Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Mid Engine Corvette (Concept Design)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Cardesignforfun
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP
Nice evolution of what others have previously published. But I think there's enough renders of C8-ish designs floating around.

It would be more interesting to me to see you "push" yourself a bit to create something truly new... totally revolutionary. In other words, conceptualize where Corvette could/would go AFTER the next C8 generation.

You have some skill, now stretch yourself creatively.

Just my two cents mind you.
Thanks FrankLP. I would certainly be up for the challenge of coming up with the C9/C10. Something like you said completely revolutionary and futuristic. I will have something started here within the next week or so.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:00 PM
Cardesignforfun
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vrybad
Looks good, I'd drive that!
Thank you Vrybad, I appreciate it. I think the next corvette can look this exotic. I really like the current corvette, but a mid engine will be incredible.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:10 PM
Cardesignforfun
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shaka
Frank LP has a good suggestion for you. Do your own design for the C8. I don't have your kind of talent but here is my attempt. I tried to please everybody. I started from your C3 front fender in the above view and did these sketches. Major theme is the C3 with a stylized 66 427 hood, 91 non round tail lights, 65 and C7 rear 1/4 extending to center of the door and parts of the shark fish including the hammer head. I'm better in 3D sculpture but I get a good idea sketching first. It's a challenge making it look like a Vette.

Great work Shaka! The clay model surfacing is really nice looking! Is that 1/4 scale? I like what you did with the your drawings and you can draw well. Would you mind if I rendered one to see how it might look with some paint on it? I will be making a future corvette with my own design flavors soon as suggested previous by FrankLP. It'll be completely new with no design cues from the current spy shots. I'm thinking Aston Martin Valkyrie exotic.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardesignforfun
Great work Shaka! The clay model surfacing is really nice looking! Is that 1/4 scale? I like what you did with the your drawings and you can draw well. Would you mind if I rendered one to see how it might look with some paint on it? I will be making a future corvette with my own design flavors soon as suggested previous by FrankLP. It'll be completely new with no design cues from the current spy shots. I'm thinking Aston Martin Valkyrie exotic.
Sure, go ahead. Until there is more info on the ME, might as well find something to do.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:46 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Cardesignforfun
Thanks FrankLP. I would certainly be up for the challenge of coming up with the C9/C10. Something like you said completely revolutionary and futuristic. I will have something started here within the next week or so.
Think about these things as you create...

Cabin Layout... could/should Corvette move the driver to the center...
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-cons-feature

Hybrid power... it's likely on the way. How might this change the geometry of the car?

Drag coefficient... presumably there will continue to be more and more requirements for greater fuel efficiency. How much more efficiency can be gained from exterior design? Will/should the Corvette go the direction of some of these concepts:

Old 02-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankLP
Think about these things as you create...

Cabin Layout... could/should Corvette move the driver to the center...
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-cons-feature

Hybrid power... it's likely on the way. How might this change the geometry of the car?

Drag coefficient... presumably there will continue to be more and more requirements for greater fuel efficiency. How much more efficiency can be gained from exterior design? Will/should the Corvette go the direction of some of these concepts:

Center steering is great for track days but for toll booths and city driving, it won't do. You can have two girl friends though. There is no room in the C8 chassis for hybrid options.
Love this Ferrari. Here are some more.

I embrace where modern car designs are going. Love Lambos but I don't have these new designs in my head. The C8 looks far too dated for my tastes. This is as far as I can go and I only modified this render. The new generation won't embrace it.

The answers lie in this generation of car designers, but some old farts like Peter Stevens can already see the future. They can use modern tools like CFD add ons and with a vast knowledge of airflow to their advantage. Doesn't help me though.
When Pink Floyd arrived on the scene, music changed for ever. I knew it when I heard it. Most have not caught up yet. A new direction of car design is about to arrive. If anybody can do it, the Corvette boys can.
DOT requires low drag coefficients and design is governed by what it dictates. There is a new breed of designers now. Drawing pretty pictures doesn't cut it any longer.
I like the C7 and would like to see the ME continue this theme with some refinement like this sketch of mine or David Williams Cinamax4D designs.

The C8 ME It has to go much further than this. Much.

...even further than this...

Now this has possibilities.

...even this with some more work.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:03 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Center steering is great for track days but for toll booths and city driving, it won't do. You can have two girl friends though.
I believe the point of having a center seat is so that you can have longer wishbones.

Quick Reply: 2020 Mid Engine Corvette (Concept Design)