Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 4.2L, 2020 Corvette ME’s Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Johnny Lieberman from Motor Trend and a few published reports stated that the 4.2L DOHC TT V8 for this new CT6 model is brand exclusive, or that it was designed by Cadillac and will not be used by any other GM brand.

Last edited by Quinten33; 03-21-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 PM
K2500Z71
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
Johnny Lieberman from Motor Trend and a few published reports stated that the 4.2L DOHC TT V8 for this new CT6 model is brand exclusive, or that it was designed by Cadillac and will not be used by any other GM brand.
This makes one wonder if perhaps the mid engine car isn't the C8 but instead is a new Cadillac supercar.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Me First! ;)

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
NASCAR: Camaro!

Le Mans: Corvette!

Cadillac GT ME: AWS, DOHC TT, Active Aero, Super Sports

Corvette Z51 ME: OHV, Fixed Wing, SS Cups

Originally Posted by K2500Z71
This makes one wonder if perhaps the mid engine car isn't the C8 but instead is a new Cadillac supercar.
Works for me!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-21-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:33 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

CADILLAC HAS A NEW V8: MEET THE NORTHSTAR 2.0 (WITH 4.2 LITERS)
Two turbochargers and 550 hp will propel the upcoming Cadillac CT6 V-Sport
MARCH 21, 2018

There’s a new Cadillac V-Sport coming to town, so the company has a new V8. It has less displacement than a small block from its neighbors at Chevrolet at 4.2 liters but uses two turbochargers to pump up the output to 550 hp at 5,700 rpm and tractor-pull-worthy 627 lb-ft of torque between 3,200 and 4,000 rpm. Given the size and strength of the engine, it’s no surprise that this V8 will drink premium gasoline.

Cadillac engineers started with an aluminum-alloy block and bored 86-millimeter-diameter holes into it and gave it enough depth for a 90.2-millimeter stroke. Iron liners are used to withstand the forces. Both the connecting rods and the crankshaft are forged steel, the later held in place with six-bolt mains. This 90-degree V engine has a compression ratio of 9.8:1.

Up top, more aluminum-alloy was used for the heads. Cadillac employed a “hot-V” setup, meaning the exhaust exits the cylinders in the valley of the V, and fresh air and fuel come outside of it. This allows for both the turbochargers and catalytic converters to lie in the V as well, aiding in quick warmup to operating temperature. Fuel injection is direct into the cylinder, spraying at 5,076 psi of pressure. Unlike your Chevy, this is a dual overhead cam engine with four valves per cylinder and fancy valve timing.

The turbochargers are twin-scroll, utilize an electric waste-gate, and spin as fast as 170,000 rpm. To keep the air cool, Cadillac added a 20 kilowatt charge air cooling system for the intake air. It’s a coolant-to-air system that keeps the air as dense as possible. Speaking of cool, this V8 has a 10-quart oil-pan, specified to hold 0W40 weight motor oil. And the pan is designed to leave room for half-shafts on the front axle.

The new Cadillac V-Sport will be the flagship sedan CT6 V-Sport and it will come standard with all-wheel-drive. In between the axles and motor will sit a version of the Ford/Chevrolet co-designed 10-speed automatic transmission called the 10L-90. It’s similar to the gearbox found in the Camaro ZL1. In the CT6, the 10L-90 will have a ratio spread of 7.39, which means high revs off-the-line launch and a most likely sub-2,000 rpm freeway cruising speed. And also eight-gears neatly spaced in-between.

A detuned version of this engine will be available in the non-V-Sport CT6 with different software and exhaust plumbing, which reduces the peak output to 500 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque. But both will come with what Cadillac promises is that distinctive V8 character. And they’re probably right, but you’ll have to wait to the first half of 2019 to find out.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/technolo...#ixzz5ARLAIEfI

To keep the air cool, Cadillac added a 20 kilowatt charge air cooling system for the intake air. It’s a coolant-to-air system that keeps the air as dense as possible.

Using refrigerant to cool intake charge not specifically stated but implied via utilization of 20kw charge air cooling system = reduction of emissions, improved fuel economy and increased power.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:23 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Seems as if the 10 speed torque converter automatic might make it into the corvette.

A little surprising.

Hard to imagine the corvette team will ignore this transmission is available from GM although a transaxle would be needed for the corvette so a dct possibility is not completely dead.

