Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wider-Bodied ME After Year 1?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:40 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

It seems to me that the typical wider bodied Corvette is mostly about fitting wider than normal wheels and tires on the original design and then covering them with bodywork.

GM will probably continue this with the ME. The original design is usually a good all around wheel / tire choice; whereas, the wider wheel / tire combination is better for dry weather / track conditions.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (03-14-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 01:45 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
I doubt it as well, at least in regards to HP and most performance numbers. However, I do think they should strive to make a car that is more balanced and enjoyable to drive from a performance perspective. That’s a goal I think they can easily attain with this new platform if done right.
Exactly.

One thing that always annoyed me about my C5 Z06 and the Viper I rented was their following of the grooves on road on the highway due to the wide front tires. Mid-engine cars do not need wide front tires and thus do not have this issue. So not only does the better balance make handling nice it also makes cruising on the highway more enjoyable.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (03-14-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Tine
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought the engine forecast document showed ALL the ME engines being produced in 2019.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:19 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It did (does). It is a predictive document, and while based on some good sleuthing, it is not a GM document.

When someone checked with an GM insider, showing that person the five key pages of the Markit Engine Forecast that mention “Corvette,” that Detroit person said that while there was some accuracy to it, it was not completely correct — and would not say another word.

Thus, we are left not knowing what are the correct predictions nor the incorrect predictions. And thus we wait — at least until next January’s reveal, and even then, at that Reveal we only learn the parts that which is correct for the revealed model(s), and based on decades of history, GM staff there are not going to share any details about the motors will only later see in following year models.

The only way we are going to learn all at the Reveal is if, and this is one huge if, GM tells us then that the 6.2L OHV, the 4.2L DOHC, TT and the 5.5L DOHC, TT are all going to be available the first year of the ME.

Last edited by elegant; 03-06-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:24 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,239 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Old 03-06-2018, 05:42 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I was talking with a couple of long-term Corvette friends and while we believe we will see a HP version(s) starting in year 2 (e.g., more power, bigger, maybe actively aero), we are all thinking that the ME will appear as a wide-body in year one, and not gain body panel width thereafter.

What do you think?
I believe that as well. It already appears to be as wide as the C7 wide bodies and they are already too broad for most of Europe where the Zora will also sell. I travel to the South of France and Italy periodically and the secondary roads are narrow. The *** end of a Grand Sport or ZO6 looks huge from behind on some of those roads. I also agree that all three engines will be in the mix but the 5.5 will come later in the HiPo Zora edition. The Zora name should be from the initial intro with a additional name added with the big engine and or spyder model. Think Ferrari La Ferrari/La Ferrari Aperta or 488 GTB/488 Pista!!!

Last edited by skank; 03-06-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:13 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

It did (does). It is a predictive document, and while based on some good sleuthing, it is not a GM document.

When someone checked with an GM insider, showing that person the five key pages of the Markit Engine Forecast that mention “Corvette,” that Detroit person said that while there was some accuracy to it, it was not completely correct — and would not say another word.

Thus, we are left not knowing what are the correct predictions nor the incorrect predictions. And thus we wait — at least until next January’s reveal, and even then, at that Reveal we only learn the parts that which is correct for the revealed model(s), and based on decades of history, GM staff there are not going to share any details about the motors will only later see in following year models.

The only way we are going to learn all at the Reveal is if, and this is one huge if, GM tells us then that the 6.2L OHV, the 4.2L DOHC, TT and the 5.5L DOHC, TT are all going to be available the first year of the ME.
so are you of the belief the C8 will be ME or that the ME will have 2/3 different ME variants coexisting with the FE car? Also separately where do you get/have so much good info? I’m a PNWer and usually no one has any good info out here!!
Old 03-08-2018, 10:27 AM
Tine
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks so much elegant!!! That's something I've been wondering about for quite a while. I'm also waiting for the Z06/ZR1 version of the mid engine. Have been 4th a local list since my Z06 arrived in Dec. 2014. Decided against a ZR1, mostly based on the engine forecast document and didn't want to risk trading it off just a year later.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 AM
-vet
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default "the same guys"

The various Chevrolet cars all have a certain look when you see the front end design. The various Corvette models in general terms have a common front end design to. The same guys that designed the C7 also designed the C8. When you look at the front of a C8 it will look like the wide stance of the ZR1 with some subtle differences for the ME design requirements. Put the motor in the back and your C7 design theme will turn into a C8. Just as the ZR1 design has a muscular sculpted appearance so does the C8. Someone commented about the width but that is needed for the C8's wider front track. Again creating a more muscular and complex look that manages air flow effectively especially for the unique requirements when the motor is in the back of the car. Another body shape concern addressed is more protection for the tires thus aiding air flow again.
The second C8 will be the so called 'wide-body' version. This has a dual purpose in that it supports a hi-peformance street version and also the design used on the C8 race car program. I would not bet against an Atlanta track introduction of the street version this fall. The C7 and C8 will coexist in the market for a few years. There are also 'special editions' of the new C8 coming to!
The following 2 users liked this post by -vet:
elegant (03-14-2018), Shaka (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

