Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ME Engine Musings and other Whispers

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I've been a member since the forum began in 1999...

Believe me I m not underestimating anyone.

Never say never although I agree a Cadillac rear mid engine is a waste of resources
And I'd agree that they should do a Cadillac Mid-Engine, but as of right now it's unlikely. It's hard to keep a variant hidden, and the lack of chatter means one is unlikely.

It's sad in my opinion, I feel that while Zora wanted a Mid-Engine Corvette, the market is not there, and that a Cadillac if executed right would be much better. Corvette is an FE car, and changing that to me is just wrong.
The following users liked this post:
JustinStrife (03-24-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Based on GM's frame rail design, and the height of GM blocks, they don't fit. Try swapping a DOHC GM V6 into a Corvette. OR measure the hood to block height differences in a Camaro between a V8 and a V6. Or compare a C5 or C6 to an XLR in terms of hood height. That car had a Northstar DOHC V8. It is a fact that to get the Northstar into the XLR even with the raised hood involved reducing its output due to the supercharger pulley having to change to fit. Also remember that was all before European pedestrian standards (which the new ZR1 does not meet). The regular Stingray however does meet those standards (albeit barely).

Mercedes uses a different architecture, it's not even a valid comparison and superfluous information to the discussion. You know this. Stop trying to start an argument which you refuse to bring data to. I've given you my data above, if you choose to not accept it, that's your problem not mine. Could GM redesign the frame rails, sure, will they, they haven't since the C5, so my bet there would be not going to happen.

I mean, c'mon man really, give it a rest.
ME Ferraris and Lambos don't meet European Pedestrian standards. The ZR1 can't be sold in Europe for a different reason. The high hood restricts visibility. A side note, Tony Rudd had to compromise the LT5 boat anchor design because of the narrow engine compartment and also he had to use the same bore centers with the hope that the heads could be used on the iron block cars. He told them that the engine will be a piece of you know what which it was. The rails were the same width as the C5, 6 and 7. The P928 2 cam head design was compromised because of space. I've owned both of those cars. The engine boys at Chevrolet were pissed with management because the Lotus boys got the job of designing the LT5. They came up with the LT1 disaster and all the engines that followed with sever design flaws.
Here is a BMW 2800 with a C5 complete chassis. Fits like a glove.

Here is the 96 LT4 in my roadster.

Here is the 40lb heavier LS all aluminum boat anchor in the same space and same LT4 stock engine mounts. I had to move everything around including raising the hood to get it to fit. What a POS. I can't get it to run cool with a much larger radiator and tons more coolant and much more lubricant with a massive oil cooler. everything I learned about this futile exercise, I employed in my 600hp C6Z. I fixed the overheating problem.

I gotta laugh at the members who are drawing pretty pictures of the C8 without the slightest knowledge of airflow, aerodynamics and cooling theory along with everything else.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

And I'd agree that they should do a Cadillac Mid-Engine, but as of right now it's unlikely. It's hard to keep a variant hidden, and the lack of chatter means one is unlikely.

It's sad in my opinion, I feel that while Zora wanted a Mid-Engine Corvette, the market is not there, and that a Cadillac if executed right would be much better. Corvette is an FE car, and changing that to me is just wrong.
Oh God, let this be.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM
texel
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a thought: The new truck GM 6.2 L for 2019 uses Dynamic Skip Fire ( https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/02...mileage-by-15/ ) to get some rather large fuel saving. But if that could be combined with the Mahle TJI ( http://www.mahle-powertrain.com/en/e...-jet-ignition/ )the need for DOHC would go away ..

Cheers
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have always thought we will see a Calliac ME sports car, however with their plate full with 20+ new vehicles in the next three years — and as they have bigger issues right now, been thinking an all electric Cadillac ME will appear no sooner than 2022 model year, maybe even a year or two afterwards.

Last edited by elegant; 03-19-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

ME with 2 DOHC engine options, no manual transmission offered. Likely one of the DOHC V8's will arrive as high revving NA powerplant while the other arrives as the higher horsepower twin turbo option. GM has done a remarkable job disseminating disinformation and distracting us from what we likely expect to see at the official ME reveal. Cadillac's name on GM's top tier racing DPi prototypes only adds questionability as to their intentions of ME branding however I do believe the ME will be named Zora and have a look, performance and price unto itself. I expect the car to carry as much Corvette DNA as the Ford GT carry's Mustang DNA leaving a wide birth for marketing, branding and racing as GM's halo car. Although we've seen some beautiful renders, I suspect the ME will have unique front and rear fascias along with signature design features we've not seen yet. I could be wrong about everything..."we don't know what we don't know".

The C8 will remain front engine, LT powered, offer manual and auto transmissions, offer traditional Corvette designations (GS, ZO6, ZR1) and familiar interior level option packages to please the diverse Corvette demographic. The well proven FE design will evolve into a superior package delivering higher performance in all aspects. I'm fairly confident of this being close to what we see at C8 reveal, comprised of more calculation than speculation.
The following 2 users liked this post by NemesisC5:
JustinStrife (03-24-2018), RoketRdr (03-25-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:49 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
ME with 2 DOHC engine options, no manual transmission offered. Likely one of the DOHC V8's will arrive as high revving NA powerplant while the other arrives as the higher horsepower twin turbo option.

