Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a sneak peek!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:38 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The final car will look terrific. Not one view will be boxy. It will flow. Even though C7 pimp only saw two pictures, and three dimensions (always better) is how we will finally see it at its reveal and later, he overall comments on the car are:

Originally Posted by c7pimp
None of the renderings really show how beautiful the car really is though. Goofy perspectives with misplaced and malproportioned pieces placed together on the car in renderings I have seen here look awkward and unbalanced. The car's flow and stance is not accurately represented in any of the renders yet.

You know how you see something amazing for the first time and you almost get high and disoriented from the shock of amazement? Ya, this is what this car will do to people.
I am eagerly awaiting firstvettesoon’s next full rendering, but let’s give him time. For those unaware, he makes his living as an artist, does industrial and commercial design, has extensive CAD and similar experience, and yet is also fine, three-dimensional sculpture in various media.

And when he gives us his rendering, let us all also remember his repeated statements, that not matter he does, he knows the final GM version will be better.

My only wish is that my ME savings fund would grow faster...

Last edited by elegant; 02-17-2018 at 01:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
-vet (02-19-2018), RoketRdr (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
The final car will look terrific. Not one view will be boxy. It will flow. Even though C7 pimp only saw two pictures, and three dimensions (always better) is how we will finally see it at its reveal and later, he overall comments on the car are:

I am eagerly awaiting firstvettesoon’s next full rendering, but let’s give him time. For those unaware, he makes his living as an artist, does industrial and commercial design, has extensive CAD and similar experience, and yet is also fine, three-dimensional sculpture in various media.

And when he gives us his rendering, let us all also remember his repeated statements, that not matter he does, he knows the final GM version will be better.

My only wish is that my ME savings fund would grow faster...
I loved this quote. It is worth repeating. Originally Posted by c7pimp,
"None of them really show how beautiful the car really is though. Goofy perspectives with misplaced and malproportioned pieces placed together on the car in renderings I have seen here look awkward and unbalanced. The car's flow and stance is not accurately represented in any of the renders yet.
You know how you see something amazing for the first time and you almost get high and disoriented from the shock of amazement? Ya, this is what this car will do to people." Beautiful.
His drawing has correct perspective which is the most important thing in car art. It proves that he understands form. The only one curve he got wrong was on the top of the rear 1/4 which is easy to do. I can get things the way I want with a pencil, but I find it difficult on a computer. Thanks for this post.

I'm very critical of car design and I still remain a sceptic, however.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Its not the scoop that I am referring to. Its the shape of the entire rear end of the car. Its like it looks like a high dollar supercar back to the end of the door and looks like they joined it with a brick lol. The flow of the front of the car is not see in the rear upper quarters, etc.

Maybe its because the part I circled looks tooo long
I believe that from the front to the end of the doors, C7Pimp’s render is highly HIGHLY accurate. However, I don’t believe the rear quarter is accurately depicted. I don’t believe it will be as flat or straight-edged as his render indicates. If you look at the camo car, the top of the rear quarters swoop up by the doors and back down at the rear. I think it’ll be a perfect blend of round and hard lines. I am super excited for this car...I just hope the ZO6 variant isn’t much more than current Z.
The following users liked this post:
FYREANT (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 02:14 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
The padding on the car protects from view how narrow the mid section of the car is at the bottom. The doors panels gradually turn inward and downward from the front to the rear, as is indicated by the side skirt pictures that you can see towards the rear 3rd of the midsection that skirt come back towards the wheel well abruptly at a dramatic angle. The car is tucked and tight in the middle, and by nature makes the rear scoop inlet look pretty large of an opening.
Does the body pinch together at the bottom of the doors such that it would create aerodynamic turbulence?
Old 02-17-2018, 04:49 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Maybe its just me, but the front of the car looks sleek and curvy and the back area (circled) just looks all boxy. Like two style that don’t quite fit together. I’m all about the first ~70% of the car.. lol

not a well liked phrase these days, but "me too". it looks like somebody grafted a ferarri 512 boxer rear end on a 911 porsche and cut some intake holes in the sides.

those quarter panels will not stick out to that extreme. the rear wheels aren't tracking even close to the same line as the front wheels in this rendering.

i do realize that the cooling requirements will dictate some of the design, but i'll hope for some deference to beauty. mclaren did fine with the mp4. i don't need the width of a dually pickup; sell a lower h.p. model that is pretty and add the wild *** add ons to the monster models.

