Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 4.2L, 2020 Corvette ME’s Motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 02:01 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
IF the ME has auto stop for any of its engines, it will be very easily defeatable. Tadge dislikes it intensely, and said earlier that if he has his way, the Corvette will be the last Chevy product to have it.
We now have a video (with sound!) of one of the test cars idling while stopped. So if it did have an auto stop/start feature it was defeatable in that car at least.

Last edited by MikeG37; 06-07-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:51 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I doubt that Tadge was "pushing hard" for AFM, but the higher ups said "we need improved fuel economy". The "higher ups" always get their way. Tadge said that fuel economy is extremely important for the Corvette's future.

If the "higher ups" tell Tadge that "stop/start" is needed for fuel economy, I believe that "start/stop" will be on the next generation Corvette.

Personally, I don't want either AFM or start/stop on the next generation Corvette.
I honestly haven't noticed any issues with AFM - on my trip home from Bowling Green to St. Louis in April, we averaged about 80 mph and 28.6 mpg. The car was in V4 mode most of the time.

WRT Start/Stop - on my Volvo it's a total PITA and it scares my wife every time it kicks in. Fortunately there is a defeat switch for it right by the gear selector - you'd be surprised how fast the "off" reflex becomes second nature.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:53 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Tadge said he does not like stop start on a Corvette, and while he never said “never,” he did say the Corvette would be the last GM product to have it.

Let’s hope he gets his way and it never shows up on our Corvettes!
I remember that interview. Tadge said the thing that bugs him most with stop/start is the engine note...that it is there and then it's gone. I remember him saying: "You would hate it"!!!!!
Old 06-07-2018, 05:03 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

I see that when Aston Martin wanted a V8 they didn't go to GM for a N/A OHV. They went to Mercedes and bought the 4.0L TT HOT-V V8. They also saved 253 pounds over the V12 version of the Aston Martin.
Mercedes Benz owns 5% of Aston Martin. That MAY have something to do with Aston's choice of powerplant and infotainment system, etc....
Old 06-07-2018, 05:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
I honestly haven't noticed any issues with AFM - on my trip home from Bowling Green to St. Louis in April, we averaged about 80 mph and 28.6 mpg. The car was in V4 mode most of the time.

WRT Start/Stop - on my Volvo it's a total PITA and it scares my wife every time it kicks in. Fortunately there is a defeat switch for it right by the gear selector - you'd be surprised how fast the "off" reflex becomes second nature.
The only GM vehicle with AFM that I've driven is my uncle's 5.3L A6 GMC pickup, and it seem to work great to me. Don't know how it affected fuel economy though. I could never feel when it was changing modes.

On 3,500 mile road trip we took, a friends 2015 Z06 A8 averaged 24.0 for that trip. He wasn't hot ******* it and going into boost mode all the time. I averaged 29.2 on the same trip, driving the same as he was. He said the AFM only went into V4 mode when he went downhill. He was in eco the entire trip

On another road trip I noticed I was averaging 35 MPG at 74 MPH. I radioed the 2016 Z51 A8 behind me to see what he was averaging. He said 35 MPG. He was also running in eco. No idea what he would have been running without AFM, but my non AFM equipped Z06 was getting the exact same MPG, and I have a higher Cd, wider tires, more displacement, and more horsepower, with almost the same overall gearing. I was running slightly taller overall gearing(1.71 vs his 1.77).

I don't like the AFM in the Corvette because it added weight(on the system itself and more importantly they had to go from an aluminum torque tube to a steel one. On the Z06, they went from a steel torque tube used in the base C7, to a carbon fiber one to save weight, but at a much higher cost), restricted engine RPM, and more stuff to go wrong. They also had to go to a different camshaft profile because of the heavier AFM lifters.

Personally, I doubt that overall, it improves fuel economy that much. Maybe 5% when it's in V4 mode vs when it's in V8 mode, but how often is it in V4 mode? Like I posted earlier, my friend's Z06 only went into V4 when he was going downhill and he let off the gas. I noticed that the AFM was discontinued on the C7 ZR1 even though the engine RPM was not increased. I don't know, but maybe the ZR1 has a more aggressive camshaft profile, that wasn't working well with the heavier AFM lifters, even though the maximum engine speed remains the same.

When you compare what people were getting real world driving with the C6, the fuel mileage improvement on the C7 really hasn't improved that much. Especially, when you look at ALL the factors that were changed on the C7 to improve fuel economy over the previous generation. VVT, DI with higher compression rato, AFM, additional gears and higher gearing. etc.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-07-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Mercedes Benz owns 5% of Aston Martin. That MAY have something to do with Aston's choice of powerplant and infotainment system, etc....
It may have, or they may have felt that the more prestigious Mercedes engine would sell better to their customers than the much cheaper GM OHV engine. If their customers wanted to go cheap, then they most likely would buy a Corvette in the first place instead of an Aston Martin.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-07-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:33 PM
nikic6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I agree. I still hope stop/start isn't included on the ME, though.
I have a 2017 Porsche with stop-start. It can be defeated but it does not bother me. The engine starts so quickly that it is not a problem. Also, if the AC is on, it defeats the stop start.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:14 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I remember that interview. Tadge said the thing that bugs him most with stop/start is the engine note...that it is there and then it's gone. I remember him saying: "You would hate it"!!!!!
For once, I think he's right.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:15 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

