Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 4.2L, 2020 Corvette ME’s Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:38 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Excuse me!

Originally Posted by RJ-92
Where did you find a CTS-V 2.0 Convertible?
It was the just the frame, I guess. The SC LS came later, and in the Camaro too!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_XLR

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-23-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:44 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Don't get me started on the Nissan engine in McLaren cars. That port injection is also there because McLaren/Ricardo doesn't want to spend the money to develop DI. Much easier to raise displacement and add boost.
The more I think about it, the weirder it seems to me.
OTOH, it's a helluva an engine.

I guess in some ways it's like calling the Gen 5 Viper engine a "truck" engine.
I might be in the minority here but rather than have a V8 DOHC turbo that is the same as you find all across the market as a midgrade offering I rather have the OHV. At least it's special and more powerful.
I suspect it has a lot to do with CAFE.
Also, a chance to refine small high-performance turbos for the inevitable Corvette hybrid.
Originally Posted by RJ-92
Where did you find a CTS-V 2.0 Convertible?
Although I owned an XLR and a CTS-V 2.0, It took me a moment to figure out what this is.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:52 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default True! Explained- Anyway more significantly! ;)

'TORQUE CAN GET IT DONE!'

https://youtu.be/zWZZ5arRDZw

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-23-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:01 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

This talk about fuel economy, with start-stop and cylinder deactivation... I thought the CAFE regulation looked at a brand's average fuel economy? Meaning, other Chevrolet models are included in the brand's overall average fuel economy. (How many Silverados, Equinox and Malibus are they selling?) If correct, this means the Corvette, a relatively low-production model, could easily go without the fuel miser nannies. These features could be installed as options for certain buyers, but certainly should not be forced into every Corvette. The big production models are the obvious place for bringing down the average fuel economy.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 AM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
That constant available torque will do better than you push rod junkies seem to know!
Yeap just run it hard and replace that 6 foot long timing chain every couple years
Old 03-23-2018, 11:26 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Know-No-know! ;)

Originally Posted by WKM
Yeap vjust run it hard and replace that 6 foot long timing chain every couple years
We are not spinning up 9000 RPM here, it's not a Ferrari - get it!

If it has seamless transitions!?

Originally Posted by DGXR
This talk about fuel economy, with start-stop and cylinder deactivation... I thought the CAFE regulation looked at a brand's average fuel economy? Meaning, other Chevrolet models are included in the brand's overall average fuel economy. (How many Silverados, Equinox and Malibus are they selling?) If correct, this means the Corvette, a relatively low-production model, could easily go without the fuel miser nannies. These features could be installed as options for certain buyers, but certainly should not be forced into every Corvette. The big production models are the obvious place for bringing down the average fuel economy.
What F-ing difference does it make! If it works youse shouldn't be so cantankerous. Your dating yourselves!

But, please do have the old forged pistons, titanium rods, and that kind of stuff, if applicable in that 600HP ZO6 version!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-23-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:54 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Push rod junkie!

That minimalist AWD, AWS, A10, hot V 'V8' DOHC, and scroll TT....'at least' gets the jump on a ZO6 at the lights!

Simply (No AWD or AWS) in a ME(C8R) with cups, ZR1 aero, and autonomousness/start-stop!?(GT3 RS!)

HINT!?: They are bothering with the 500 HP!
GT3 still has AWS and EPS but in today's world where you have autonomous torque vectoring electric vehicles I think the manual GT3 is THE only fast purist choice (C7 is pretty close to it). People get bothered because it wins every face off in the mags, it should win it. The guys who write those things are enthusiasts after all.

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I suspect it has a lot to do with CAFE.
Also, a chance to refine small high-performance turbos for the inevitable Corvette hybrid.
Although I owned an XLR and a CTS-V 2.0, It took me a moment to figure out what this is.
Someone gets it. Yes, this engine is about fuel economy. For 90% of the driving what you have is a 2 liter naturally aspirated V4 with low valve lift and enough cam phasing to neuter power to the point you barely have enough.

You really do need a DOHC 5.5L turbo version to start competing with today's best pushrods if you leave aside fuel economy.

Hello folks, does anyone remember an LSA engine released by Caddy in 2009? Same specs as this engine that's newest greatest latest what everyone else already has. What's the difference? fuel economy.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:24 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Tadge said he does not like stop start on a Corvette, and while he never said “never,” he did say the Corvette would be the last GM product to have it.

Let’s hope he gets his way and it never shows up on our Corvettes!

When they go start/stop I'm going electric cars. 2019 it begins on new GMC trucks not sure if it switches off or not. If not going for a 2018 new one. **** on start/stop!
Old 03-23-2018, 02:26 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

We are not spinning up 9000 RPM here, it's not a Ferrari - get it!

If it has seamless transitions!?

What F-ing difference does it make! If it works youse shouldn't be so cantankerous. Your dating yourselves!

But, please do have the old forged pistons, titanium rods, and that kind of stuff, if applicable in that 600HP ZO6 version!
Well spoken famous tire kicker since 2002!
The following users liked this post:
RoketRdr (03-25-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:19 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default You're over here!? ;)

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Well spoken famous tire kicker since 2002!

I thought you were still busy trying to get that soul back!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-23-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:37 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Keeping things in perspective the new engine looks to be a great feature of the 2019 Cadillac CT6 V-Sport however rest assured a different more powerful engine will arrive in the ME. The two cars are completely different platforms with different purpose and personality.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:49 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I think it has a good chance of being in the Vette. Remember the last halo Caddy engine was the Northstar. Nothstar was used in Caddies and in Oldsmobiles. The torque of it will lend well to even the Escalades.

