Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has put down a deposit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Elegant. Interesting answers. For them to move 10000 units what is your guess to the price point? Would you say they will move that many at $150k

And if this car is in that range where will the buyers come from?

Btw 3 years ago I called Kerbeck. Wanted to get on their list. They had no list. I assume they do now but Furman had a significant list and Stanford did not.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:11 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Some top dealers do not create lists until the car is revealed, others even later — all the way, for some, until orders are allowed to be submitted.

Happy to “talk” further via a PM should you wish.

My prediction, for what it is worth, is that the entry price of the ME will be $77,777. Many are below that amount, others at $150+K.

There is an active poll on the other major Corvette forum, and the first 50 respondents averaged $82,500 in their ME entry point price predictions.

Last edited by elegant; 03-10-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 PM
zergi06
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I just ordered a C7Z and put $1000 refundable deposit down on a C9. Was told I’m first on that list
Old 03-18-2018, 09:40 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Some top dealers do not create lists until the car is revealed, others even later — all the way, for some, until orders are allowed to be submitted.

Happy to “talk” further via a PM should you wish.

My prediction, for what it is worth, is that the entry price of the ME will be $77,777. Many are below that amount, others at $150+K.

There is an active poll on the other major Corvette forum, and the first 50 respondents averaged $82,500 in their ME entry point price predictions.
You are not doing your homework!!! Look at the statistics!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

This is a car that is not meant for the masses or the Corvette faithful. GM is going to sell this car all over the world and go after Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini and even Porsche (with their rear engine vehicle). I'm guessing they won't make more then a few thousand and the reminder that they make in BG will be front engine cars.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:28 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Thank you Itomn. Just because in the thread you link, people are listing tons of nice to have (some of them very expensive ones), does not mean that GM will produce a Corvette that does not again surprise us with good pricing. We saw tons of threads, including top auto media, that guessed its intro price for the C7 would be up to $79,995, and similarly predictions — again including some top media, that the Z06 would start at $100K.

We shall see when the official ME price is announced by GM. Until then, all is speculation (including my guess).
Old 03-18-2018, 10:49 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Elegant John, I do believe the people on this forum are in a delusional state of mind if they think the Mid Engined Vette is going to be less than the top tier C7 ZR1. It's not going to happen. That car is being developed for one reason. That is to be the top rung of Corvettes ladder of hierarchy. That list that I gleaned info from was extracted from Zerv's leaks. In it were various distinguishable elements that will never be on a entry level car that you're trying to promote. It does no good to get peoples hopes up for a 80K ME which isn't possible or realistic. GM is responding to the Ford GT for less than half price and will challenge Ferrari.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:48 PM
elegant
Safety Car

I agree that the 2nd or 3rd year ZORA will be Corvette’s halo car. But there is nothing to preclude GM from bringing out a entry ME, and that version to have a full $50K spread compared to ZORA’s 800+ HP, carbon-creamic brakes, and its so many other high cost items.

I just again re-read the list in the “linked component” thread. However, many things listed, such as the front axle lift system, active aero, and similar are not going be in the entry ME list price, but significant cost options. To support this, we have recently read posts that GM wants to model the Porsche “high number of options pricing structure” to, just like Porsche, maximize profits from option components. Finally, many of the component items listed will have a much lesser units costs than we are imagining due to economies of scale.

The pricing issue that for the ZR1 is that it is such a limited production model — causing development costs/unit to be very high. The LT5 for example has only been used in it, and its aero development costs, and its extensive and expensive, standard, visible carbon fiber is only divisible this first year by 2,500 units, with the total ZR1 production run only being a max of 7,500 cars (and this only if is extends through 2021).

The ME conversely, will see about 100,000 units in its first gen (Source: Markit Engine Forecast). That will allow the ME’s price/unit to be much more reasonable.

I am seeing many car media analysts’ cwho have long term cred (not perfect, but lots of history and perspective, and who have been right a good amount), talk about $70K-90K for the ME.

Many who have decided “no ME for me because its going to be over $100K,” could be very, very happy.

Last edited by elegant; 03-19-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:23 AM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Let's spell this out: a major automobile company, General Motors, works for numerous years, spending enormous amounts of money on a vehicle design and, subsequently, fires an employee of the company for leaking numerous Company CADS of that very design on this forum. Clearly, GM was very sensitive to that exposure as they tried numerous tacts to remove them. Why would they not produce it? Why would they make a lesser vehicle after this extraordinary effort? Why would we literally see the drawings of a magnificent mid engine car and not expect it to be built as shown? I agree with you that they may be emulating the company formula that has provided Porsche with a cash cow. I just don't agree with where GM's starting point for the basic car begins. It is, and has been, my opinion that the mid engine Corvette or Cadillac will have to start well over $100k. Numbers of production, because of that base price, will be much smaller then you think. GM will cram this down the throats of Porsche, Ford, Ferrari and Lamborghini and laugh all the way to the bank.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:38 AM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

They better keep the price low.... or else.......

Old 03-19-2018, 01:54 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
The car does not exist. Why would anyone take a deposit? Good lord.
imo just want to be the first in the neighborhood with one.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:18 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
Very simple, a deposit puts you nearer to the front of the line. For the first couple of years of the C7 production we had people complaining that they couldn't get an allocation. The same may very well happen for the next generation Corvette. If a person wants an early production ME, there is little downside to putting down the deposit. If you are OK waiting for allocation, don't put a deposit down.

