I got a sneak peek! - Page 34 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a sneak peek!

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 PM
IronV
CF Senior Member

Default The man makes a point

Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
The sexiest car ever next to the sexiest woman ever.

Who am I to argue with such a shapely, well-supported statement??!!
The Following User Says Thank You to IronV For This Useful Post:
70LQ4 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 PM
IronV
CF Senior Member

Default Love that lowest sketch

The C4 was nice and it improved every year in leaps and bounds. I had 5 of them including the ZR1. The 96 Grand Sport was unbelievable and it took the C5 5 years to equal it. No 96 LT4 dynode at less than 370hp. It was the most indestructible Vette yet and the cheapest car to race and win.
I won't buy a C7 unless they make one as good as my 08 C6Z. The C7 is a futuristic design and terrific proportions, but it fails in detailing. It looks cheap and looks like some Japanese children made a few suggestions to the designers. Here is a case where function was compromised for form a little. The C5 was an uncompromised design. The most important thing was that the C7 is a hit and a commercial success which satisfies the stock holders who are still owed $30 bill. I did an analysis of the C7 chassis and gave it nothing but praise with a strong focus on the stock holder's point of view.
There are many ways to be attracted to a design. My C6 Z weighs 2800lbs with 600hp and many mods to chassis and body including roll cage. The C7 could be nice with the mods below plus the mods on my C6 N/A 427ci engine, chassis and suspension. These mods can even apply to the C8.

Love that lowest sketch. Worth saying again.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 PM
dcbingaman
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by IronV View Post
Who am I to argue with such a shapely, well-supported statement??!!
Skank, I gotta tell you, I like the C2 lines better than the C3, but brother your taste in women is SUPERB. Another French babe in the that same time (and class) was Genevieve Bujold - a face that could bring a man to do just about anything stupid.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Atomic Fred
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I stand by my proposition IN DETAIL. ALL your cherry picked quotes support my position. "Clean, simple, straightforward, non-phallic, restrained, subtle etc" Code words and strained rationalizations for "boring- as-all-hell and a 180 degree departure from the Mako Shark." And I LOVED that quote predicting the 84 Corvette would lead a design revolution in Europe! What a bunch of bunk that turned out to be.

Dave McClellan himself deeply resents the unending complaints of the 84's "Conservative design."

Well, here's the problem, Dave. It was and is.

Reasonable people can argue all day long about what design they like or don't like. But the proposition that the C4 was anything BUT a very deliberately conservative design is ludicrous on its face.
You keep quoting yourself and thinking that proves your point. Sounds to me like McClellan was just tired of you and a few other broken records. Talk about "cherry picking!"

To the point. The C8 can be exciting AND classic. Extraneous "styling" that will age as badly as the 1984 Testarossa will make a splash, but not have staying power.

Last edited by Atomic Fred; 03-09-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:57 PM
IronV
CF Senior Member

Default "Conservative" is not the equivalent of "Classic"

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred View Post
You keep quoting yourself and thinking that proves your point. Sounds to me like McClellan was just tired of you and a few other broken records. Talk about "cherry picking!"

To the point. The C8 can be exciting AND classic. Extraneous "styling" that will age as badly as the 1984 Testarossa will make a splash, but not have staying power.
We agree on your final point--the C8 can be, and should be, both exciting and (as much as anyone has a crystal ball) "Classic." As in C2 Stingray.

My suspicion is you're implying that "conservative" means "classic."

Last edited by IronV; 03-09-2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Steven Bell
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,842 Posts
St. Jude Donor'15

Guys, you're all going off topic again.

Please reel it in and stay on the original topic.....thank you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steven Bell For This Useful Post:
elegant (03-09-2018), FrankLP (03-10-2018), jagamajajaran (03-09-2018), MikeG37 (03-09-2018), REZ1 (03-10-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Ronstar
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon View Post
My feeling is that the renderings, while generally accurate to the mules, is not as refined or "edgy" as can be imagined under the camo. Just as with the c7 front end which is beautifully sculpted I feel the ME body lines will be more refined and "amped-up" . How all those elements are put together and presented will make a huge difference in how we perceive the car.

I tried to compare similar render styles with the 488. Not a perfect match but you get an idea that the final product will be more refined and "exotic" looking than the rendering. The rendering is just a taste of the ME IMO. Small changes in shape and line can make a big difference in overall appeal.

