What would an average MSRP of $85K+ do to Corvette sales numbers? - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would an average MSRP of $85K+ do to Corvette sales numbers?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #41
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

It would pretty much end them. The vast majority of Vettes sold are base models. GM is in real danger of significantly hurting themselves if they do what a small group want them to. Luckily, the mid engine car is either a Caddy, or a Fiero, and the C8 will be an evolution of the C7.
FAUEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #42
Atomic Fred
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
Here's what the Germans offer for 65 to 80 grand.

I guess you guys are right...

Based off your logic...

https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...mparison-tests
Not sure of your point, JV. Those cars have compromises at their price points as do Vettes. People will choose what hits their sweet spot; something Vettes have done very well at over the decades...
Atomic Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #43
elegant
CF Senior Member

What if the 2020 FE’s have an exciting new front fascia and a bump to 500 HP? That would add some juice (sales) to keeping the FE going for a few more years.

And what if the ME were to start in the upper $70K range, or even $85K as the OP speculated, though with its having lots of expensive options such as a truly exciting “5” level interior , a ”front axle list system, and something else new, with the majority are out the door at around $100,000.

What a well thought out plan that would be GM, especially since the new overtime BGA capacity is 33,000 units/annually.

Oversupply would then probably not be an issue, in fact could be just like 2014 when 1,000+ sold units could not be physically made (even at the then 40,500 unit/year capacity) and thus had to be prioritized as the earliest 2015’s. IMO, due to the reduction to 33,000 units max yearly, could result in demand moving well into the following year. As Kai noted on his August 29, 2017 video’d presentation, we believe we “right sized production for an entire generation” — for he also noted that without overtime, prodcution unit annual capacity is down to 24,000 per year.

Radical concept, what if GM got the demand and supply curve right to the point that for the first at least four years of a generation. And if that balance were to occur, the Plant could eliminate expensive overtime way earlier — rather than their keeping it going way too long (compared to demand) for the C7 generation.

The unhappy ones would be those FE & ME customers who did not get hooked up with the right dealers, and/or did not order soon enough.

Last edited by elegant; 02-22-2018 at 01:33 PM.
elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #44
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant View Post
What if the 2020 FE’s have an exciting new front fascia and a bump to 500 HP? That would add some juice (sales) to keeping the FE going for a few more years.

And what if the ME were to start in the upper $70K range, or even $85K as the OP speculated, though with its having lots of expensive options such as a truly exciting “5” level interior , a ”front axle list system, and something else new, with the majority are out the door at around $100,000.

What a well thought out plan that would be GM, especially since the new overtime BGA capacity is 33,000 units/annually.

Oversupply would then probably not be an issue, in fact could be just like 2014 when 1,000+ sold units could not be physically made (even at the then 40,500 unit/year capacity) and thus had to be prioritized as the earliest 2015’s. IMO, due to the reduction to 33,000 units max yearly, could result in demand moving well into the following year. As Kai noted on his August 29, 2017 video’d presentation, we believe we “right sized production for an entire generation” — for he also noted that without overtime, prodcution unit annual capacity is down to 24,000 per year.

Radical concept, what if GM got the demand and supply curve right to the point that for the first at least four years of a generation. And if that balance were to occur, the Plant could eliminate expensive overtime way earlier — rather than their keeping it going way too long (compared to demand) for the C7 generation.

The unhappy ones would be those FE & ME customers who did not get hooked up with the right dealers, and/or did not order soon enough.
The OP did not state that the ME would start at $85K. He said "average" MSRP of $85K +. That means that some would be lower in price and some would be higher in price. Lets say GM sells two of them. One at $65K and one at $105K. The average would be $85K, but the price "started" at $65K..

This is the title of this thread...." What would an average MSRP of $85K+ do to Corvette sales numbers?". He did not say..."What would a starting MSRP of $85K + do to Corvette sales numbers?"

