Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Details on likely C8 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 12:42 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks Jag. Good point. So if it were not called a Corvette, could be called a ZORA, i.e., after all, Zora Arkus Duntov’s first mid engine was the Chevrolet Engineering Research Vehicle in 1959.
Attached Images  

Last edited by elegant; 03-29-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:04 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I find it hard to believe 3000 built TT Dohc engines built in bowling green are going to be split between the various cadillacs and also the c8 corvette...

There isn't enough annual volume of the TT Dohc 4.2 engines...

Can't go into the corvette..

1500 units for Cadillac sedans and a thousand for cuv s while the rest used for the derivative of the mid engine corvette along with its traditional 10 speed torque converter automatic..

Just a guess on my part....

Probably some supplier sending over a short annual run of the 3000 blocks to give Cadillac an AMG like product...

Hop fully corvette doesn't get this nonsensical engine.

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-29-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:11 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Keep in mind that technically, he didn't say it would not be the engine for the ME. It's just definitely not going into a Corvette.
I know what you are implying, but not coming right out and saying it. That the 4.2L caddy engine will be in a mid engine Caddy, and not in a mid engine Corvette.

I think the argument is about the 4.2L Caddy engine going into the Corvette, which the boss of Caddy clearly said it is not.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-29-2018 at 08:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jagamajajaran (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 08:16 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
If you have ever driven a 911 type Porsche, then u understand how the steeply slopping hood(frunk)gives u a visual connection with the road u simply do not get w the Vette. The ME will bring that to the Corvette world. Coupled w the lower CG of the ME platform and overall more neutral balance, the ME Corvette will make the FE look like an anachronistic memory in the evolution of this American icon. It will make obvious how we have all been muscling that front end around all these years.
What is it about the ME platform that gives it a lower center of gravity over a FE platform?
Old 03-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

What if the ME is the caddy halo car? Maybe I'm the only one that thinks the c8 will not be ME and everyone is wrong.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:06 AM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

You have to remember things like the LSA vs LS9. It doesnt take much to get a different designation between engines, example LS1 vs LS6 ... It doesn't carry much weight to say it's not going into the corvette when all they have to do is change a camshaft profile, manifold, or turbocharger size to give it a different designation.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:32 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Chicago1
What if the ME is the caddy halo car? Maybe I'm the only one that thinks the c8 will not be ME and everyone is wrong.
You're not the only one. Go back over my posts the last year and a half or so and you'll see me say the same thing repeatedly. What I'm convinced of is that the 2020 ME is not the 8th Gen Corvette. That said, I'm not convinced as to which name the ME will wear... Cadillac, Chevrolet, Corvette, Zora, or something else.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:18 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Cadillac’s all electric mid engine sports car might be coming, but not for two to three more years, as they are now aggressively shoring up major product holes in their current portfolio. The 2020 ME Corvette will be out at least one, probably two years earlier than the Cadillac’s — that is if the Cadillac’s comes out at all.

Cadillac is now filling out its CUV line, then has other holes to fill, and has announced 21 new products in the next three years, including its halo Escala in 2021 — which could even have a 5.5L up-sizing of the 4.2L announced two days ago.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:14 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Cadillac needs to get their investment in bowling green back...

Cadillacs budget to become more successful makes what GM invests in corvettes look like chump change...

Remember a good portion of the c8 and even the hot v TT v8 from Cadillac were designed prior to the GM bankruptcy and the costs for research and design were cast aside...with the bankruptcy...
Old 03-29-2018, 02:17 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Keep in mind that technically, he didn't say it would not be the engine for the ME. It's just definitely not going into a Corvette.
Yes Jag, you're correct. That would lead us back to the up and down rumor that the ME is a Cadillac. Look, I've got nothing against Cadillac, in fact I've already told my wife the purchase of our last Lexus was a mistake, we should've bought the Caddy. But when it comes to sports cars, Cadillac's recent past performance is dismal at best. Even their last attempt at a high performance CUV/station wagon failed to take hold. Only the CTS V sedan has had some success. Does GM want to put their halo high performance car in the hands of a division with a proven track record that their customers won't buy one? I know GM is trying to boost Cadillac sales, but I just don't see spending all that development money on a division that doesn't deliver in this area.
Not only would putting the ME in Cadillac be a mistake for the ME, but it would hurt Corvette. IMHO, if they do this, Mary Barra needs to dust off her resume.

