Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a sneak peek!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 02:29 AM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I think it's pretty clear that he didn't, to be honest. He has pointed out what's already in plain view and gave an overall observation. I think anything he's stated beyond what's known is very general and could reasonably be obtained from what's shown.

You, indeed, can say whatever you please, I just don't understand the scrutiny over "PROOF". It's simple man, if you feel the dude is full of it, so be it. Asking him to show pictures and name names will clearly put specific careers and people at risk. I think he should definitely quit while he is ahead if you ask me.
Well I didn't ask for him to name any names so not sure where that comes from. But if your going to come on a public forum and claim you've seen something that has been shrouded in secrecy then you better be able to back up your claim. A simple look at his sketch vs what is actually out there shows some differences, some another poster already pointed out. But I do agree with you in that he should probably quit while he's ahead.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:15 AM
blackcorvette06
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing C7pimp and nice renders Firstvettesoon.
I believe the rear quarter panel is in plain view.
C7pimp, can you clarify if this black panel is from the ME vette?
What do you guys think?

the lines match up

I played with the brightness to draw the red line. There might be another quarter panel on other side of the stand. We can see the red metal stand thru the quarter panel, shown by the arrow.

GM might use a carbon fiber scoop similar to this or just a carbon flash painted scoop like the C7 ZO6 quarter air scoops.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:15 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
(for it will probably have 2,000 or so new parts).
Why do you say that?

Even though I have never smoked crack, based on your fun comment, I might need to start buying/smoking crack.
Crack, good...smoke, bad.

Originally Posted by shiv.nandak
Why do people think that the base version of the mid engine can't be under 80k?
Because they're dumb.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:34 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
a major step in the right direction for the whole rear end!
the C7 rear end just never felt finished... these tail lights are along the lines of what I imagined would fit better.

I was not in the camp that "all corvettes must have 4 round tail lights"... I'm 100% fine with them trying different things, but just because they deviated from the convention, doesn't automatically mean it's good by default (which I think many people fell into thinking).

Just my opinion tho... Not trying to bash c7s.. I love c7s overall.. just always felt the backend was a sore spot in the design. I'm glad to see where the c8 rear end is shaping up to be per the spy pics

Last edited by mammoth713; 02-17-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:38 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcorvette06
Thanks for sharing C7pimp and nice renders Firstvettesoon.
I believe the rear quarter panel is in plain view.
C7pimp, can you clarify if this black panel is from the ME vette?
What do you guys think?

the lines match up

I played with the brightness to draw the red line. There might be another quarter panel on other side of the stand. We can see the red metal stand thru the quarter panel, shown by the arrow.

GM might use a carbon fiber scoop similar to this or just a carbon flash painted scoop like the C7 ZO6 quarter air scoops.
I think you're close.. but the red line on the black body panel is too far forward (to the right).. take a look at it again. The left portion of the black body panel extends behind the red painted bumper in the image
Old 02-17-2018, 08:16 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by blb078
Well I didn't ask for him to name any names so not sure where that comes from. But if your going to come on a public forum and claim you've seen something that has been shrouded in secrecy then you better be able to back up your claim. A simple look at his sketch vs what is actually out there shows some differences, some another poster already pointed out. But I do agree with you in that he should probably quit while he's ahead.
He obviously can't back up his statement for the reasons that he stated in the very beginning. So are you actually saying that he should have said nothing!

Why don't you just put your big boy pants on and evaluate the information for yourself. Does it or does it not make sense or provide additional information!

I, for one, am very happy to have the additional information.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 02-17-2018 at 08:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PurpleLion:
NewYuriCity (02-17-2018), SyberSaint (02-17-2018), TRT SR (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 08:31 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 1,742 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

We all know there are suppliers who have intel on what's to come and SHOULD know anyone who has had access to that info is NOT going to reveal the source or they will no longer have that source. OP has done a good job of conveying possibilities from what has been out there all ready.
Let's all play nice so we don't have to lock another thread. Personal attacks will result in your own personal infraction which won't be up for debate.
The following 7 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
-vet (02-19-2018), 2017C7 (02-18-2018), bgspot (02-17-2018), firstvettesoon (02-17-2018), NewYuriCity (02-17-2018), RoketRdr (02-18-2018), TRT SR (02-17-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-17-2018, 08:46 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

I would not mind if GM just copied the Ferrari 458 and then added the inevitable copyright infringement fees to the cost of the car! Of course corporate pride would prevent GM from actually doing it. But, I doubt that GM (or anyone) is capable of designing a more beautiful car.

I do not find Michael Simcoe's portfolio that impressive either and I am afraid that he will strongly influence the look of the C8!

For the record, I believe that the C7 is one of the most beautiful front engine cars that I have seen and I am very curious to see what the Corvette team would have designed without Michael's influence.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:03 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The anticipation and excitement are awesome...

The renderings will get a few things close and a few things wrong..

It's all in good fun..

The "prove it" guys are funny as hell...

