Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ME Engine Musings and other Whispers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:31 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Personally I believe the Cadillac version will fail miserably and Cadillac should concentrate on cuvs..

Enough with the Cadillac cars already and that includes rear mid engine halo vehicles.

The escala super sedan can do that and not sell in any numbers since everyone wants cuvs...lol or ev s...or ev cuv s..

Two doors and even four door coupes and sedans are yesterday's news..

Now it's Porsche macan s and jaguar I pace ev s...

Mid rear engine sports cars are with exception (like the iconic corvette sports car brand) are no longer desired or fashionable...their life cycles are a year at best....maybe two which doesn't pay for the development dollars invested..

I hope there is a dct , a manual and no 10 speed automatic torque converter for the 500 hp LT1 standard corvette...

The twin turbo motors are cool but I don't want the cost associated with purchase or maintaince, I like the small ohv 6.2 liter v8...I'm not a fan of complexity, weight and cost not to mention cost to repair Dohc engines etc..

GM builds the ohv v8 s for its trucks and they don't mess around with durability of the engines..

I love that about corvettes...I'll do the dct as it's one area I'd like to own...but TT Dohc ? I don't need or want that complexity ..

Besides Dohc is an older technology...
Have a rough St. Patrick's Day?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:49 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Have a rough St. Patrick's Day?
No actually not.. I had a good time ...
Old 03-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts
Default New zerv cad leak

Originally Posted by ZERV
3 Flavors, LT1, 4.6TT & 5.4TT
LT1 will transition to N/A Dohc at some point down the line

DCT only Made by TREMEC

Current ZL-1 10 speed is potentially being evaluated for trans-axle re-config
What’s everybody see here?
Old 03-18-2018, 05:46 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by ronstar
what’s everybody see here?
awd.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:36 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Having read posts by two members and also seeing the prediction in the Markit Engine Forecast that the 2020 ME will come in an OHC V8, and two TT, DOHC versions, I am thinking “not so fast.”

Reason: As we have agreed, cooling an ME is even harder than a FE. And GM has its work cut out for its to develop a ME itself, with all of it already known changes. Know to consider that they would working on three different power plants with their small staff.

Personally, I highly doubt it. Maybe two power plants over the first two years, but just do not think adding in a third makes “work load” sense.”
Old 03-18-2018, 09:12 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
No reason why a front engine C8 can't have a DOHC TT engine. Mercedes has no problem doing so with their AMG GT front engine sports car. And it also has a DCT(and it's a real DCT).

Using a DCT in both the Mid engine Vette and a front engine C8 would lower costs of the DCT due to economies of scale.

The hood line is lower on the AMG GT than on the C7 Z06 and especially the C7 ZR1.
Based on GM's frame rail design, and the height of GM blocks, they don't fit. Try swapping a DOHC GM V6 into a Corvette. OR measure the hood to block height differences in a Camaro between a V8 and a V6. Or compare a C5 or C6 to an XLR in terms of hood height. That car had a Northstar DOHC V8. It is a fact that to get the Northstar into the XLR even with the raised hood involved reducing its output due to the supercharger pulley having to change to fit. Also remember that was all before European pedestrian standards (which the new ZR1 does not meet). The regular Stingray however does meet those standards (albeit barely).

Mercedes uses a different architecture, it's not even a valid comparison and superfluous information to the discussion. You know this. Stop trying to start an argument which you refuse to bring data to. I've given you my data above, if you choose to not accept it, that's your problem not mine. Could GM redesign the frame rails, sure, will they, they haven't since the C5, so my bet there would be not going to happen.

I mean, c'mon man really, give it a rest.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:15 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
Agree, there have been absolutely been no rumblings of a caddy version within the automotive supply community. The only place the caddy comes up is the speculation on these boards.
Maybe not at the suppliers, but at some point people at GM were talking two cars internally. I don't think that's been the case since this program got green lighted almost 5 years ago. Business case wise I think they decided it was better to just do one car.

I thought De Nysschen would remake the discussion when he arrived. It appears so far he has not. I'm actually surprised he hasn't been able to.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:27 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronstar
What’s everybody see here?
According to ZERV it's a Tremec DCT -

The back of the transmission is different in this latest ZERV pic posted today, and pasted below...... the rearward ribbed case and dual chassis mounts on the tranny in the new pic weren't shown in the previous engine/chassis pic.

