Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Default List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette

How about we generate a numbered list of observed known and identifiable components, technologies, and obvious configurations that we can glean from these leaked CAD views.
Here's a start from some of my own thoughts and of other posts on the Code Name Zerv thread. I am crediting the forum member after their comment with their call name in parentheses. If anybody see's something wrong, please advise and we can adjust and/or add further info when we receive new information. I'm also including a new predictive feature determining whether each observed element is a Base or Optional feature.
Any comments ending with a ? are a potential feature.

1. A world class super car not constrained by entry level materials to keep cost down but instead GM giving us the latest and greatest technology both while composing the chassis & body and while selecting interior material and then charge your customer for what you have built. (JoeC5)(Vetteman41960) Optional
2. A no-compromised super car with the best material and technology available. (Vetteman41960) Optional
3. This mid-engine car will be another model (ZORA).. separate from the C7 and its successor C8. (MikeG37)(LT1 Z51)
4. We evaluate engine placement as not ALL Corvettes necessarily need to be front-engine cars. Front engine still remains the best balance, best optimization of what we feel the car needs to be. (JoeC5)
5. He used the word "all" and not "the". I take that to mean that in a future Corvette offering, that not every Corvette will be front-engine configuration, or that every Corvette will be a mid engine configuration, but that there will be multiple engine placements available to chose from. (JoeC5)
6. That's one reason I'm inclined to believe that a front engine and a mid engine Corvette will be offered at the same time, as two distinct model formats. (JoeC5)
7. DCT Transaxle (shift by wire) ZF on high hp DOHC models with Tremec DCT Transaxle on the LT2 base model. (RedLS6) (Skank) Base and optional
8. Magneto Rheological Engine mounts and Coil Over Magneto Rheological Shocks. (Firebirdfan)(Skank) Base
9. Space Frame Chassis has front and rear subframes. (LT1 Z51)(Shaka) Base
10. Both Front Headlight and Rear Tail light assemblies have wrap around design to eliminate side marker lights. The rear air diffusers on the photo of the rear fascia wrap around the corner, while the diffuser in the CAD photo do not. (JoesC5)(bigblock427)(FrankLP) Base
11. Three longitudinal layout engine configurations, 4.6L DOHC Two Stage Twin Turbo Charged V8, Gen6 LT7 5.5L DOHC Two Stage Twin Turbo Charged V8, New Gen6 LT2 6.2L OHV V8 as base engine. (Firebirdfan)(Iker)(LT1 Z51)(Elegant)(SBC_and_a_stick) Base and Optional
12. Integrated Intercoolers. (Downhil) Optional
13. Advanced high-pressure die-cast aluminum or magnesium structural ribbed chassis stiffeners, struts, and brackets. (Skank) Base
14. Adaptive Aerodynamics or Active Aero as indicated in Patent Application and Zerv leaked CAD views of underside hinged flap shutter panel. (Elegant)(CorvettoBrando) Optional
15. Active Aero Front and Rear to be moved by electric motors, not hydraulics or pneumatics. Electric motors react quicker and are lighter. (Elegant) Optional
16. DRS(drag reduction system) Vents to close off at higher speeds? (Skank) Optional
17. Brembo Carbon Ceramic Disc Brakes with 5 Lug nut forged wheels. (Skank) Optional
18. Dual Layer Designed Symmetrical Forged wheels. (Skank) Optional
19. One Large Center and two flanking corner Front Fascia vents to cool rear mid-engine configuration cooling system. (Skank) Base
