Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:55 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What!!!!!!

Calendar year 2017, Corvette sold 25,079 in the US and (estimated) 27,500 worldwide.

In calendar year 2018(year to date), Corvette sold 1005 in the US and (estimated) 1100 world wide.

Sales of C7's have dropped each year as shown on the graph(including the right side that was chopped off).
Yes Joe, thanks for catching my typo that was supposed to be MY 2016. I also have a different set of figures closer to what you posted with month to month SALES in US and Canada from GM Authority website.

USA
2017 - 25,079
2016 - 29,995
2015 - 33,329
2014 - 34,839

Canada
2017 - 2,016
2016 - 1,758
2015 - 1,715
2014 - 1,181

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevr...sales-numbers/
Old 02-22-2018, 06:02 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
That makes no sense. Why would GM over produce in 2016 just to heavily discount them long before any planned shutdown of the plant. It makes more sense that they would instead over produce the 2017 models to have cars to sell during the planned shutdown, but instead they had to cut production drastically for 2017 model year because they had too many left over unsold 2016's.

You don't over build 2016's to have them sit for two years until the 2018's were stopped for the planned shutdown. You over build the 2017's just before the 2018's start in production to have cars to sell.

GM just blew it thinking their C7 was going to sell above what the C6 sold in it's first five years. I believe that the sales of the 2014 and 2015 C7's wouldn't have been near what they were if the economy hadn't been so bad resulting in Corvette sales were miserable during 2009 through 2013. There was a hell of a lot of people that wanted a new Corvette during that time(2009-2013), but couldn't buy one as they either didn't have a job, or they had a serious cut in salary, or they didn't know how secure their job was, and a new expensive toy was out of the question. They waited until things were looking up, before buying, and by that time the C6 was out of production(as well as being long in the tooth).

It is a well known fact that SALES of the C7 have been declining every year since it's introduction.
It's very possible that Chevrolet's corporate buyers overestimated the demand for 2016, but if they also waited to build all surplus in 2017 and there was any sort of supply shortage they would have no inventory to meet demand for the 2017 calendar year. It appears you just don't personally like the C7 and like to think that, for one reason or another, it's a failure. You're free to think that, but in the hopes of not totally hijacking this thread let's just agree to disagree
The following 2 users liked this post by NewYuriCity:
JerriVette (02-23-2018), Rapid Fred (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:16 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
It's very possible that Chevrolet's corporate buyers overestimated the demand for 2016, but if they also waited to build all surplus in 2017 and there was any sort of supply shortage they would have no inventory to meet demand for the 2017 calendar year. It appears you just don't personally like the C7 and like to think that, for one reason or another, it's a failure. You're free to think that, but in the hopes of not totally hijacking this thread let's just agree to disagree
Anyone who considers the C7 a failure has another agenda. In an era in which sports car sales in general are rapidly declining in favor of SUV's and CUV's, selling upwards of 25K fairly expensive two-seat sports cars each year is nothing short of a miracle and a testimony to the enduring loyalty and interest in the Corvette. The fact that they are proceeding with an all new mid-engine design is also a reflection of GM's confidence in the future of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
elegant (02-23-2018), JerriVette (02-23-2018), Rapid Fred (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 12:27 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Base ME = 10-15k over full option C7 ZR1 is closer to reality.
Originally Posted by JustinStrife
This is the most realistic.

IF.........this were true. GM has made one more final mistake as a manufacturer. I know some like the Camaro, which i personally would NEVER own. Its as simple for me as i am 53 now....and there is not a single Camaro in my driving years that i have ever liked enough to even give a second look....at any price.

