Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette

Old 06-10-2018, 09:47 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by bebezote
sorry if this has been discussed already.... 17"or so HD tablet running all inside similar to Tesla... just a rumor I know, does anyone know more?
Not only will this car have a backup camera on the rear with possible dual fresnel technology rear tail lights. But most likely it will have front cameras for the front as well. The C7 has both front and rear cameras already for ease of safe parking. Then we have also seen what appears to be a HD Digital Rear View Streaming Mirror/Camera on top of B pillar roof beam and centered for wide splayed view. A HD tablet makes sense. I just don't know how big it would be. A 17" is just too big for a driver centric interior design. A smaller one might work like the one McLaren just did with the 720S.

http://cars.mclaren.com/files/live/s...79.jpg?t=w1440
The following users liked this post:
elegant (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:08 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Porsche's 98" WB toy awaits! ;)

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/2018-porsche-718-cayman-gt4-rs-ar170443.html

GM's base ME's got its work cut out for it!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-10-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:11 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Not only will this car have a backup camera on the rear with possible dual fresnel technology rear tail lights. But most likely it will have front cameras for the front as well. The C7 has both front and rear cameras already for ease of safe parking. Then we have also seen what appears to be a HD Digital Rear View Streaming Mirror/Camera on top of B pillar roof beam and centered for wide splayed view. A HD tablet makes sense. I just don't know how big it would be. A 17" is just too big for a driver centric interior design. A smaller one might work like the one McLaren just did with the 720S.

http://cars.mclaren.com/files/live/s...79.jpg?t=w1440

very cool.thanks.. skank.... gotta look up the fresnel tech. tail lights... don't know much about... kinda figured they for sure would have a 4 camera system.. bottom of 2 mirrors, front and rear...with mixing the signals to the pad... been on a bunch of cars for years..
Old 06-10-2018, 10:36 PM
bebezote
Pro

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/2018-porsche-718-cayman-gt4-rs-ar170443.html

GM's base ME's got its work cut out for it!

hi johnlenn2... boy...I never paid attention to the 718 till you posted...spent just a few minutes...looking over all... you're right... its got its work cut out...and its a big bite... have to say.. if gm can make it less than 100k .. it can be as many here imagine... if the ME is in the 120+ range... it has to be real, real good... thats a sobering comparison you posted..the 718 of where the ME has to be.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:21 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

How about the 2020 ME Corvette starting at approximately the same price as a Caymen S, yet the Corvette ME yet having roughly 150 more HP and approximately 175 more TQ.

BTW, a Caymen S’ MSRP is $69,300.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:27 PM
bebezote
Pro

Originally Posted by elegant
How about the 2020 ME Corvette starting at approximately the same price as a Caymen S, yet the Corvette ME yet having roughly 150 more HP and approximately 175 more TQ.

for sure elegant..especially if the ME has factory turbo... that allows simple, exaust, intake, programer mods for some of us that want to boost more.. for cheap.. that may net another 150 hp over stock.

I really would like to see forged pistons, though instead of hyperE (KB pistons)... that would be a game changer really...and o ringed heads... fully forged bottom end... if flat plane.. my god.. its a dream I know...lol..
Old 06-10-2018, 11:48 PM
bebezote
Pro

just saw a video of a FPC ford voodoo w twin turbo...it was 5.2L but put down like 1100hp at the wheels and 600tq... this is getting exciting... if chevy builds the ME car with forged bottom end... w a TT... it would just take minimal mods to add 150 plus hp... with stock turbos....
Old 06-11-2018, 12:14 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

very cool.thanks.. skank.... gotta look up the fresnel tech. tail lights... don't know much about... kinda figured they for sure would have a 4 camera system.. bottom of 2 mirrors, front and rear...with mixing the signals to the pad... been on a bunch of cars for years..
I put a question in The Ask Tadge section on this subject
Old 06-11-2018, 07:32 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default The GT4 RS an Engineering exercise! ;)

Originally Posted by elegant

Interesting similar per my recent C8 request it's just a ME without all their State of the Art helpers and stuff. Bigger aero on the Nurburgring too! Almost verbatim as I had just considered looking at costs and weight in a Z51. (Figures PTV made it though, but, how about with the longer WB!?)
The small size of its wheelbase and motor as possibly being necessary, that C8 base 20 million dollar question? How much of the race car can the base C8 be? Again, the powerful Carrara GT had their longish WB.
Hence, yes, this is a full circle absolutely relative comparison post here (My Style!)! Glean from their Engineering work!