Guess we will find our for sure in about 8 months.
The following users liked this post:
XC6VETTE (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:54 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by K2500Z71
Ah yes, this poor, beaten till death horse that keeps arising. Please note:

1) c7pimp told us explicitedly that the car has a Corvette emblem on its hood;
2) While other media has chosen to label the 4.2L DOHC, 32V, TT motor as exclusive to Cadillac, in the official Media.Cadillac press release today, Cadillac did not use that word.

And while it might have a part number (P/N) exclusive to Cadillac, that fact that it has a P/N that is unique to Cadillac could be nothing more than its top lid being stamped, “Cadillac.” The identical motor with a “Corvette” stamped top lid will also have its exclusive P/N — and it will live 100% within Corvette engine bays.

So we will have two “exclusive 4.2L, DOHC, 32 V, TT motors,” yet their identical internals of both will reside within two different GM brands.[/B]

The cost to develop such a new motor is astronomical, and so it will be, like many other GM major parts, such the A6, the A8, the 6.2L, etc., shared across appropriate and different GM products/brands.

Today’s announcement does nothing to dissuade that the 2020 ME will have the same, or to be totally accurate 99.9% the same, motor.

Last edited by elegant; 03-22-2018 at 12:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
DGXR (03-23-2018), Larshelt (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Tadge said he does not like stop start on a Corvette, and while he never said “never,” he did say the Corvette would be the last GM product to have it.

Let’s hope he gets his way and it never shows up on our Corvettes!
elegant: Can you cite where/when Tadge wrote or said this? Not doubting your recollection here, but I'd like to have a direct reference to statements regarding this important issue.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:35 AM
elegant
Safety Car

A memory test...

Originally Posted by GM Authority
While even Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter isn’t a fan of the idea because it’s “more mass and more cost,” the C7 Corvette program may eventually implement start/stop technology, if government mandates push hard enough.

“It is very disconcerting to have your lively, great-sounding engine stall every time you come to a stop. The real customer value, the real environmental value is zero. So you are hauling around all that stuff to get a better label value (for mpg on the window sticker). It wasn’t worth it,” he said in an Edmunds report that came from last week’s 2014 Corvette Stingray launch drive.

Sadly, Juechter continued with saying that “customers will have to put up with changes from what they traditionally expected in order to get better economy.”
Originally Posted by Edmunds.com: When Tadge was interviewed right after the C7 was revealed
MONTEREY, California — General Motors considered stop-start technology for the redesigned but opted against it, deciding it would hurt the car's image. But GM may be forced to make it standard later this decade.

"It is more mass and more cost," Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer, told Edmunds. "It is very disconcerting to have your lively, great-sounding engine stall every time you come to a stop. The real customer value, the real environmental value is zero. So you are hauling around all that stuff to get a better label value (for mpg on the window sticker). It wasn't worth it."

Juechter was interviewed during a 2014 Corvette Stingray press event here.

The highway fuel economy for the 2014 Corvette Stingray has increased nearly 12 percent, compared with the 2013 model. Equipped with the standard 6.2-liter V8 and new seven-speed manual transmission, the new car is rated at 17 mpg city/29 mpg highway, according to the EPA.

In comparison, the 2013 Corvette with the 6.2-liter V8 and six-speed manual transmission is rated at 16 mpg city/ 26 mpg highway.

What General Motors might be required to do in several years to boost the Corvette Stingray's fuel economy has not been determined. Federal regulations mandate each automaker to increase the vehicle fuel economy of their fleet 4 percent annually through 2025.

Asked if it is inevitable that stop-start technology may be standard on a future Corvette Stingray, Juechter said "it may be.
I am not finding one last article in which Tadge said, that if he had anything to do with it, the Corvette would be the last GM model to have start stop tech.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
235265283... (03-22-2018), Telepierre (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 03:12 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Which you have to press each start-up? Or can you press once and it's off until you turn it on?
The latter wouldn't be bad.
Sadly, it isn't the latter.
I have to remember to hit the button every time I fire it up (something that is hard to do when ya get old ).

I've recently driven 3 makes with this device - Ford, BMW and Mini - and damn what a ridiculous pos. And the annoying operation was on brand new vehicles. Can't wait to see how annoying it'll get with the accumulation of miles.
I'm sure the manufacturers came up with this tech as a way to show the Feds they are REALLY trying to be conscientious about increasing MPG.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:57 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Good job pulling all the sources to make a rather strong case the new engine is bound for the new ME Corvette.

I think; horsepower numbers at hand, this last bit invalidates my theory Corvette was going with two sport 2 seat platforms "ala Porsche" with the ME being "inferior" to the FE.

