Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Observations on the C8 and Why I think No Front Engine Models Will be Produced ..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:07 PM
C7GSCorvette
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My Observations on the C8 and Why I think No Front Engine Models Will be Produced ..

Except for the ZR1 maybe for 2 more model years. GM is keeping a VERY TIGHT lid on the C8 because once information gets out as to the price and specs of the car C7 sales will greatly falter and too many Dealers have deep deep inventory of C7s. I really think its going to be a $65K base car and that's going to wreck everyone including Chevrolet Dealers loaded with C7s. I truly think this is what's behind some the secrecy of the C8. I have never heard GM call the M/E anything other than the C8...dead giveaway folks. I also think the C8 may be DELAYED. Its November, if the car was showing in January you would know more about it by now even with GM trying hard to keep the car under wraps. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if GM brings the car out as a 2021 model and extends C7 production to 2020. Let's be honest this is an entirely new platform and i'm sure its full of bugs and in need of adjustments. Bringing this car to market buggy or in some way sub par would totally wreck the image of GM and Chevrolet and as I see it that's not going to happen. This is why the automotive world is hearing crickets from Chevrolet right now because this bun isn't fully brown yet and not ready to pull from the oven. Could GM pull a rabbit out of a hat? SURE they could but don't be surprised if those crickets keep chirping a few months longer than January.

Popular Reply

10-28-2018, 11:20 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

If you look at the numbers, the C7 is not really doing that bad - it is selling about 4000 units more per year than the C6 did at the 6-year point of its life, which was influenced by the recession. (Sales came back up in 2013 because of a lot of deep discounts and the 427 Convertible). The point is that the C7 could probably soldier on a couple more years selling 15,000 units each year, but GM wants to sell 33,000 units a year and make a LOT more money in the process. The only way to do that is a NEW CAR selling at about the same as a C7 Z51(MSRP) or a GS (discounted) does today. I'd guess an MSRP of about $65K.

Ye of little faith can't believe that GM is capable of introducing a blockbuster ME at this price that will knock the socks off their competition, primarily Porsche, who is still selling Butzi's "VW on speed" in 23 different flavors after 50 years. I, personally, have no doubts they can and will do it.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:26 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Thanks for the post above. I am no industry expert but know that there is a lot of C7 Inventory

i’m sure when can analyze this issue several ways. If they announce the C8 maybe people would wait to purchase and C7 s would be left unsold. At this point, if they do not announce the c8 people are simply speculating that it is coming in maybe wait to purchase. Same problem of unsold inventory. If the C8 is scheduled to be a 2020 model with sales beginning September of next year and most deliveries and not occurring until early to mid 2020 this would be a legitimate 1.5 year wait for a C8 and could spur (Sales) for people who did not want to wait that long to simply purchase a C7.

with the excess inventory of C 7’s, I cannot see them delaying the C8 for another model year. What would they do,? Produce even more 2019 C7’s ? I can’t see that. They can’t sell 2017 or 2018 C7s as 2019 s, If I am making myself clear. The dealer s would be selling 2017 and 2018 cars as their “new” Corvette. ?

i am sure they have it figured out at GM but I feel the release of the C8 sooner rather than later is a better option! ; )

The following users liked this post:
elegant (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 09:47 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Highly unlikely that the mid engine Corvette would be other than starting sales as a 2020 model, and consistent with long term practices (C7 ZR1 model excepted), new model year Corvettes start to arrive in late summer or mid fall. For example, the first C7 was delivered to Rick Hendrick on September 19, 2013, and the first regular customer to receive his was on September 20, 2013. That person was/is a member of this forum, a personal friend, here seen driving away from the dealership that Saturday.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:50 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

So, right now if the C7 is not selling, why would GM delay the C8 a year for the sole purpose of clearing a slow-moving C7 inventory? How many years should they do this if leftover C7s just don't move off the lots? It's not like GM hasn't thought of this. As long as the C8 is on the horizon, the potential buyer of a new Vette will hesitate to see if what they want is that car or the C7. In other words, buying decisions wait resulting in not much sales activity in the interim. GM wants to sell cars - to get Corvette sales moving again GM will bring the C8 to market as soon as it's ready to produce. By the time the C8 hits the market the C7 is mostly old news and GM will incentivize the mostly old stuff.

