Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who is going to service this new beast ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The beauty of buying a GM product is that for the most part costs or rather hours of labor for service are held in check from the get go.

Most service will be done with the engine in place yet when the more serious services need to be accomplished the rear subframe drop will be organized and easy.

I'll imagine four hours and four bolts...(kidding but it will be organized and properly communicated to GM world class techs )

Figure an extra five hundred for major services to drop the engine when needed...

Purchasing the GMEPP warranty for extended ownership will prove a smart choice but I always feel the cost of GMEPP makes its purchase a non decision...

Ymmv
Ah but you get what you pay for. The concept of electrics is somewhat lost on the General, and often need replacement. For example, any electrical component on the 68' and 84' Vettes. Even later years the dash lights would randomly go out, then there was the rear hatch glass of the 97' that wanted to be a bird rather than part of a car. And in the modern era, due to overheating issues the C7 is more at home in Alaska than running down the Pacific Coast Highway. But the real problem is The General, and domestic car manufacturers as a whole. There is one very simple rule for anyone conducting repair, don't break anything else while you are trying to fix the first thing. As a mechanic, their job is to do it quicker and better than I can. It is rare that I've ever gotten a car back from a domestic dealership that didn't scratch something, forget something, or plain old fail to fix what they were supposed to fix. One time, a GM dealership did some work on my car, called me to say it's ready, and when I got there as we both stared at the car, I say "It's ready?" The guy says "yep, ready to go". I stare back at the car clearly able to see what's wrong, he has no clue. Eventually I have to tell him, my fog lights and the air dam were missing. He says "No that's how it goes."

Maybe the parts are cheap but the dealership cannot be trusted to do the work.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 03-27-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:38 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I never buy an extended warranty on my non-Corvettes, but always buy one on my Corvettes — and also buy it from Dennis Fichtner of Denny Menholt Chevrolet.

Heads up Denny, for we shall do more GMEPP business on my upcoming ME.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Incombent on us to do first due diligence on our dealership and our Tech. Years ago, before I did my up-front, detailed research, I had to fire two dealerships. Then did my research and have never since been disappointed with either my dealership nor my Tech.

Ken Yutzie, Power Chev, Sublimity.

Every one of my friends who have followed me to that combination has similarly always been extremely satisfied!. As one example, without extra charge, Ken, a 30 year Tech, is always and only assigned even to routine oil and filter changes.

We need to be smart and choose the right Chevy dealership!

Last edited by elegant; 03-27-2018 at 10:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 10:53 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Right and CADILLAC sells so many "supercars"
We have seen Nissan sell a GTR, Acura an NSX, Ford a Ford GT, Lexus the LFA...if GM were to eventually use this C7/modular base to build a bespoke "supercar" for Cadillac I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility at all. Many brands have jumped into the "supercar" pool at various levels, with no real prior "supercar" in their lineups, to bring a bit of excitement to the showrooms, etc.

Supercar is a very blurred word anymore, because we aren't sure where that title really begins anymore. By some parameters, the Hellcat is a supercar and that's built on a 15yr old Diamler chassis.

I think GM's mid engine platform, while unique, will still be a GM product...unlike say a Ford GT, which has a ton of unique componentry, etc. It'd be fine.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:30 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I never buy an extended warranty on my non-Corvettes, but always buy one on my Corvettes — and also buy it from Dennis Fichtner of Denny Menholt Chevrolet.

Heads up Denny, for we shall do more GMEPP business on my upcoming ME.
I bought one for my 2010 never used it and got money back when I got another car. Next year what comes first ME or extended warranty?. 3 years MARCH '16
Old 03-27-2018, 03:35 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
We have seen Nissan sell a GTR, Acura an NSX, Ford a Ford GT, Lexus the LFA...if GM were to eventually use this C7/modular base to build a bespoke "supercar" for Cadillac I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility at all. Many brands have jumped into the "supercar" pool at various levels, with no real prior "supercar" in their lineups, to bring a bit of excitement to the showrooms, etc.

Supercar is a very blurred word anymore, because we aren't sure where that title really begins anymore. By some parameters, the Hellcat is a supercar and that's built on a 15yr old Diamler chassis.

I think GM's mid engine platform, while unique, will still be a GM product...unlike say a Ford GT, which has a ton of unique componentry, etc. It'd be fine.
I don't think the HELLCAT is a supercar. It's super fast but to me it's a box with a big ole engine. I hope the ME is SUPER therefore it'll be a SUPER CAR
Old 03-27-2018, 06:41 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Right and CADILLAC sells so many "supercars"
The average selling price of a Cadillac is far higher than a Chevy. Current Corvettes are inline price wise with the nicer Silverados and Suburbans. Cadillac also has a dealer experience that is more online with a supercar priced vehicle. If you think some dude who just dumped 200-300k on a super car is going to be happy at his corner Chevy dealer, that will not happen.

This will be a C8 corvette and not a super car.

Last edited by NY09C6; 03-27-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:43 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I don't think the HELLCAT is a supercar. It's super fast but to me it's a box with a big ole engine. I hope the ME is SUPER therefore it'll be a SUPER CAR
The hellcat is in no way, shape, or form, a supercar. You could label it a factory muscle car.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
The average selling price of a Cadillac is far higher than a Chevy. Current Corvettes are inline price wise with the nicer Silverados and Suburbans. Cadillac also has a dealer experience that is more online with a supercar priced vehicle. If you think some dude who just dumped 200-300k on a super car is going to be happy at his corner Chevy dealer, that will not happen.

This will be a C8 corvette and not a super car.
When My local Chevrolet dealer also sold Mercedes, the Mercedes had a different service door to drive through to get service, along with personnel that only handled the Mercedes owners. Completely different treatment than the Chevrolet owners received.

When I had my Cadillac, the dealer also sold Pontiacs. When I took my Caddy in for service, I used a different service door and service advisor. Completely different treatment then the Pontiac owners received.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:03 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by elegant
Incombent on us to do first due diligence on our dealership and our Tech. Years ago, before I did my up-front, detailed research, I had to fire two dealerships. Then did my research and have never since been disappointed with either my dealership nor my Tech.

Ken Yutzie, Power Chev, Sublimity.

Every one of my friends who have followed me to that combination has similarly always been extremely satisfied!. As one example, without extra charge, Ken, a 30 year Tech, is always and only assigned even to routine oil and filter changes.

We need to be smart and choose the right Chevy dealership!
I don't know about others, but backing up what you say in Paragraph 1, I've found that once you find "a guy" who is THE GUY to go to, if he goes somewhere, I follow him. While it SHOULD be easy to find good mechanics, good technicians, (good carpenters, plumbers, Mr. Fixit's, etc.)---the fact is, it isn't. So, once I find one, I stick with them---no matter where they go. Sometimes, when they move 60 miles away it's not easy, but Jerrivette seems to have the same method I have: find the best, and stick with them. Works for me!

And, no, I don't think every dealer will be an ME dealer. Some say, dealers have learned dry-sump oil changes, lifting cars, ceramic brakes, etc. All the stories on here contradict those claims, i.e.. over- under-filling oil, cracked rockers, chipping rotors. But those who can-do, will do. Those who can't, hopefully, won't be allowed to try it out on your ME car!

Quick Reply: So who is going to service this new beast ?