Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Well played. I had forgotten about the 928. I'm still skeptical that's what GM is doing, but it seems there is precedent for it. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:53 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Although the C8 designation has been widely used in almost every reference to the upcoming ME car GM is far more secretive with designations than photos or CAD images. It's all by choice, GM can keep secrets or leak information better than government agencies.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee attack
IMO, I don't think the CB will be as popular as the C7. Plus the price factor of the average corvette owner cannot afford the higher prices that is coming. GM should think about the lost of revenue if they try to sell a high price C8. I'll pass.
Other than the typical yearly inflation price adjustment why would the price of a C8 be any higher than a C7?

They will both consist of the same parts just like any other car or truck, both will have plastic bodies with about the same amount of material. The only difference will be where the occupants sit and where the engine/drivetrain are located. Same parts gets you the same cost whether front or mid engine, same body materials and amounts gets you the same cost and there is no difference in assembly cost based on where the parts are located. Every car/truck manufactured takes in the range of 19 to 20 total assembly hours charged to that vehicle. The only difference in price will be what they can charge for it. For example it doesn't cost more than a few percentage points more to build a Escalade than it does a Cruze but there is a huge percentage point gap in price. For example a Cruze may cost GM 95% of the cost of an Escalade to build but the Cruze sells for 25% of the price of an Escalade. After the initial engineering and manufacturing tooling investments are paid off the Corvette probably costs about the same to build as an Escalade (which is a little bit more than a Cruze) and the sale price of each isn't much different.

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Boiler_81 (02-21-2018), elegant (02-20-2018), JerriVette (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 02:27 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Which is?

I lost my train of thought while being dramatic.

Conclusion is no one knows whats going on. Hell, I thought there was no way GM would release the 2018 with the same Trans. Too many things on the table. People are going to go see the c8 at maybe a higher price right next to a z06 with the same price? Base c8 and c7 10-15K from each other on the same lot and same years? Something needs to be taken out.

Its like going to the bunny ranch with only enough for one.... ride. You will always wonder if you chose right.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:35 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lostsoul
I lost my train of thought while being dramatic.

Conclusion is no one knows whats going on. Hell, I thought there was no way GM would release the 2018 with the same Trans. Too many things on the table. People are going to go see the c8 at maybe a higher price right next to a z06 with the same price? Base c8 and c7 10-15K from each other on the same lot and same years? Something needs to be taken out.

Its like going to the bunny ranch with only enough for one.... ride. You will always wonder if you chose right.
Base ME = 10-15k over full option C7 ZR1 is closer to reality.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:28 PM
f-16pilotTX
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Other than the typical yearly inflation price adjustment why would the price of a C8 be any higher than a C7?

They will both consist of the same parts just like any other car or truck, both will have plastic bodies with about the same amount of material. The only difference will be where the occupants sit and where the engine/drivetrain are located. Same parts gets you the same cost whether front or mid engine, same body materials and amounts gets you the same cost and there is no difference in assembly cost based on where the parts are located. Every car/truck manufactured takes in the range of 19 to 20 total assembly hours charged to that vehicle. The only difference in price will be what they can charge for it. For example it doesn't cost more than a few percentage points more to build a Escalade than it does a Cruze but there is a huge percentage point gap in price. For example a Cruze may cost GM 95% of the cost of an Escalade to build but the Cruze sells for 25% of the price of an Escalade. After the initial engineering and manufacturing tooling investments are paid off the Corvette probably costs about the same to build as an Escalade (which is a little bit more than a Cruze) and the sale price of each isn't much different.

Bill
Couldn't have said it better! I still do not understand why people think the Mid Engine C8 will be 120k+ Base. Like one of the forum members said "those individuals are just uneducated about the topic" and just assume since it is mid engine..
The following 2 users liked this post by f-16pilotTX:
F4Gary (03-01-2018), JerriVette (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 03:36 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
This is the most realistic.
The following users liked this post:
conceptmachine (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 03:44 PM
f-16pilotTX
Racer

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
This is the most realistic.
Would you please list the supportive information as to why you think that?
Old 02-20-2018, 04:22 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by f-16pilotTX
Now we got it two fighter pilots going at it:thumbs

Last edited by WKM; 02-20-2018 at 04:22 PM.
f-16pilotTX (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 04:32 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Do you really think going ME will result in a minimal price change for Corvette, comparative to say going from a c6 to a c7? More and more parts are not going to be shared with other platforms with these change for starters. Then there is the changes necessary on the dealership maintenance side. You are also going to be selling less of these than prior generations, so the price will have to increase just to keep profits up.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:34 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

There isn't any.
It's crazy to think GM is going to blow up the Corvette Business Model that has worked for over 60 years.
It just ain't gonna happen...
The following 3 users liked this post by sunsalem:
f-16pilotTX (02-20-2018), JerriVette (02-21-2018), patentcad (09-25-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 04:48 PM
f-16pilotTX
Racer

