Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who is going to service this new beast ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by bgspot
Thats because you're stuck in the past. Things change and evolve. We're all watching the corvette slowly morph into a supercar. Whose to say a brand like Kia or Toyota can't have a car/line up that won't one day be considered luxurious on a BMW or Mercedes level???

On topic like others have already mentioned, there are good dealers out there. You just have to do some research.
Just go and drive a cheap 'ol Toyota Avalon. The Germans can't refine a car to this level let alone to a Lexus level. What is shocking to learn is that the new Supra will be on a BMW chassis with a BMW engine. There goes the Toyota brand.

The best Corvette mechanic in the south is John Erwin at Grieco Chevrolet Ft. Lauderdale Florida.

Last edited by Shaka; 03-15-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:45 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I still do not understand why people feel the c8 will be a super car. There is a decent chance this will be a 70k Corvette.

I got a better one..I remember when the Lamborghini Muira msrp was $19995 and it was a supercar...

Don't sweat the time warp.....learn to go with the flow

kidding of course..l

If it walks like a duck, acts like a duck and quacks like a duck but it only cost xxx...it's still an F in duck...

Get with the program
Old 03-19-2018, 09:55 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Many ME cars have removable inner fenders. Once removed (5 minutes) the entire side of the engine, transaxle, <radiators or coolers> are exposed for easy <eye level> access and service.

This is vastly better than having to crawl up on top of a FE car and reach down into the engine bay (especially with all the covers involved nowadays.) It is also better than access from underneath reaching up into the engine bay (with hot fluids dropping out.)
Exactly. Shoot I can change the spark plugs on my Gallardo easier than my Tahoe.

Changing oil is 2 drain plugs instead of 1, no big deal.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:53 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory

Exactly. Shoot I can change the spark plugs on my Gallardo easier than my Tahoe.

Changing oil is 2 drain plugs instead of 1, no big deal.
That would be great, again, it has to be engineered into the design of the car and not an afterthought. Changing a light bulb on my old Malibu involved removing the front bumper clip assembly! That was brilliantly designed !!! BY GM !!!
Old 03-19-2018, 11:21 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
That would be great, again, it has to be engineered into the design of the car and not an afterthought. Changing a light bulb on my old Malibu involved removing the front bumper clip assembly! That was brilliantly designed !!! BY GM !!!
My 2010 Tahoe past 178,000 miles the other day. It has had no maintenance besides oil, Trans fluid and plugs and plug Wires in that time. No check engine lights either. So GM can make a car that doesn’t need much service.

Last edited by rgregory; 03-19-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:55 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I got a better one..I remember when the Lamborghini Muira msrp was $19995 and it was a supercar...

Don't sweat the time warp.....learn to go with the flow

kidding of course..l

If it walks like a duck, acts like a duck and quacks like a duck but it only cost xxx...it's still an F in duck...

Get with the program
So you think it's going to cost 5k for a brake job? Hundreds of dollars for an oil change/service? This will be a Chevy and be affordable. It will be able to be serviced at a GM dealer like a pickup truck. You won't have to travel 100's of miles to a Ferrari dealership.

Last edited by NY09C6; 03-20-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM
rgregory
Race Director

So you think it's going to cost 5k for a break job? Hundreds of dollars for an oil change/service? This will be a Chevy and be affordable. It will be able to be serviced at a GM dealer like a pickup truck. You won't have to travel 100's of miles to a Ferrari dealership.
i agree. Most all manufacturers use common brake pad sizes only the people that take cars to a dealer get screwed. Hell I saved a friend over a grand changing the brakes on his Mercedes for him.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

So you think it's going to cost 5k for a brake job? Hundreds of dollars for an oil change/service? This will be a Chevy and be affordable. It will be able to be serviced at a GM dealer like a pickup truck. You won't have to travel 100's of miles to a Ferrari dealership.
5K for a brake job on a Z07 Vette ? Yeah, that would be cheap ! Go price the carbon ceramic rotors. Performance costs $$$. That fact you might have to travel hundreds of miles to a chevy dealer is exactly what i'm saying here since not every Chevy dealer will qualify to service these cars with a certified Covette C8 tech. I use the oil change threads as a simple example, huge confusion over what oil to use and how to fill it and check it on a dry sump engine. You think it will be better with a more complex supercar? Yes, there are lots of Chevy dealers that can do it right, but more still that can't. Would you think if GM truststhe C8 to the bunch that can't get simple things correct?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:52 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

5K for a brake job on a Z07 Vette ? Yeah, that would be cheap ! Go price the carbon ceramic rotors. Performance costs $$$. That fact you might have to travel hundreds of miles to a chevy dealer is exactly what i'm saying here since not every Chevy dealer will qualify to service these cars with a certified Covette C8 tech. I use the oil change threads as a simple example, huge confusion over what oil to use and how to fill it and check it on a dry sump engine. You think it will be better with a more complex supercar? Yes, there are lots of Chevy dealers that can do it right, but more still that can't. Would you think if GM truststhe C8 to the bunch that can't get simple things correct?
I don't think this will be a supercar at all. It will be a rear mid engine corvette with regular rotors and brakes. If it was going to be a supercar it would be a Cadillac to support the higher price point.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:01 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

We've known how to service carbon ceramic brakes on Corvettes since 2009.