It may have, or they may have felt that the more prestigious Mercedes engine would sell better to their customers than the much cheaper GM OHV engine. If their customers wanted to go cheap, then they most likely would buy a Corvette in the first place instead of an Aston Martin.
OK Joe, I'll remove the "May" since the sarcasm was lost on you.
Aston Martin USED the 4L M-B TT V8 BECAUSE Mercedes Benz OWNS 5% of Aston Martin. The same reason Aston Martin USED M-B infotainment system and other various bits and pieces.
Good for them, saves them money to put in places that are more important in a sports car.

I'm VERY certain that the possibility of a SBC being used in an Aston Martin NEVER came up (at Aston), I'm not sure how it came up here other than just making up some bullshit to glorify Joe's beloved Mercedes Benz.
But then again, the previous gen Aston Martin V12 was 2 FORD V6's mated together (since FORD owned them at the time). So, before we get all carried away with Aston Martin's concern for their customer's egos, keep that in mind.

You amaze me. How in the world did you come up with this crap????
Maybe THIS was the conversation at A-M....
Nigel: "Hey David, what V8 do you want to use in the new Vantage?"
David: "I don't know, how about the small block Chevy?"
Nigel: "Nah, that'll **** off Mercedes"

Last edited by jimmyb; 06-07-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:32 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Aston Martin USED the 4L M-B TT V8.
This makes me a bit sad they are putting in another manufacturer's engine.
Although it is true they have been using Ford-derived engines for a long time, it's still unfortunate.
I understand this is an economic decision, but....

BTW, I had a newer MB SLK AMG pass me the other day and it made the most god awful exhaust sound I have ever heard from a car.
I could tell it was a turbo and it was horrible, just horrible.
The thought this assault on the ears could actually come from an incredibly beautiful Aston makes me want to a couple drink a bottles of cheap bourbon in 15 minutes.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:50 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
This makes me a bit sad they are putting in another manufacturer's engine.
Although it is true they have been using Ford-derived engines for a long time, it's still unfortunate.
I understand this is an economic decision, but....

BTW, I had a newer MB SLK AMG pass me the other day and it made the most god awful exhaust sound I have ever heard from a car.
I could tell it was a turbo and it was horrible, just horrible.
The thought this assault on the ears could actually come from an incredibly beautiful Aston makes me want to a couple drink a bottles of cheap bourbon in 15 minutes.
The best sound in the world is a naturally aspirated or blown v8. Everything else (v10, v12, anything turbo). is 2nd place. 4cyl and v6 is awful, absolutely awful and should not be in any car.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:11 AM
nlneilson
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't be shy, tell us what you really think.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:39 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Bump,
The best sound in the world is a naturally aspirated V8.

Last edited by pietro c7; 06-08-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:53 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NY09C6
The best sound in the world is a naturally aspirated or blown v8. Everything else (v10, v12, anything turbo). is 2nd place. 4cyl and v6 is awful, absolutely awful and should not be in any car.
No argument with your observations, but I have to say a good NA in-line 6 is a close second and runs smooth as a turbine. This new turbo I-6 Mercedes just debuted is supposed to be the Cat’s Pajamas ! The sound of the NA Ferrari V-12’s are pretty special also - kind of like ripping silk !
Old 06-08-2018, 01:03 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

OK, let the arguments begin :

Old 06-08-2018, 03:39 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

My list of best sounding production cars(NOT IN ORDER):
  • Ferrari 812 Superfast
  • 2019 Jaguar F-Type SVR
  • Lexus LFA
  • Porsche Carrera GT
  • Lamborghini Adventador SV
  • Apollo IE
  • Pagani Zonda R
  • Mercedes SLS AMG Black Series
  • C7 ZR1
  • Challenger SRT Demon
Old 06-08-2018, 03:57 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quinten33
My list of best sounding production cars(NOT IN ORDER):
  • Ferrari 812 Superfast
  • 2019 Jaguar F-Type SVR
  • Lexus LFA
  • Porsche Carrera GT
  • Lamborghini Adventador SV
  • Apollo IE
  • Pagani Zonda R
  • Mercedes SLS AMG Black Series
  • C7 ZR1
  • Challenger SRT Demon
i noticed the new Ford GT is not on your list.......🤔. Of course neither is my John Deere lawn tractor, LOL !

Get notified of new replies

To The 4.2L, 2020 Corvette ME’s Motor

Old 06-08-2018, 03:58 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Binger, your lawn tractor sounds better than the Ford GT!
Old 06-08-2018, 04:14 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

13 NA HP and no turbo lag, either !
Old 06-08-2018, 10:50 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
13 NA HP and no turbo lag, either !
My JD has 23hp you want to run them?