Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Autoextremist says the C8 will be within $10,000 of the C7

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
No, neither the PBC nor the Plant will be open at all during the BASH. In fact, the Plant is only open this month and next for those who have purchased the $5,000 “build your own Z06/ZR1 motor,” and the only way that happens is that there is a separate, closed-off entrance through the Admin building.

The PBC itself is further separated from the Plant now in that all its windows are opaquely covered off on the Plant side of the window — so not peeking from inside the PBC no matter what attempts are made to see the “secret stuff” now going on within the Plant.
RATS !! I heard that some LT4/5 engine builders got a sneak peek at the Cadillac 4.2L TT V-8 at the PBC. I'd love to see one and ask a few questions....oh well.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:06 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Corvette FE Hardtop Option

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
The only thing I miss about my Mercedes SL was the folding hardtop. It was very well engineered and the car really did feel like a true hardtop coupe. Too bad it was such a POS.....I'd still have it if it weren't.
You know that what GM really wants to do is get every Corvette fan with the means to buy BOTH a FE and a ME variant. How to do that ? - make one a great GT and one a great sports car. I just seems to me that Ferrari has the right approach with the 488 and the Portofino, which, not coincidently, are the two best selling Ferrari's ever made, (I am including the California T as the Portofino's predecessor).

A win-win for Harlan Charles is to have every Corvette buyer stew over which one he really wants more. A powered hardtop option on the FE is a great way to do that and keep it relevant.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:12 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

While I wish Delorenzo's guess was right, I think he's a good bit too light. Anything under $85,000 will be amazing.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:17 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I understand your point and am not saying you are wrong. But the cayman/ boxster is a female car and the market for females interested in sports cars is rather small.
Oh, what the hell!?!
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (04-05-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 10:26 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
While I wish Delorenzo's guess was right, I think he's a good bit too light. Anything under $85,000 will be amazing.
Are you guys glad I called in and asked the question?

Www.autoline.tv is a great automotive channel on various topics...

Can't say what the end result will be with the rear mid engine corvette but it's been fun speculating.

I don't know what the average price is of the current corvette but I would suggest it's a safe bet many of you have been correct and the average price will increase 10 grand...

The c8 will be amazing no matter what..

Always fun sharing with you guys....whether we agree or disagree..

Can't wait for the official release come next January..

Although it's been said the next Detroit show is going to be in October and then again in January...

We might see the c8 sooner than we first imagined.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:53 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Delorenzo's history of Automotive forecasting is riddled with unproven and wrong statements. He's also a legend in his own mind. They are going to add the mid engined car as the model Zora which was trademark a few years ago. They would be committing automotive suicide if they were to get rid of the 4 models of front engined Vette's. Doubling the size of the Bowling Green Plant to slightly over one million square feet of surface area was not built to shut down their 65 year old iconic front engined car line of four models. We will have five models moving forward. Take that to the bank !! I've got it at 130k-150k starting base price by whats on the list of projected components that we have gleaned from Zerv's thread. See this thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Jees, in 2015 I said that there would never be a mid engined Corvette in this forum somewhere. I said the C7 would just be a rebodied C6. I like the guy. His conjecture is amusing. Educated guesses require some courage. We all attempt to predict the future. I'm really worried about the ME Vette. It's gotta do a lot better than the Z06.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:08 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
Oh, what the hell!?!
Every 718 that I have seen so far has been driven by a guy or at least Jason Camisa
Rapid Fred (04-05-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:33 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Well, if GM has decided to go ME with the Corvette, I'm willing to bet they have more proof and facts than you do for your statement.
Maybe, but here in Corvette-crazy Florida, where plenty of retirees can and do buy plenty of Corvettes, I am surprised at how many have commented that they will not buy a ME Corvette. Granted, this is a tiny population sample, but it is indicative of the risk GM could be taking if they eliminate production of the FE Corvette.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:42 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
You know that what GM really wants to do is get every Corvette fan with the means to buy BOTH a FE and a ME variant. How to do that ? - make one a great GT and one a great sports car. I just seems to me that Ferrari has the right approach with the 488 and the Portofino, which, not coincidently, are the two best selling Ferrari's ever made, (I am including the California T as the Portofino's predecessor).

