Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 04:29 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
My mind will remain open to the ME C8 until we can see them IRL to evaluate people room, storage, etc.

You'll be able to fit three passengers in the car with only mild dismemberment. Five if you have a chainsaw.

The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (10-15-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 05:40 PM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

LOL... as long as we can carry half of the better half! ;-) But by people room I mean driver legroom, headroom, and shoulder room.

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
You'll be able to fit three passengers in the car with only mild dismemberment. Five if you have a chainsaw.

Last edited by raylo; 10-13-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:11 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

By "high end" I'm thinking Lexus, Porsche, Infinity. Corvette doesn't hold a candle to them in terms of reliability, especially forced induction Corvette models.
I would not put Infiniti in that list. Infiniti is just a rebadged Nissan and is not in the same league as Lexus from a reliability perspective. What Lexus and Infiniti do have in common is that they both make boring luxury sports sedans.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:15 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by yellowmnm
First of all, they are most likely to discontinue the C7 according to everything I have heard now! Yes there were rumors of that! It has changed by recent comments from Gm executives. my Guess is the base C8 will probably sell for $ 64,995 to $69,995.
I don't think they'll discontinue the FE car. However, the selling price you're quoting is about right if the entry level car has an automatic transmission.
I base this on C7 sales from 2017 and 2018, because those years include the GS model. During those years, about 15% of sales were base (non-Z51) Stingray coupes with 1LT, and most had automatic transmissions. In other words, cars that had an MSRP in the $60K range +/- $1K. Allowing for a small bump in price due to the new design and you're at the $65K entry level price you referenced. Under those circumstances, you might be correct that there will be only one Corvette, the ME. However, many folks, including myself, don't think the ME Corvette is going to come in anywhere near $65K. I'm thinking more like at least $75K and it will replace all the wide body model C7s. The FE continues on at a lower price to compete with lower priced Porsche.
One thing to think about. At $65K, the Corvette is going head to head with the Boxter. There would no longer be a Corvette priced lower than any Porsche. Raising the price is not without its consequences.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

By "high end" I'm thinking Lexus, Porsche, Infinity. Corvette doesn't hold a candle to them in terms of reliability, especially forced induction Corvette models.
Ah yes, Lexus reliability. You mean like the RUBBER high pressure oil cooler hose they installed on tens of thousands of 3500 V6 engines? That reliability? But hey, Lexus recognized this is a problem and extended the warranty.....on the hose. As for your engine that dumped its guts when all the oil blew all over the road from the split hose, you're on your own. So guys like me shelled out the coin to have the hoses replaced with a one piece steel unit. But we're lucky. We haven't experienced the well known steering rack problems that plagues many RX 350 owners.
We own 2 Lexus autos. They are good cars but they're not bullet proof as some believe. I doubt our next SUV will be a Lexus and for damn sure won't be a German car. If we bought one now, it would be a GM car, either a Buick or a Cadillac.

Last edited by roadbike56; 10-15-2018 at 10:45 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I think all top model luxury cars these days become money pits at around 8 to 10 years time. Just happened to my wifes cadillac. Its the reason you can go to Barret Jackson and see top end luxury cars from say 2005, which sold in 2005 for 130,000 go for 25k at auction. Look gorgeous still but underneath the **** is just waiting to hit the fan. We see it at BJ every auction. Doesnt matter make or manufacturer.

Last edited by tcweidner; 10-15-2018 at 11:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tcweidner:
ArmchairArchitect (10-16-2018), Zaro Tundov (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 01:56 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
See above, no one wants the Camaro...if the current Camaro is the best they can do, they should rebadge it as the Pontiac Grand Prix.

The current gen has been an improvement over the past but it’s not enough.
I’m guessing it’s a select group of guys who own c7 or Porsche’s who would be Camaro buyers, basically on the young side of the vette/Porsche demographic. Looks wise, Camaro is competing more with guys who like Mustangs at this point even if their top performing ZL1 is better than the gt350.