20. Coupe Targa Configuration same as current C7. (possible folding hardtop convertible) (Skank) Base and Optional
21. Cast A-Arms. (Skank) Base
22. Tubular factory short headers instead of cast exhaust manifolds possibly in Inconel. (Firebirdfan)(LT1 Z51)(Skank) Optional
23. Dual Fresnel Tail Light Technology like the C7. (Skank) Base
24. Higher Carbon Fiber Body Panel Content. (Skank) Base and Optional
25. Side Rear view Mirrors appear to be able to rotate in out of the way. (Skank) Base
26. Dual Bubble roof shape. (Skank) Base
27. Precision Smooth Cast Alloy Intake Runners from Air Box to DOHC engined Two Stage Twin Turbochargers. (Skank) Optional
28. Massive Throttle Body on (LT2) Push Rod Engine. (LT2) Base
29. Upper front arms look to be similar to C7 with trunions. (Firebirdfan) Base
30. Lower front arms look to be similar to C7 with camber eccentrics. (Firebirdfan) Base
31. Rear subframe is HUGE and is a mix of cast parts and welded tube. (Firebirdfan) Base
32. Engine has alternator relocated. (Firebirdfan) Base
33. Not sure what the upper-right accessory pulley is for. Upper left is water pump, lower right is AC. (Firebirdfan) Base
34. Oil filter looks easy to get to. (Firebirdfan) Base
35. Oil cooler clearly shown above filter. (Firebirdfan) Base
36. Half-shafts look to be the "bolt on flange" style (no draining trans to remove shafts). (Firebirdfan) Base
37. Transaxle is BEEFY. (Firebirdfan) Base
38. Giant flat space above transaxle is more than likely for intake box/filter. (Firebirdfan) Base
39. Frame looks to be similar to C7 with giant hydroformed rails (probably still aluminum) Hopefully with a fixed roof it'll be stiffer. (Firebirdfan) Base
40. Brake rotors are 1 piece. Calipers are MASSIVE. (Firebirdfan) Base
41. Side skirts are mechanically fastened just like C7. (Firebirdfan) Base
42. Brake ducts clearly shown on front. (Firebirdfan) Base
43. Rectangular Shaped Steering Wheel. (DanSavage) Base
44. Looks like it will have adjustable suspension(Front axle lift system) gaging by the pneumatic or hydraulic line apparently emanating from the bottom of the LF shock/spring assembly. I assume this because the brake line and ABS speed sensor wire are also visible in the same view...this and zooming in on the bracket that these mount to on the frame indicates 2 significant hoses' hard mounting points on the frame where they will transition to tubing. (bub) Optional
45. It looks like a Dual Port and Direct injection system. (NoOne) Optional
46. High tunnel in the cockpit is for torsional rigidity, coolant lines, electrical bussing etc. (TNBUSA)(LT1 Z51)(RedLS6) Base
47. Shared central structure with the FMR base car. (LT1 Z51) Base
48. Spoiler is integrated and deployable....no tacked on pieces. (Spy shot observation) Base
49. Rear brake ducts and/or vents from the wheel well to the rear bumper to reduce the pressure build-up in the wheel well.(NewYuriCity) Base
50. New "state of the art" paint shop to provide higher level paint quality. (Skank) Base
51. A Cadillac version further down the road. (JerriVette) Optional
52. Higher Quality Standards and higher Durability Standards. (LT1 Z51) Base
53. Rear spoiler actuator to be piston style electronic actuator ? (firstvettesoon) Optional
54. All-LED headlamps and tail lamps. (Speednet) Base
55. Digital Rear View Streaming Mirror/Camera on top of B pillar roof beam on hatch and centered for wide splayed view. Will require a flat screen in dash. (Elegant) (Skank)(RedDropTop) Base
56. Centerline Bookmatched Carbon Fiber Components since ZR1 already set the precedent. (Skank) Optional
57. Convertible version to have Retractable Hardtop ? (Skank) Optional