A win-win for Harlan Charles is to have every Corvette buyer stew over which one he really wants more. A powered hardtop option on the FE is a great way to do that and keep it relevant.
My Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG had a retractable hardtop. Never again. Incredibly complex, poor reliability. Those hardtops are notorious for getting stuck/freezing, spewing hydraulic fluid from the top's front struts into the passenger compartment, and also spewing hydraulic fluid from the top's rear struts into the trunk. No more retractable hardtops for me!
Old 04-04-2018, 02:43 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteBrent
Maybe, but here in Corvette-crazy Florida, where plenty of retirees can and do buy plenty of Corvettes, I am surprised at how many have commented that they will not buy a ME Corvette. Granted, this is a tiny population sample, but it is indicative of the risk GM could be taking if they eliminate production of the FE Corvette.
They stopped making 8 track players too. Time marches on.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:30 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

The only thing I miss about my Mercedes SL was the folding hardtop. It was very well engineered and the car really did feel like a true hardtop coupe. Too bad it was such a POS.....I'd still have it if it weren't.
I hope GM avoids a retractable hardtop, because the hardtop on my POS Mercedes SL55 AMG would get stuck, and they are notorious for leaking hydraulic top struts. Thankfully, I did all of America a big favor by selling that piece of garbage masquerading as a car to a man who shipped the car to Greece.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:44 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

If you are familiar with logic and the various types of fallacies, you realize your statement is a non sequitur. Nobody here is bemoaning the end of 8 track player production, but real people with real money can choose not to buy the ME. In no way does "time marching on" guarantee that Corvette loyalists will purchase the "latest and greatest". The ash heap of history is littered with "new, improved" products that were rejected by customers. I hope the future is bright for Corvettes, and I hope the C8 will be a success. I just think a smart hedge would be to produce both the FE and the ME, at least as long as they both sell in adequate volumes.
The following 4 users liked this post by CorvetteBrent:
AORoads (04-25-2018), JoesC5 (04-04-2018), JustinStrife (04-05-2018), Shaka (04-05-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 04:54 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The first VW Beetle was imported to the US in 1949. Even though the VW Beetle was a HOT item for many years in the US, VW stopped making rear engine VW's.

Time marches on.

VW started making front engine cars(and they still do) to replace their NEW idea of a rear mounted car.

GM tried the same thing with the Corvair in 1960. Do you know what happened to the Corvair while the remainder of GM's products remained front engine?

Sometimes change is not really a good change.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-04-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:10 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The first VW Beetle was imported to the US in 1949. Even though the VW Beetle was a HOT item for many years in the US, VW stopped making rear engine VW's.

Time marches on.

VW started making front engine cars(and they still do) to replace their NEW idea of a rear mounted car.

GM tried the same thing with the Corvair in 1960. Do you know what happened to the Corvair while the remainder of GM's products remained front engine?

Sometimes change is not really a good change.
Time and especially technology have advanced significantly since those times. Who would have thought even 10 years ago what you can do with a cell phone? Automotive tech has advanced every bit as far during that same time. This should be damned interesting to say the least.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:30 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteBrent
Your friends in Florida and others like us are not the market segment GM is looking at for the future of Corvette. We have served our purpose.
sunsalem (04-04-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:23 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
It'll be interesting to say the least if the front engine c7 stands to sell alongside the rear mid engine vehicle.

I'd be surprised if anyone plunks down the coin for a new front engine corvette when the c8 rear mid engine corvette hits the showroom..

Maybe you guys are right and there is a market for both.

I don't believe I'd chose a front mid engine corvette if the c8 rear mid engine is available..for a few dollars more.,
I'm not sure when $10k+- became "a few dollars," but realistically after the dealer fees etc and perhaps even a markup, it's not simply going to be $10k over the base C7 at the dealer. I would argue for the majority, a $10k+ price bump isn't as easy to cough up as you're leading on.

To add to that, I find it incredibly difficult to accept Chevy dropping the FE altogether, in favor of the ME. Over the years the price of the Vette, for obvious reasons has increased, so if the ME starts at $10k over Stingray, it's only going to get more expensive as they expand the range adding the hi-po models. Then the average Vette will be $20k shy of $100k....that's a mortgage for some and though people shouldn't be spending that if they're not financially ready, part of Corvette's success is being affordable to the everyday American.

Originally Posted by skank
Delorenzo's history of Automotive forecasting is riddled with unproven and wrong statements. He's also a legend in his own mind. They are going to add the mid engined car as the model Zora which was trademark a few years ago. They would be committing automotive suicide if they were to get rid of the 4 models of front engined Vette's. Doubling the size of the Bowling Green Plant to slightly over one million square feet of surface area was not built to shut down their 65 year old iconic front engined car line of four models. We will have five models moving forward. Take that to the bank !! I've got it at 130k-150k starting base price by whats on the list of projected components that we have gleaned from Zerv's thread. See this thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
I agree with your assessment 100%. Part of Corvette's success is the price in which the everyday American can buy it. That is not to say the ME will be so expensive no one will buy it, but even at "a measly $10k over Stingray," that means it will only continue to increase from there as they expand the range and intro the hi-po models. To do away with the most affordable option given their financial record in recent memory, is as you said, "automotive suicide." I really do believe they will continue the FE alongside the ME model, at least until the ME proves to be a huge success and if not then Chevy will follow in Porsche's footsteps with a single model available in several options.

