Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Think The M/E Car Will Have More Room Inside?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:41 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Yep, the better street car!

Originally Posted by JerryC5
I am sure that my wife and I will fit in a C8 convertible OK. All I want is the trunk space of my C6 convertible, so we can continue our 5-6000 mile multi week road trips. I don't care if the trunk is split between front and rear, as long as we can pack our stuff in there.
How'Bout!

Base, & Z51; FE

C8R, GS, ZO6, & ZR2; ME

Ultimately!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-01-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:54 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
I think I have read that the gas tank will be in a central tunnel, but that doesn't mean that it will have to be as wide and high as with the front engined car. The C4's frame was made of a lot of stamped steel pieces welded together and was inherently less stiff than the parts of subsequent cars. I'm just saying that the potential would exist to reduce the size of the tunnel, but we're arguing design details without any proof one way or the other. We should be finding out pretty soon.
Because of the angle, it's difficult to assess the width of the center tunnel(it looks like it may be narrower), but it sure has the height. It is the part that has the gold flange at the bottom, the bluish gray vertical stampings, and the purple horizontal cap.

Notice all the different colors. Each color identifies that part as a separate part, and there are a huge number of them that have to be welded together to make the frame.

The C5 and C6 frames were designed to minimize the number of individual metal stampings that had to be welded together by using two 15 foot long pieces of hydroformed tubing(started out being 6" in diameter for the C5 and C6) for the side rails, but with the C7's frame, they went back to a larger number of different metal stampings/castings that have to be welded together vs the C5 and C6. From the leaked CAD drawings(shown above), it appears that GM is continuing with the same idea of having a bunch of individual stampings/castings for the mid engine's frame, as they did with the C7, but even more so.

The C4's frame was designed with a small, non boxed center tunnel but with huge side rails(that gave the frame it's torsional strength and rigidity). They reversed that with the C5's design, and made the center tunnel large but most importantly, boxed the center tunnel with a large plate with 36 bolts, to give it the required torsional strength and rigidity. Have you ever tried to enter/exit a C4, and then compared that to a C5?

Here is the C7's frame. Which frame do you believe has the most individual parts that have to be welded together, the mid engine or the C4 or the C7? Also look at the size of the center tunnel and compare to the size of the center tunnel in the CAD drawing of the mid engine Corvette.

Not shown in the photo of the C7's frame above are the crossmember castings that also serve as the lower suspension mounts and engine cradle in the front, and the lower suspension mounts and transmission cradle in the rear, that are bolted to the frame at the marriage of the unibody and the drivetrain.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-01-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The C4 was supposed to be a T Top car until the director of Chevy Engineering at the time decided it needed to be a Targa like the Ferrari 308 shortly before the design was released. The design engineers said the change was too late in the process but that didn't change his mind. Once they removed the T Top style center roof connection the car became very flexible and they had to build up the side rails to keep it from twisting so much. That is why those side rails look like they were an afterthought. They didn't have time to go back and redesign the car.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:32 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

My biggest disappointment with what we've been calling the C8 is the continuation of the perimeter frame versus going with a central monocoque like most of the exotics have, if the information I have is correct. The only thing that I didn't like about the C4 entry was the tendency to knock my shin on the hard plastic protrusion of the outboard corner of the dash.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:39 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

My biggest disappointment with what we've been calling the C8 is the continuation of the perimeter frame versus going with a central monocoque like most of the exotics have, if the information I have is correct. The only thing that I didn't like about the C4 entry was the tendency to knock my shin on the hard plastic protrusion of the outboard corner of the dash.
You think that would be better with a CF monocoque? Have you seen how big the outer sills are of cars with a CF monocoque chassis? It would be great to keep weight even lower, but I don't think it helps getting in/out any bit.

Alfa 4C:

720S:

Last edited by NewYuriCity; 04-09-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:23 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thank you NewYuriCity. Good piece of information.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:07 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
Some of the recent photos make the wheelbase look huge. Im hoping for more leg room, are M/E cars usually more roomy inside?
Potentially somewhat more roomy for the 2 occupants, but nowhere to put your stuff. So you know, you'll buy this cool $80K-$125K sports car and then whack a Thule rack on top. That will be great.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:44 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
You think that would be better with a CF monocoque? Have you seen how big the outer sills are of cars with a CF monocoque chassis? It would be great to keep weight even lower, but I don't think it helps getting in/out any bit.

Alfa 4C:

720S:

Getting in and out are not my primary concern, but if that becomes a major consideration for designers then you can give up a little rigidity to account for that. They give up considerable rigidity just to have doors, but you pretty much have to have those. Having a separate metal frame is equivalent to having an airplane built with steel tubing and covered with fabric: it works but isn't state of the art.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:08 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Alfa 4C:

720S:
Well worth it. The stiffness of carbon tubs is way too desirable to care about ingress egress.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 04-10-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:58 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Getting in and out are not my primary concern, but if that becomes a major consideration for designers then you can give up a little rigidity to account for that. They give up considerable rigidity just to have doors, but you pretty much have to have those. Having a separate metal frame is equivalent to having an airplane built with steel tubing and covered with fabric: it works but isn't state of the art.
Based on this part of your original quote I thought you were referring to the ingress/egress:

The only thing that I didn't like about the C4 entry was the tendency to knock my shin on the hard plastic protrusion of the outboard corner of the dash.
But right now, although it'd be fantastic for the Corvette to have a carbon fiber tub I bet it is a bit too cost prohibitive; perhaps on a Z06/ZR1 model, similar to the aluminum frame used in the C6 Z06.

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Well worth it. The stiffness of carbon tubs is way too desirable to care about ingress egress.
I never cared about ingress/egress, was just responding to stevebz06. Though I have a feeling some owners would have even more difficulty getting in/out with that much of a door sill, I'm sure when the technology comes down in price the Corvette will one day have a carbon fiber monocoque.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

I remember reading about GM's research into reducing the cost of CF parts through automation. Maybe the C9 will finally benefit from this program.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:50 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I never cared about ingress/egress, was just responding to stevebz06. Though I have a feeling some owners would have even more difficulty getting in/out with that much of a door sill, I'm sure when the technology comes down in price the Corvette will one day have a carbon fiber monocoque.
As Gordon Murray would say, there are several kinds of carbon tubs. The next step for Corvette would be a hybrid carbon center with aluminum front and rear sections, likely a C9. It will be at least two more generations, likely C11 before Corvette would have a full carbon tub.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

And I think access/egress and ease of doing so is one of the primary concerns of owners and GM. Maybe not all owners, but enough to count, and be counted for some good reason. Corvette didn't go for three generations and 21 years from a difficult-to-enter C4 to the C5, 6 and 7 gen only to regress---and that is despite whatever exotic, lightweight materials are utilized. It could be possible to combine new design and materials to provide strength, good access and lighter weight. Let's hope so for the future.

Of course, there is a case to be made, however, if you want to downgrade the access/egress and that is if the company wants to sell cars in the hundreds or low thousands. jmo.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-15-2018)

Quick Reply: Do You Think The M/E Car Will Have More Room Inside?