Those reaching to take hints and create slightly altered drawings are awesome too...

I'm sure GM is enjoying all of us adult sports car enthusiasts trying to get a little more of a handle on what the next gen corvette is going to be.

It's all in good fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
firstvettesoon (02-17-2018), SyberSaint (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:15 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Firstvette and MikeG37 have done an amazing job trying to determine what this car is going to look like. Their respective renders are very similar. I do prefer the quarter panel air intake design on Mike’s render. That area is a huge focus area of the car ... so much so that it can actually make or break the overall design (IMO). I hope GM gets it right. So far, not liking the roundness of that intake on C7Pimps render. I much prefer the intake styling on MikeG37’s render and the Aria. I modified C7 pimps render ever so slightly to give it a more Aria styled intake and I think it slants the car much nicer. I have faith in GM.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 02-17-2018 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TRT SR (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:40 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

I wonder how much snow can get packed into that rear side vent...

Holly crap!
Old 02-17-2018, 09:57 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I wonder how much snow can get packed into that rear side vent...

Holly crap!
Cut me some slack, I am using an iPad and modified the intake with my finger using the photo app. Just tried to capture the general Aria intake shape. Didn’t know how to make the black area look smaller.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 02-17-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:42 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

I thought your drawing was good...I was thinking man that would pack in tight as a daily driver though.,,.

I don't care..,I drive my corvettes everyday anyway....

A little snow pack into those side vents will melt anyway...

Time for this car to be brought to the forefront in public so we can drool in unison
Old 02-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I thought your drawing was good...I was thinking man that would pack in tight as a daily driver though.,,.

I don't care..,I drive my corvettes everyday anyway....

A little snow pack into those side vents will melt anyway...

Time for this car to be brought to the forefront in public so we can drool in unison
Just so we are 100% clear...before someone calls me out. I did not draw the original image. I just used the original image and modified the intake to look a bit different.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Firstvette and MikeG37 have done an amazing job trying to determine what this car is going to look like. Their respective renders are very similar. I do prefer the quarter panel air intake design on Mike’s render. That area is a huge focus area of the car ... so much so that it can actually make or break the overall design (IMO). I hope GM gets it right. So far, not liking the roundness of that intake on C7Pimps render. I much prefer the intake styling on MikeG37’s render and the Aria. I modified C7 pimps render ever so slightly to give it a more Aria styled intake and I think it slants the car much nicer. I have faith in GM.

The intakes are determined by CFD and wind tunnels. Your design does not conform to the old adage,"Form must follow function." It applies here more than anywhere else on the car. Your design may look pretty to some but aesthetics is very definitely a secondary consideration. I'm very interested in this area of the car and I expect that the 800hp car will have huge haunches to cope with cooling needs. The Caddy or Zorro version will be expensive.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:22 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shaka
The intakes are determined by CFD and wind tunnels. Your design does not conform to the old adage,"Form must follow function." It applies here more than anywhere else on the car. Your design may look pretty to some but aesthetics is very definitely a secondary consideration. I'm very interested in this area of the car and I expect that the 800hp car will have huge haunches to cope with cooling needs. The Caddy or Zorro version will be expensive.
Designers are paid big bucks to make design both functional and beautiful. This is what they are paid to figure out. It’s amateur hour at GM if they can’t figure out how to do both.

....and oh by the way...what Kirk Bennion actually said was that the old adage “form follows function” was fine tuned to “beautiful form follows performance driven function.” You got to do both at this MSRP.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:52 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Maybe its just me, but the front of the car looks sleek and curvy and the back area (circled) just looks all boxy. Like two style that don’t quite fit together. I’m all about the first ~70% of the car.. lol

Get notified of new replies

To I got a sneak peek!

Old 02-17-2018, 01:02 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Maybe its just me, but the front of the car looks sleek and curvy and the back area (circled) just looks all boxy. Like two style that don’t quite fit together. I’m all about the first ~70% of the car.. lol

Look at the original pic from the OP (post#156). You’ll like that one better if you like round
Old 02-17-2018, 01:22 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Look at the original pic from the OP (post#156). You’ll like that one better if you like round
Its not the scoop that I am referring to. Its the shape of the entire rear end of the car. Its like it looks like a high dollar supercar back to the end of the door and looks like they joined it with a brick lol. The flow of the front of the car is not see in the rear upper quarters, etc.

Maybe its because the part I circled looks tooo long

Last edited by FYREANT; 02-17-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:29 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Its not the scoop that I am referring to. Its the shape of the entire rear end of the car. Its like it looks like a high dollar supercar back to the end of the door and looks like they joined it with a brick lol. The flow of the front of the car is not see in the rear upper quarters, etc.

Maybe its because the part I circled looks tooo long

I think he meant to put a curve on the rear 1/4 like this. Also, he has the rear grilles wrapping around the edge like the lamp. I've seen two different grilles at the rear.
The following users liked this post:
FYREANT (02-17-2018)

Quick Reply: I got a sneak peek!