NIce work FVS!
I think the rear quarter will be more rounded/arched sort of like the Ferrari you put up next to the render. I think the camo hides the curves and makes it looks flattened out. Probably not as extreme as the Ferrari but kind of compliment the front wheel arches. The front and back don’t “flow” together like I’m sure the actual car will. They kind of look like the front and rear of two different cars. I think your getting close it are missing a piece of the puzzle to tie it all together.
It trying to be critical but rather help further the discussion and hopefully get the thread back on track.
Also looks like the left side tail lights are convex on your render instead of concave like the right side
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronstar For This Useful Post:
elegant (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 PM
firstvettesoon
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I agree there are many details and fine-tuning that will be done on this basic image I am sure all of the lines and surfaces will blend together in a very attractive way.

I am hoping that C7 pimp will comment further and give some more description and details on some of the features and overall impression of the car. His original impression was exciting to hear.

Thanks for helping to get back on subject. !

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 03-09-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Mufflerbearing
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steven Bell View Post
Guys, you're all going off topic again.

Please reel it in and stay on the original topic.....thank you.

Amen
Old 03-09-2018, 11:59 PM
IronV
CF Senior Member

Default Clue from The Pimp

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon View Post
Thanks for the input. I agree there are many details and fine-tuning that will be done on this basic image I am sure all of the lines and surfaces will blend together in a very attractive way.

I am hoping that C7 pimp will comment further and give some more description and details on some of the features and overall impression of the car. His original impression was exciting to hear.

Thanks for helping to get back on subject. !
First. Thanks for your great work, FVS. Just because I'm not always happy with the result, doesn't mean I think your efforts are not outstanding.Here's a detail from the Pimp's descriptions that may fundamentally change the look--even though it seems small at first. I was confused about his admonition to "look at the rear scoops from the front." (Paraphrasing) But as I look at the LaFerrari which he referenced, I think (hope) I get it...

The rear scoops, though substantial in size and depth, don't extend beyond the sides of the breadth of the main body boundary. Their depth is integral to the body, meaning the depth comes from how far they intrude toward the middle of the car, from the outside boundary line.

So if you look at the car from the front, you don't see the scoops, even though they're quite deep. That means there is a substantial shelf on top of the midsection of the car, including the door. Kind of a coke bottle that starts halfway up from the sill.

Take a hard look at the midsection, scoop, back end integration of the LaFerrari. Integrate that with your renderings and I think that will also solve the mismatch of the front to the back.

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2018, 12:49 AM
firstvettesoon
CF Senior Member

T
First. Thanks for your great work, FVS. Just because I'm not always happy with the result, doesn't mean I think your efforts are not outstanding.Here's a detail from the Pimp's descriptions that may fundamentally change the look--even though it seems small at first. I was confused about his admonition to "look at the rear scoops from the front." (Paraphrasing) But as I look at the LaFerrari which he referenced, I think (hope) I get it...

The rear scoops, though substantial in size and depth, don't extend beyond the sides of the breadth of the main body boundary. Their depth is integral to the body, meaning the depth comes from how far they intrude toward the middle of the car, from the outside boundary line.

So if you look at the car from the front, you don't see the scoops, even though they're quite deep. That means there is a substantial shelf on top of the midsection of the car, including the door. Kind of a coke bottle that starts halfway up from the sill.

Take a hard look at the midsection, scoop, back end integration of the LaFerrari. Integrate that with your renderings and I think that will also solve the mismatch of the front to the back.

Thanks!
Thanks for the observations. I agree with you that the description given describes a side vent that is essentially at the same with as the rear wheel well and that the midsection of the car narrows substantially in front of the scoop. This is essentially the way I depicted it no the angle does not show off the narrowing as well as an elevated POV would.

The final take away from all of the descriptions and discussion really winds up on C7pimps last comments that the drawings and renderings shown is essentially the car he as seen in his 3-D images.

I look forward to more comments and descriptions and guidance to make further modifications if necessary to get a closer the presentation of the ME. Any further details or corrections offered will be incorporated into the renderings.

I am also looking forward to MikeG37s version.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 03-10-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:52 AM
VETTE-NV
13 Vettes & counting.....
Support Corvetteforum!

The sexiest car ever next to the sexiest woman ever.

Some things hold up better than others.
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2018, 02:39 AM
Trackaholic
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV View Post
Some things hold up better than others.
Hey, now. The C3 still looks great, too!

Regarding the C7, I think it is an overall excellent looking car, but several details have always bothered me about it. The large, plain, front opening (fixed on the ZR-1 finally, and greatly improved on the Z06 with some simple grille changes), the hood vent that never seemed well integrated, the extreme angle on the front side vents, the Alice Cooper tail-light vents (the lights themselves are awesome IMO), and the vents on the rear shoulder.

