Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Convertible...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^^^
The convertibles are quieter (top up verses Targa top in place) because the trunk on a convertible is closed off from the passenger compartment. On the coupe, all that space behind the seats is one big resonant chamber, magnifying tire noise, etc....The interior noise level convertible verses coupe is very noticeable. I have a convertible, a good friend has a coupe, and I am always surprised how noticeably noisier his car is inside.

PS. If someone wants to just vandalize the car, obviously they can take a box cutter to the top and damage it. To actually break IN to car to steal something, breaking the window would be way faster. Cutting through a C7 convertible top would take a LONG time (it's 5 plies), and then you've got all the convertible metal structure to deal with.
Great observations. From a looks, standpoint, however, is it just me or do mid-engined sports cars just not look right with cloth roofs? When I see a Vette convertible, I see a classic sports car look top up or down. When I see a cloth top on a mid-engined car, I tend to be disappointed, except perhaps for the Porsche Boxster, which seems to have somehow solved the problem...
Old 03-19-2018, 11:39 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
I think you are missing my point

A retractable hard top would, in my view, add only one benefit. That is, the ability to move the top up and down without physically leaving the vehicle. Yes, that is a big deal. However...

The same roof design with a removeable targa and a power rear window would look identical without the added cost and weight. Benefits would be:

Same look as retractable hardtop
Less weight
Cheaper MSRP
Less repair costs
Probably equal coupe’s performance/handling

That’s all I am saying here. I understand a coupe would have a targa option but I, and probably many others, may prefer the convertible roofline with the vertical window rather than the sloping glass of the coupe. Sort of how many people like the FRC roofline of the C5 over the C5 coupe.

Of course I am making a lot of assumptions here. Button line, I think GM could save a lot of money by simply making the convertible as I described. It would look identical to the retractable hardtop. Go back to the 488 picture you included. If the targa came off and the rear window powered down, it would look identical to the retractable hardtop with the top down. WITHOUT the added cost and complexity.

Again, only benefit of retractable hardtop system is ability to bring top up and down without getting out of the vehicle. I do agree this is a big deal...but I would rather have a lighter car that I don’t have to spend $4k+ on to repair when that roof inevitably breaks.
That isn’t the only benefit. It also means you don’t have to stow the roof somewhere, using up grocery space.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:49 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by purple heart
I am one of those who love convertibles. Has anyone heard anything on a ME car having a convertible?

hope it looks way way better than the 911's do
Old 03-19-2018, 04:36 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaryAnnB
I can't believe we are having "Targa is the same as Convertible" conversation here.

I just called the showroom to ask about existing Convertible stock for a friend. And the Sales Person said... but T-Top is the same! Right.

A T-Top is not the same at all. It is so good to drive in a bit of rain and press a button and put the top up without changing your course on the highway.
Except you can’t do that. Max speed is like 25 to operate the top, isn’t it?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:47 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
You really don’t think that gets “so what” after a while? Again, going with the removable top and rear window approach, are you saying in the Vette-buyer demographic more would prefer the extra money, weight and complexity of the automated approach?

I would be in the minority, then, but I buy them used and drive them almost every day. I love the practicality of the targa, though I do wish they had worked out the aero so you could enjoy it over 45 MPH or so...
I do 70+ with my targa off my 2017 GS and it’s great. What’s the issue? Put the windows down and take the roof off and away you go.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
I do 70+ with my targa off my 2017 GS and it’s great. What’s the issue? Put the windows down and take the roof off and away you go.
I agree it’s not nearly as bad with windows down vs. up (here in the NE I’d like to do “targa off/windows up” now and then early spring/late fall) but still more buffeting than a Vert. My wife is just the right height that she really gets beat up anything over 45 or so with the targa off and windows down. No such problem in my old RX7 Vert.

My thinking is with the mid-engine Vette they could have something that combines the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 03-19-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

I agree it’s not nearly as bad with windows down vs. up (here in the NE I’d like to do “targa off/windows up” now and then early spring/late fall) but still more buffeting than a Vert. My wife is just the right height that she really gets beat up anything over 45 or so with the targa off and windows down. No such problem in my old RX7 Vert.

My thinking is with the mid-engine Vette they could have something that combines the best of both worlds.
Trick of top off and windows up is don’t put the windows completely up. Leaving them gapped about 1 inch disrupts the coke bottle effect.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Trick of top off and windows up is don’t put the windows completely up. Leaving them gapped about 1 inch disrupts the coke bottle effect.
I have done that. I am so **** I hate it. Go figure
Old 03-20-2018, 02:26 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

I have done that. I am so **** I hate it. Go figure
So you’ll let **** tendencies create a situation where the windows have to be 100% up or down, ruining your drive?

Seek help.

Quick Reply: C8 Convertible...?