I remember when I was 11 years-old and had a newspaper route - when I approached a potential new customer my opening line was 'You don't want to buy my paper, do you?' When they agreed with that and said 'No, not right now' I'd reply with a thank you and I'll ask again next month. My sales pitch was laughable and my route didn't expand by much. The equivalent to that in the Corvette world would be something like GM saying 'You don't want to buy a new C7, do you?' LOL well you might, if the price is right.

When I bought my C6 new in the summer of 2013, it went for $16k under sticker due to GM incentives/rebates and dealer discounting. Good business practice as the old inventory was sold and they were delivering the C7 a few months later. Win-Win for all parties.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:00 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by C7GSCorvette
Let's be honest this is an entirely new platform and i'm sure its full of bugs and in need of adjustments. Bringing this car to market buggy or in some way sub par would totally wreck the image of GM and Chevrolet and as I see it that's not going to happen.
Since when has GM waited to get all the bugs worked out before bringing a car to market? You must be very young.

The following 3 users liked this post by Old School:
Corvette ED (10-30-2018), vndkshn (10-29-2018), Zaro Tundov (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 12:03 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

I don't see the C8 as a sales disaster for the C7. The ME design is something completely different, making the FE C7 the last of its kind (I'm guessing). That's a selling point no previous outgoing generation had.....and the C7 is still one the best sports cars on the planet. I don't think GM is worried about moving inventory.
Corvette ED (10-30-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 01:26 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

from a pure marketing perspective... cog, market contamination, market conflict.. it would be absolutely shocking if they offer a FE car at the same time as a ME... this is the end of the road for a FE corvette.. unless something very unexpected happens... I'm in for one at 500hp if forged internals up to 150k... over that will go w a 720s...
Old 10-27-2018, 07:51 AM
Atomic Utensil
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Highly unlikely that the mid engine Corvette would be other than starting sales as a 2020 model, and consistent with long term practices (C7 ZR1 model excepted), new model year Corvettes start to arrive in late summer or mid fall. For example, the first C7 was delivered to Rick Hendrick on September 19, 2013, and the first regular customer to receive his was on September 20, 2013. That person was/is a member of this forum, a personal friend, here seen driving away from the dealership that Saturday.

As I recall both C4 and C5 were delayed to market. The C4 by one whole model year and C5 about 3/4 of a model year both cars were entirely new platforms as is the C8. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:09 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Or GM could update the FE with new front and rear fascias and the Caddy TT 4.2/10 speed auto first as the 2020. That would be the simple solution and no risk option. Should be clear by now that the FE is going to remain in production so GM might as well update it before bringing out the Zora at a significantly higher price point.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:39 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Or GM could update the FE with new front and rear fascias and the Caddy TT 4.2/10 speed auto first as the 2020. That would be the simple solution and no risk option. Should be clear by now that the FE is going to remain in production so GM might as well update it before bringing out the Zora at a significantly higher price point.
No offense but I disagree with just about everything in your post. We shall see.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:17 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It has been stated over and over again by the Corvette Chief Engineer and other GM tech folks that the A10 will not fit in the C7 chassis. I just don't see GM adding new body panels to the C7 and calling it a new generation. Likewise, I don't see them investing significant sums to update the FE platform to accommodate a new transmission, which they sorely need after the A8 beating they've been taking.

It seems equally clear to me that the FE will not remain in production as soon as the ME is ready for primetime.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-27-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:30 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Here is the direct quote from GM:

"The 10-speed is approximately the same size as the six- and eight-speed transmissions, minimizing changes to vehicle interfaces."