58. Lithium Ion Battery Option is at the front of car for ease of jumpstart and weight management of location. ? (Suns_PSD) Optional
59. Carbon Fiber Wheel Option ? (JerriVette) Optional
60. New Bowling Green Plant manufacturing Advancements(Skillet System)to accommodate both FE and ME identical wheelbase. (Elegant) Base
61. Possible use of AKC ZF rear wheel steering unit since GM now has it in use in the Cadillac ? (JoesC5) Optional
62. Solid Hardtop option (Bolted in roof panel like C6 ZR1) for the ultimate structural rigidity ? (Skank) Base
63. State of the Art Bose Panaray Sound System Option ? (Skank) Optional
64. Dual Rear Brake Calipers ? (Elegant) Optional
65. AEB (automatic emergency braking) ? (Elegant) Base
66. Back-up alarms ? (Elegant) Base
67. BSP (blind spot protection) ? (Elegant) Base
68. Plasma Ignition Controller ? (texel) Base
69. Corvette will use an advanced mixed-material approach for the lightweight body structure of the upcoming Mid Engined ZORA. (Skank) Base
70. The front hood is hinged from the back near the windshield for easy access to the frunk. (Skank) Base
71. The fuel door is on the driver side. (Skank) Base
72. The Frunk storage cavity will most likely have a premium quality soft luggage set optimized for the cavity shape. (Skank) Optional
73. The Height of car is approximately 48.5" ?? (Skank) Base
74. New Advanced Headlight and Taillight LED technologies. (Skank) Base
75. Standard narrow body in 2020 as the base model ZORA (Skank) Base
76. Wide body higher performance version in 2021 as a mid-level model ZORA. (Skank) Optional
77. Wide body top performance version in 2022 as a top level model ZORA. (Skank) Optional
78. FCA/FCW e.g. frontal collision avoidance/warning. (Elegant) Base
79. Electro-Hydraulic Braking Assist? (Elegant) Base
80. New ZF Steering Damper to integrate into ZF System? (Elegant) Base
81. Swan Style(Aston Martin) upswing Doors to eliminate hitting curbs.(Ltomn) Base
82. Large full rear hatch with separate Storage compartment within engine compartment? (Ltomn) Base
83. Cosworth to make heads for the 4.6 and 5.5 V8's. (fasttoys) Optional
84. Possible electronically actuated manual transmission? (sunsalem) Base
85. Potential Hybrid Drivetrain technology as indicated in GM Patent? (Darion) Optional
86. Left and right hand drive for all markets worldwide for C8 ME ZORA and C8 FE. (Skank) Base
87. Potential of all wheel drive since GM has trademarked Sport Control AWD? (Jeff V.) Optional
88. Potential of ZF Electronic "Brake By Wire" System? (Elegant) Base
89. The Vent material and color palette will follow the C7 formula. (Skank) Base
90. The Mid-Engine Corvette's Hatch has a unique design to aid cooling. (69) Base
91. A GT model that is designed for Grand Touring. (unlimitedPower) Base
92. Lear Seats in all models of the ZORA. (vetteb_69C) Base
93. New 12/48V Electrical System on all ZORA models. (ShagVette, Elegant) Base
94. New High Tech Laminated Corning Gorilla Glass as possible Glass spec. (Elegant) Base
95. Power swinging opening doors for Swan Style Doors. (jagamajajaran) Base
96. Potential placement of plasma actuators to enhance Aero Tech? (Sheepdog) Base
97. Potential split rear window detail ? (Skank) Base
98. Potential Active Side Aero System? (Elegant, Jagamajajaran) Optional
99. Potential passive two stage oil separation system on C8 engines? (Elegant) Base
100. Potential active hybrid rear spoiler that functions side to side? (jagamajajaran) (Elegant) Optional
101. Potential of High Definition Rear backup camera? (Elegant) Base
102. Potential of Adjustable Splitter System? (Elegant, jagamajajaran) Optional
103. Potential of Aerodynamic Under Body Strakes? (Elegant, jagamajajaran) Optional

