Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Old 02-21-2018, 09:28 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Other than the typical yearly inflation price adjustment why would the price of a C8 be any higher than a C7?

They will both consist of the same parts just like any other car or truck, both will have plastic bodies with about the same amount of material. The only difference will be where the occupants sit and where the engine/drivetrain are located. Same parts gets you the same cost whether front or mid engine, same body materials and amounts gets you the same cost and there is no difference in assembly cost based on where the parts are located. Every car/truck manufactured takes in the range of 19 to 20 total assembly hours charged to that vehicle. The only difference in price will be what they can charge for it. For example it doesn't cost more than a few percentage points more to build a Escalade than it does a Cruze but there is a huge percentage point gap in price. For example a Cruze may cost GM 95% of the cost of an Escalade to build but the Cruze sells for 25% of the price of an Escalade. After the initial engineering and manufacturing tooling investments are paid off the Corvette probably costs about the same to build as an Escalade (which is a little bit more than a Cruze) and the sale price of each isn't much different.

Bill

I have said pretty much the same thing since the C8 rumors started. The material costs and labor will be near to what we are seeing now. The components are pretty much the same and with modern modular assembly, I don't see a difference in assembly costs.

People look at the Italian mid engines and automatically think the mid engine configuration is driving the cost. It is not. The Italians charge so much because they can. Price has no relationship to cost. In the case of the Italians, they have a large gap between cost and price. People are willing to pay for the exclusivity of an Italian exotic.

In the case of the Corvette, people are not willing to pay those prices. If Corvette is going to be successful with a mid engine, it is going to have to be priced at what people are willing to pay. In order to be profitable, their production cost better be lower than the price. I think it will.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:46 AM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
No. Because the mid engine car isn't the C8. It's a new member of the family that'll sit above the C7 and the eventual front engine C8.
That is what I am hoping for as well.

Keep the traditional layout Vette for the mid price point, release the ME as a different platform that sits above it, and possible have some overlap with the higher trim FE models like the Z06.

Will help flush out their line up - instead of just Camaro>Corvette it will be Camaro>Corvette>ME Platform. Add in all the trims and there will be a great performing GM coupe for almost every price point, from the stellar value V6 6th gen Camaro for ~$28k to whatever the flagship 6-figure ME will be (not saying the ME's will all be 6 figures since they may squeeze the base models under that, but any higher trim level model surely will be).

Last edited by PuckDracon; 02-21-2018 at 09:49 AM.
conceptmachine (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
So you think the ME car will start at like 130k, with the higher models presumably costing as much as 150k or more ?

The only way that would make sense is if the upcoming C8 remains front engine and the ME car is a totally separate line intended to compete head to head against high end Porsche and McLaren buyers.

I think the ME is the C8.

I guess the base ME/C8 will cost around 60-70k. (A little more than a C7 but nothing drastic) It will have an atmospheric pushrod engine making somewhere north of 500hp. The Z06 and ZR1 models will use a twin turbo DOHC, making at least 700-800hp.
One of the C8's/ME will have the lt4 not NA.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:13 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
No Corvette buyers will make the jump to Camaro. They are different markets.
I agree and two completely different styled vehicles no matter how close the performance gap may narrow, literally apples and oranges. GM stated several years ago they discussed and considered making Corvette its own brand with individual dealerships selling and servicing several Corvette branded vehicles. The purpose of this "discussed change" in business model would be to leverage Corvette brand equity into a larger more profitable business unit. In the end it's ALL about generating more profit for GM and shareholders, this is not a humanitarian mission to make a mid engine Corvette affordable to the masses.

Last night after I signed off CF I "Googled" Bowling Green expansion and read once completed BG will have an additional 870,000 sq ft of floor space with "speculation of possibly more" before completed. It's inconceivable to me that publicly traded GM would increase floor space by "almost" one million sq ft only to manufacture a lower volume C8 mid engine replacement for 66 years of proven success and iconic style of front engine C7 (and all previous generations). In addition to construction costs incurred by GM you have to add additional utility costs, maintenance costs, insurance cost and property taxes to this investment. In my opinion there would have to be much more than merely a transition from front engine C7 to mid engine C8 to support all costs incurred.

Last edited by NemesisC5; 02-21-2018 at 12:27 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by NemesisC5:
conceptmachine (02-21-2018), JoesC5 (02-21-2018), JustinStrife (02-21-2018), MikeG37 (02-21-2018), purple heart (09-27-2018), Rapid Fred (02-21-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:13 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I agree and two completely different styled vehicles no matter how close the performance gap may narrow, literally apples and oranges. GM stated several years ago they discussed and considered making Corvette its own brand with individual dealerships selling and servicing several Corvette branded vehicles. The purpose of this "discussed change" in business model would be to leverage Corvette brand equity into a larger more profitable business unit. In the end it's ALL about generating more profit for GM and shareholders, this is not a humanitarian mission to make a mid engine Corvette affordable to the masses.