Old news 10 years ago.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

After reading multiple threads about dealers that cannot properly change the oil on a dry sump car, I begin to wonder how they can possibly service and mid engine supercar ?

Everything is going to be different on this car and more difficult to get at.
You will need special training to even change the oil perhaps ??

So the service manuals must be being written right now and very very soon, the first teaching techs will be getting ready to train the dealer techs. This will be costly and only a limited few dealer will qualify to service this car. If you thought you had trouble getting good service before, you'll have to drive 100+ miles to a dealer that can service a ME.
I guess they'll be sworn to secrecy but those guys will be the BEST(?) source for info about the ME tricky for them but..........
Old 03-26-2018, 10:09 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

I don't think this will be a supercar at all. It will be a rear mid engine corvette with regular rotors and brakes. If it was going to be a supercar it would be a Cadillac to support the higher price point.
Right and CADILLAC sells so many "supercars"
Old 03-26-2018, 10:12 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Shouldn't be any confusion use MOBIL 1
Old 03-26-2018, 10:13 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rgregory

My 2010 Tahoe past 178,000 miles the other day. It has had no maintenance besides oil, Trans fluid and plugs and plug Wires in that time. No check engine lights either. So GM can make a car that doesn’t need much service.
One in a million
Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Many ME cars have removable inner fenders. Once removed (5 minutes) the entire side of the engine, transaxle, <radiators or coolers> are exposed for easy <eye level> access and service.

This is vastly better than having to crawl up on top of a FE car and reach down into the engine bay (especially with all the covers involved nowadays.) It is also better than access from underneath reaching up into the engine bay (with hot fluids dropping out.)
Some Ferrari models have to have the entire engine removed before they can work on it
Old 03-26-2018, 11:01 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
I guess they'll be sworn to secrecy but those guys will be the BEST(?) source for info about the ME tricky for them but..........
That's a good point, if they have not been to training, then the training should already be scheduled... we'll have to ask some corvette techs at the bigger dealers. "have you been scheduled to go to the C8 program yet?"
Old 03-26-2018, 11:07 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
Shouldn't be any confusion use MOBIL 1
Shouldn't be, but there was! Literally hundreds of posts of dealers who were putting in their bulk Dexos, semi-synthetics into these cars. Many owners had to bring in GM service bulletins to dealers so they wouldn't have to argue with them about which oil to use. And lots of posts on how the oil levels on the dry sump cars, were never done properly. An oil change is a relatively simple task, and yets many many issues...
I do hope the maintenance aspects were engineered in, but i can guarantee you that without restricting service to those dealers that have a clue, we will see all kinds of servicing nightmares.

Get notified of new replies

To So who is going to service this new beast ?

Old 03-26-2018, 11:31 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Shouldn't be, but there was! Literally hundreds of posts of dealers who were putting in their bulk Dexos, semi-synthetics into these cars. Many owners had to bring in GM service bulletins to dealers so they wouldn't have to argue with them about which oil to use. And lots of posts on how the oil levels on the dry sump cars, were never done properly. An oil change is a relatively simple task, and yets many many issues...
I do hope the maintenance aspects were engineered in, but i can guarantee you that without restricting service to those dealers that have a clue, we will see all kinds of servicing nightmares.
When I purchased my C6 Z06(first Corvette available with a dry sump engine) in July 2008, we had already read on this forum about clueless dealers screwing up Z06's while just doing a simple scheduled maintenance job of changing the oil.

I decided right then, that a dealer would never change the oil in my Z06. It's been nearly ten years of me doing the oil changes on my Z06(as well as my other three cars) and I haven't screwed it up yet.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:42 AM
sylvester66
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette Tech

Originally Posted by elegant
I have an outstanding Corvette Tech who has never once let me down. Besides his love of vehicles and his 30 years of experience, he has over the years cultivated relationships with the special ”internal help line” GM has for its Tech’s. So if he is not positive of what needs to be done to fix my Corvette, instead of his wasting time trying to figure out those unusual things (on my nickel), he doesn’t have an ego and instead calls the help line and they together figure out the cause of my Corvette issue and its most efficient solution.

True, along the way, I “fired” two Chevy dealerships for their incompetence. Then I got smart many years ago talked to lots of Corvette owners in our area and found one person they all raved about, e.g., my current Tech.

We do not neccsarily go to the closest restaurant to us, the closest doctor, nor the closest financial advisor, yet it never stops to amaze my how lazy car owners are when selecting their “car doctor.” We need to do our part in selecting a great GM Corvette Tech. They are out there.
Read your message and am wondering were you take your corvette. I live in Seattle and not really found a dealership that I am comfortable with,
Thank You
Scott
Old 03-27-2018, 04:12 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The beauty of buying a GM product is that for the most part costs or rather hours of labor for service are held in check from the get go.

Most service will be done with the engine in place yet when the more serious services need to be accomplished the rear subframe drop will be organized and easy.

I'll imagine four hours and four bolts...(kidding but it will be organized and properly communicated to GM world class techs )

Figure an extra five hundred for major services to drop the engine when needed...

Purchasing the GMEPP warranty for extended ownership will prove a smart choice but I always feel the cost of GMEPP makes its purchase a non decision...

Ymmv

Quick Reply: So who is going to service this new beast ?