Last edited by roadbike56; 03-29-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by elegant
Cadillac’s all electric mid engine sports car might be coming, but not for two to three more years, as they are now aggressively shoring up major product holes in their current portfolio. The 2020 ME Corvette will be out at least one, probably two years earlier than the Cadillac’s — that is if the Cadillac’s comes out at all.

Cadillac is now filling out its CUV line, then has other holes to fill, and has announced 21 new products in the next three years, including its halo Escala in 2021 — which could even have a 5.5L up-sizing of the 4.2L announced two days ago.
And what would the bore diameter and the crankshaft stroke be for your magical 5.5L that will be a derivative of the 4.2L engine?
Old 03-29-2018, 02:54 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

I prefer the ease of getting parts that are shared with the rest of the Chevy lineup..

Low number production of 3000 units as stated for the 4.2 TT v8 are better left to the Germans...

Over the lifetime of the vehicle where parts become scarce is a royal pain in the butt...

That's why I'm not a fan of exotics...who needs that nonsense.

I'm sure there will be offshoots that land in GM s trucks and that would make for a nice high output motor for corvettes if need be..

I'll still take the 6.2 ohv engine but I'm sure some variants of the hot v Cadillac will appear over time

All depends what happens to GMs pickup truck powerplants..

Ford went to TT v6 s for its pickup lineup so a v8 might not be needed...

Relegating the ttv8 to low volume high cost status for Cadillac escalas and maybe a torque converter A10 TT hot v v8 for its variant of the rear mid engine platform built in bowling green..

Nice ways to differiate the brands on a single platform.

We might even see aluminum sheet metal for the Cadillac..

The xlr and xlr v were chastised for their panel gaps because of the composite body panels need for expansion etc.

These are qualities corvette owners don't really care about...so it might be a way again to create two distinct vehicles off one platform.

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-29-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:58 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

You're not the only one. Go back over my posts the last year and a half or so and you'll see me say the same thing repeatedly. What I'm convinced of is that the 2020 ME is not the 8th Gen Corvette. That said, I'm not convinced as to which name the ME will wear... Cadillac, Chevrolet, Corvette, Zora, or something else.
I thought someone on the forum here saw it and they did a model based on what he saw so who knows.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I prefer the ease of getting parts that are shared with the rest of the Chevy lineup..

Low number production of 3000 units as stated for the 4.2 TT v8 are better left to the Germans...

Over the lifetime of the vehicle where parts become scarce is a royal pain in the butt...

That's why I'm not a fan of exotics...who needs that nonsense.

I'm sure there will be offshoots that land in GM s trucks and that would make for a nice high output motor for corvettes if need be..

I'll still take the 6.2 ohv engine but I'm sure some variants of the hot v Cadillac will appear over time

All depends what happens to GMs pickup truck powerplants..

Ford went to TT v6 s for its pickup lineup so a v8 might not be needed...

Relegating the ttv8 to low volume high cost status for Cadillac escalas and maybe a torque converter A10 TT hot v v8 for its variant of the rear mid engine platform built in bowling green..

Nice ways to differiate the brands on a single platform.

We might even see aluminum sheet metal for the Cadillac..

The xlr and xlr v were chastised for their panel gaps because of the composite body panels need for expansion etc.

These are qualities corvette owners don't really care about...so it might be a way again to create two distinct vehicles off one platform.
Cadillac just announced the plans for the CT6's use of the 4.2L engine. I'm willing to bet that the 3,000 figure is the starting number of those engines . Since Cadillac has also said they have a **** load of new products in the pipeline, it stands to reason that the 4.2L engine will also find it's way into other Cadillac vehicles in the future. SUV, crossovers other sedans, etc. Hell, maybe even a sports car with a Cadillac crest on the hood instead of a cross flag emblem.