They are just planning the Corvettes ultimate demise. When i owned a 93, then a 96, both purchased new, they were priced where someome with a family could afford to purchase one. But as the years have progressed, the % of a younger demographic population being able (and willing) to shell out the continued steep upward climb in price has steadily decreased, which has led to fewer and fewer buyers and greater discounts at the end of a model run......and still have not maintained selling a product that is financially viable to build and sale. It has reached the ultimate peak of being ridiculous with how the marketing strategy (or lack there of) worked out on 2017 and 2018 model years. When, as a manufacturer you have reached a point where buyers are unhappy bacause a model year was cut so dramatically short, yet the cars were almost given away at some of the discounts offered, how can you talk about more new models with such larger prices being viable? Getting close in 2017 where true new buyers coming to the brand, or they finally took one because it was being given away?

As you have fewer and fewer owners, the brand, which has a significant cult following, will ultimately whither away.

A similar icon with a "cult" following dying off, and fast........harley davidson.

Last edited by RACE U; 02-23-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:36 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
I have been lurking and thinking here. In the past couple of years they have brought Camaro almost to the level of the Stingray in HP and even price. Could GMs idea for a ME Corvette be to chase away the $60K Corvette buyer to the now very similar in HP Camaro? It seems to me GM has for the last few model years been upping the ante on the Camaro to the point that some specs are very close to the base Stingray. Could this have been the plan all along. If the mid engine car is priced near $90K its going to price a lot of buyers out of the Corvette market and suddenly bolster the Camaro sales its just a thought.
In a word - NO. Two different markets.
The following 2 users liked this post by dcbingaman:
JustinStrife (02-23-2018), Yokesc5 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 12:53 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
Just look at the price difference between the Z51 and a ZR1, and they are well over 90% the exact same car. You can buy two Z51 2 LTs for the price of one base ZR1.. they're built on the same assembly line by the same people using the same tools and take the same amount of time to build. Based on materials and labor alone there's no way in the world the different parts used (that would easily fit in the bed of a small truck) cost GM an extra $60,000. I think the development cost spread over their projected production #'s, and what GM believes the market will accept sets the price.

IMO the mid engine car is an additional model that will start around the price of a modestly optioned Z06/loaded Grand Sport, and fully loaded will easily exceed the price of an all option ZR1.

Sometime this year/early next year we'll start hearing rumors and seeing pictures of weird looking C7's buzzing around Michigan that will turn out to be the actual C8.. an evolution of what we have now. In January next year while Tadge is introducing the mid engine car he'll soothe the mob, with their torches and pitch forks, by letting it be known that this new car isn't a replacement for their VERY successful, 66 year old layout. But he won't give us any details because he "can't discuss future products"..
I appreciate the discussion and we can agree to disagree on our guesses of what will actually occur.

I believe we will both win whatever ends up being the case.

I hope everyone is satisfied with the end result.

Change is good even when the c7 is an amazing product ...

I know that no matter what ends up occurring ill be pleased.

I won't be carrying pitch forks and torches to any press conference on whatever corvette news is released.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:01 AM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I appreciate the discussion and we can agree to disagree on our guesses of what will actually occur.

I believe we will both win whatever ends up being the case.

I hope everyone is satisfied with the end result.

Change is good even when the c7 is an amazing product ...

I know that no matter what ends up occurring ill be pleased.

I won't be carrying pitch forks and torches to any press conference on whatever corvette news is released.

I agree! I'll be excited no matter how it all unfolds
Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 PM
Merkur
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The only thing GM will be pushing me to will be a Porsche. A Camaro is not even in the cards.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:58 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

The Camaro has it's own problems, Chevrolet needs to get it back on track....to think that GM is trying to move Corvette buyers to Camaro is just silly.
The 6th Gen Camaro has been a disappointment sales wise, I would not be surprised to see a MAJOR re-style soon as the car is not doing well.

