Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New spy shots...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:48 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

Doubt it... looks like spots for a back-up camera, license plate lights and a hatch/trunk popper.

could be...but that would be a shame...

the camera does look to be at the top of the hatch unless it's a dometil

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-08-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:28 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Well, we're gonna have one, like it or not.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:43 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Well, we're gonna have one, like it or not.
the camera/rear view I like. easier on the neck!

I was saying it would be a shame if the c8 did not have the rear aero thru the fascia like the 488.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-08-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:09 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

How about this Cadillac 360 view system:

Old 02-09-2018, 02:08 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Other than not having to stretch your neck muscles mercilessly to watch the brats in the backseat of a sedan or SUV, I fail to see how this system would be of much use in the ME.

Last edited by sunsalem; 02-09-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Doubt it... looks like spots for a back-up camera, license plate lights and a hatch/trunk popper.
Upon a second look, I agree.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:07 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Other than not having to stretch your neck muscles mercilessly to watch the brats in the backseat of a sedan or SUV, I fail to see how this system would be of much use in the ME.
because...cool!

but seriously. why not just make the rear view mirror into a display and send the rear camera-360 view to that feed?
Old 02-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
because...cool!

but seriously. why not just make the rear view mirror into a display and send the rear camera-360 view to that feed?
Federal regulations require a rear view mirror (not screen) along with side mirrors (again, not screens). Several auto manufacturer's are trying to get this changed but so far, no dice.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:38 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Federal regulations require a rear view mirror (not screen) along with side mirrors (again, not screens). Several auto manufacturer's are trying to get this changed but so far, no dice.
Did not know that but makes sense.

Driverless cars they will allow but not cameras for mirrors... what a world.

...so put in a small actual mirror above the screen for the purists!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:44 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Sad but true... Following the small actual mirror path, I can see ten years from now as that minute rear view mirror gets smaller and smaller, someone buys a new car and sees for the first time, this almost microscopic mirror about the rear view video, and asks, “what is that shiny dot?”
firstvettesoon (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:00 PM
MidLVR
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I may need this car...
I DO need this car.....the most highly anticipated car ive been after
Cant wait
My c6 was great
This will be epic
The following 2 users liked this post by MidLVR:
JerriVette (02-09-2018), SpeedyD (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:28 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Like your forum name “C8soon.” There will be a ME in our garage.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Why do the top fender inlets work for the current z06/zr1 and wouldn't work for the ME? I am imagining the same type of engineering adapted to the ME.

The thought of it maybe being on the side surface similar to the 488 makes me think there would be plenty of air volume for the rads since the 488 side scoop splits the volume?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

If you are interested in drawing modern high performance cars, it would behoove you to research how styling and function are almost always at odds. The faster a car is, the shape becomes critical for other components to perform their duties. Grab some books or go on line and do some homework for a basic understanding. Design programs have CFD add ons for CAD surface development.
Your powers of observation should allow you to answer some of your queries. Try and answer your first question.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:39 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggballz
Has anyone noticed this little detail? Looks like a camera of some sort would
it be a backup camera, or maybe a rear view camera ?
Looks way to big for a back up camera and the location would not let you see behind the bumper. But it could be a thermal camera for testing purposes to see how the heat is coming out of the back hatch area.
firstvettesoon (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:42 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
If you are interested in drawing modern high performance cars, it would behoove you to research how styling and function are almost always at odds. The faster a car is, the shape becomes critical for other components to perform their duties. Grab some books or go on line and do some homework for a basic understanding. Design programs have CFD add ons for CAD surface development.
Your powers of observation should allow you to answer some of your queries. Try and answer your first question.
He never said he was interested in "drawing" cars. Can't you just answer the man's question rather than berate him for not having an automotive engineering degree? Your answer is great incentive for never asking a question on the forum again.
The following 4 users liked this post by mschuyler:
91ZR1 (02-09-2018), elegant (02-09-2018), firstvettesoon (02-09-2018), jimmyb (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shaka

Thanks... No help there...