Last edited by skank; 05-19-2019 at 10:58 AM.
The following 17 users liked this post by skank:
68roadster (09-19-2018), 91ZR1 (08-16-2018), dmaxx3500 (06-17-2018), elegant (02-15-2018), entologix (12-17-2018), I-SPEEED (09-26-2018), Kevin Marshall (11-24-2018), kratedisease (07-15-2019), LB001 (03-03-2018), ltomn (03-02-2018), NewYuriCity (06-11-2018), nist7 (09-18-2018), RedDropTop (05-12-2018), senah (02-17-2018), Suns_PSD (05-28-2018), tooold2race (09-18-2018), Weasel (04-25-2019) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:44 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

You have listed this before.

"Space Frame Chassis

Rear subframe is HUGE and is a mix of cast parts and welded tube
Frame looks to be similar to C7 with giant hydroformed rails (probably still aluminum)
Magnesium Structural Ribbed Diecast Chassis stiffeners and struts
Cast A-Arms
Upper front arms look to be similar to C7 with trunions.
Lower front arms look to be similar to C7 with camber eccentrics.
Higher Carbon Fiber Body Panel Content
Three longitudinal layout engine configurations, 4.4L DOHC Two Stage Twin Turbo Charged V8, 5.5L DOHC Two Stage Twin Turbo Charged V8, 6.2L OHV Supercharged V8
Twin Turbochargers
Dual Layer Designed Symmetrical Forged wheels
Active Aero Front and Rear"

It is not a space frame. Like the C7, it employs a number of structures. Perimeter and backbone with no planetary connection and except for the two connector sections at each end of the frame, the two chassis share some similarities.
The C8 has front and rear subframes that connect this structure at each end which eliminate the two bulk heads on the C7 which perform torsional resistant duties. A lot to ask of those 3 longitudinal beams especially if this car gets 800 plus HP. The backbone performs two duties, bending and torsion. It is much shorter on the ME because the subframes protrude into each end of the backbone.
The big difference is how the beam is loaded with the ME design. The engine location makes a big difference. The ME's engine is in front of the rear axle and the C7 over the front axle. The bending moment is more on the ME and normally, this would mean a heavier chassis, but the subframe alters the load path. I think the high performance MEs will be near 4000lbs.
It can't or shouldn't have the flex that the C7 has but I can't see how it will be less. This I gotta see. It can't come close to a 458/88 or a Huracan.
It is not structured like any of the modern ME sports car designs. It also has a longer wheel base than other ME cars which aggravates bending and torsion.
I don't see the upper control arms. I hope they are not like the C7. The travel starts of negative in full trounce and continues to gain in negative camber to full droop which is a big no no in chassis design. This looses much grip on the inside tires. Eccentrics don't belong on a sports car. Hope it has 4 wheel steering. Sure hope they have it right.
I thought the OHV engine would be N/A. How do you know it is twin turbo with a throttle body???? I was hoping that the entry level ME would have a OHV engine with a manual Xaxle.
How do you know there is CF in the body structure or panels? My C6 Z06 has carbon fiber front fenders which weigh 3lbs each. Maybe there will be CF body parts. I expect the backbone to be CF like the Huracan has.

Last edited by Shaka; 02-15-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:34 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Yes Shaka. You remember on Post 564 of the Code Name Zerv thread you requested that I start the list. Your very words were "yoo start". I did and I read the entire Code Name Zerv for the second time and extracted any plausible info out of it that made sense by all that posted any logical comments. Most(not all) of the comments on the above list were in the Code Name Zerv thread. I wish your new comment on the chassis configuration had been posted on the earlier thread as your observation of it makes sense. I would have certainly gleaned much of it and added it to this main list. Like I prefaced in first paragraph, if there are any adjustments, deletions, or new revelations on what we perceive this new mid engined C8 to be, lets adjust it and add any further info down line. I've already added Elegant's rear view streaming camera observation yesterday. I will continue to monitor the entire C8 section of any new observations to add to this list. If you could condense your thoughts on the chassis configuration and minimize it to a shorter description I will certainly add it to this list. Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by skank:
IronV (05-12-2018), Shaka (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:16 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by skank
Yes Shaka. You remember on Post 564 of the Code Name Zerv thread you requested that I start the list. Your very words were "yoo start". I did and I read the entire Code Name Zerv for the second time and extracted any plausible info out of it that made sense by all that posted any logical comments. Most(not all) of the comments on the above list were in the Code Name Zerv thread. I wish your new comment on the chassis configuration had been posted on the earlier thread as your observation of it makes sense. I would have certainly gleaned much of it and added it to this main list. Like I prefaced in first paragraph, if there are any adjustments, deletions, or new revelations on what we perceive this new mid engined C8 to be, lets adjust it and add any further info down line. I've already added Elegant's rear view streaming camera observation yesterday. I will continue to monitor the entire C8 section of any new observations to add to this list. If you could condense your thoughts on the chassis configuration and minimize it to a shorter description I will certainly add it to this list. Thanks
We would have to go over to the race section where there are some engineers. Not too much interest in chassis design this side. Even then, since the car won't be available for a while, it won't attract a lot of interest there either. Thanks for trying though.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