When I bought my 2016 at Les Stanford, they told me they already had a significant list for a ME.
Guys, I put deposits down on 1990ZR-1 and C7 about 2 years in advance. Mixed results. Worked great with ZR (got dealer’s 2nd one) but didn’t work with C7. Remember that on C7 GM made an initial year -0- allocation to majority of their dealers. My dealer, who had sold me my 2006 C6, had one of those -0- allocations. (So I switched to Rick Conti who got me my C7)

So, check with your dealer on their initial C7 allocation in 2013/early 2014 before you make your C8 deposit.

If it all works it’s really fun!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:20 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lostsoul
They better keep the price low.... or else.......

Or else what? That's a pony car. No comparison at all. Not even the slightest possibility of a comparable car.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by elegant
I agree that the 2nd or 3rd year ZORA will be Corvette’s halo car. But there is nothing to preclude GM from bringing out a entry ME, and that version to have a full $50K spread compared to ZORA’s 800+ HP, carbon-creamic brakes, and its so many other high cost items.

I just again re-read the list in the “linked component” thread. However, many things listed, such as the front axle lift system, active aero, and similar are not going be in the entry ME list price, but significant cost options. To support this, we have recently read posts that GM wants to model the Porsche “high number of options pricing structure” to, just like Porsche, maximize profits from option components. Finally, many of the component items listed will have a much lesser units costs than we are imagining due to economies of scale.

The pricing issue that for the ZR1 is that it is such a limited production model — causing development costs/unit to be very high. The LT5 for example has only been used in it, and its aero development costs, and its extensive and expensive, standard, visible carbon fiber is only divisible this first year by 2,500 units, with the total ZR1 production run only being a max of 7,500 cars (and this only if is extends through 2021).

The ME conversely, will see about 100,000 units in its first gen (Source: Markit Engine Forecast). That will allow the ME’s price/unit to be much more reasonable.

I am seeing many car media analysts’ cwho have long term cred (not perfect, but lots of history and perspective, and who have been right a good amount), talk about $70K-90K for the ME.

Many who have decided “no ME for me because its going to be over $100K,” could be very, very happy.
Sorry Elegant John. I just don't see that happening. I see the ME as the top Halo car from the get go. This car is not going to compete with the 80k ME Porsche Cayman (hairdressers car). I've owned Ferrari's and I would be pissed if my favorite sportscar company would downmarket the car like that. It's a real disservice to GM to project this 80K price mantra on it's finest sportscar it's ever produced as they want to be taken seriously. They are clearly upping their game and are going after a higher level income bracket buyer. We shall see shortly. My money is on a Ferrari/Lambo/McLaren competitor not a Boxter/Cayman competitor.

Last edited by skank; 03-19-2018 at 08:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VetterFlyer (03-27-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:14 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Anybody remember the first gen NSX. It targeted the big boys. Undercut them on pricing, and surpassed them in reliability/serviceability. One could even argue the first NSX forced the "big boys" to up their game and build better product.

I won't be shocked if the forthcoming ME does something similar.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:54 PM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Or else what? That's a pony car. No comparison at all. Not even the slightest possibility of a comparable car.
True, but for me if they rack up the price too much there will be other options I and others will have to look for. 250+ more hp might make it easier to digest. Or just wait and see what a 2018/19 will go for by then. I hate the guessing.. and waiting.. and waiting.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:01 AM
LES STANFORD CHEVY
Platinum Sponsor Since 2004

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Corvette

Originally Posted by skank
Sorry Elegant John. I just don't see that happening. I see the ME as the top Halo car from the get go. This car is not going to compete with the 80k ME Porsche Cayman (hairdressers car). I've owned Ferrari's and I would be pissed if my favorite sportscar company would downmarket the car like that. It's a real disservice to GM to project this 80K price mantra on it's finest sportscar it's ever produced as they want to be taken seriously. They are clearly upping their game and are going after a higher level income bracket buyer. We shall see shortly. My money is on a Ferrari/Lambo/McLaren competitor not a Boxter/Cayman competitor.
S.E.J.,

I think the first ME will be the halo car. As the C-8 develops, look for other versions to follow. Again this is my opinion since nothing has been announced. I apologize for my previous comment it was made in jest and in hindsight it was insensitive. Sorry to anyone it offended.

DMT
Les Stanford Chevroelet

Last edited by LES STANFORD CHEVY; 03-26-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Boiler_81 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Really, womans version?

Originally Posted by LES STANFORD CHEVY
S.E.J.,

The first ME will be the halo car. As the C-8 develops, look for a womans version.

DMT
Les Stanford Chevroelet
DebRedZR1 (03-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Who has put down a deposit?

Old 03-21-2018, 10:24 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by LES STANFORD CHEVY
S.E.J.,

The first ME will be the halo car. As the C-8 develops, look for a womans version.

DMT
Les Stanford Chevroelet
are you SERIOUS? Hope this is an early April Fools joke! I am offended by this comment! I drive the big boy cars with a manual so please tell us what a women's version is ?!? and what happens if a man buys this so called. Version? Does it come with a lipstick holder or something?

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 03-21-2018 at 11:25 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
91ZR1 (03-21-2018), Boiler_81 (03-21-2018), zhopper05 (04-01-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 AM
elegant
Safety Car

We have professional women race car drivers, including Christina Nielsen who is a repeat IMSA GTD Champion driving a Ferrari.

Is Dennis Tap and Les Stanford dissing all womens’ driving abilities?

Women make 65% of all new vehicle purchasing decisions in the U.S. right now. How many repeat posts have we seen, “my wife just told me I can buy a new Corvette; whoppee!” A friend (who does not belong to the forum) just told me last week that his wife has just approved his buying a ME.

Last edited by elegant; 03-21-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Boiler_81 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:30 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

So GM is going to lead with the top dog ME?

Seems counter-intuitive at least compared to history.

Quick Reply: Who has put down a deposit?