We have no idea what the demand will be for the 4.2L engine if it does happen to show up in a half dozen new products that could just have a lot higher production volume than the CT6.

Maybe, just maybe, Cadillac is trying to wean itself off Chevrolet sourced engines to better position themselves to compete with the Germans.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-29-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Shaka (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 06:05 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Supposedly Cadillac has a new product for release every six months for quite a long time..

I'm sure your right Joe...the separate engine has been requested by JDN to differiate these vehicles from other GM brands.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
A few things we want to remember.

*The 4.2L is the smaller sibling to the 5.5L — which is also a 32V, DOHC, TT, V8 and the latter which could develop up to “an estimated 850 HP” (source: Markit Engine Forecast);

* ZORA is not coming until 2021 or 2022 — at which time a comparison of ZORA and the ZR1 would be warranted — though for the reasons below, it might not take until ZORA arrives for this to be a great competition;

* The engine in a ME is roughly 2” closer to the pavement, e.g, a much lower center of gravity than a FE with consequent better handling;

* The engine in a ME is roughly located right over the rear wheels, i.e., giving much greater traction coming out of a corner than a front engine/rear wheel drive;

* As noted in today CT6 press release, the 4.2L weighs less than the 6.2L. Couple this with probable other weight reductions in the ME, we could get 4.2 L, 2020 ME Corvette weighing perhaps 100-150 pounds less than a FE C7.

Put all five factors together, and sorry all FE lovers (and I am one), the ME will be, by time ZORA arrives, be more competitive in the world of performance sports cars.
I hope I'm alive when these models show up. Matter of fact I hope I'm alive when then FIRST MODEL shows up
Old 03-31-2018, 12:00 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default 1-Year! ;)

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
I hope I'm alive when these models show up. Matter of fact I hope I'm alive when then FIRST MODEL shows up
C8 OHV Z51(comparison #s), and C8.R OHV, minimum; Electric cars have me a minimalist on motors. Autonomousness and the 720s's aero/ venting has me backing off, period. All bets are off!

Get notified of new replies

To Details on likely C8 engine

Old 03-31-2018, 07:07 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 155 Posts
Default C8 ME Mfg where?

I have been told by a reliable source from the Tonawanda Engine Plant.... that the power plant is currently being assembled there. Seems to be slowly leaking out as the excitement grows ...and curiosity continues...
source has always been reliable in past with different projects that have sourced at this location.

Last edited by trumanjd1; 03-31-2018 at 07:08 PM.
JerriVette (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 11:03 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Cadillac needs to get their investment in bowling green back...

Cadillacs budget to become more successful makes what GM invests in corvettes look like chump change...

Remember a good portion of the c8 and even the hot v TT v8 from Cadillac were designed prior to the GM bankruptcy and the costs for research and design were cast aside...with the bankruptcy...
I 100% believe this is correct but I don't think they threw the C8 design out. At least not completely. I was just thinking about this last week. I remember the piece about GM having an internal competition for designing the C7. This was in late 2012 or early 2013 I think. It seemed odd to me at the time since we knew the C6 was becoming long in the tooth, sales wise, and the C7 should have been a design lock by then.

If you go back to some of Ed Welburns' interviews, from when he retired almost two years ago, he seemed to already know and be excited for the C8 over his own baby.

Last edited by jma242; 03-31-2018 at 11:03 PM.
JerriVette (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 12:11 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts
Default GM DOHC V-8/10 Engine Plan

Built in bowling green KY at the corvette plant.

Hand assembled 3000 units

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...autonews-daily
Actually 3000 Cadillac DOHC 4.2L TT's engines for the CT6 V-Sport model in 2019 sounds about right.

2020 is another year.....and production of GM DOHC 4.2L TT's may be more like 17,000-20,000, depending on what platforms this engine finds its way into. It could also be built in Tonawanda, once the automated processing is worked out.

Has anyone besides me figured out that a V-10 version of this engine would displace about 5.5L ????
JerriVette (04-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Details on likely C8 engine