Many of those features didn't seem to integrate well with the rest of the vehicle IMO, but overall the car is great.

I am hoping the ME Vette can maintain the aggressive overall look, while cleaning up some of the vents and making them look better integrated with the rest of the car. So far I think the various renders are looking very promising, even if the details are still guesses. I have strong feelings the final result will look very good. There are many aspects to the shape that I like better than the images of the 488 (the shoulder vent in the 488 looks very funky to me).

I do think the Ford GT is a great example of a fluidity of design where the vents seem totally integrated into the overall theme. It is by far the best looking mid-engine car right now IMO. I am hopeful that GM will pull off a similarly cohesive mix of elegance and aggression.

-T

Last edited by Trackaholic; 03-10-2018 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:22 AM
CorvettoBrando

Default Some minor comments on fsv's renderings

I have really appreciated following this thread, and there are certainly many here much wiser than I am, and many with far greater talent (and tools) for rendering speculative designs for the C8. FSV, fantastic efforts! I am impressed by your skills...others have made some great observations.

Although rudimentary, I used the touchpad on my laptop in MS Paint (it's all I have) to make a few changes, based mostly on the pictures of the front and rear panels from the infamous paint-shop post. I believe the version of FSV's rendering that I marked up is more accurate than his latest version, where he erroneously added shading to the sill on the rocker panel just below the air inlet, an area of the design which has certainly been the subject of spirited debate. In looking at the "Paint Shop" panels, I noticed what appears to be a cantilevered fin integrated into the rear facade, starting at the corners and becoming more pronounced as it approached the INTEGRATED third brake lamp. Notice also that the top edge of the rear facade is basically on the horizontal, unlike the latest rear view ME renderings in FSV's posts here. Also, the rear lights appear to contract in size toward the mid-line of the rear facade, and maybe even cant forwards as they approach mid-line from their outer edges (near the rear corner panels). Does this make sense? I couldn't draw it in paint...

You can see in my marked up FVS drawing that the front facade shows a thinned lower lip of the central air inlet (based on the paint shop panel picture), which yields a more substantial center opening, as well as thinner lower jaw, if you will, underneath each of the side inlets. I also made the side inlets wider based on observed proportions in the shop pic. Noticing the notch in the lower edge of the side inlets (circled in the photo), I thought that it may be for a LED DRL or fog lamp of some sort - which I drew in for review and comment. Could be something else? I also drew in a central spine on the front opening, based on what I see of one in the shop picture. It may only be a throw-away piece meant to stiffen up the panel before assembly? I welcome your comments...

Again, my drawing is very rough, so please forgive the lack of clean lines. I have noticed in the CAD images and overhead spy shots that the windshield's lower edge and cowl have a pronounced curve, so I attempted to add that curve to FSV's rendering. I then corrected the curve of the air vent in the hood to match the intersection of FSV's curve with hood contours on the far side of the hood view (to create more symmetry in the rendering). I believe that the A-pillars and roof will be in body color (I could only do the A-Pillars in yellow) to better balance with the proportions of the large HORIZONTAL rear deck, wide hips, and, if the drawing is accurate, large panel space between the side air inlet opening and the leading edge of the rear wheel well (I personally believe that there is less panel space there than what is drawn, but we'll have to wait on that detail). FSV, maybe you can change the roof to body color to see what it looks like, if you agree?

I also attempted to create a more pronounced curve on the top edges of both the front and rear quarter panels. Proportion-wise, I am not sure there is such a large panel space between the top of the front wheel well and the top edge of the quarter panel above it. Most mid-engined cars have a much smaller panel space there. I increased the opening inside the side inlet - maybe a carbon fiber insert (I tried to draw it in charcoal). After carefully inspecting waaaay too many spy photos, I increased the size of the side windows. The camo'd cars block part of the window on the bottom edge in almost every shot online, except for a couple. Looking at the rear quarter panel where it joins the rear facade panel, I changed the light contour and rear decklid slightly to create more dynamics in the shape. Feel free to disagree or critique. Lastly, I tried to draw in a subtle front brake vent in the aft of the front wheel well. It may not be accurate.

Let me know what you think folks. Thanks for such a fun thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to CorvettoBrando For This Useful Post:
IronV (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,771 Times in 914 Posts

This thread has gone completely off topic and I don't have the time to wade through nearly 40 pages to remove the crap.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zymurgy For This Useful Post:
FrankLP (03-10-2018), jagamajajaran (03-10-2018), NewYuriCity (03-10-2018), REZ1 (03-10-2018), RoketRdr (03-11-2018), Shaka (03-10-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I got a sneak peek!

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: