Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Old 02-19-2018, 01:14 PM
C5Driver
CF Senior Member

Default Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

I have been lurking and thinking here. In the past couple of years they have brought Camaro almost to the level of the Stingray in HP and even price. Could GMs idea for a ME Corvette be to chase away the $60K Corvette buyer to the now very similar in HP Camaro? It seems to me GM has for the last few model years been upping the ante on the Camaro to the point that some specs are very close to the base Stingray. Could this have been the plan all along. If the mid engine car is priced near $90K its going to price a lot of buyers out of the Corvette market and suddenly bolster the Camaro sales its just a thought.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 PM
NewYuriCity
CF Senior Member

While I think a lot of companies like Porsche, Jaguar, and Alfa Romeo would be very happy if GM did that, I seriously doubt GM will raise the price significantly with the mid-engine Corvette because there clearly is a significant niche for that ~$60k two seater sports car. I think one of the contributing factors to moving the next generation Corvette to mid-engine (besides performance benefits) is because it'll further differentiate the Corvette and Camaro lines. Doing this will allow the next generation Camaro to lose a good amount of weight without infringing on the Corvette's top dog status as the mid-engine, two seater Super Car and the Camaro will take over as the traditional high performance Grand Tourer in the family. Granted this is just my opinion on what Chevrolet should do and I don't actually know anything for sure, but it is fun to think about
The Following User Says Thank You to NewYuriCity For This Useful Post:
CorvetteBrent (07-02-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 02:31 PM
ByByBMW
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17

Wont work with me. I test drove a Camaro and did not like the seating position/belt line setup. The Mustang fits me much better. But not interested in a Mustang either, at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to ByByBMW For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

No. Because the mid engine car isn't the C8. It's a new member of the family that'll sit above the C7 and the eventual front engine C8.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff V. For This Useful Post:
conceptmachine (02-20-2018), JustinStrife (02-27-2018), Mike Mercury (07-02-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Bee attack
CF Senior Member

IMO, I don't think the CB will be as popular as the C7. Plus the price factor of the average corvette owner cannot afford the higher prices that is coming. GM should think about the lost of revenue if they try to sell a high price C8. I'll pass.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:24 PM
tbrenny33
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
No. Because the mid engine car isn't the C8. It's a new member of the family that'll sit above the C7 and the eventual front engine C8.
That was my thought originally but the more info that comes out the more it seems the C8 will be ME to me.
Where would you purpose the ME would sit? Only a halo model, or multiple trim levels, possibly placed between FE models?

Originally Posted by Bee attack View Post
IMO, I don't think the CB will be as popular as the C7. Plus the price factor of the average corvette owner cannot afford the higher prices that is coming. GM should think about the lost of revenue if they try to sell a high price C8. I'll pass.
i donít think itís GMs plan to raise prices significantly but whoís to say the price raise means they make less, it could mean higher profit margins for them and reduced liability.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:27 PM
MikeG37
CF Senior Member

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeG37 For This Useful Post:
conceptmachine (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 03:55 PM
elegant
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,128 Times in 559 Posts

If that turns out to be correct, what do folks think the common nomenclature for the entry ME would then be?

Might it be commonly called a ME1, ZORA or?

Last edited by elegant; 02-19-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:06 PM
NemesisC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeG37 View Post

Yep

Originally Posted by elegant View Post
If that turns out to be correct, what do folks think the common nomenclature for the entry ME would then be?

Zora
Old 02-19-2018, 04:08 PM
MikeG37
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by elegant View Post

My bet is Zora.
Which people who have no idea who he was and why the name was used will most certainly mistakenly call it a Zorro
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeG37 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 04:24 PM
tbrenny33
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MikeG37 View Post
My bet is Zora.
Which people who have no idea who he was and why the name was used will most certainly mistakenly call it a Zorro
if this is the case, do you think thereíll only be one ME offering? And I would assume at 150K or more.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
That was my thought originally but the more info that comes out the more it seems the C8 will be ME to me.
Where would you purpose the ME would sit? Only a halo model, or multiple trim levels, possibly placed between FE models?
I think it'd occupy the space the Z06 and ZR1 sit in right now. The most common argument for going to ME in the first place is that the FE platform is maxed out. The Corvette has gotten into this weird area where it's competing (very successfully) against predominantly mid engine cars that cost a lot more. So let the Camaro and the Corvette fight it out with everything in the sub-100k market, and let the ME Zora go after the 100k and up stuff.

I've said in several threads that it'd make for a very nice 3 car progression. Camaro/SS/ZL1 - Corvette Stingray/Grand Sport - Corvette Zora/Z06/ZR1.

You'd have a really polished muscle car, a razor sharp grand touring coupe, and a near exotic mid engine Euro killer. That's a really solid range from $26,000 on the low end all the way up to $150,000 or more.

Camaro shares its platform with the Cadillac ATS, CT4 and CT5.

Corvette C8 could potentially spawn a replacement for the XLR. Some kind of hot rod coupe similar to the Mercedes AMG-GT. Or not. Corvette has been doing ok on its own.

The ME Zora can be a technological tour de force, and could also leave the door open for a future Cadillac variant.

Powertrains for all these cars get shared across GMs entire portfolio.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Corvette#2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by C5Driver View Post
I have been lurking and thinking here. In the past couple of years they have brought Camaro almost to the level of the Stingray in HP and even price.

Historically, the same engine they put in the Corvette is usually available in a Camaro, at worst, slightly detuned. The difference between them is all in the chassis. Camaro is a 4 seat muscle/pony car, Corvette is a 2 seat grand touring/sports car.

The base C8 will be mid engine. I don't think all the mid engine cars will be $100k+ halo models.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:38 PM
tbrenny33
CF Senior Member

I think it'd occupy the space the Z06 and ZR1 sit in right now. The most common argument for going to ME in the first place is that the FE platform is maxed out. The Corvette has gotten into this weird area where it's competing (very successfully) against predominantly mid engine cars that cost a lot more. So let the Camaro and the Corvette fight it out with everything in the sub-100k market, and let the ME Zora go after the 100k and up stuff.

I've said in several threads that it'd make for a very nice 3 car progression. Camaro/SS/ZL1 - Corvette Stingray/Grand Sport - Corvette Zora/Z06/ZR1.

You'd have a really polished muscle car, a razor sharp grand touring coupe, and a near exotic mid engine Euro killer. That's a really solid range from $26,000 on the low end all the way up to $150,000 or more.

Camaro shares its platform with the Cadillac ATS, CT4 and CT5.

Corvette C8 could potentially spawn a replacement for the XLR. Some kind of hot rod coupe similar to the Mercedes AMG-GT. Or not. Corvette has been doing ok on its own.

The ME Zora can be a technological tour de force, and could also leave the door open for a future Cadillac variant.

Powertrains for all these cars get shared across GMs entire portfolio.
makes total sense to me. Like you said the camaro, stingray and I think a more powerful GS which probably would be crossshopped with the entry ME. Then offer the ME with the new Z06 and ZR1. I think that would give excellent variety. Itíll be really nice when GM decides to let all of us know!!
Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

It'd be nice if they got the Z06 back to where the C5 and C6 were. A no frills, stripped down track car. Sort of like the recent Z28. Have the entry Corvette be similar to today's Stingray, make the Z06 the hard edged race car, and then have the GS be the mix of the two. All wide and racy, but still comfortable. If you want to go upward from there, then you're in the mid engine car where the sky is the limit.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff V. For This Useful Post:
bgspot (02-23-2018), conceptmachine (02-20-2018), CPhelps (02-20-2018), JerriVette (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 05:58 PM
tbrenny33
CF Senior Member

It'd be nice if they got the Z06 back to where the C5 and C6 were. A no frills, stripped down track car. Sort of like the recent Z28. Have the entry Corvette be similar to today's Stingray, make the Z06 the hard edged race car, and then have the GS be the mix of the two. All wide and racy, but still comfortable. If you want to go upward from there, then you're in the mid engine car where the sky is the limit.
i would like to see the Z06 be the track oriented car as well but at least leave people the option to add things. Or make the Z07 package a stripped down option. If they fully strip it and thatís it then guys basically would have to wait for the ZR1 version to get performance and comfort. You know they wonít release multiple performance trims at the same time.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 PM
NY09C6
CF Senior Member

I don't think this is the case. But it wouldn't take much for me to move over to the mustang if they price the corvette properly. The camaro does not interest me in the slightest.

Last edited by NY09C6; 02-19-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:12 PM
jdhommert
CF Senior Member

Camaro were my first love, but I've basically had almost no interest in the 5th and 6th gen. I actually like the 6th gen because the weight is down and they perform a lot better, the 1LE is always an amazing package. A pro driver who's owned a *Lot* of cars said the 1LE is one of 2 cars he's been able to take straight to the track, beat the living hell out of numerous times and literally it doesn't need any upgrades to live up to a pro driver beating the snot out of it. He had a C6Z and named off 10 things he had to do it to bring it to his liking.

Anyway, I keep thinking about getting a Camaro to save some money, but those blind spots/C pillars, my gosh. Sure you can set your mirrors and get blind zone alert on the 2SS cars, but still I just dont know if I can do it
Old 02-19-2018, 07:15 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Location: I'm the kid your parents didn't want you to hang out with

My real estate agent refers to this tactic as "economic segregation".
Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 PM
BJ67
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jdhommert View Post
Camaro were my first love, but I've basically had almost no interest in the 5th and 6th gen. I actually like the 6th gen because the weight is down and they perform a lot better, the 1LE is always an amazing package. A pro driver who's owned a *Lot* of cars said the 1LE is one of 2 cars he's been able to take straight to the track, beat the living hell out of numerous times and literally it doesn't need any upgrades to live up to a pro driver beating the snot out of it. He had a C6Z and named off 10 things he had to do it to bring it to his liking.

Anyway, I keep thinking about getting a Camaro to save some money, but those blind spots/C pillars, my gosh. Sure you can set your mirrors and get blind zone alert on the 2SS cars, but still I just dont know if I can do it
I have a C7 and a 6th gen Camaro. The Camaro is not any harder to see out of versus the C7. Drive a 6th gen for a few days, the cars are great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could GMs Plan be to force Stingray buyers to Camaro by pricing the C8 high?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: