaka; 02-27-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:29 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Actually government regulations on fuel efficiency and emissions is what gave us tremendous hp as a by product of car companies research.

Real world ....If you put your foot down the gas mileage drops but in corvettes if you are gentle on the go pedal the fuel mileage is amazing. World class in fact.
At Eureka Springs last fall a c7 in its class had over 40mpg. '93 zr1 had over 37mpg. Corvette's are great at fuel economy!
Old 02-28-2018, 01:48 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

It's just gearing.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:53 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by mirage2991
I'd have to disagree there
Shaka explained it better. My point is that having an extremely aero slick car doesn't "usually" translate into a car that is going to have good high speed stability and handling. Tesla Model S is a good example of a really fast car that is not great, stability wise at HIGH speeds. (I'm talking well in excess of 100MPH). I have NEVER driven a Model S at those speeds but car reviewers point to "floatiness" at HIGH speeds.

Like everything in the car world, compromises are made. Tires, aero, gearing, etc based on the car's intended use. Prius has low rolling resistant tires as an example. They are not great for handling, but they increase fuel mileage.

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-28-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New spy shots...

Old 02-28-2018, 09:36 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

You mean like how the Nissan GT R Nismo has more downforce but still retains the same .26 Cd as the base GT-R? And still has a top speed of 196 MPH(with 600 HP).

Or like how the AMG GT R has more downforce than the AMG GT S but has a lower Cd than the GT S. And still how a top speed of 198 MPH(with 577 HP)

Both of those "sports cars" seem to get around a road course pretty well without having the aero of a dump truck.

Did you have any problem getting your F1 racecar licensed for the street? Does it run on pump gas?

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-28-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:54 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You mean like how the Nissan GT R Nismo has more downforce but still retains the same .26 Cd as the base GT-R? And still has a top speed of 196 MPH(with 600 HP).

Or like how the AMG GT R has more downforce than the AMG GT S but has a lower Cd than the GT S. And still how a top speed of 198 MPH(with 577 HP)

Both of those "sports cars" seem to get around a road course pretty well without having the aero of a dump truck.

Did you have any problem getting your F1 racecar licensed for the street? Does it run on pump gas?
Joe,
I gotta tell you, I don't (and haven't) believed Nissan's numbers on the GT-R for 8 years. When the car came out, and they published (at the time) a crazy 'ring number (which no one else could come close to), I take EVERYTHING they say with a large grain of salt. Common sense tells you that the GT-R with MORE downforce could not have the same cd or top speed. I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

The AMG is different bird. It's a NEW car, with lots of aero trickery verses the Nissan GT-R which is just spoilers/wings,etc added to an almost 10 year old design at this point.

My point on an F1 car (which has more aero tricks than ANY production car) is that even in F1, those cars have SO much drag (and downforce) that they are like bricks.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:19 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

To move past the aero conversation....

I think the ME car is going to shock us all with it's technology AND aero. If Bob Lutz is correct, Tadge was working on a ME Corvette 11 years ago, so he's had plenty of practice! I can only imagine how proud the Daves are that we are FINALLY going to get a car that has been rumored and talked about since I was a kid, and that was a LONG time ago.

Quick Reply: New spy shots...