Last edited by senah; 02-17-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:45 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
except for the front spoiler/scoop, your sketch looks just like mikeg37's rendering, with clean, classy and elegant styling. the rear wheels have to track closely into the shadow of the fronts, not a foot outside them like some of the renders show.

remember what pimp said here; "What you CAN'T see is the profile of the inlet if you were to look straight into it from the front of the vehicle." in other words, it definitely doesn't protrude grotesquely, (if i am interpreting him correctly).

pimp's rendering is at least close "enough (to a pretty design) to keep me hangin' on", lol.
The shape of c7pimps drawing is taken from the top render which I did a while back. He said he tried to add the hood outlet, headlamps and side intake shapes as best he could because the perspective views on my render and the 3D CADs he is working from are different.

For the scoop, he said he had trouble drawing it correctly. I think, and he can correct me, that he was saying the scoop profile(shape) was hard to see from the front, and that it is large but only because the mid section of the car tucks in toward the rear of the door and then "dramatically" angles out to the wheel well. So the car squeezes in the center rather than the rear fender sticking out more. Just looks that way in the drawings due to shading.

My bottom render shows this fairly accurately I think - and also set C7pimps lines on the spy pic better since his trace off my old render was not exactly accurate because my render was a little off.

The bottom line drawing should be close in case anyone wants to use it to try their own renders.

I am looking forward to hearing more details from C7p for what other features are there including the rear fender top inlets and other features unseen so far.

MikeG37 scoop shape is close to the spy images but it "seems" that c7 is suggesting that the top of the side scoop ties into the top edge of the rear fender similar to the Aria as shown in the last drawing.

It is an interesting area and I am very curious to see how GM actually resolves these shapes. I am sure they will do a great job... But if they don't, I am sure someone will offer a CF inlet cover in various shapes and sizes! ; )
Old 02-17-2018, 05:50 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

not a well liked phrase these days, but "me too". it looks like somebody grafted a ferarri 512 boxer rear end on a 911 porsche and cut some intake holes in the sides.

those quarter panels will not stick out to that extreme. the rear wheels aren't tracking even close to the same line as the front wheels in this rendering.

i do realize that the cooling requirements will dictate some of the design, but i'll hope for some deference to beauty. mclaren did fine with the mp4. i don't need the width of a dually pickup; sell a lower h.p. model that is pretty and add the wild *** add ons to the monster models.
As above, the modified scoop drawn only looks like the fender sticks out because of the shading. The rear fenders don't stick out the way it looks. PC meant to show a more angular shape he preferred over the shape c7 tried to depict which he said he had trouble doing in that perspective. Neither is actually accurate.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:55 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shaka

I think he meant to put a curve on the rear 1/4 like this. Also, he has the rear grilles wrapping around the edge like the lamp. I've seen two different grilles at the rear.
You can check again but I think he said the trap shaped outlets don't wrap as can be seen in CAD - or very little but the lower "black" fascia wraps around a little. Would be great to clarify. Maybe in his next drawing.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-17-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:05 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I wonder how much snow can get packed into that rear side vent...

Holly crap!
Depends on how fast you are going. !
JerriVette (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 06:07 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
Does the body pinch together at the bottom of the doors such that it would create aerodynamic turbulence?
Seems like it does as described.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Those side intakes are difficult to make effective. You have to have a massive Coke bottle shape and a wide rear end but even then, the airflow just doesn't go down that far, hence, the La Ferrari solution with a very high side shelf or the 488 intake. Our resident aircraft engineer scoffs at the Ford Gt's solution, but this is state of the art air management. To get attachment down the side of a car is tricky. Look at modern sedans with strange creases down the side.

Wider track at the back presents severe chassis and suspension challenges. Jacking of the front inside wheels in late braking and acceleration out of turns not withstanding. The C7 chassis has built in flex to optimize the friction circle at each tire. Maybe the C8 will do the same. Go carts and sprint cars do it all the time but a ME car????

Adrian Newey thinks very far ahead in F1 and hyper car aero.

Some people laugh at this Ford, but it gets full body laminar flow from front to back and real high pressure quality air into the radiators in front of the rear wheel. It also conditions the flow to the rear wing all by reducing drag, just like Ferraris do.

Ferrari knows airflow. The 800hp ME Vette is going to have to do something or have all its major cooling up front.

If you want to take it on the side, well, this is how it is done.

Yep, the C8 is going to be interesting. This doesn't do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shaka:
Lotsacubes (02-18-2018), RedLS6 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 07:07 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Those side intakes are difficult to make effective. You have to have a massive Coke bottle shape and a wide rear end but even then, the airflow just doesn't go down that far, hence, the La Ferrari solution with a very high side shelf or the 488 intake. Our resident aircraft engineer scoffs at the Ford Gt's solution, but this is state of the art air management. To get attachment down the side of a car is tricky. Look at modern sedans with strange creases down the side.

