Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a sneak peek!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:51 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 867 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Looks correct? Tell us, what about this do you think looks correct.
Rear fascia is dead on. Tail lights look right. Tail pipes are wrong. Spoiler??? Side marker light is likely wrong, but federal regs might require what is shown here. Side quarter window is history.
Rear glass is likely correct for airflow.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:55 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by elegant
It will not be a C7 1/2. While my wife and I still have a crush on our C7 Z, it is time for a significant styling change. Confirmation that we will be getting one is the following:
All the renders I have seen here have strong C7 resemblance. The C8 will be built on the same assembly line using a variation of the C7 frame.

Not sure what "aesthetic" means here. What other ME car will it resemble if not C7?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
When I say too much C7, I mean there's literally cut and pasted pieces of C7 in that picture. The roof, wheel arches, exhaust tips, the taillight theme and significant portions of the front end were copied with little or no change from some stock photo of a C7. It's not even a render. It's lazy photoshop work.

FirstVetteSoon is at least doing original work.
Front and rear fascias look correct. Side intake scoop looks consistent with what we have seen. Door looks right. Roof is correct except for side quarter window which I think no longer exists. Dimensions look right. Hood is likely different, but hard to say exactly what it looks like.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:02 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sunsalem
It's just not firing my juices..too boring for my tastes.
I'm buying it at $80K, but also keeping my GS C7.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:06 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
I think they got the top edge of the scope and rear fender correct according to the OP. I think they know now that the scope angles the opposite direction. Hopefully they will take another crack at the rendering after we get more information!
I would think the top of the side intake should meet the upper door crease to continue the line. What is the point of breaking up the line?

Also the door handle then ends up too low. It should be above the crease IMO, like the red car on page 11.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6

Now this I would buy for north of $100k!<br/>
Building that car would cost at least $200K.

I don't think the C8 will resemble the 458/488 either because the cost of that build is at least $200K also. Tha ACS render is likely a $50K build at 30K units per year, so the price can start at $80K to complete with the 718 GTS.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Thanks!

With C7pimp and ZERVs help, maybe we can get a little closer before next January... Otherwise it will be a long wait!

Another Q for C7pimp...
Was this guy right? not rear but Front fenders?

This image says rear quarter panel.

From my picture, these are certainly the front fenders. The top of the headlight shape fits exactly into the recessed area.

My sketch shows the headlights are too wide. The actual headlights are a bit skinnier and sleeker than what I drew.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
The C8 will be built on the same assembly line using a variation of the C7 frame.
Where on earth are you coming up with that? The CAD leaks from ZERV should be enough to dispel that notion. The general engineering seems similar, but that's to be expected since they're both GM cars. The Solstice had similar engineering to the C6, but it was definitely not a "variation of the C6 frame".
C7pimp
Drifting

Originally Posted by C7pimp

From my picture, these are certainly the front fenders. The top of the headlight shape fits exactly into the recessed area.

My sketch shows the headlights are too wide. The actual headlights are a bit skinnier and sleeker than what I drew.

I just saw this in the ZERV thread. This is accurate. This is the front headlight.

The following users liked this post:
Shaka (02-20-2018)
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Are the headlights similar to the red car's on page 11?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:38 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

The shape of c7pimps drawing is taken from the top render which I did a while back. He said he tried to add the hood outlet, headlamps and side intake shapes as best he could because the perspective views on my render and the 3D CADs he is working from are different.

For the scoop, he said he had trouble drawing it correctly. I think, and he can correct me, that he was saying the scoop profile(shape) was hard to see from the front, and that it is large but only because the mid section of the car tucks in toward the rear of the door and then "dramatically" angles out to the wheel well. So the car squeezes in the center rather than the rear fender sticking out more. Just looks that way in the drawings due to shading.

My bottom render shows this fairly accurately I think - and also set C7pimps lines on the spy pic better since his trace off my old render was not exactly accurate because my render was a little off.

The bottom line drawing should be close in case anyone wants to use it to try their own renders.

I am looking forward to hearing more details from C7p for what other features are there including the rear fender top inlets and other features unseen so far.

MikeG37 scoop shape is close to the spy images but it "seems" that c7 is suggesting that the top of the side scoop ties into the top edge of the rear fender similar to the Aria as shown in the last drawing.

It is an interesting area and I am very curious to see how GM actually resolves these shapes. I am sure they will do a great job... But if they don't, I am sure someone will offer a CF inlet cover in various shapes and sizes! ; )
Correct, the shading is making the side scoop look like it sticks out a foot wide. It's not that wide The intention was to show how the scoop flows down and backwards. It has a little bulge, but it appears to bulge mostly because of the narrowness of the body, not the scoop itself bulging out past the fender.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Are the headlights similar to the red car's on page 11?