2014 Calendar sales (Last FULL year of 5th Gen.): 86,298
2016 Calendar sales (First FULL year of 6th Gen): 72,705
2017 Calendar sales: 67,941

No question the 6th Gen Camaro is a MUCH better car. It's problem (IMO) is it looks too much like the 5th Gen, and has the same ridiculous sight line problems and laughable rear seat. I would love to see the Camaro get a NEW look. GM did the retro thing, now act like you have an original idea. And for goodness sakes, LOWER THE BELT LINE (that applies to Cadillac and LOTS of others also.)
GM's infatuation with high belt lines is really getting old. I just traded my 2014 Impala LTZ for a 2017 SS. The SS is SO much easier to drive because of the lower belt line. Parking the Impala was a best guess proposition.

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-24-2018 at 12:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
BLKTA (02-24-2018), conceptmachine (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 12:28 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
IF.........this were true. GM has made one more final mistake as a manufacturer. I know some like the Camaro, which i personally would NEVER own. Its as simple for me as i am 53 now....and there is not a single Camaro in my driving years that i have ever liked enough to even give a second look....at any price.

They are just planning the Corvettes ultimate demise. When i owned a 93, then a 96, both purchased new, they were priced where someome with a family could afford to purchase one. But as the years have progressed, the % of a younger demographic population being able (and willing) to shell out the continued steep upward climb in price has steadily decreased, which has led to fewer and fewer buyers and greater discounts at the end of a model run......and still have not maintained selling a product that is financially viable to build and sale. It has reached the ultimate peak of being ridiculous with how the marketing strategy (or lack there of) worked out on 2017 and 2018 model years. When, as a manufacturer you have reached a point where buyers are unhappy bacause a model year was cut so dramatically short, yet the cars were almost given away at some of the discounts offered, how can you talk about more new models with such larger prices being viable? Getting close in 2017 where true new buyers coming to the brand, or they finally took one because it was being given away?

As you have fewer and fewer owners, the brand, which has a significant cult following, will ultimately whither away.

A similar icon with a "cult" following dying off, and fast........harley davidson.
Corvette's pricing is NOT the problem, here's reality on Corvette pricing (since you had a 1996, we'll use that):

1996 Corvette MSRP: $37,225 which is $59,759 in 2018 DOLLARS
2018 Corvette MSRP: $55,495

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-24-2018 at 12:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
NewYuriCity (02-24-2018), Rapid Fred (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 03:56 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

A stingray z51 pretty much takes out the recently replaced Ferrari California in performance ....and in many people's eyes in looks but costs 55 grand versus the Ferrari californias 200 grand plus options...

I don't see why a rear mid engine platform actually developed just before old GM s bankruptcy where all the research and development costs we're jetisoned with the bankruptcy of 2009...would cost so much more than today's model...

So for the most part the added cost for rear mid engine should be minimal for the upcoming 2020 model

Add in the same ohv LT1 derived engine that's an offshoot of a Silverado engine.,,so that's not a huge cost increase factor..

The production site has always maintained a dedicated chassis corvette and producing a chassis with a rear mid engine location versus a front mid engine location really doesn't cost more to produce..

The current c7 sports models z51, gas and z06 all have a Ton of remote radiators and coolers etc so that doesn't add much cost to the c8 model with the exception of various changes in location ...

I do agree the transaxle bought From an outside supplier could cost about five grand more....but a planned 30k unit volume a year could entice the vendor to bring in some added value..

GM does buy an outside supplier manual gearbox so there is history to do such a thing without massive price increases as the manual gearbox from I believe tremec has been the standard gearbox....

Let's throw in the possibility that Cadillac has shown some interest in the c8 platform by JDN a couple of years back as part of JDN s plan of offering an Audi R8 competitor to elevate cadillacs stature in the market as he did with Audi...

...and a portion of any of the actually added costs could have been partially funded by the cadillac division and again there is potiential for added value in the pricing of the c8...

This joint cost theory by the Cadillac division is based off their involvement with the c6 generation and Cadillac funding the various changes Fromm c5 to c6 to accommodate the production feasibility of the Cadillac XLR...(before JDn s arrival from Audi)

The investment to the c6 generation changes from c5 were funded by cadillacs quite heavily...which is giving credence to the c8 developments cost sharing by cadillacs quite a bit of validity.