Last night after I signed off CF I "Googled" Bowling Green expansion and read once completed BG will have an additional 870,000 sq ft of floor space with "speculation of possibly more" before completed. It's inconceivable to me that publicly traded GM would increase floor space by "almost" one million sq ft only to manufacture a lower volume C8 mid engine replacement for 66 years of proven success and iconic style of front engine C7 (and all previous generations). In addition to construction costs incurred by GM you have to add additional utility costs, maintenance costs, insurance cost and property taxes to this investment. In my opinion there would have to be much more than merely a transition from front engine C7 to mid engine C8 to support all costs incurred.
And of course we both know there's even more to it than just the things you and I have argued. But we're not going to get through to some people here.

Well, we'll know in a couple of years, on way or another.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:03 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I could buy a camaro... if they slap a 'camaro' badge on a corvette...
Old 02-21-2018, 02:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Plus the fact that GM entered into an agreement with the state of Kentucky, that they(GM) will increase the workforce in Bowling Green by ~270 employees, in exchange for some favorable tax breaks from the state.

You don't increase the floor space by the size of three Walmart Super Centers and also increase the workforce by 28% just to build the same number of Corvettes(or less) selling at the same price(or a couple of thousand more).

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-21-2018 at 02:12 PM.
conceptmachine (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 02:43 PM
conceptmachine
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just couldn't see running a C7 for 2 more model years into the ME run at small increase in price over the C7.
If you think C7s have steep discounts now, the '19s and '20s would be collecting dust for an eternity on dealer showrooms.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:14 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Phasing out the base model as the next gen approaches makes sense. By then you get to charge more and have worked costs down. To GM a GS would be similar to producing a base model by then. So declining sales, due to expectations of the next model, wouldn't be as big a financial hit as it would be otherwise.

It is not. At least when measured against similar high end, low production cars.

C4: 13 years
C5: 8 years
C6: 8 years
C7: 5 years and counting

Jaguar F-Type: 6 years and counting
Mitsubishi 3000GT: 9 years
Nissan GTR: 10 years
Viper (Gen 1): 11 years
Viper (Gen 2): 8 years
Viper (Gen 3): 5 years
Mercedes SL (R230): 11 years
Acura NSX (original): 16 years

Ending the C7 with the 2021 model year would make sense, especially when weighed against that engine estimate report that got leaked a few months back.

If they bring the ME to market in 2019 as a 2020 model, that gives them 2 more years to recoup investment on the ZR1 and then introduce a new front engine C8 in 2021 as a 2022 model. We'll probably see the Z06 get dropped before then though. Maybe the Stingray too. I'd have to go pull the numbers, but I think most of the 2012-2013 C6 sales were Grand Sports rather than base models.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:29 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

From a certain perspective, it does make sense that GM would not be developing a FE C8 along side a ME car.... Unless, as in the 928/911 scenario brought up earlier, people continue buying FE corvettes.

Do the FE sales figures (trends) bear out that sales are maintaining levels to justify keeping it around ?
Old 02-21-2018, 05:19 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

The last couple years of sales have been weird because GM did the short 2018 run, and pulled 2019 ahead by 6-7 months. So they had to load up a lot of rebates to move the unsold cars.

Year over year the sales look pretty strong. There's a big lull in 2008 (09 model year) due to the economic downturn, but that's to be expected.

https://www.corvsport.com/corvette-sales-volume-year/
NemesisC5 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:38 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

This chart was from the link provided by Jeff V.

Last edited by NemesisC5; 02-21-2018 at 06:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NemesisC5:
conceptmachine (02-21-2018), Corvette#2 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
One of the C8's/ME will have the lt4 not NA.

It's certainly possible. I based my other guess on the leaked document talking about a conventional V-8, and two small displacement dohc turbo engines, if I remember right, a 4.5 and 5.4 liter.

It seems like ~50hp or so is the predictable upgrade to the base engine between generations. LT1-LS1-LS2-LT1 So I expect the base ME/C8 to have somewhere in the low 500's.

Although it's happened before, I would be blown away if the base C8 has the power of the outgoing C7 Z06. I mean if the cheapest C8 has 650hp, the Z06 and ZR1 would need to be ridiculous to justify the upgrade. So I thought around 500-525 for the base. Maybe something like the LT4 ZR1 engine will go in the C8 Z06, and the new dohc tt in the eventual ZR1 with like 900hp ? If that's realistic, I don't know. I think that's more power than just about any production car besides ultra exotic bugattis, and koenigseggs.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Boiler 81
The material costs and labor will be near to what we are seeing now. The components are pretty much the same and with modern modular assembly, I don't see a difference in assembly costs.
Sure, if they're building a car of similar quality and complexity to what we have today. But we already know they're doing things like coilovers and a DCT. Those cost more than leaf springs and conventional transmissions. If they use advanced materials and techniques to get the mass down, and if they increase the quality of the interior or add more customization options, those all add costs. Even things like colored seat belts add costs because they have to be certified for crash worthiness. I was actually pretty surprised when they offered the red ones on the C7. If the chassis and electrical architecture is engineered to eventually accept a hybrid system, that also adds cost. LED or laser headlights (pending legality), 360* cameras, wireless charging and connectivity for mobile devices, running additional plumbing from one end of the car to the other...it all adds cost.