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Do you really think going ME will result in a minimal price change for Corvette, comparative to say going from a c6 to a c7? More and more parts are not going to be shared with other platforms with these change for starters. Then there is the changes necessary on the dealership maintenance side. You are also going to be selling less of these than prior generations, so the price will have to increase just to keep profits up.
Minimum in the sense of 5-10k dollars increase from the original C7 debut price but not a over 30k dollar increase, no way. I wouldn't see how this car would sell "less" if it appealing and at a great price. We already know the panels are being constructed from the same material and manufacturer from the C7 panels, we know there is less drive train parts being that it is a mid engine, and we can also reference tadge mentioning building a mid engine car for 5k above the C7 price, and a long history and business model of corvette making their cars a bargain. I do believe the individuals who are purchasing cars starting from 100-175k are not buying corvettes, but rather Porsche, Lamborghini, and other exotics and we came to the conclusion that the C8 will not be a competitor for those exotics (except Porsche).

Also, this debut is just for fun we will see soon enough sir!
Old 02-20-2018, 04:50 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

So you think the ME car will start at like 130k, with the higher models presumably costing as much as 150k or more ?

The only way that would make sense is if the upcoming C8 remains front engine and the ME car is a totally separate line intended to compete head to head against high end Porsche and McLaren buyers.

I think the ME is the C8.

I guess the base ME/C8 will cost around 60-70k. (A little more than a C7 but nothing drastic) It will have an atmospheric pushrod engine making somewhere north of 500hp. The Z06 and ZR1 models will use a twin turbo DOHC, making at least 700-800hp.
The following 4 users liked this post by Corvette#2:
91ZR1 (02-21-2018), f-16pilotTX (02-20-2018), F4Gary (03-01-2018), SyberSaint (03-04-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:04 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I said it many times ME is more complicated to build and Posted this video before. A mid-engine will cost more to produce. Radiators/cooling alone will bring up cost. Watch from time 19.00 on talks about ME. Former Vice President of Engineering, General Motors

Last edited by fasttoys; 02-20-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Shaka (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
So you think the ME car will start at like 130k, with the higher models presumably costing as much as 150k or more ?

The only way that would make sense is if the upcoming C8 remains front engine and the ME car is a totally separate line intended to compete head to head against high end Porsche and McLaren buyers.

I guess the base ME/C8 will cost around 60-70k. (A little more than a C7 but nothing drastic) It will have an atmospheric pushrod engine making somewhere north of 500hp. The Z06 and ZR1 models will use a twin turbo DOHC, making at least 700-800hp.
Why would Bowling Green assembly plant add over a half million square feet to produce one line with half the volume (according to North American engine forecasts ) or even the same volume at the same profit margin?

That business case cannot be supported by capitalist logic at a publicly traded company. I could always be wrong, however I don't think GM has invested hundreds of millions to produce a revolutionary mid engine C8 Corvette that sells less than 40k units per year at the same or slightly higher profit margin than the C7. Possibly if there were other models of GM cars or other business units of GM moving into the 500,000 plus square feet of additional floor space at BG it could greatly influence my opinion into believing an ME C8 will be sold at the lower MSRP ($60-70k)you suggest.

I only know for certain the facts that have been published by GM like you and everyone else, however we all interpret data differently and my interpretation leans towards a business case designed to increase profits. The ME is a means to generate higher profits on top of current C7 sales and future front engine C8 sales first and foremost.

1-ME "halo car" produced in lower volume / higher profit margin similar in design to competing cars raced in the ALMS Series GTLM division. ME will be more expensive car with more leading edge technology produced for a demographic with more disposable income. It will be produced in the additional floor space in BG alongside C7 until the end of C7 run.

2-After C7 run, the front engine C8 takes over the spot in line selling similar volume to C7 to same demographic that purchased previous generation Corvettes.

The front engine long front hoodline is a style loved by many and always will be. Case in point the Ferrari California and Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. GM (Chevrolet) will not let this traditional Corvette profile die in the weeds, the FE C8 Corvette will live on but will have a new and improved mid engine stablemate produced alongside of it.

I respect your opinion, I just interpret the entirety of facts associated with BG expansion and what we read here differently.
I may well be 100% wrong and won't have a problem if all I've posted is worthless and proven wrong. No matter what the outcome I think we will all be surprised in more than one way of how this story plays out.
The following 7 users liked this post by NemesisC5:
91ZR1 (02-21-2018), conceptmachine (02-20-2018), JustinStrife (02-21-2018), MikeG37 (02-21-2018), Rapid Fred (02-21-2018), Shaka (02-21-2018), SyberSaint (03-04-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:19 PM
conceptmachine
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see it playing out similar. C7 continues then ME for '20, C8 FE in '21 with ME short run production to run at Lemans. I don't think the ME will be a high production car, maybe 5k annually.
I don't think GM is ready to move the corvette away from its roots entirely. C8 FE will sell every bit as well as the C7 or better.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette#2

Why would Bowling Green assembly plant add over a half million square feet to produce one line with half the volume (according to North American engine forecasts ) or even the same volume at the same profit margin?