That GM bigger power ME Auto decision!

The Cayman’s slick six-speed manual feels antique in comparison but so engaging. Yet pull that gear lever into the wrong slot, Mr. Human Being, and it’s the quickest way to spin, crash, or overrev and destroy that fine flat masterpiece hanging close to the pavement behind you. One slipup will cost you $$$. The PDK eliminates that risk, and it’s faster, and I support Porsche’s decision to equip the RS with it only.

PTV!?

I’m less than thrilled with this 911’s ability to put its 500 hp to the ground. In second gear, wheelspin-induced oversteer is easily provoked in all-natural form with the stability controls off. I felt this in Germany, too, but not in the GT3. Perhaps this can be improved with a little more front anti-roll bar. I plan to find out.

No Pobst turning some stuff off on a street car!?
A manual with less cost and weight, with more C8 WB!? A 3,200lb C6 like Z51 ME.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...-track-review/

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-11-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:26 PM
bebezote
Pro

do you. think they will offer a manual... driven the pdk and it is awesome... when bmw made the smg, way back ...it was an awesome experience... if dual disk and pdk similar.. id for sure go paddle shift...so quick and hopefully a pdk type launch control...

thi is exciting!!
Old 06-11-2018, 03:21 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

do you. think they will offer a manual... driven the pdk and it is awesome... when bmw made the smg, way back ...it was an awesome experience... if dual disk and pdk similar.. id for sure go paddle shift...so quick and hopefully a pdk type launch control...

thi is exciting!!
Read and study the list on page 1. It's all there from what we have gleaned.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:22 PM
bebezote
Pro

will do..thanks
Old 06-11-2018, 07:17 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default So not buying the ME with a longer WB is buying a lot?

thi is exciting!!
Hopefully, it will at least work on the C8R Skank!

(Verifying my thought process reducing cost by for example going back to a mechanical LS diff to save weight and expense in a Z51.
Some ediff operation is redundant at higher speeds if you have bigger aero, therefore, that nice track pack adaptable setup gets it done.)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-13-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

After viewing a current side view image of the ME I scaled the wheel and tire size relative to the wheelbase(front hub center to rear hub center). Using the ratio and proportion theorem it calculates out to almost a perfect match of the wheelbase 106.7" of the C7 FE chassis wheelbase. Most likely both FE and ME have matching wheelbase measurements to fit the new Skillet System on the Line. Elegant brought to my attention the advantages of the skillet system process and it makes logical sense to have identical wheelbases of both for manufacturing efficiencies of both configurations.
So what is the ratio and proportion theorem? Identical wheel bases between two models of vastly different designs, is hardly a design objective that any engineer would entertain.
I thought that you would have taken delight to answer my query as to the the design and materials of the various components of this new car's chassis the other day. It's very pertinent to the very exotic structure of the ME chassis.
Take a look at the location of the engine placement of the C7 and ME below. A long wheel base will provide challenges for the structural engineers as it does with all ME chassis designs.

Do you know the bending and torsional bending properties of the C7 chassis? It's actually worse than the C6 mainly because they increased the wheel base. I have measured mine. A roll cage fixed it and made it very stiff.
Tage made the C7 chassis as light and stiff as he dared. The ME is not going to be so easy because of the placement of the engine.
The C7 and C6 chassis is loaded at it's extremes. The engines are over the front axle and not behind it. Tire friction circles were optimized in a very clever way which required a very compliant suspension. It took me a long time to figure out the thinking behind the C7 chassis. Very clever and cheap just like the C8 ME will be.