These are all the reasons I think starting prices of the c8 will be a few grand more than today's models..whether it's the base standard stingray or z51 ..that I can't guess...

Btw

This is all in Good fun guys...whatever ends up being the final base msrp will be what it will be.

One more thing.....I personally believe the camaro design team will when the c8 arrives...be allowed to evolve the camaro s styling in a more revolutionary manner as the 6 th gen camaro is an amazing performance platform with somewhat too much evolutionary styling of the fifth gen and its sales have been softer than expected...

I'd hope that as the corvette goes rear mid engine the camaro radically gets a 7 th gen iteration on its existing excellent platform that transforms the nice but somewhat long in tooth styling into something's totally different.....more along the lines of today's Ferrari portifino...(I'm sure I'm dreaming but hot dam that is one good looking 2 plus 2)

Throw a Chevy motor and trans in ...on an alpha platform...style it like the portifino and I'd pony up the cash for that...with the little 2 plus 2 seating...I'd buy that for my better half and the rear mid engine for myself..

I always would rather give my money to GM...there product development is awesome...and maintaince and repair is always been reasonable compared to vehicles that cost 4 times as much and almost perform as well as GM s two killer sports cars...the camaro SS, 1LE , ZL1...and of course corvettes..

The camaro portion of my future product insights are totally based on nothing other than a few drinks....

The corvette based insights or personal projections are based on actual historical evidence of past corvette team actions on previous generations
Jerri, I agree with you and I like your idea. That Ferrari Portofino is a drop dead gorgeous car.

What do you think of a dual model strategy for Corvette based on what Ferrari is doing with the Portofino/California T and the Ferrari 488 ME ? They both share the same 3.9L turbo powertrains and they are not THAT far apart in price, (as Ferrari's go.)

What if the C7 is evolved to an actuated hardtop convertible, retaining the current FE chassis, but with new styling and body panels, and is called a Corvette "GT" or "Stingray". The C8 is the ME prototype we have been seeing and is called a Corvette "Sport" or "Zora" ? Both would use the same engine options - an LT1 or LT4 for the base model, and a turbo DOHC 5.5L V-8 for the performance models. It would allow GM to hedge their bet and maybe increase there overall Corvette sales to the 50,000 unit range, provided that they keep the base price of both cars below $80K.
The following users liked this post:
91ZR1 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Merkur
The only thing GM will be pushing me to will be a Porsche. A Camaro is not even in the cards.

Drive one and it may change your thoughts especially after paying stupid money for a Porsche and paying stupid money to keep it maintained. Bang for the buck, Camaro first, Corvette 2nd.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:49 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
What do you think of a dual model strategy for Corvette base model, and a turbo DOHC 5.5L V-8 for the performance models. It would allow GM to hedge their bet and maybe increase there overall Corvette sales to the 50,000 unit range, provided that they keep the base price of both cars below $80K.
We are going to have two models, a continuation C7 (at least for a couple of years), and the new ME.

However, part of your supposition, the amount of annual-unit Plant capacity, does not fit with what Kai Spande told us last August 29th, that as a result of GM now “right sizing Plant production for an entire generation,” the Plant will, after the 13 week fall shutdown, possess a maximum yearly production, with overtime “at firewall” (his term) of 33,000 units per year. [That is based on a reduction of 17.2 units/hour to 11.6 units per hour, with the max being 14.0 units/hour due to the paint shop.]

Last edited by elegant; 02-24-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:19 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

What he said!

Conquest sales from the german brands will be astronomical.
When analyzing the potential sales of a mid engine car in the American market, I believe that people can be falsely led by the sales numbers of previous mid engine cars. I like many of us have been waiting for a mid engine car for a very long time. But, the thing is, I am an American! My sports car needs to at least have a V8 (ok, I would accept a V12 also).