Wider track at the back presents severe chassis and suspension challenges. Jacking of the front inside wheels in late braking and acceleration out of turns not withstanding. The C7 chassis has built in flex to optimize the friction circle at each tire. Maybe the C8 will do the same. Go carts and sprint cars do it all the time but a ME car????

Adrian Newey thinks very far ahead in F1 and hyper car aero.

Some people laugh at this Ford, but it gets full body laminar flow from front to back and real high pressure quality air into the radiators in front of the rear wheel. It also conditions the flow to the rear wing all by reducing drag, just like Ferraris do.

Ferrari knows airflow. The 800hp ME Vette is going to have to do something or have all its major cooling up front.

If you want to take it on the side, well, this is how it is done.

Yep, the C8 is going to be interesting. This doesn't do it.
Well, this car wouldn’t be happening if it didn’t work.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Quinten33

Well, this car wouldn’t be happening if it didn’t work.
Oh, so you have seen the 800hp version? Marvelous.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:28 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I wonder how much snow can get packed into that rear side vent...

Holly crap!

Or a small child. Or a dog.
JerriVette (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 08:36 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Man some people are good at sucking the fun outta stuff. I'm not concerned with dumb **** like air flow, they'll figure it out some how. I have faith they will design fantastic car. The last few generations have been great cars. My only 2 little concerns are, 1. will they design a rear end that isn't blunt/flat/boring like the C5/6/7, and will they design an interior that will shut the "uppity" crowd up once and for all.
firstvettesoon (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:04 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
I'm a crappy sketch artist. Getting the features translated in the proper proportion and onto this perspective is not something I am good at in the least. It looks slightly goofy in the side scoop and the hood but this is the best I can do. Getting the door line correct is difficult and it's slightly off too. The vanishing point of the slope of the rear of the car is a little off and makes the rear deck toward the tail light edge seem awkward. Like I said, I suck at drawing but I gave it my best shot. The top of the rear fender line is not so hard edge'd as this appears in the sketch. Hopefully your eyes and brain can imagine it making sense proportionally.

There are a couple more key details that I haven't put on the drawing yet and I could refine it a little bit, but the weekend is here and I won't have time for a few days.

How's this headed? Mostly just the back of the door and where it interacts with the top forward point of the side scoop.
The rest is still what I'd been messing with before you offered us up new info.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:10 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by bgspot
Man some people are good at sucking the fun outta stuff. I'm not concerned with dumb **** like air flow, they'll figure it out some how.
Exactly; well said. GM has done an outstanding job in aero, including the new ground plane wind tunnel operation. The design team is not separate from aero development. Chief Corvette Designer Kirk Bennion personally spend over a hundred hours in GM wind tunnels (the new one and the older, larger one), in developing the C7, including recently over a week in just ZR1 testing in the ground plane wind tunnel.

Source of below picture: media.GM
Attached Images  

Last edited by elegant; 02-17-2018 at 09:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by elegant:
-vet (02-19-2018), DebRedZR1 (02-18-2018), firstvettesoon (02-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To I got a sneak peek!

Old 02-17-2018, 09:21 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
How's this headed? Mostly just the back of the door and where it interacts with the top forward point of the side scoop.
The rest is still what I'd been messing with before you offered us up new info.

The quarter panel looks really long...looks like a big car...but the intake is an improvement

Last edited by Paulchristian; 02-17-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:26 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Oh, so you have seen the 800hp version? Marvelous.
What? Nobody has confirmed any horsepower numbers. I’m saying that they wouldn’t be this deep into ZERV if it would be a disappointing vehicle. 800hp is rediculous, considering that a 720s makes 710hp. 800hp with boost-by-gear makes sense, however. Weren’t we discussing how air will get into the side intakes? Wouldn’t it just take a wind tunnel to figure that out? I’m not insulting your intelligence, you clearly know a lot about this stuff. I just don’t see why you’d doubt one of the biggest companies in the world, especially when they’re so invested in it.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:32 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
The quarter panel looks really long...looks like a big car...
I think it looks long because the image is taken at an angle and is distorted.

Looking good Mike. Not sure if the front fender peak runs all the way into the scoop from the c7 drawing. It may fade. I did this in one render because there were GM renders from the video that had some concepts like that. Also think the bottom ledge will be a bit wider because the door rolls in and down. But we will find out soon.

Maybe the front of the door break will cut back for a front wheel brake outlet. ?
Hope that rear "glass" is an intake!

Nice work! Looking forward to the finished render. !

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-17-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: I got a sneak peek!