According to the CAD drawings we have seen, it appears that the DCT may be ZF sourced(same as with the Porsche 911). Since the Porsche GT3 has a ZF sourced rear wheel steering, maybe we will see the ZF rear wheel steering on the mid engine GM car.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
conceptmachine (02-18-2018), skank (02-18-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'm curious if the c7 design is inferior as suggested in the above posts...why is the c7 z51, grand sport and z06 not to mention the zR1 raping all the holier than thou super exotics on the race tracks?

Chassis design deficiencies in the c7 seemed to top the list of must haves, same for suspension design...

Kind of made the c7 as if it was a POS compared to the European exotic supercars but the question begs...

Why does the c7 grand sport and z06 kick the crap out of mclaren s, ferraris, Lamborghini that cost three and four times as much...?

I think that list of c8 rear mid engine features is cool...just not sure GM will need to charge exotic car like pricing to offer it...and if I take does..GM will pass on that feature...

Why bother....?

GM sports car is already kicking the performance crap out of the mclaren s, ferraris and Lamborghini...before it even hits the rear mid engine design ...

Carbon fiber wheels would be or should be on your "exclusive" list of options....

Fords fancy mustang has carbon fiber wheels As standard...

PS....I actually believe the lowered unsprung weight of carbon fiber wheels has a dramatic impact on driving experience and reviews....

It's an impressive improvement in driving experience most any auto enthusiast can appreciate...should be on your list....since money is no object...

Last edited by JerriVette; 02-19-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I'm curious if the c7 design is inferior as suggested in the above posts...why is the c7 z51, grand sport and z06 not to mention the zR1 raping all the holier than thou super exotics on the race tracks?

Chassis design deficiencies in the c7 seemed to top the list of must haves, same for suspension design...

Kind of made the c7 as if it was a POS compared to the European exotic supercars but the question begs...

Why does the c7 grand sport and z06 kick the crap out of mclaren s, ferraris, Lamborghini that cost three and four times as much...?

I think that list of c8 rear mid engine features is cool...just not sure GM will need to charge exotic car like pricing to offer it...and if I take does..GM will pass on that feature...

Why bother....?

GM sports car is already kicking the performance crap out of the mclaren s, ferraris and Lamborghini...before it even hits the rear mid engine design ...

Carbon fiber wheels would be or should be on your "exclusive" list of options....

Fords fancy mustang has carbon fiber wheels As standard...

PS....I actually believe the lowered unsprung weight of carbon fiber wheels has a dramatic impact on driving experience and reviews....

It's an impressive improvement in driving experience most any auto enthusiast can appreciate...should be on your list....since money is no object...
Where has it been written that a C7 is a POS?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The 2014 C7 Stingray won more major awards when it was revealed to within its one year anniversary, than every other vehicle that has ever debuted, e.g. over 20.

While we will excitedly get a ME, we still have a crush on our C7 Z06. Running errands = really good/makes doing it fun. Driving curvy country roads in a spirited manner = GREAT. Driving cross country on road trips = Super traveler. Taking it to visit friends = a ball. Being something to put a smile on every single time we drive it = always.

Looking outstanding (our race car with a license plate) = all the time.