$1 on GM making both. No way they ditch the FE when they release the ME and only offer the one.
The following 2 users liked this post by nvusgt:
JerriVette (04-05-2018), JustinStrife (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 04:05 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by nvusgt
I'm not sure when $10k+- became "a few dollars," but realistically after the dealer fees etc and perhaps even a markup, it's not simply going to be $10k over the base C7 at the dealer. I would argue for the majority, a $10k+ price bump isn't as easy to cough up as you're leading on.

To add to that, I find it incredibly difficult to accept Chevy dropping the FE altogether, in favor of the ME. Over the years the price of the Vette, for obvious reasons has increased, so if the ME starts at $10k over Stingray, it's only going to get more expensive as they expand the range adding the hi-po models. Then the average Vette will be $20k shy of $100k....that's a mortgage for some and though people shouldn't be spending that if they're not financially ready, part of Corvette's success is being affordable to the everyday American.

I agree with your assessment 100%. Part of Corvette's success is the price in which the everyday American can buy it. That is not to say the ME will be so expensive no one will buy it, but even at "a measly $10k over Stingray," that means it will only continue to increase from there as they expand the range and intro the hi-po models. To do away with the most affordable option given their financial record in recent memory, is as you said, "automotive suicide." I really do believe they will continue the FE alongside the ME model, at least until the ME proves to be a huge success and if not then Chevy will follow in Porsche's footsteps with a single model available in several options.

$1 on GM making both. No way they ditch the FE when they release the ME and only offer the one.

This forum cracks me up. When I first said I thought the price of the c8 would be within five grand of the c7 I was attacked for suggesting that's a ridiculous price for a mid engine sports car and that it had to cost more.

Then I ask Peter D and he says figure ten grand more for a c8 and now I'm being criticized for suggesting ten grands not too bad...

lol guys non existent of us know...

All we can say at the end of the day the market will decide what the price of the c8 will be.

Besides the current c7 ranges from 55 to 150 grand...

Get notified of new replies

To The Autoextremist says the C8 will be within $10,000 of the C7

Old 04-05-2018, 04:27 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
This forum cracks me up. When I first said I thought the price of the c8 would be within five grand of the c7 I was attacked for suggesting that's a ridiculous price for a mid engine sports car and that it had to cost more.

Then I ask Peter D and he says figure ten grand more for a c8 and now I'm being criticized for suggesting ten grands not too bad...

lol guys non existent of us know...

All we can say at the end of the day the market will decide what the price of the c8 will be.

Besides the current c7 ranges from 55 to 150 grand...
Hey man, others may have said that to you regarding price but I personally have not once replied to you, nor have I said the C8 must somehow be more expensive than the C7 purely based on a ME platform. As a matter of fact I was arguing that it would be far less than the exaggerated $200k price tag some people are rather adamant about simply because it's ME, and that's ridiculous.

I simply made an observation that $10k regardless of model isn't exactly pennies to some. If you want to lump people together, then find them and quote them, however don't assume because I made a point regarding your $10k comment, that I'm somehow in the same boat as the others.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Lots of angst developing in this thread. Unless a highly unlikely price leak, at least 282 more days until we know the answer.

It could be that the first to place their orders ME’s next spring still do not know the price (GM has done that a time or two for Corvette pricing in the fairly recent past), though I do not think that will occur this time.

Last edited by elegant; 04-05-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by nvusgt
Hey man, others may have said that to you regarding price but I personally have not once replied to you, nor have I said the C8 must somehow be more expensive than the C7 purely based on a ME platform. As a matter of fact I was arguing that it would be far less than the exaggerated $200k price tag some people are rather adamant about simply because it's ME, and that's ridiculous.

I simply made an observation that $10k regardless of model isn't exactly pennies to some. If you want to lump people together, then find them and quote them, however don't assume because I made a point regarding your $10k comment, that I'm somehow in the same boat as the others.
I agree ten grand isn't chump change and sorry if it somehow insulted you..

I was just fooling around...as I remembered the previous comments...

I do believe the market eventually sets the pricing after all the hoopla dies down the first year...

Quick Reply: The Autoextremist says the C8 will be within $10,000 of the C7