Last edited by Parcival; 11-02-2018 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Parcival

The current gen has been an improvement over the past but it’s not enough.
I’m guessing it’s a select group of guys who own c7 or Porsche’s who would be Camaro buyers, basically on the young side of the vette/Porsche demographic. Looks wise, Camaro is competing more with guys who like Mustangs at this point even if their top performing ZL1 is better than the gt350.

The Camaro is an engineering masterpiece, it's just that the design team sucker punched the engineers with obtusely impractical packaging wrapped in a juvenile design language. And by making it so over the top macho aggro they ensured that few women would want one. The chassis is among the most sophisticated in the world yet who could guess that by looking at the car?

In a healthy auto company there would be consequences to a failure like the 6th gen Camaro. At GM I'm guessing those responsible got phat bonuses.

The following 2 users liked this post by Zaro Tundov:
raylo (11-02-2018), savage99ss (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Ah yes, Lexus reliability. You mean like the RUBBER high pressure oil cooler hose they installed on tens of thousands of 3500 V6 engines? That reliability? But hey, Lexus recognized this is a problem and extended the warranty.....on the hose. As for your engine that dumped its guts when all the oil blew all over the road from the split hose, you're on your own. So guys like me shelled out the coin to have the hoses replaced with a one piece steel unit. But we're lucky. We haven't experienced the well known steering rack problems that plagues many RX 350 owners.
We own 2 Lexus autos. They are good cars but they're not bullet proof as some believe. I doubt our next SUV will be a Lexus and for damn sure won't be a German car. If we bought one now, it would be a GM car, either a Buick or a Cadillac.
No brand is 100% reliable so of course there are anecdotes of failed Lexuses.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:03 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

I think people should consider that, the reason they are selling BOTH side by side, is because they are intending on continuing to have both variants. If everyone would recall, when C6 started, C5 ended; when C4 started, C3 ended. This isn't happening this time....for a reason. The intent here is to expand the line up, not just create an overlap for two years. They invested in the plant to do this, not just so they could overlap for 2 years and then have a partially empty plant where they could hold bar mitzvahs and wedding receptions.

You don't replace a sports car that goes from 55k to 130k, that's considered a great bargain bang for the buck, then replace that with something that costs double to start, or 100k to start. You're burning your own brand to the ground by doing that. The 2LT base model and Z51 equipped Stingrays were the bread and butter out the box. Lots of people can afford a car for 65k that has the looks of a 150k exotic on the streets.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:07 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

The Camaro needs a major revamp if it's to be taken seriously and appeal to the masses. Even the name alone still invokes the feeling of "redneck". And the styling is just so childish.

They should look to the Mustang which has really done a lot in the latest generation to transform from the perception of being a muscle car to more of a sleek sports car. There's a reason the Mustang is now the best selling sports car in Germany, where people are quite particular about their sports/sporty cars.
Zaro Tundov (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 07:03 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
The Camaro needs a major revamp if it's to be taken seriously and appeal to the masses. Even the name alone still invokes the feeling of "redneck". And the styling is just so childish.

They should look to the Mustang which has really done a lot in the latest generation to transform from the perception of being a muscle car to more of a sleek sports car. There's a reason the Mustang is now the best selling sports car in Germany, where people are quite particular about their sports/sporty cars.
I had a 2013 Camaro 1LE, is was heavy but it handled very well. I traded it for a 2016 Camaro 2SS with mag ride suspension. The new model felt a little lighter and more nimble, the A8 was pretty good until it started shuddering and visibility was still horrible. After owning them it is clear why the Mustang has sold much better this generation.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:13 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Probably been said before but I for one wouldn't buy a Camaro, I'd get a Mustang before a Camaro if that's the market I was in. If the Corvette C8 is priced above my limit then I'd get a used Porsche and wait for the used C8 prices go down if I don't like the performance of the Porsche that I got or I'd stick with my C7 until I could get into a C8.

Quick Reply: Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?