Last edited by elegant; 02-19-2018 at 11:22 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by elegant:
dcbingaman (07-25-2018), entologix (12-17-2018), tooold2race (09-18-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 03:21 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Joe, while there were comments on the Code Name Zerv thread indicating that the DCT/Transaxle looked like a ZF unit I don't know for sure if it has been validated as such. And if ZF does in fact build a rear wheel steering unit, does it show on any of Zerv's leaks? This list is for observations of identifiable components that we can see on his leaked CAD drawings.

Last edited by skank; 02-19-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:32 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Jerri, I agree that the Mid engine should have carbon fiber wheels but that will certainly be a option if indeed it happens. I believe this car is going to base at 150k at least and option up to 200k. Carbon fiber wheels will help in driving that cost up. I have a friend that just cancelled his 150k Porsche 911 GTS order and is waiting to see what this new mid engine Corvette will look like. He is very interested in switching from Porsche to Corvette.

Last edited by skank; 02-19-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:10 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

there were comments on the Code Name Zerv thread indicating that the DCT/Transaxle looked like a ZF unit I don't know for sure if it has been validated as such. .

It hasn't been validated as such, but the two units (CAD drawings versus ZF PDK) appear to be almost-identical twins down to the placement and number of bolts holding on the top cover. See subsequent posts for more pics and discussion...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596312478

Some "in the know" claim the final DCT will be a Tremec, however I'm betting on a ZF.

Last edited by RedLS6; 02-19-2018 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
skank (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:42 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

Why does the c7 grand sport and z06 kick the crap out of mclaren s, ferraris, Lamborghini that cost three and four times as much...?...[/B]
Well................because of DRIVER proficiency! More people can afford to track a Corvette, and those few who can afford to track a McLaren or Lambo Hurracan, or 488 Ferrari are LESS qualified to track it. They "may" also be afraid of it, and/or afraid of the crash consequences!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:15 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Well................because of DRIVER proficiency! More people can afford to track a Corvette, and those few who can afford to track a McLaren or Lambo Hurracan, or 488 Ferrari are LESS qualified to track it. They "may" also be afraid of it, and/or afraid of the crash consequences!
I didn't realize car and driver lightning lap had different drivers for the exotics versus the driver s for the corvette.

Thanks for that bit of information...

The are all great cars...
Old 03-03-2018, 07:19 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Since the ZR1 already set the precedent with centerline book matched carbon fiber components, the mid engined will certainly follow suit. And after viewing Elegants ME’s rear view camera thread, it does appear the rear window and recessed area behind the rear window look to match the Ferrari 488 Spyder retractable hardtop configuration. I'm also betting that the rear window will travel down just like the 488 to be able to hear the exhaust sound.

Last edited by skank; 03-03-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:48 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Since the ZR1 already set the precedent with centerline book matched carbon fiber components, the mid engined will certainly follow suit. And after viewing Elegants ME’s rear view camera thread, it does appear the rear window and recessed area behind the rear window look to match the Ferrari 488 Spyder retractable hardtop configuration. I'm also betting that the rear window will travel down just like the 488 to be able to hear the exhaust sound.
You don't think that maybe there will be more then one model of the ME? If so, some of these outlandish, technological marvels may be on one model and not another. Or better yet, become an option that one has to chose to pay for.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Lightweight Li battery, stock. Hey, I'm shooting low but it's an easy and inexpensive way to shave 35# and also to save space, allowing engineers to package the battery in a more ideal manner and also reduce cable length.
skank (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 06:06 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

I'd love to see carbon fiber wheels. I believe that decrease in unsprung weight is an amazing advancement in handling and handling feel.

The multiplication of value on unsprung weight reduction versus sprung weight reduction is fascinating.

Fords move to offer carbon fiber wheels on the mustang gt350r would be a wise move for the corvette team to consider for the c8.

I'm not sure I'd opt for the added cost but the ballers in this forum surely sound as if they would and the increase in msrp would delight many ...