Same tranny with more of the rearward case shown, versus the previous pics? Or different tranny from the previous pics?
Attached Images   

Last edited by RedLS6; 03-18-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:27 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Maybe not at the suppliers, but at some point people at GM were talking two cars internally. I don't think that's been the case since this program got green lighted almost 5 years ago. Business case wise I think they decided it was better to just do one car.

I thought De Nysschen would remake the discussion when he arrived. It appears so far he has not. I'm actually surprised he hasn't been able to.

I was going with the Caddy part because all of the talk of it here and assuming it has some validity.

With the spec's you posted and price if there were two cars my guess would be the Caddy is first for all the reasons I mentioned.

If there is only one car then it'll be interesting to see how the dealers shake out.

I haven't really asked around either. I have quite a few suppliers as customers including 2 Tier 1's but in the end the car will be what the car will be.

If its 100K with 600hp and RWD I'd have to see how it optioned out. If its 100K with 600hp and AWD I'd be in line as soon as I could be.

I just cannot see them going after the customer they are going after with their dealerships. Big part of the reason why Cadillac made sense.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:30 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by elegant
Having read posts by two members and also seeing the prediction in the Markit Engine Forecast that the 2020 ME will come in an OHC V8, and two TT, DOHC versions, I am thinking “not so fast.”

Reason: As we have agreed, cooling an ME is even harder than a FE. And GM has its work cut out for its to develop a ME itself, with all of it already known changes. Know to consider that they would working on three different power plants with their small staff.

Personally, I highly doubt it. Maybe two power plants over the first two years, but just do not think adding in a third makes “work load” sense.”
I tend to agree.

Here in the CAD with the LT1 you might be looking at a "package protect" study.

This is done in development all the time. The ATS-V CAD started with an LT1 in it, and in fact remains package protected for it. It was at one point the original engine before they went to the V6 TT.

My guess, the ME was developed with the idea that "worst case" the LT1, LT4, and LT5 had to package into the vehicle. Since height isn't an issue (due to the natural design of an ME) they probably used the LT1 CAD to represent all those engines.

The only reason to ever put an LT in the ME would be to replace the base C8 car. This would mean financially it makes more sense to not refresh the C7 into an FE C8 and instead jump to the ME platform. With the C7 not ending until 2021, the decision to make a C8 doesn't need to be made until this year, as you need about 36 months to run a program (and the C8 wouldn't need to launch until July 2021 which is 39 months away).

There is officially a Y2XX FE program out there, but like the C7 (which was a 2012 until the financial melt down in 2008/9) things can always change. So if we don't see supplier sourcing in the next 3-6 months you have the answer.

Also to ZERV's comment, if the FE Corvette is eliminated there is no reason to keep any V8 OHV all the other cars and trucks can package protect a DOHC. The Corvette FE platform currently as designed is the only one which cannot.

The only problem is a 6.2L DOHC NA engine makes about as much power as a 4.4L TT engine, or somewhere in the 600 HP range. It doesn't make sense to do both. Personally I'd rather see a base HA engine making 600 HP instead of a TT. I'm a NA fan.

Race engines also don't make sense, as 5.5L is the NA limit while 4.0L is the TT or Supercharged limit. This is why the C7.R has a 5.5L V8.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:35 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedLS6
According to ZERV it's a Tremec DCT -

The back of the transmission is different in this latest ZERV pic posted today, and pasted below...... the rearward ribbed case and dual chassis mounts on the tranny in the new pic weren't shown in the previous engine/chassis pic.

Same tranny with more of the rearward case shown, versus the previous pics? Or different tranny from the previous pics?
I think there is a hybrid, if anything, the transmission is clearly pointed to the rear of the car, the only thing you'd add on to the back of a car would be an electric motor.

ZERVs comment on the 10 Speed is also interesting, I'd bet that was the high torque transmission, and the DCT is the "manual replacement" since it only has 7 gears.

I wonder if the 5.5L V8 has too much torque for the DCT. There is a reason the Dodge Demon doesn't have a manual, it's the over 800 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

I wonder if the 5.5L V8 has too much torque for the DCT. There is a reason the Dodge Demon doesn't have a manual, it's the over 800 ft-lbs of torque.
Doubt it. Even if it did, the Corvette team would limit torque through the lower gears just like Ferrari and McLaren. The 720S puts out damn near 800hp/650tq from the factory with a DCT.

