Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a sneak peek!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 PM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

thanks!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:01 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

Reminds me too much of a 360 Modena:

Old 02-20-2018, 08:08 AM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Here is a cleaner more accurate line drawing based on C7Ps comments and drawing. I matched up the lines on the spy image fairly close.

Nice work.

Based on this cad image posted by Zerv, doesn't it look like it has some sort of inlet on the top of the rear quarter panel based on the green in the top of the image? Might be how it feeds the engine air filter based on the engine posted a while back by Zerv.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:19 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Myster
Nice work.

Based on this cad image posted by Zerv, doesn't it look like it has some sort of inlet on the top of the rear quarter panel based on the green in the top of the image? Might be how it feeds the engine air filter based on the engine posted a while back by Zerv.

That looks more like a way of getting air out of the wheel well
Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I think the green ducts are air intakes for the engine.

If you look at the two engines that have leaked, they both have the airbox at the rear, with the inlets at right angles going towards the sides of the car.

Those green ducts have 4 little mounting studs near the opening. I think each side has a right angle duct that connects to the green part via those 4 studs, and then the other end connects to the airbox we see in the engine images.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.

Great...now I want a 720. Off to Vegas to raise some funds.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I wish McLaren had a presentation explaining how they manage aero and cooling on that car. There's a lot going on, and it'd be fascinating to see how it all works.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Myster
Nice work.

Thanks. I agree about the rear fender top inlets. I believe there is a C7 style and air in late and ducts as shown in the CAD image. I had posted this a while back with a drawing. If you look at my original rendering of this image from a few days ago, I believe page 9, You will see that I suggested it may have these inlets.

I am waiting for C 7 PM to confirm this detail before I add it to the rendering. I am also hoping he will enlighten us a bit more about the spoiler/wing area and possibly the rear deck details.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:43 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

I wish McLaren had a presentation explaining how they manage aero and cooling on that car. There's a lot going on, and it'd be fascinating to see how it all works.
There were a couple of great YouTube videos on the Ferrari 488 and 458 aero/cooling. I haven't looked for the McLaren but there may be some. They are very interesting
elegant (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:17 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

They need to figure out how to keep their cars from breaking down first!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:20 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Originally Posted by bigsapper
I'll be sorely disappointed if the C8 looks like a cookie cutter European supercar. Corvette needs to retain it's own unique look.

Regarding the Gen6/LT7 label, I hope it's a simple evolutionary change like the LS series, because a huge engine design change is going to orphan a lot of work/research out there.

And for the record, I'm on record that the mid-engine sports car will not be badged as a Corvette.
Since when did a Ferrari look like any other car? NEVER! The car is going to look like a 458/488. What don’t you guys understand about that fact?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Great...now I want a 720. Off to Vegas to raise some funds.
Hope you can keep it running!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

It's really tough to say without seeing it.

If it's anything like the C7, it's for aero purposes rather than cooling. So the side radiators would really have nothing to do with the hood vent. The big question is how they'd effectively duct air around or under the front trunk bin.

This is the only picture I could find of a McLaren 720S with the hood open.

If you look at the back of the bin just to the left of the guy's head, there's a perforated vent. There's a matching duct in the hood that leads to the vents on the outer sides.

GM could do the same concept, but with a central vent.
No. The intakes on the McLarens hood are for the pax environmental system. The outlet for the C8 is an exit for the engine radiator. The radiators on each side (in front of the front wheels) are for engine oil.
Here is almost an obvious way to harness high energy air by directing it into an inlet for both combustion, top, and engine rads, below, by channeling it in this canal instead of it spilling over the side. To achieve attachment down the sides, McLaren had to form this ridge to form it. Below this ridge is turbulent air but high laminar flow above it more than offsets the drag below. You can't have effective inlets below that ridge. A C7 brake inlet has a splitter below the sill that improves this turbulent flow.
Dive planes in front of the front wheels on race cars, create vortices down the side of the car in an attempt to reduce boundary layer thickness down the side.
The C8 coke bottle shape creates a higher pressure area into the intake(a good thing) but flow over the hood and down the side is interrupted by a ridge that will surely aggravate laminar flow. (Bad thing.)

Last edited by Shaka; 02-20-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks firstvettesoon. I found this one to be a very informative one on the Ferrari 458 fixed and moveable aero components.

Last edited by elegant; 02-20-2018 at 11:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
firstvettesoon (02-20-2018), FrankLP (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:33 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

I tweaked the drawing a little and adjusted the side scoop to follow the CAD image. From the CAD we can't really see the top edge of the bottom ledge or lead-in to the scoop so we will have to wait for C7p, but this is accurate to his description and drawing.

If this drawing generally represents the car I would say GM and the Corvette design team delivered as promised. The nose, while reminiscent and recognizable as a Corvette, looks new and modern. The overall shape and feel evokes Ferrari AND American muscle. IMO.

So far the tail end seems like it will not be as big a controversy as the c7 tail. It seems most here are relatively happy with the design we have seen so far and I am sure the actual car will look even better.

Looking forward to more details.!

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-20-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Stinger-vette (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Thanks firstvettesoon. I found this one to be a very informative one on the Ferrari 458 fixed and moveable aero components.

https://youtu.be/RXhU7T090NQ
C5 had a C/D of .28. The diffuser is not stalled when the flaps are deployed. The ramps are simply isolated. Stalling an airfoil is when a certain point of separation is reached.

Last edited by Shaka; 02-20-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks. I agree about the rear fender top inlets. I believe there is a C7 style and air in late and ducts as shown in the CAD image. I had posted this a while back with a drawing. If you look at my original rendering of this image from a few days ago, I believe page 9, You will see that I suggested it may have these inlets.

I am waiting for C 7 PM to confirm this detail before I add it to the rendering. I am also hoping he will enlighten us a bit more about the spoiler/wing area and possibly the rear deck details.
Its also possible that the green duct is fed by the side scoop. the front end of it appears to possibly line up with the interior of the scoop

Get notified of new replies

To I got a sneak peek!

Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Hope you can keep it running!
Don't care. It's pretty enough to sit in a lawn chair and admire while sipping a nice chianti.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 02-20-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

I tweaked the drawing a little and adjusted the side scoop to follow the CAD image. From the CAD we can't really see the top edge of the bottom ledge or lead-in to the scoop so we will have to wait for C7p, but this is accurate to his description and drawing.

If this drawing generally represents the car I would say GM and the Corvette design team delivered as promised. The nose, while reminiscent and recognizable as a Corvette, looks new and modern. The overall shape and feel evokes Ferrari AND American muscle. IMO.

So far the tail end seems like it will not be as big a controversy as the c7 tail. It seems most here are relatively happy with the design we have seen so far and I am sure the actual car will look even better.

Looking forward to more details.!
That's pretty close.

I highlighted these. Easier for me to highlight them than try and draw them in.

The black shows the body's overall "coke bottle" shape, tight at the door line, wide at the front and rear fenders.

Yellow shows the main lower body contouring from the front to the rear. It has a similar sharp triangle shape that the C7 has. The contouring of inside the yellow is slightly concave.

Pink show the bottom portion of the lower side scoop and blue shows how the rear contour flows backwards off the same line as the scoop.

Blue shows the bottom rear and how the line comes off the same point as the beginning of the scoop. That section outlined in blue/black is convex.

Headlights are still a little more narrow and sharp than what you have. The top of the headlight actually sticks out from the fender a bit. The shorter red line fades into the front fender. The contouring between the two red lines is slightly concave

Last edited by C7pimp; 02-20-2018 at 12:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7pimp:
firstvettesoon (02-20-2018), RapidC84B (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 02:13 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Ferrari's special edition 488 shows drastic changes in front aero appearance, it'll be interesting to see if measured improvements are on par with the optics.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...8-pista-leaked

firstvettesoon (02-21-2018)

Quick Reply: I got a sneak peek!