If the C4, C5, C6, and C7 generations are any indications, I’ll bet the initial ME comes out w the carryover 6.2L, and the DOHCs are follow on year upgrades to get the Corvetteisti to buy the latest and greatest.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:00 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

That “formula” has worked well for GM in the past. And I believe it will be again what we see, that the first year ME does not offer the HP version, i.e., that we see, starting year 2 or 3 such things as more powerful motors, larger tire width (although perhaps not by much), advanced aero, larger brakes and similar.

However, there are more than a few of us who believe that “the formula” will change in one respect for the ME in that throughout the entire generation, the body width will remain the same.

Could we who believe that be wrong in that belief? Of course....

Last edited by elegant; 03-14-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

I believe we will see larger wheels and tires than we have seen in the spy photos to date in higher performance c8 models..

If that requires a wider stance or wider body work so be it....

It's an inexpensive way to show the higher performance version as it appears...

Slightly wider fenders and slightly wider tires...
Old 03-14-2018, 06:19 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

GM has consistently built a frame for the high-end, and then ramped up over the life-cycle.

Given the changes involved, it only makes sense to start slow and work into the more demanding models. Unforeseen issues, such as 'overheating' are much better handled in smaller blocks and they can make adjustments impact future models. By example, note the tuning of mag shocks with adjustments gleaned after release of the C7.

Dropping the full range into the market on day one would spell potential disaster that affects the brand.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
It seems to me that the typical wider bodied Corvette is mostly about fitting wider than normal wheels and tires on the original design and then covering them with bodywork.

GM will probably continue this with the ME. The original design is usually a good all around wheel / tire choice; whereas, the wider wheel / tire combination is better for dry weather / track conditions.
Left side wider than right.

Last edited by Shaka; 03-15-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:08 AM
-vet
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That “formula” has worked well for GM in the past. And I believe it will be again what we see, that the first year ME does not offer the HP version, i.e., that we see, starting year 2 or 3 such things as more powerful motors, larger tire width (although perhaps not by much), advanced aero, larger brakes and similar.

However, there are more than a few of us who believe that “the formula” will change in one respect for the ME in that throughout the entire generation, the body width will remain the same.

Could we who believe that be wrong in that belief? Of course....
There will be two different body widths for the new generation c8. Also more colors to choose from with the new paint shop.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:18 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

this certainly falls in line with historical trends... i would suspect also that the higher more expensive version would also get the expensive active aero built in... that would justify the $100K + prices for the higher end versions while maintaining affordability for the entry version ( without it)

Get notified of new replies

To Wider-Bodied ME After Year 1?

Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Yep...wide body flared fenders amount to about an inch and a half...and occur in the second or third year of a new generation...

So I'd suggest since it's a way to get first year generational buyers back into the showrooms opening their fat wallets yet again successfully you can bet GM will continue the trend with the c8...and every other generation afterward....

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-02-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:45 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 119 Posts

I was talking with a couple of long-term Corvette friends and while we believe we will see a HP version(s) starting in year 2 (e.g., more power, bigger, maybe actively aero), we are all thinking that the ME will appear as a wide-body in year one, and not gain body panel width thereafter.

What do you think?
Originally Posted by PurpleLion

Elegant, in another thread you mentioned the wheel and tire sizes for comparable mid engine cars, can you add a column with their horsepower for the respective tire size?. If a ME c8 makes anywhere near 755hp, what kind of tire would it need, and what tire does its compeition have?

LaFerrari wears Front: P265/30R19, rear: P345/30R20 and i'd say that's about right. So you're going to need a wider body to fit that tire.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:16 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race
Well here's another thought..... The new ME could be priced at the LOW end of the Corvette line.... say in the $60-70K range and thus eliminate the base, Z51 and Grand Sport. Then as the 'performance' versions are introduced, they would phase out the Z06 and ZR1!!!

That would allow for more aggressive exterior styling to follow in years 2 and so on.

Anybody feel that the Corvette line will become a full series (like Porsche and Ferrari) with everything including sedans and SUV's???

By the way, the most recent additions to the Ferrari line was the California back 10 years ago, priced at the bottom of their line, although they always seem to slipped in various 'special editions'.....
I had never considered that but it's a very solid thought. Assuming the first year ME is going to be priced close to the Stingray (which I think it will), I could see the C8 taking that lower end of the lineup (do away with the C7 Stingray and GS) and keep the C7 Z06/ZR1 until the higher performance variants come out 2-4 years after into.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-02-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wider-Bodied ME After Year 1?