The Demon doesn't have a manual because it doesn't make sense for a drag car. If the TR-6060 can handle the LT5, it can handle the Demon motor.

Last edited by Kappa; 03-18-2018 at 10:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kappa:
JerriVette (03-19-2018), Shaka (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:39 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Will Cadillac ever get a derivative of the rear mid engine corvette?

Never say never

Lack of Supplier whispering and gossip within earshot of corvette forum members notwithstanding of course
Old 03-19-2018, 08:34 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kappa
Doubt it. Even if it did, the Corvette team would limit torque through the lower gears just like Ferrari and McLaren. The 720S puts out damn near 800hp/650tq from the factory with a DCT.

The Demon doesn't have a manual because it doesn't make sense for a drag car. If the TR-6060 can handle the LT5, it can handle the Demon motor.
Actually your statement about the LT5 is false, the LT5 has less torque than the Demon, so it has no bearing in the discussion.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:35 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Will Cadillac ever get a derivative of the rear mid engine corvette?

Never say never

Lack of Supplier whispering and gossip within earshot of corvette forum members notwithstanding of course
I think you underestimate the knowledge that many people here have.
The following users liked this post:
Boiler_81 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Actually your statement about the LT5 is false, the LT5 has less torque than the Demon, so it has no bearing in the discussion.
A difference of 2lb-ft on regular 93(55lb-ft on 100 octane) is insignificant. So yes, I feel it does have bearing.

Again, the TR6060 would no problem handling either engine.

Last edited by Kappa; 03-19-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kappa
A difference of 2lb-ft on regular 93(55lb-ft on 100 octane) is insignificant. So yes, I feel it does have bearing.

Again, the TR6060 would no problem handling either engine.
Considering the Demon was designed to have that 100 octane performance, as an Engineer that isn't insignificant.

The car has 770 lb-ft of torque as designed.

Get notified of new replies

To ME Engine Musings and other Whispers

Old 03-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

I tend to agree.

Here in the CAD with the LT1 you might be looking at a "package protect" study.

This is done in development all the time. The ATS-V CAD started with an LT1 in it, and in fact remains package protected for it. It was at one point the original engine before they went to the V6 TT.

My guess, the ME was developed with the idea that "worst case" the LT1, LT4, and LT5 had to package into the vehicle. Since height isn't an issue (due to the natural design of an ME) they probably used the LT1 CAD to represent all those engines.

The only reason to ever put an LT in the ME would be to replace the base C8 car. This would mean financially it makes more sense to not refresh the C7 into an FE C8 and instead jump to the ME platform. With the C7 not ending until 2021, the decision to make a C8 doesn't need to be made until this year, as you need about 36 months to run a program (and the C8 wouldn't need to launch until July 2021 which is 39 months away).

There is officially a Y2XX FE program out there, but like the C7 (which was a 2012 until the financial melt down in 2008/9) things can always change. So if we don't see supplier sourcing in the next 3-6 months you have the answer.

Also to ZERV's comment, if the FE Corvette is eliminated there is no reason to keep any V8 OHV all the other cars and trucks can package protect a DOHC. The Corvette FE platform currently as designed is the only one which cannot.

The only problem is a 6.2L DOHC NA engine makes about as much power as a 4.4L TT engine, or somewhere in the 600 HP range. It doesn't make sense to do both. Personally I'd rather see a base HA engine making 600 HP instead of a TT. I'm a NA fan.

Race engines also don't make sense, as 5.5L is the NA limit while 4.0L is the TT or Supercharged limit. This is why the C7.R has a 5.5L V8.
What's 'package protect'? A OHV N/A engine is much cheaper to produce which is perfect for the entry level ME Vette. The C7R has the same engine as the GT1 C5R. FIA forced this 5,5 l formula. To this day it still has FIA forced handicaps.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

I think you underestimate the knowledge that many people here have.
I've been a member since the forum began in 1999...

Believe me I m not underestimating anyone.

Never say never although I agree a Cadillac rear mid engine is a waste of resources
Old 03-19-2018, 09:20 AM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERV
3 Flavors, LT1, 4.6TT & 5.4TT
LT1 will transition to N/A Dohc at some point down the line
4.4 TT, not 4.6TT? 5.5 TT, not 5.4 TT?

Last edited by ltomn; 03-19-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: ME Engine Musings and other Whispers