See my post #269. That is exactly the front headlight. No doubt about it.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Where on earth are you coming up with that? The CAD leaks from ZERV should be enough to dispel that notion. The general engineering seems similar, but that's to be expected since they're both GM cars. The Solstice had similar engineering to the C6, but it was definitely not a "variation of the C6 frame".
The C7 frame is excellent. Engineering a new frame from scratch would be very expensive, time-consuming and risky. What would be the point?

Unless there is some compelling reason to engineer an all new frame, GM won't do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by PCMIII:
elegant (02-19-2018), Shaka (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Rear fascia is dead on. Tail lights look right. Tail pipes are wrong. Spoiler??? Side marker light is likely wrong, but federal regs might require what is shown here. Side quarter window is history.
Rear glass is likely correct for airflow.
Taillights are wrong, side scoops are wrong, hood scoop is entirely missing, and the headlights are not quite right either (more abrupt kind of cut off on the top).

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 02-19-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:08 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Building that car would cost at least $200K.

I don't think the C8 will resemble the 458/488 either because the cost of that build is at least $200K also. Tha ACS render is likely a $50K build at 30K units per year, so the price can start at $80K to complete with the 718 GTS.
I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're trying to convey.

The cost of a build isn't most greatly affected by the shape of the body. It's material usage. The engine alone in the 488GTB costs more than a C7 does. If you are using a carbon fiber monocoque chassis and the highest premium quality leathers and carbon fiber in the interiors and seat frames, machined instead of cast components, etc. the cost skyrockets.

Take those Lamborghini kit cars on a Fiero chassis for example. Looks like a 300K car but it's just an exotic body design slapped on a crappy chassis. That's not hard to do for cheap.

There's no reason, cost wise, a mid-engine Corvette can't look every bit as much as exotic and expensive as a Ferrari, perform nearly just as well and only cost $65k. The C7 already does that for the most part.

The C8 looks very much a mid-engine Corvette. Just as the C7 looks very much traditonal Corvette but has resemblance the F12 Berlinetta, the C8 looks like a corvette with proportions similar to the 488GTB. That's not even something that needs to be discovered or revealed, it's a common sense matter of fact that it's going to be that way.

Last edited by C7pimp; 02-19-2018 at 12:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7pimp:
PurpleLion (02-19-2018), Shaka (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:11 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Taillights are wrong, side scoops are wrong, hood scoop is entirely missing, and the headlights are not quite right either (more abrupt kind of cut off on the top).
The hood should have an exhaust port for the front radiators, but the shape and position is unknown, so ACS just left it alone for now.

How do you know the taillights and side scoop are wrong?

Headlight is longer and slimmer but otherwise same shape as C7, as ACS shows.

Last edited by PCMIII; 02-19-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Unless there is some compelling reason to engineer an all new frame, GM won't do it.
I guess the change from front to mid engine isn't compelling enough?

Get notified of new replies

To I got a sneak peek!

Old 02-19-2018, 12:24 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're trying to convey.

The cost of a build isn't most greatly affected by the shape of the body. It's material usage. The engine alone in the 488GTB costs more than a C7 does. If you are using a carbon fiber monocoque chassis and the highest premium quality leathers and carbon fiber in the interiors and seat frames, machined instead of cast components, etc. the cost skyrockets.

Take those Lamborghini kit cars on a Fiero chassis for example. Looks like a 300K car but it's just an exotic body design slapped on a crappy chassis. That's not hard to do for cheap.

There's no reason, cost wise, a mid-engine Corvette can't look every bit as much as exotic and expensive as a Ferrari, perform nearly just as well and only cost $65k. The C7 already does that for the most part.
We will be very lucky if the C8 starts at $75K, undercutting the 718 GTS by a few thousand as GM has done for years. According to Lutz, ME cars are $5K more to build and the 2019 GS with 8A is over $68K to start. The 2020 C8 will be above the GS for sure.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:28 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

I guess the change from front to mid engine isn't compelling enough?
What is your source for the all new frame? I haven't seen anyone say that and it would be an important point based on cost, time and risk. GM doesn't like any of those 3 things.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:35 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

We will be very lucky if the C8 starts at $75K, undercutting the 718 GTS by a few thousand as GM has done for years. According to Lutz, ME cars are $5K more to build and the 2019 GS with 8A is over $68K to start. The 2020 C8 will be above the GS for sure.
I doubt that the C8 base car is going to start any higher than $65k. ($10K higher than the 2018 C7)

This is all pure speculation of course and nobody knows what th eprice will be. Al I think I know is Chevy can't price the car too high and keep their core customer base. Many buyers, myself included, bought the C7 with only the most essential bare bones options to fit budget. If the C8 starts going past $70K as a base MSRP, you have priced out a significant portion of the buyer market.

If they make the base car have the upgraded interior option package (3LT) as standard, then I can see them justifying a $70k+ base MSRP, but they aren't going to do that because they need that base car budget buyer to make the car successful in sales volume.

That's how I see it.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (02-19-2018)

Quick Reply: I got a sneak peek!