This is just the first iteration making good power and great torque. Increasing the airflow and moving that peak torque up 1000 rpm will do wonders for performance. Also it is small bore so it should be good for high revs.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:46 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Keeping things in perspective the new engine looks to be a great feature of the 2019 Cadillac CT6 V-Sport however rest assured a different more powerful engine will arrive in the ME. The two cars are completely different platforms with different purpose and personality.
Agreed. I see this sticking with the CT5, CT6, Escala, and Escalade. That's it.

The Corvette will have its own DOHC V8.

Last edited by Kappa; 03-23-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:49 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
I wish this was the case, but I don't think it is. In fact, the only thing in the above that's unarguably factual is that CAFE is of course the Corporate Average Fuel Economy.

The first depressing fact is that Tadge has said a number of times that Corvette doesn't get a bye on fuel economy,

The second depressing fact is that, if the C8 is a 2020 model year vehicle, and it has about a 45 ft^2 footprint (track x wheelbase) similar to C6 and C7, it needs to be certified with an average fuel economy of about 45 mpg if it's not going to be a drag on GM's CAFE. (This FE isn't exactly the sticker FE; search CAFE to get the details on this.)

Obviously, the C8, like the current C7, is going to be a drag to some extent on GMs CAFE. The problem is that GM needs to sell some Volts or (preferably) Bolts to offset each Corvette sale.

This is a guess and not a fact: GM beancounters monetize the per-vehicle cost of missing or exceeding a nameplate's CAFE target, and that cost is at least $1000/mpg.

Conclusion: Get ready for more things like CAGS and AFM, and reduced-displacement turbocharged engines is just a start.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Someone gets it. Yes, this engine is about fuel economy. For 90% of the driving what you have is a 2 liter naturally aspirated V4 with low valve lift and enough cam phasing to neuter power to the point you barely have enough.

You really do need a DOHC 5.5L turbo version to start competing with today's best pushrods if you leave aside fuel economy.

Hello folks, does anyone remember an LSA engine released by Caddy in 2009? Same specs as this engine that's newest greatest latest what everyone else already has. What's the difference? fuel economy.
Fuel economy, emissions, marketing, and refinement as well.

As good as the LTx engines are, I wouldn't call their NVH attenuation great by any means. This engine should be much better in that aspect.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:23 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default More and more!

GT3 still has AWS and EPS but in today's world where you have autonomous torque vectoring electric vehicles I think the manual GT3 is THE only fast purist choice (C7 is pretty close to it). People get bothered because it wins every face off in the mags, it should win it. The guys who write those things are enthusiasts after all.

They will be justifying you not buying an electric!

PDK is faster! A good auto is faster.

A 911 RWD needs AWS and all that other stuff.

A mid engine Corvette can travel lighter. CCB stability, MR, and the eLSD, add the A10, can make it work, but, the autonomous knowing of the track can make it fly.
Imagine truly being on rails. The center of the track being a programmed vector. Shift points, and g-forces - all programmed. GPS! Essentially you floor it and its limits copilot you. Easy, and of course Fast! It knows the track.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-23-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:21 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
Fuel economy, emissions, marketing, and refinement as well.

As good as the LTx engines are, I wouldn't call their NVH attenuation great by any means. This engine should be much better in that aspect.
The noise on DI engines and the fuel economy of a 6.2L OHV in the city can be quite terrible. As far as emissions go you can call it a cat killer! Even blew the welds on mine, maybe that's what Tadge has beefed up on the ZR1 according to his last post.

Get notified of new replies

To The 4.2L, 2020 Corvette ME’s Motor

Old 03-23-2018, 11:15 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
Agreed. I see this sticking with the CT5, CT6, Escala, and Escalade. That's it.

The Corvette will have its own DOHC V8.
Going to have to argue, as an engineer, that the will be related.

GM isn't going to develop two DOHC V8 engine families. There is no money in that. The ME V8's will be tangentially related to this engine. If the displacement is the some I'd expect most of the internals to be shared. If you can make a single block design that supports traditional and Hot-V type configurations, expect that.

Changing the heads and a few other parts makes sense. Engineering two totally incompatible V8's doesn't.

One thing is certain there will be larger displacement option for the ME. But whatever the 4.x sized engine is for the ME it will be related to this engine.

The only caveat to this, is that if it's not related to this engine, then it's a LT series based engine with DOHC, that's the only other option. You won't get 3 families total. Personally, I don't see a DOHC 6.2L as a base engine and the only other block option right now is the 5.3L. Both of those as DOHC engines would make massive power without turbos, and with turbos make even more.
The following 2 users liked this post by LT1 Z51:
elegant (03-24-2018), sunsalem (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 12:24 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

LT1 Z51, you are making lots of sense! The cost to develop the Cadillac’s motor has been beyond considerable — approaching, maybe exceeding $1B. And for a CT6 that will sell 3,000 units and probably another lesser number for the 2021+ Escala. No f’ing way (no financial way). GM is instead, like it has for other major products (A6, A8, LS engine family, LT motor family, etc), going to engineer/develop a base product and then use it across models and even brands.

While the Corvette 4+L, 32 V, DOHC, TT may well have no “hot V,” actual exhaust headers instead of the Cadillac’s manifolds, a different stamped top lid, and other external changes, I too believe almost all of its internal components will either be identical to, or scaleable from, the same part within Cadillac’s new announced motor.

Last edited by elegant; 03-24-2018 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Fix typo.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:37 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default More simply!? ;)

It already produces the kinds of numbers necessary to upgrade the base models. Don't need big displacement power when you have a boat load of gears! Efficient!

A billion dollars!? Really? They should be Shot! Lean manufacturing?

Easier just to redesign the Bimmer motor!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-24-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: The 4.2L, 2020 Corvette ME’s Motor