That business case cannot be supported by capitalist logic at a publicly traded company. I could always be wrong, however I don't think GM has invested hundreds of millions to produce a revolutionary mid engine C8 Corvette that sells less than 40k units per year at the same or slightly higher profit margin than the C7. Possibly if there were other models of GM cars or other business units of GM moving into the 500,000 plus square feet of additional floor space at BG it could greatly influence my opinion into believing an ME C8 will be sold at the lower MSRP ($60-70k)you suggest.

I only know for certain the facts that have been published by GM like you and everyone else, however we all interpret data differently and my interpretation leans towards a business case designed to increase profits. The ME is a means to generate higher profits on top of current C7 sales and future front engine C8 sales first and foremost.

1-ME "halo car" produced in lower volume / higher profit margin similar in design to competing cars raced in the ALMS Series GTLM division. ME will be more expensive car with more leading edge technology produced for a demographic with more disposable income. It will be produced in the additional floor space in BG alongside C7 until the end of C7 run.

2-After C7 run, the front engine C8 takes over the spot in line selling similar volume to C7 to same demographic that purchased previous generation Corvettes.

The front engine long front hoodline is a style loved by many and always will be. Case in point the Ferrari California and Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. GM (Chevrolet) will not let this traditional Corvette profile die in the weeds, the FE C8 Corvette will live on but will have a new and improved mid engine stablemate produced alongside of it.

I respect your opinion, I just interpret the entirety of facts associated with BG expansion and what we read here differently.
I may well be 100% wrong and won't have a problem if all I've posted is worthless and proven wrong. No matter what the outcome I think we will all be surprised in more than one way of how this story plays out.
It's late, and now you've given me a headache...

Get notified of new replies

To Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Old 02-21-2018, 03:13 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

First, if it is about repositioning the Camaro, I'd bet it's less about price more about retaining sales.

If, and it is a big if, the next Corvette is strictly mid engine, there will be many Corvette enthusiasts that will walk away from it. For many, the grand touring capabilities of the car had been just as important, if not more, then the performance aspect.

So, where does that leave them? GM has smartly positioned the Camaro's new generation in a near unilateral position with the Corvette. No, the Camaro is not, and will not ever be a Corvette, but the Alpha platform, the one that out handles the German's, makes it a serious contender. With interior options and materials not far from the Corvette, it's in a position to tempt the potential disenchanted Corvette loyalist. The Camaro is nothing like those old solid rear axle dragstrip runners of days gone past. It is a serious sports car in every way.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 02-21-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:48 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I keep hearing the passionate corvette enthusiast would or could walk away from corvettes if it goes rear mid engine....

Passionate enthusiasts who love the corvettes make these kind of messages verbalized until the c8 rear mid engine is revealed and the corvette owner decides to buy a new car...

Once a corvette owner decided to shop the competition...it ll be a relatively rare occurance that corvette enthusiast is going to trade in his corvette for anything but another corvette rear mid engine corvette..

I still remember hearing how "horrible" it was that GM left behind the round taillights when the c7 released...

Personally I never understood the fascination with round tail lights ...and looking at unit sales.....the c7 corvette without round taillights has been extremely successful in sales....

If we were to listen to all the corvette faithful on these various forums you would have thought without round taillights no one was going to buy the c7 which proved totally false....

Same will prove true for the rear mid engine corvette....

That rear mid engine corvette will not only have the best unit sales from multi generational corvettes...

Conquest sales from the german brands will be astronomical.

Same for the ultra exotic Italian brand owners...

Best sales in years for corvette when the c8 goes rear mid engine ...as long as the pricing stays close to previous years with traditional escalation give or take a few grand.,.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:40 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
First, if it is about repositioning the Camaro, I'd bet it's less about price more about retaining sales.

If, and it is a big if, the next Corvette is strictly mid engine, there will be many Corvette enthusiasts that will walk away from it. For many, the grand touring capabilities of the car had been just as important, if not more, then the performance aspect.

So, where does that leave them? GM has smartly positioned the Camaro's new generation in a near unilateral position with the Corvette. No, the Camaro is not, and will not ever be a Corvette, but the Alpha platform, the one that out handles the German's, makes it a serious contender. With interior options and materials not far from the Corvette, it's in a position to tempt the potential disenchanted Corvette loyalist. The Camaro is nothing like those old solid rear axle dragstrip runners of days gone past. It is a serious sports car in every way.
No Corvette buyers will make the jump to Camaro. They are different markets.
sunsalem (02-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?