Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Models of the C8

Old 03-14-2018, 05:36 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,176 Posts

Don't listen to the guys who say the c8 is starting at 80 grand.

There is literally no reason to move the base price from 55 grand to 80 grand...for a rear mid engine corvette c8..

Only the trolls are saying that nonsense...

Five grand tops...if that ..

The majority of the research and development was done prior to the 2009/10 GM bankruptcy...cadillac division invested heavily into the rest of the cost as they wanted a 2 seat rear mid engine sports car to compete with JDM s previous employer Audi which he saved...

By the time your done the standard yet amazing c8 will be at most starting at five grand more msrp..

Yes options will probably be more costly if we are talking up models having twin turbo Dohc engines as that equipment costs big bucks to produce...

But a LT1 derived power plant is chump change ..

I believe it's been said in the camaro world the Dohc v6 base engine costs more to produce than the ls3 version..meanwhile GM charged 10 grand more for the v8 version because it was so much better a performer.

Don't believe everything you hear about costs..

As those from Missouri would say "Show Me"

Five grand tops unless GM wants to bend us over and then it ll be a 7500 dollar increase in base msrp but if so we will find some various previous options that we all would have bought anyway are standard.

I'm thinking maybe the MRC shocks and z51 handling option become standard with the c8 ..but who knows what will be ...

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-14-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:32 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Is there any info-patents on new body panel materials or advancements?

Maybe they should go green and start using the Soy and Hemp based molded panels ?

...would make "overheating" issues much more tolerable!
don't laugh, manufacturers are looking to incorporate more wood based and recycled content in the cars.

corvette did this with the balsa carbon fiber ply floors and it's a pretty solid construct as balsa is great for filling the voids in a moncoque type construction. Nice in crashes and better than a face full of metal problem is it's a bit labor intensive. so now industrial foams, epoxy, carbon fiber, and soon disruptive technology like parts printing will soon likely be coming.

take a look at what Kevin Czinger is doing on the blade project.

carbon fiber tubes with printed high strength "knuckles" that let you glue the chassis together using production ready carbon fiber tube technology. Printing body panels has a lot of appeal too as you can change styles quickly without big retooling costs. The tech is here, and with lower volume runs, it makes sense. I hope to see more of it as it will drive down weight without compromising crash worthiness.

the old gal has gotten a bit broad in the beam and the "corvette for everyone" strategy of adding luxury and making a cadivette adds quite a bit of weight.

visualize a 3k car with a ME TT DOHC 5.5 850 hp vette which appears to be coming, and I'll show you something that makes people take notice

future looks bright for the corvette if they can deliver such an "exotic recipie" at a working mans price. I don't have 120k lying around so I built my own, but I'm excited to see what chevy can delivery that hits these performance benchmarks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Models of the C8