Now you have aggravated these moments by the placement of the engine in the ME chassis. Everything changes and no suspension or chassis parts are interchangeable like some have here have suggested. The only way to fix it is to shorten the wheel base or redesign the structure or use different materials. Ah, the materials.

The advancement of material science makes this car possible. The McLaren F1 became the yardstick of modern sports cars. Long wheel base and the use of exotic materials. Theexotic material that GM will use have become cheap.

Patents and materials research by GM has been covered in this forum pertaining to the structure of the ME chassis dating back to 1993. Some of that and my own interest in modern structural materials is what I present here. Observation of the CAD chassis and my own involvement with chassis design leads me to the following conclusions.
Starting with the C5's A356-T6 cast aluminum front and rear suspension crossmembers. GM had already begun to experiment with magnesium.
The C6 got Cast Magnesium Crossmembers and the 3 pound front fenders of the C6 Z06 were made of carbon unidirectional prepreg, autoclave cured ACG.
The C7 was a further development of this structure and the use of these materials and the ACG parts parts made in Israel which has contracts with the Pentagon.
The ME is going to use much titanium and magnesium with creep resistant Mg Alloys of MRI153M and MRI230D

Extremely advanced methods that have never been used before on cars will be employed. Magnesium die casting with advanced thermal anti distortion flow control in the major structures. Magnesium is cheap, it has been difficult to produce because of oxidation. Aluminum doesn't have this problem when cast. Modern methods have made magnesium viable.
Squeeze cast AZ91 D magnesium micro structures for windshield bulkhead and seats , advanced mapping to control residual stresses for thin walled magnesium die castings in steering components, etc.
The cast magnesium engine cradle and front sub frame are the major structural components which are connected to the center carbon fiber backbone and the two hydro formed perimeter aluminum perimeter rails with magnesium die casted closures.
The OHC engines will have magnesium cylinder blocks and other components such as plenums and manifolds and other castings. The use of titanium and magnesium based MMCs will be found in the engine also.
The car will be much lighter than the C7.
We will have the best Vette yet at the same time we have the best president yet. Golly, life is good.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:41 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Default New Advancements in Headlight and Tail light LED Technology

The new ME Zora definitely has a unusual taillight binnacle shape to it. From the Zerv leaks we can see that it wraps around to the side of the car. There are new LED lighting advancements that are being developed by numerous manufacturers. GM, I believe is on top of this tech and will advance both headlight and taillight designs to take advantage of this new tech. Here are a few video's from other manufacturers that show the possibilities going forward.
Some of the Suppliers are Listed below also.

https://www.hella.com/hella-com/Inno...stems-877.html

https://zkw-group.com/en/home/produc...g-innovations/

Last edited by skank; 07-07-2018 at 05:23 PM.
elegant (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

This is a universal and functional use of ultimate intelligence. This could rid me, and others, of the disturbance to driving at night to avoid deer and elk.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Can we say obessed? Wow. Its a damn Corvette not the second coming of Jesus.
ojm (11-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette

Old 07-07-2018, 05:18 PM
ltomn
Pro

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Can we say obessed? Wow. Its a damn Corvette not the second coming of Jesus.
Obsessed?? Not hardly, just acutely interested in advancing technology.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 PM
ltomn
Pro

There are several great companies doing fascinating work for present manufactures. Have a look at the first Matrix HD84 LED module with 84 LED's in 3 rows. The lighting system is presently used by Mercedes. Incredible use of LED's and lens structure to do what is needed to get the job done.

https://www.hella.com/hella-com/en/R...Lamps-622.html

Last edited by ltomn; 07-07-2018 at 05:39 PM.
elegant (07-07-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:14 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Like Ferrari has done with the 488 Model I believe we will have a standard narrow body ME Zora in year 2020 then a wide body higher performance version the next year in 2021. I'm putting this on the List as a potential.

Last edited by skank; 07-09-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette