Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a sneak peek!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Some observations and thought to ponder.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:30 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Note the scoop does follow the spy pic shadow more or less when accounting for difference of angles and perspective.

The outlines match pretty well.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:37 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

These drawings are all pretty cool and I love seeing everybodys ideas, but what are those side vents feeding if the first MEs are not turbocharged? Are their any NA ME cars that have big vents even not having intercoolers?

Last edited by z06801; 02-22-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
These drawings are all pretty cool and I love seeing everybodys ideas, but what are those side vents feeding if the first MEs are not turbocharged? Are their any NA ME cars that have big vents even not having intercoolers?
two of the leaked pictures of the engine confirm a Twin-Turbo V8, so I think many of us assume that said engine will be one of the first a available powertrains. According to recent leaks from ZERV, there are definitely heat exchangers in the front bumper. This is another indication that the car is using forced induction. I’m sure there will be a naturally aspirated model, but it seems that most leaks and spy shots show the model(s) with the LT7(twin-turbo V8)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:47 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

I think you're forcing that coke bottle shape a little on the profile shot, and that is giving it an awkward look. Try softening that. Just my opinion. Great thread though, thanks to everyone contributing positively.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:49 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by b-myster

lmao!!!
Old 02-22-2018, 05:55 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
I think you're forcing that coke bottle shape a little on the profile shot, and that is giving it an awkward look. Try softening that. Just my opinion. Great thread though, thanks to everyone contributing positively.
Wanted to make sure people could see it.

This is on the spy line.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-22-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka

?????????????????
Every time I see the air intake from this view, I can’t help but think Ferrari LaFerrari...

“ If I were to give a VAGUE comparison to an existing car, it would be the LaFerrari inlet. I said VAGUE because the LaFerrari's aesthetics are quite a bit more dramatic than what is on the C8 in the area. If you look at the LaFerrari and how the upper and forward portion of the scoop begins on the door skin of the car, this is also true of the C8 and I think that has been pointed out.” - C7Pimp
Old 02-22-2018, 06:07 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Again. Can a body splain me how you can go from this to that, er, from that to this????

That is a C7 door from an early mule. Apparently, there is no side scoop at all on that car.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:11 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Quinten33

Every time I see the air intake from this view, I can’t help but think Ferrari LaFerrari...

“ If I were to give a VAGUE comparison to an existing car, it would be the LaFerrari inlet. I said VAGUE because the LaFerrari's aesthetics are quite a bit more dramatic than what is on the C8 in the area. If you look at the LaFerrari and how the upper and forward portion of the scoop begins on the door skin of the car, this is also true of the C8 and I think that has been pointed out.” - C7Pimp
I agree. The top /front portion is shaped vaguely like the LaFerrari. It begins on the door skin.

The drawings follow C7pimps drawing and he said that is essentially it...unless he reevaluates and sees something different.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:11 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Still seems surreal that a TT V8 mid engine corvette is on the horizon............
Old 02-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Spike5
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Here is a drawing to show the comparative shapes, proportions and scale.

Note the bottom most drawing showing the CAD with C7pimps color lines showing the scoop bottom beginning essentially at the bottom of the door and curving at an angle up and around to the top straight edge.

The way it is laid out now, it does match up with the spy image scoop lines at the top and also follows the CAD and C7pimps description.

I am sure it will be finessed much better than this.

For me it’s all about a styling theme and design direction. 488 has matching and clearly visual curves with clean crisp edges throughout the car. Lamborghini has a distinctive angular “trapezoid” design. I’m hoping GM will show us a new twist on a unique and stunning design theme!!!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PCMIII
That is a C7 door from an early mule. Apparently, there is no side scoop at all on that car.
Is this a different mule than the latest winter mules?

How do we know?

These images show "something in the door like a scoop. Weird looking but there.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:16 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Spike5
For me it’s all about a styling theme and design direction. 488 has matching and clearly visual curves with clean crisp edges throughout the car. Lamborghini has a distinctive angular “trapezoid” design. I’m hoping GM will show us a new twist on a unique and stunning design theme!!!
I agree.

We only know the rough shapes and scales, not the details and refined lines. I am sure it will all come together with astonishing details and beauty.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:25 PM
Spike5
Advanced

How do we know?

Ferrari 355 has the air intake starting forward of the rear door jamb.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33

two of the leaked pictures of the engine confirm a Twin-Turbo V8, so I think many of us assume that said engine will be one of the first a available powertrains. According to recent leaks from ZERV, there are definitely heat exchangers in the front bumper. This is another indication that the car is using forced induction. I’m sure there will be a naturally aspirated model, but it seems that most leaks and spy shots show the model(s) with the LT7(twin-turbo V8)
Those heat exchangers could be a split radiator for the engine coolant. The CAD drawings also show a front trunk mounted in the nose of the car, so the center grille could only be used for the A/C condenser.

The rear quarter panel scoops would be used to feed intake air to the engine's air breather(whether it's NA of forced induction) that the CAD drawing show mounted at the rear of the engine, above the transaxle, and to the transaxle heat exchanger and a engine oil cooler. Those two large scoops would also be used for the twin turbo's heat exchangers, if the car is equipped as an optional engine choice.

If those two large openings under the headlights are only for turbo's heat exchangers, and the engine coolant radiator is located where the CAD drawings show the front trunk, then only some small scoops would be necessary for the engine's intake air supply needs at the rear of the car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-22-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:28 PM
Spike5
Advanced

I agree.

We only know the rough shapes and scales, not the details and refined lines. I am sure it will all come together with astonishing details and beauty.
Evidently, not based on what C7pimp is describing. Hopefully, Zerv will drop some more telling data.

Get notified of new replies

To I got a sneak peek!

Old 02-22-2018, 06:33 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 869 Likes on 540 Posts

How do we know?

Seems clear that there are/were different versions of mules with different side scoops, as you would expect. They are experimenting with different designs to optimize air flow. But as C7p said, the La Ferrari side scoop is the closest to what he saw and that matches up with the Road & Track photo. If you are going to copy a side scoop, the La Ferrari scoop would be the best choice.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:33 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Old 02-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Spike5
Advanced

Seems clear that there are/were different versions of mules with different side scoops, as you would expect. They are experimenting with different designs to optimize air flow. But as C7p said, the La Ferrari side scoop is the closest to what he saw and that matches up with the Road & Track photo. If you are going to copy a side scoop, the La Ferrari scoop would be the best choice.
La Ferrari has a consistent design theme. Compare the air intake to the quarter window area. And, a bunch more around the car. Please GM do something stellar!!

Quick Reply: I got a sneak peek!