Reducing unsprung weight utilizing carbon fiber wheels would be a fantastic option for the c8.

Like I said..I doubt I'd spring for the cost but from reading various responses on this forum asking for pricing to eliminate the riff raff by just raising the base msrp...

This option of carbon fiber wheels as an expensive option might satisfy both camps..

That's my hope to see such really expensive options available from the factory plus it allow us to see even from a distance..those that put up the bank rolls they so desperately want to project...

Plus the performance gain and the driver experience improvement should be quite impressive.

Half the time I read the mustang gt350 r reviews in the back of my mind I'm wondering how great an impact those carbon fiber wheels contributed to the excellent road test review...(forget about the instrument testing data for the moment)

I seriously believe dramatically lowering unsprung weight has a dramatic impact on driving feel and experience.

Kudos to Ford for offering that carbon fiber wheel as part of the R package..

I hope as an avid and long time corvette enthusiast...I hope the c8 offers this factory option.

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-05-2018 at 06:09 PM.
skank (03-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette

Old 03-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I agree on CF wheels, however some forged aluminum 18" wheels (because they are 18", not because they are aluminum) would reduce the moment of inertia even more, ride and handle better, and be much less expensive to boot.

Large wheels have been detrimental to the performance of cars overall, there is a reason no race cars run large diameter wheels, just large enough to clear the brakes.

I'd really like the Z06 to be a street-able track version of the car that should have the following: large NA engine, manual trans, less electronics, lightweight battery, manual seat controls, 2 piece iron rotors, 18" forged wheels. It should still have AC, a nice radio, heated seats, basic things that a car needs to operate on the street.

Save the over the top luxury stuff with the pimp 21" wheels for the ZR1.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 03-07-2018 at 10:32 AM.
AORoads (04-07-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 05:43 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

In the latest Ask Tadge response on the ZR1 he mentions this comment.

The LT5 engine pushes almost a kilogram of super-heated gas through the exhaust pipes every second at full power. The temperature and pressure of the exhaust was actually enough to inflate sections of the exhaust pipe like a water balloon under extensive track testing. We had to upgrade the steel in the system and redesign sections to cope with those stresses. Shields had to be added in strategic locations to insulate things like electrical connectors and half-shaft boots from the extreme temperatures.

Usually that entails using Inconel as the go to metal which is a austenitic nickel-chromium-based superalloy. It's used in the Aerospace Industry and many high heat applications which would include mid engined exhaust manifolds. Ferrari is using this alloy for their new 488 Pista exhaust system. See at 1:13 of video.

From Wikipedia
Inconel alloys are oxidation-corrosion-resistant materials well suited for service in extreme environments subjected to pressure and heat. When heated, Inconel forms a thick, stable, passivating oxide layer protecting the surface from further attack. Inconel retains strength over a wide temperature range, attractive for high temperature applications where aluminum and steel would succumb to creep as a result of thermally induced crystal vacancies. Inconel’s high temperature strength is developed by solid solution strengthening or precipitation hardening, depending on the alloy.

It probably makes sense to use this superalloy for the mid engined exhaust manifold since it is also has twin turbochargers like the Pista! The 488GTB exhaust manifold also appear to be 3D printed or at least could be precision cast.

Last edited by skank; 04-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by skank:
dmaxx3500 (06-17-2018), elegant (04-04-2018), Shaka (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 05:57 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Lightweight Li battery, stock. Hey, I'm shooting low but it's an easy and inexpensive way to shave 35# and also to save space, allowing engineers to package the battery in a more ideal manner and also reduce cable length.
Does the li battery weigh zero pounds? Heck, the AutoZone Gold lead acid battery in my C6 Z06 just weighs 29 pounds. How can a li battery shave 35 pounds off that?

A li battery will run up the cost vs using the lead acid battery. Heck man, getting rid of the AFM would shave weight and also shave costs of the car. Win-win.

Quick Reply: List of components, technologies, and configurations of the Mid Engined Corvette