Given the problems with the 8-speed, GM could make the 10-speed fit the C7 and have better performance and reliability. This is not rocket science.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:12 PM
bebezote
Pro

no offense... but..these are not Ferrari or lambos... even the lowly Austin Martins ...(an AM in LA or Honolulu is looked at like a Toyota... serious)... its just a corvette... so if the prime example of a Vette is a ME (future I know)...at even say 100k new....it seems very difficult to sell any FE model.. so a full stretch.. marketing wise.. would be .. a base FE only.. at ...what do they sell for ?? $50k. and then 100k for a ME.. thats the only way I can see a continued FE and ME... I guess it's possible...

my hope is for a 150k ME... that has been fully developed and can compete with a 570s ... and modded or a ZR version compete with a 720s... now..that will get people jacked... if a ZR ME would run w a 720s... Im in at 200k... Jesus..its cheap.. for the performance.. PLEASE GM
moon2605 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 08:23 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by bebezote
no offense... but..these are not Ferrari or lambos... even the lowly Austin Martins ...(an AM in LA or Honolulu is looked at like a Toyota... serious)... its just a corvette... so if the prime example of a Vette is a ME (future I know)...at even say 100k new....it seems very difficult to sell any FE model.. so a full stretch.. marketing wise.. would be .. a base FE only.. at ...what do they sell for ?? $50k. and then 100k for a ME.. thats the only way I can see a continued FE and ME... I guess it's possible...

my hope is for a 150k ME... that has been fully developed and can compete with a 570s ... and modded or a ZR version compete with a 720s... now..that will get people jacked... if a ZR ME would run w a 720s... Im in at 200k... Jesus..its cheap.. for the performance.. PLEASE GM
The moment I care what someone in LA or Honolulu thinks I'll let you know. (Don't hold your breath.)
vndkshn (10-29-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:10 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Here is the direct quote from GM: "The 10-speed is approximately the same size as the six- and eight-speed transmissions, minimizing changes to vehicle interfaces." Given the problems with the 8-speed, GM could make the 10-speed fit the C7 and have better performance and reliability. This is not rocket science.
Here is a direct quote from Tadge: "No. It won't fit." Given the C7 is nearing end-of-life and the C8 will probably have a DCT, There is no way in Hell GM will retrofit the c7 platform with the A10. This is not rocket science.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:56 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I am sure Corvette will just throw away 25K FE sales per year for no reason. That makes so much sense.

Double the size of BGA and produce half the number of Corvettes with the ME as the exclusive car. Lose millions of $$$ annually for what?

Tadge will be looking for a new job.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

That's just plain silly. A better way to lose more than 25K sales per year would be to build an attractive and capable ME C8 and then price it out of reach of much of the target demographic.

Throughout Corvette history, when a new gen appears, interest in the previous gen fades very quickly. Sales of the new model peak the first couple of years and the previous model sales tank. Sales of the C7 peaked in 2014 and have fallen every year since.

Building a "budget," warmed over version of the C7 is not going to generate 25K annual sales, and GM is not going to develop two entirely new and completely different C8 models.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-28-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My Observations on the C8 and Why I think No Front Engine Models Will be Produced ..

Old 10-28-2018, 11:00 AM
bebezote
Pro

so youre saying.....no Christmas card??
Old 10-28-2018, 11:20 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

I’ll be glad when the C8 and the pricing is finally revealed so these idiotic fantasies of a $100,000 base Corvette will cease.
msm859 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 11:52 AM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
The moment I care what someone in LA or Honolulu thinks I'll let you know. (Don't hold your breath.)
It so happens that there are more Corvettes and, for that matter, sports cars sold in greater L.A. than in any other city on the planet. Maybe you, living in New Jersey, do not care what folks in L.A. think, but the manufacturers certainly do.
The following 2 users liked this post by RonnieC6Z:
bebezote (10-28-2018), DocScott (11-06-2018)

Quick Reply: My Observations on the C8 and Why I think No Front Engine Models Will be Produced ..