I think that people are underestimating the potential for this car. A mid engine Corvette will decimate cars up to 3 times its price. Unfortunately, it will not be as light as a McLaren, but could be as light as a Ferrari!
Old 02-24-2018, 03:33 PM
elegant
Safety Car

I agree with all who posted above that the ME will be a major hit. GM is not downsizing the Plant’s capacity betting on marginal sales, but smartly finally realizing that the past practice of masssive overtime with consequent overproducing the first few years, then struggling with sales the ending few years of a generation — for that practice has been a financially-bad practice, e.g., the up to $10K off GM subsidization program to buy a 2017/2018 Corvette just announced two days ago.

Folks wait three years for most Ferraris. Over a thousand 1st year Stingray purchasers could not get their C7’s until the beginning of year two. I am believing that GM knows the ME will be a hit, and they are accepting that there will be many, many more first-year-ordered, but can not be build, ME’s until year two, (especially for those late to ordering theirs). That deliberate “right- sized generational supply sizing” has two major GM cost savings, e.g., massively less overtime at the Plant, and reduced, later GM massive sales purchasing incentives to customers.

And while it will be very frustrating to those who have not get already gotten their ME order on a priority list at a dealer with large annual allocation, it can have a benefit for reducing our fire-sale trade in/resale values of our ME’s later.

Last edited by elegant; 02-24-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Limiting production will also benefit dealers.......No more invoice sales pricing

In Canada, Supply of New vettes is limited enough, for the first few years
of each generation, so selling at MSRP is common practice.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
We are going to have two models, a continuation C7 (at least for a couple of years), and the new ME.

However, part of your supposition, the amount of annual-unit Plant capacity, does not fit with what Kai Spande told us last August 29th, that as a result of GM now “right sizing Plant production for an entire generation,” the Plant will, after the 13 week fall shutdown, possess a maximum yearly production, with overtime “at firewall” (his term) of 33,000 units per year. [That is based on a reduction of 17.2 units/hour to 11.6 units per hour, with the max being 14.0 units/hour due to the paint shop.]
The "old" building has an assembly line for the front engine C7 that can now crank out around 24,000 annually. The "new" building will have an assembly line for the mid engine car that will be able to crank out around 9,000 annually. The paint line can handle both final assembly lines.

With the "new" paint line in the "new" building, that frees up space in the "old" building for the second frame assembly/welding department for the mid engine car.

By not putting all their eggs in one basket, GM will have two to three years to decide whether they want to continue running both the front engine(as a C8) and the mid engine cars(Zora?) on both assembly lines, or drop the front engine car and build only the mid engine car using both assembly lines, or drop the mid engine car and only run a front engine car on both assembly lines.

With the design of the new assembly lines, they can change their product mix quite easily to meet market demands.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-24-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Old 02-24-2018, 06:25 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

GM isn't going to do that. If GM pushes away buyers from the C8 some of those buyers will not, necessarily, buy a Camaro. Maybe an M3/4, maybe a Mustang, maybe something else. Pushing ANY buyer way runs the risk they go to another company altogether.

Last edited by gthal; 02-24-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:44 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts
Default C8 fe

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Best analogy is Porsche 928. Revolutionary upgrade from 911, moved the engine to where it "belonged." Oh, and they really expected it to replace the "obsolete" rear-engine architecture, which they kept in production as they were making money on them.

Sound familiar?

Oh, and the 911 survived all that, while the 928 fizzled out!

Never say never

The Camaro is close to a Corvette but it's not and never will be. The Camaro witch I've owned 4 of just isn't a Corvette. The Camaro is there to compete with Mustang. Always has and always will. The latest Camaro had help from the Corvette R & D. The Mid Engine might even be separate class all by it's self.

Last edited by jeffs64; 02-25-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:32 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Regarding the “freed up” old space where the old paint shop is (now in hibernation, but fairly soon dismantled and environmentally cleaned up), is going to be used for several purposes, including the expansion of the Powertrain Build Center.

Quick Reply: Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?