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-22-2018 at 01:46 PM.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #45
flyforfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
So I read somewhere that the C8 may well be a mid-engine Corvette (the Zora may wind up being the C8 according to this speculation) and that the base price would ramp from the current $56K to $80K+. Hey, GM can do whatever they want, but if the average MSRP on a Corvette really goes that high (that's the base car they're talking about @ $80K+, there will be pricier versions), there is no chance GM is going to sell 30-40,000 of them annually in my view. Out of reach for that many sports car buyers. First off, there aren't that many sports cars buyers to begin with. The Corvette has always been an aspirational car (I aspired to own one, finally got there @ age 58), and guys like me get a few bucks together when they're older and many of them S T R E T C H to buy the car. I did. I wouldn't have even tried if the car had been $20K higher.

I think an awful lot of Corvette buyers are like me. I think if they really go that high on pricing they'll be lucky to sell 20K units annually. Maybe GM would prefer a higher demographic buyer and higher profit per car, but I think they would be better served to dish up a C8 version that has a window sticker closer to today's car for a number of reasons. Then they can have a couple of pricier models with a little more power, etc.

Cars are discretionary purchases, and I overcame my logic to buy this car. Because make no mistake, there are few dumber ways of flushing money down the toilet than blowing $60K than buying any brand new car. So it better make you happy. And my car does. But there are limits to my abilities to suspend sound monetary policy. So they'll lose some sales to guys who think like I do and others to guys who just can't come up with the dough, because every $10K you go north on price over a certain point reduces your buyer pool exponentially.

It is fascinating to watch this unfold. But my hope would be for a base model that carries a base price no higher than say $60K.
I think base price of $60K is wishful thinking.....I would even be surprised if it is under $100K
flyforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:19 AM   #46
Zevo
CF Senior Member

85k base would be the end of the Corvette. Corvette already has a problem with demographics. For continued success they need to pull in younger buyers. If you donít believe me, read about the problems Harley-Davidson is having.

85k plus base is way too expensive for a Corvette. Most young buyers donít consider a corvette to be a true premium car like a Porsche and 85k is basically porsche money. I think the corvette needs to represent a performance value or many buyers will move to the competition.

Iím a corvette fan, but Iím not a buyer if the base price increases much.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #47
Larry/car
CF Senior Member

I will not purchase a C8 with base price approaching ninety thousand. Heck with just an automatic transmission offered on the C8 might as well purchase a Buick.
Larry/car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #48
Atari_Prime
CF Senior Member

1) Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, Chargers, Hellcats, Stingers, and similar are not sports cars. They are muscle cars or sport sedans depending on your pleasure. These cars are generally priced between $30-75k.

2) Corvette is a sports car. It falls into the category of cars such as Viper, Gallardo, 458, 488, M3, M4, AMG whatever, S5, S8, R8, and LFA. Of these cars Corvette has the cheapest base price, followed by the M3, which has a lot less horsepower. These cars range from about $60k to 300k.

3) Corvette has never been and was never intended to be a car for the every man. There's always been something a little heavier and a little cheaper with a V8 to give you some thrills.

4) Corvette has never been and was never intended to be a profit making center. It is a technology test bed and a loss leader.

The result, Corvette will and should be priced above the best Camaro or what's the point. If you are going to compete with the big boys you need to be built like the big boys and that comes with big boy prices. A $100k Corvette will do just fine and if we are lucky will come with better interior materials to boot. So accept it, rejoice, and enjoy the new mid-engine Corvette.
Atari_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #49
Atari_Prime
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry/car View Post
I will not purchase a C8 with base price approaching ninety thousand. Heck with just an automatic transmission offered on the C8 might as well purchase a Buick.
Put your manual C7 on a track against an automatic C7 with the same setup and it will beat you around every time. Let go of the past, embrace the future.
Atari_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #50
elegant
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
The vast majority of Vettes sold are base models.
Erroneous. As per official GM statistics provided annually to the National Corvette Museum. Here are final 2017 production stats.

And when one additionally factors in not just the model, but that 2/3’s choose to purchase either the 2 level or 3 level interiors, paying $4K convertibles and so many other expensive options, it is easily seen that while some Corvettes are purchased at the lower end of the price scale, many are near-fully-loaded GS and Z06’s.
Attached Images

Last edited by elegant; 02-23-2018 at 02:54 PM.
elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • What would an average MSRP of $85K+ do to Corvette sales numbers?
  •