Please remember that I am not trying to draw or design a modern high performance car. (although I would love to be involved in such a project) I am simply speculating on what "could" be under the camo based on the small details we know from the CAD and spy images. They give an "Impression" of what the car could be , not what it is actually or what it "should be" if we redesigned it according to your ideas. Again, I am not "designing" a car. I am merely making an artistic representation by mashing existing car parts into an artistic representation and impression of the C8 based on currently know details.

My answer to my first question is, Yes, it would work as well as the C7 inlet. As Elegant explained, the c7 inlet was designed and refined a multitude of times and seems to work pretty well. I have no doubt the ME team has dramatically improved on this design. The CAD image certainly shows an inlet in the same area with ducting leading to the rear cooling so, yes, I am fairly certain there is an inlet there. It's ultimate design is TBD... but there will be an inlet in the upper rear fenders.

I will simply reassert that since other supercars use similar intakes and outlets in similar areas, the ME design team will be able to take advantage of the years of experience and expertise and real world testing from examples of cars like the 488, Lambo. Turbo S etc to find the optimum sizes, shapes and positions for all aero sensitive surfaces.

You keep saying that things that that are extant on current supercars don't work. The roof inlet example. They work, when designed correctly.

You say a top fender inlet will not work...yet the LaFerrari and C7 including the ZR1 (to name a few) use it effectively. The CAD of the ME clearly shows an inlet there so to argue that it is not there or will not work is...in your words, dumb.

I have never said that these features would be exactly as depicted in the renders. I simply assert that there "could be" something there "like" it. You seem to want to argue how it needs to be 2.5mm larger or have a larger shelf or book case...

We should not be nitpicking unimportant minutia of an artistic rendering. I suppose that with your engineering background you can't help yourself...but you are missing the very simple point I am making. No matter what books you have read or what you think you know...these incredible cars exist...WITH the very features you assert don't work. They work because the overall design is optimized to make them work as they will, I have no doubt, on the ME.

What I am saying is that you need to make assumptions...a leap of faith, that the final product will have been designed to work properly. I think that pessimistic sketch you made tells a lot. You actually disappointed yourself by drawing a boring unimaginative rendition of what you see in the spy picture without assuming there would be a revolutionary change from previous Corvette design.

I offer again. Take my renders and sketch what you think could or should be on the car or do your own. It may be interesting to see.

...And if GM continues the FE version...they should steal from this...Or should I say steal back. If that don't look like a Corvette I don't know what does.!

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-09-2018 at 03:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
91ZR1 (02-09-2018), Maxie2U (02-14-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:59 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mschuyler
He never said he was interested in "drawing" cars. Can't you just answer the man's question rather than berate him for not having an automotive engineering degree? Your answer is great incentive for never asking a question on the forum again.
You get the same kind of answer from high school science teachers!.

Get notified of new replies

To New spy shots...

Old 02-09-2018, 03:48 PM
atterbud
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I finally got time to enlarge some of the spy shots and although the quality is very poor, I still believe that the headlight treatment will be very different to what has been imagined in the designs to date. It does not look like it will be a single fared in light unit that wraps around the aside of the car, although I admit that was what was depicted in the CAD drawings from ZERV. Looking at these picture it looks more like it could be one or more round lights set back in a sculpted area above and outboard of what looks like an array of small flush mounted LED daytime running lights.
Attached Images       

Last edited by atterbud; 02-09-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Few more pics
The following 2 users liked this post by atterbud:
elegant (02-09-2018), tomlink (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM
elegant
Safety Car

From an aesthetic, “clean design” perspective, and also from both cost to manufacture and ease of assembly perspectives, it would be very desirable to have every light within one headlight bucket.

Last edited by elegant; 02-09-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Virtually everyone from Kia on up to Ferrari are going with some form of sculpted light pipe these days. (Thank you, Audi). I really doubt this car will use a blob of distinct LEDs as DRLs. I still contend that what we're seeing are placeholder lights.

Last edited by Jeff V.; 02-09-2018 at 04:19 PM.
elegant (02-09-2018)

Quick Reply: New spy shots...