JerryVette (I believe) has a very good counterargument tid bid: 3000 engines a year enough for Caddies and Corvettes...?
Old 03-22-2018, 07:28 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Sure is! ;)

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I have to remember to hit the button every time I fire it up (something that is hard to do when ya get old ).

I'm sure the manufacturers came up with this tech as a way to show the Feds they are REALLY trying to be conscientious about increasing MPG.
This engine is multitudes relatively more efficient than the LT4 let alone the LT5! And adding boost (If possible with 170K RPM) would improve that for free. Power transisters and turbos are God's gift! And they look to be adding less mass, as well.

But

The C8/C8R only really needs the chassis frame right away!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-22-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:25 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Both DOHC's will come from this Engine Family. This is the base ME Engine.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:39 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Telepierre
JerryVette (I believe) has a very good counterargument tid bid: 3000 engines a year enough for Caddies and Corvettes...?
Reading the Cadillac’s official press release, it does say 3,000 in quantity. It says nothing about Corvettes. So if hypothetically, there were 19,000, 32 V, DOHC, TT, V8’s going into the 2020 ME Corvette and an additional 3,000 of the 4.2L’s going into the Cadillac, Cadillac's press would be right (that is the only media source I know is correct), and there would still be plenty of motors for the Corvette.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:41 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Further while some of the documentation says the Engine is more compact than the small block V8, this does't take into account the exhaust piping.

If you removed an LT4 from a current Z06, this motor would physically fit, until you tried to run the exhaust and realized your only option would be to come off the front of the engine (or go over the sides) not out the back as required.

This engine could fit, if the hood were lengthened (or the height profile was changed). I'd still be concerned with heat dissipation though.

Interesting thing to note, a Hot-V design means there will not be a NA or supercharged version of this engine family, it will be exclusively turbocharged.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:41 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

New firing order: The 4.2’s firing order is 1-5-4-3-6-8-7-2, which is different.

Will be interesting to see where red line is given this engine is under-square.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Both DOHC's will come from this Engine Family. This is the base ME Engine.
The CAD drawings clearly show two different engines.....

1) a NA engine that is not a Hot-V design with swept up tubular exhaust manifolds on the outside of the heads with the CATS mounted on the outside.

2) a TT engine that clearly is not a Hot-V design, as the turbo's are mounted low and outside of the block.
The following users liked this post:
CPhelps (03-23-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 10:43 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sunsalem

Start/Stop has to be "auto-enabled" to qualify for the MPG increase on the sticker.

There are ways to disable it, but most of them involve finding what the inhibits are and spoofing the CAN message (or changing another module to think that it doesn't have the feature and always request it be turned on).

And Engine tune will also be able to delete it, like DoD/AFM.

Get notified of new replies

To The 4.2L, 2020 Corvette ME’s Motor

Old 03-22-2018, 10:46 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The CAD drawings clearly show two different engines.....

1) a NA engine that is not a Hot-V design with swept up tubular exhaust manifolds on the outside of the heads with the CATS mounted on the outside.

2) a TT engine that clearly is not a Hot-V design, as the turbo's are mounted low and outside of the block.
I'm of the opinion, Engine 1 got cancelled. That was supposed to be the NA Flat Plane Crank based on the 6.2L LT1 made DOHC. Doens't mean it got deleted from CAD.

Engine 2, is from this family. The heads could be differnet to not do a hot V (it's possible to support both). Why GM would do that? I'm not sure, it makes sense to keep the design as is.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:53 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default What!? ;)

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
I'm of the opinion, Engine 1 got cancelled. That was supposed to be the NA Flat Plane Crank based on the 6.2L LT1 made DOHC. Doens't mean it got deleted from CAD.

Engine 2, is from this family. The heads could be differnet to not do a hot V (it's possible to support both). Why GM would do that? I'm not sure, it makes sense to keep the design as is.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/what-is-a-hot-v-turbo-engine-layout-and-what-benefits-does-it-have/

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/watch-out-m5-cadillac-ct6-v-sport-gets-550bhp-v8

It sure as Hell is!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-22-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:54 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Gad, I hope the Caddy engine auto stop/start isn't a feature that finds its way into the C8.

Love the forged internals, though.
If it does, it's because they had no choice. Not like the engineers WANT to do it...they do what's necessary to build the car to a level of performance. I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact engineers don't enjoy putting CAGS functions in and doing cylinder deactivation...it's a necessary compromise to build something beasty with all the regulation bs.

Quick Reply: The 4.2L, 2020 Corvette ME’s Motor