Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so much interest in mid-engine C8?

Old 04-09-2018, 09:40 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Well, they just revealed that Camaro refresh...don't think any FE Corvette folks will go in that direction...the Camaro folks aren't even liking it. Blows that theory out of the water...lol
What we are seeing today is a mid cycle refresh....and I agree it's not very attractive..

Probably causing GM to restyle the retro camaro even faster...

Full on restyle has to be coming...

As far as future GM product styling being good...? I'm out after seeing what GM designers did to the sixth gen camaro today...

Wow! I've never seen anything so bad...

Maybe its just the photographer?

All that said....I'm sure the rear mid engine corvette will have plenty of space in the two trunks...just buy soft luggage

Maybe GM will sell fitted luggage for all those who want hard luggage for their road trips...

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-09-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:24 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
What we are seeing today is a mid cycle refresh....and I agree it's not very attractive..

Probably causing GM to restyle the retro camaro even faster...

Full on restyle has to be coming...

As far as future GM product styling being good...? I'm out after seeing what GM designers did to the sixth gen camaro today...

Wow! I've never seen anything so bad...

Maybe its just the photographer?

All that said....I'm sure the rear mid engine corvette will have plenty of space in the two trunks...just buy soft luggage

Maybe GM will sell fitted luggage for all those who want hard luggage for their road trips...
The last Camaro refresh lasted two years. However, GM's hand was forced as that car was based on a Holden chassis. However, if speculation is correct from the engine report, that would be about the time the FE Corvette would end, if that's the plan. But then, given this new design the Camaro may not last that long.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-09-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 10:08 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. My wife and I took a look at this, and both said, “we like it.”
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2018, 10:26 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I don't think there is anything to dislike about it, but I don't think it even comes close to matching the looks of the Mustang.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:39 AM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
but I don't think it even comes close to matching the looks of the Mustang.
+1, It almost looks like GM knew the Corvette owners were mad at the added hp and attention they gave Camaros so now they made them uglier. haha

IF GM is going to have a 2020 FE that is "refreshed" it would be nice to know. No way in heck am I going to be able to swing 100K for a car.

Last edited by lostsoul; 04-10-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:15 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You need to read the SAE article about the new 1963 Corvette, that was partly written by Zora Arkus-Duntov.

Duntov was pretty excited about the 1963 Corvette and he explained why they did not choose a mid engine layout nor a rear transaxle layout for the 1963 Corvette.

As for the layout for the C5, Dave McLellan(chief engineer) and Chuck Jordan(Design vice-President) liked the mid engine layout, but Jim Perkins(Chevrolet General Manager) was hot for the front engine, rear transmission idea.

Guess who was the boss and who wasn't when it came down to mid engine vs front engine for the C5. The front engine, rear transmission was considered for the 1963 Corvette was deemed too expensive. As it was designed, the 1963 Corvette had a 47%/53% weight distribution and a 16.5" center of gravity. The C5/C6/C7 base car has a 51%/49% weight distribution with a 17.5" center of gravity.

As everyone knows, the front engine C5 was a huge success(lots of them made and a lots of money made for GM), and the C5 kept the Corvette from being scrapped. Four years into production, the C5 wasn't selling for 20% off MSRP as what has happened with the C7.
Hmmm! a lot has happened since then! That was only 55 years ago!
Old 04-10-2018, 11:26 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Yep! ;)

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Hmmm! a lot has happened since then! That was only 55 years ago!
He likes'um old, and mostly incapacitated. You know!
Old 04-11-2018, 12:36 AM
envisi0n91
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Because it's a reliable affordable ferrari :P

Originally Posted by 64modified
As the proud new owner of a C7Z and an avid GM customer for most of my life, I'm having a hard time understanding why so many folks appear to be interested in, and excited about, the possibility of a mid-engine American sports/muscle car (which is how I classify the Vette).

I simply can't imagine popping the hood of a Vette and finding a trunk where the engine is supposed to be! I gotta figure that such a car would be much more difficult to work on and I'm not looking forward to hearing or feeling the engine behind me.

So, aside from the possible benefit of better handling on the race track (which, realistically, includes a small percentage of us), why would any Vette owner want a FerrariVette? Why not just leave the Vette alone and buy a Ferrari instead?

For my part, I hope they always make a front-engine version of this awesome car! Seems to me it's already got a great following and does pretty well on the track as it is...
Old 04-12-2018, 02:37 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I cant afford a ferrari.. hence the c7 Grand sport I do track..

would have to be high revving, and a manual trans and mid engine to get me to switch
Old 04-12-2018, 06:15 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

OP, have you ever driven a mid engine car?? Its truly an awesome experience. I am very excited for this change. And worst case, the c7Z's become really cheap which I wouldn't be mad about either.
JerriVette (04-13-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I have been shopping pretty hard for my next sports car. I'm picky. I want open roof motoring of some sort. I want dealers available, air service prices, light weight, etc...

There really is no choice but a Corvette the way I see it.

The McLaren 570GT Spider is just too expensive, but even if I waited for a used one and broke the bank, you can't get them serviced and they are unreliable. No manual trans either. All that's a deal killer for me.