It'd be pretty pointless to build the same C7 with the engine in the back. This will need to be a significant leap forward in all respects, which will add cost.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:15 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Sure, if they're building a car of similar quality and complexity to what we have today. But we already know they're doing things like coilovers and a DCT. Those cost more than leaf springs and conventional transmissions. If they use advanced materials and techniques to get the mass down, and if they increase the quality of the interior or add more customization options, those all add costs. Even things like colored seat belts add costs because they have to be certified for crash worthiness. I was actually pretty surprised when they offered the red ones on the C7. If the chassis and electrical architecture is engineered to eventually accept a hybrid system, that also adds cost. LED or laser headlights (pending legality), 360* cameras, wireless charging and connectivity for mobile devices, running additional plumbing from one end of the car to the other...it all adds cost.

It'd be pretty pointless to build the same C7 with the engine in the back. This will need to be a significant leap forward in all respects, which will add cost.
Didn't the technology shift from c4 to c5 yet the price increase was only 295 dollars or there abouts.

Hopefully the optionlist will be so vast that all those that feel the need to spend as much as possible will get their needs met.
lesZ51 (11-04-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Sure, upgrades may add some incremental costs but it's not going to be nearly the huge additional production cost many have speculated. Bill's post #43 is pretty much correct.

Many of the items you list below are minimal or no additional cost. I have had many years of experience as a tier one supplier of electrical systems, interior systems and some exterior parts. Many people would be surprised the see how small the cost difference is between a system for a mid class vehicle and a higher end vehicle.

I would also be surprised if there was a large cost delta between the current automatic and a DCT at the volume GM will be buying them. Coilovers are not exotic and will not be a big increase.

Of course price is independent of cost. The only stipulation is there better be enough people willing to pay a price higher than cost to make the endeavor worthwhile.

We will all find out in about a year what the real deal is. Then we can all start the speculation of what the C9 will be!

JerriVette (02-21-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Boiler 81
Many people would be surprised the see how small the cost difference is between a system for a mid class vehicle and a higher end vehicle.
I'm originally from Detroit. I've had friends in the industry, and I've worked positions associated with the industry. Yes, this stuff is ridiculously cheap when you compare it to retail price. It's the difference between buying 10,000 of something vs buying 10 of something.

With that said....if GM ends up selling 3/4 of a quarter million dollar Ferrari 488, then they'd be negligent to let that out the door for the same $60,000 that will get you into a C7 today.

As someone pointed out elsewhere, GM does not exist to make European exotica accessible to the moderately successful American. GM exists to make their shareholders as much money as possible. Positioning this mid-engine car as a more usable, near daily driven alternative to a boutique supercar would fulfill that goal nicely. I don't think this ME car exists as a replacement for today's Corvette. I think it exists for someone who wants near-Ferrari performance in a package they can drive to work occasionally and that they're not scared shitless to leave with a valet.

So even if it doesn't cost that much more than today's C7, it will cost more, and it will sell for a fair amount more.

Get notified of new replies

To Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Old 02-22-2018, 12:55 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

I think the mid engine car will be the one and only C8 Corvette. If a new front engine car was truly in the making and lets say a 2022 model out on Dealers lots in September of 2021 thats only 3 years away. That would mean a new front engine Corvette would already have to be almost half way through its development cycle. No one has spotted any test mules and I have heard nothing at all about any buzz of a new front engine Corvette. This leads me to believe the mid engine car is it.
The following 2 users liked this post by C5Driver:
sunsalem (02-22-2018), SyberSaint (03-04-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:29 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I do agree with this. I really believe that the mid engine car is a separate model, and the C8 will remain front engine. It is absolutely absurd to think that GM put all that money in to BG to just make one car on one chassis.
conceptmachine (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:55 AM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
I think the mid engine car will be the one and only C8 Corvette. If a new front engine car was truly in the making and lets say a 2022 model out on Dealers lots in September of 2021 thats only 3 years away. That would mean a new front engine Corvette would already have to be almost half way through its development cycle. No one has spotted any test mules and I have heard nothing at all about any buzz of a new front engine Corvette. This leads me to believe the mid engine car is it.
They could be running around right now in plain sight and no one has noticed them. These C6 bodied C7s began to be spotted less than 18 months before the 1-13-13 reveal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?