The C8 will remain front engine, LT powered, offer manual and auto transmissions, offer traditional Corvette designations (GS, ZO6, ZR1) and familiar interior level option packages to please the diverse Corvette demographic. The well proven FE design will evolve into a superior package delivering higher performance in all aspects. I'm fairly confident of this being close to what we see at C8 reveal, comprised of more calculation than speculation.
IMO, lots of accuracy there. I do disagree with this one sentence of yours however:
Originally Posted by NemesisC5
The well proven FE design will evolve into a superior package delivering higher performance in all aspects.
With the ME allowing the engine to be at least 3” inches closer to the pavement (vastly better CG) and the motor right above the rear wheels (better launch acceleration), it will be the ME which will be the superior performer over time — though it is acknowledged the roughly 500-600 HP, 1st year ME will not be able to out do the 755 HP ZR1 (but that too will pass when the 800 HP year 2 or 3 ZORA arrives).

Last edited by elegant; 03-19-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:34 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

I think he was saying the front engine would continue to improve from where it is today, offering better performance over time. The mid engine would be a step beyond that.

-T
Old 03-20-2018, 08:55 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by elegant
IMO, lots of accuracy there. I do disagree with this one sentence of yours however:

With the ME allowing the engine to be at least 3” inches closer to the pavement (vastly better CG) and the motor right above the rear wheels (better launch acceleration), it will be the ME which will be the superior performer over time — though it is acknowledged the roughly 500-600 HP, 1st year ME will not be able to out do the 755 HP ZR1 (but that too will pass when the 800 HP year 2 or 3 ZORA arrives).
What are you talking about. Love this forum. Impossible to get the engine 3" closer to the ground. It is already at it's lowest in the C7 anyway. Engine is in front of the axle. Ferrari BBs and TRs had the horizontally opposed 12 cylinder engines on top of the axle above the gearbox which made it the most dangerous car ever built.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:54 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

Sorry if my words confused, I had only a few minutes to get on CF to view/post and worded my post with a bit of possible ambiguity. I meant the FE C8 will be much improved/refined over FE C7. I agree 100% with your points regarding ME having inherently more design potential.

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
I think he was saying the front engine would continue to improve from where it is today, offering better performance over time. The mid engine would be a step beyond that.

-T
You sir are 100% correct.

Last edited by NemesisC5; 03-20-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:24 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

So here is the 4.2L

https://blog.caranddriver.com/deep-d...win-turbo-v-8/
Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Cars are getting so complex now that it will be and in some cases, already impossible to own beyond the warranty period. German cars, ha. There are 20 year old C5s and 10 year old C6s still racing cheap. You will never see a 20 year old C8 racing or doing track day events. Fixing a Caddy XLR's engine oil leak will total the car. You start by removing the rear end to get to the split oil pan gasket while the engine sits on the bench.
One saving grace will be that good 'ol bran new Chevy crate pushrod engines that will keep many an old car going for many years to come. A cast iron LSX engine will live for ever fed by an old/new electronic carb. How else will XLRs, P928s, P944s, 968s and BMW 850s stay alive? The crony capitalism inspired ethanol fuels require turbos to function properly even with only 10% of it in your gas tank.
There will be very few 10 year old cars on the road pretty soon, that means only new cars will be on the road and the end to used car market, like it is in Japan. The economies of scale will be that the energy costs of producing a car will be 600 times greater than the energy requirements operating that car in it's very
short life time. When the C8 is 10 years old, there will be twice the amount of cars sold per year in the world than sold now. Only the very rich will own 600 hp sports cars. The rest will drive some kind of a Trabant.

Last edited by Shaka; 03-22-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:17 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

So let me see, no manual in the ME, no NA high power unit in the C8? Oi, that's not good at all. So GM is going for low price mid engine look.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:42 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
So let me see, no manual in the ME, no NA high power unit in the C8? Oi, that's not good at all. So GM is going for low price mid engine look.
Corvette has always been the budget high-performer. Other than the slight chance they don't offer a n manual tranny, what's the problem exactly?
JerriVette (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 02:45 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Nothing to worry about, IMHO...the ME isn't going to be the 8th Gen Corvette.
LT1 Z51 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 02:46 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Corvette has always been the budget high-performer. Other than the slight chance they don't offer a n manual tranny, what's the problem exactly?
It's been more than that, the whole architecture is different with OHV, TVS, composite leafs, etc. ME seems to be more like the same architecture as the rest.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:16 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

It's been more than that, the whole architecture is different with OHV, TVS, composite leafs, etc. ME seems to be more like the same architecture as the rest.
Again, that is a problem because...??

Get notified of new replies

To ME Engine Musings and other Whispers

Old 03-23-2018, 07:14 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Again, that is a problem because...??
Sports cars are not commodity products. It's not like picking the cheapest cleaning rag. Product differentiation is what makes or breaks the offering in this segment. Even entry level sports cars like FS/BRZs and Miatas have a strong following and very unique identities.

Do you want Corvette to be to a sports car what Kia is to an economy car?
Old 03-23-2018, 11:18 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Nothing to worry about, IMHO...the ME isn't going to be the 8th Gen Corvette.
Yea, people still have not wrapped their brains around this one.

The C8 and the ME share a platform (remember that the space frame of the C7 has removable front and rear extrusions).

So while both are Y-Bodies, they are not the same car. Just as the XLR was also a Y-Body but not identical to a C5 or a C6.
The following 2 users liked this post by LT1 Z51:
elegant (03-26-2018), jagamajajaran (03-24-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 11:58 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'm guessing a production run eventually will lead to 1500 cadillac twin turbo v8s with wild styling and ultra lavish interiors for those that lean towards luxury at every detail.

Not for profit but rather brand halo effect.

I see this a possibility down the road.

Super soft touch, world class leading tech inside as well. Over the top interior luxury to differentiate from the c8 . Slightly higher weight and slightly softer ride. I would anticipate a torque converter 10 speed automatic tramsmission.

Quick Reply: ME Engine Musings and other Whispers