Lotus Evora400 used. Overpriced, not that fast, lame powertrain, poor reliability, etc...

Porsche 911s just don't go fast enough in the budget I have. I would love a GT3 though.

New NA Porsche Cayman (would not even consider the 4 cylinder turbo engine) is very pricey to buy, no deals, expensive to maintain. This would likely be my second choice and maybe my first if I had much more net worth.

A sea of used Lambos, Ferraris, etc.. All unreliable and not that fast for the money and issues. I'm not ego driven and prefer to fly under the radar so pulling up in one of these would be a bit embarrassing to me.

Out of the current options on the new/ lightly used market I am left with the C7GS as the car for me to own for my purposes. But it's not different enough from my modified C6, it's not a ME. But it's the fastest, most reliable, easy to service, affordable, etc... It's the easy choice. If I don't like the C8, a C7GS will be my next purchase and it'll get a NA 427 ci as soon as I get it home.

For me, this is why the ME C8 is so fascinating. I will be able to own a true supercar (my definition!), with a maintenance schedule and acquisition/ depreciation price that I can stomach. And the performance will be astounding! I hope it's light. I hope it's got a manual (but I'm learning to accept that it probably won't). I hope I can buy a nice new one for about $75K.
ArmchairArchitect (04-18-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 02:02 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I have been shopping pretty hard for my next sports car. I'm picky. I want open roof motoring of some sort. I want dealers available, air service prices, light weight, etc...

There really is no choice but a Corvette the way I see it.

The McLaren 570GT Spider is just too expensive, but even if I waited for a used one and broke the bank, you can't get them serviced and they are unreliable. No manual trans either. All that's a deal killer for me.

Lotus Evora400 used. Overpriced, not that fast, lame powertrain, poor reliability, etc...

Porsche 911s just don't go fast enough in the budget I have. I would love a GT3 though.

New NA Porsche Cayman (would not even consider the 4 cylinder turbo engine) is very pricey to buy, no deals, expensive to maintain. This would likely be my second choice and maybe my first if I had much more net worth.

A sea of used Lambos, Ferraris, etc.. All unreliable and not that fast for the money and issues. I'm not ego driven and prefer to fly under the radar so pulling up in one of these would be a bit embarrassing to me.

Out of the current options on the new/ lightly used market I am left with the C7GS as the car for me to own for my purposes. But it's not different enough from my modified C6, it's not a ME. But it's the fastest, most reliable, easy to service, affordable, etc... It's the easy choice. If I don't like the C8, a C7GS will be my next purchase and it'll get a NA 427 ci as soon as I get it home.

For me, this is why the ME C8 is so fascinating. I will be able to own a true supercar (my definition!), with a maintenance schedule and acquisition/ depreciation price that I can stomach. And the performance will be astounding! I hope it's light. I hope it's got a manual (but I'm learning to accept that it probably won't). I hope I can buy a nice new one for about $75K.
I don't know that a C7 would be more reliable than what you listed as unreliable. The redeeming feature of the C7 is that the warranty claims are approved easily but the car brakes down at a record rate. I would think the Evora and Lambos should be fairly close, I have no idea on the F cars.

Sometimes you have to get the slower car. You can either get a balanced well built car or a fast car that is sloppy. A used 6 cyl Cayman should be fast enough and more redeeming in terms of dynamics. When you have a budget you have to make hard choices.

Then there are running costs. If you do HPDEs you'll spend enough in tires, gas, and brakes on a C7 GS that you will effectively square up against a 100k Porsche in only a couple of years.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:08 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I don't know that a C7 would be more reliable than what you listed as unreliable. The redeeming feature of the C7 is that the warranty claims are approved easily but the car brakes down at a record rate. I would think the Evora and Lambos should be fairly close, I have no idea on the F cars.

Sometimes you have to get the slower car. You can either get a balanced well built car or a fast car that is sloppy. A used 6 cyl Cayman should be fast enough and more redeeming in terms of dynamics. When you have a budget you have to make hard choices.

Then there are running costs. If you do HPDEs you'll spend enough in tires, gas, and brakes on a C7 GS that you will effectively square up against a 100k Porsche in only a couple of years.
I hear original poster's concerns. Service of an "exotic" is a complete pain-in-the-a$$. I looked hard at a "pre-owned" Ferrari 458 a couple years ago, but when I looked into service, I discovered that while the car is much more reliable than Ferrari's of yore, the car would have to get to Chicago to be serviced, (I live in St. Louis), and parts and labor were astronomical if anything went wrong. Same for a McLaren.

My C7 is almost 5 years old and has had nothing but routine maintenance at the Chevy dealer down the street. THAT is a big advantage. Porsche's also are relatively easy to find service for, but probably a little more expensive to have done. The important thing is find a good mechanic who you can talk to and who is not 250 miles away. The ME C8 will likely share ease and affordability of maintenance with the C7, no matter where the engine is.
ArmchairArchitect (04-18-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why so much interest in mid-engine C8?