Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:35 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Directionless Design Direction

This is the kind of design "refresh" the prompts the question, "Why?" and the answer, "Because."
Old 04-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I knew that face looked familiar.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:59 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing
Me: after scanning 13 pages of mid-engine hysteria

Hey, FoxNews just broke the mid-engine: http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/04/...e-is-real.html

haha ahahaha ahhahahahaha

Also me: something to look forward to for next years NAIAS.
excerpt from fox news article:

"Speculation has been rampant, and there isn’t anything official other than to expect the most precise-handling, agile, and exotic Corvette ever made, but crucially, OFFERED AT A MODEST PRICE." (capitalization added)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by senah

"Speculation has been rampant, and there isn’t anything official other than to expect the most precise-handling, agile, and exotic Corvette ever made, but crucially, OFFERED AT A MODEST PRICE." (capitalization added)
How do they know?

Last edited by Nate@VanBortelChevy; 04-09-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Chrjones2
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/myste...ine-prototype/

Saw this article posted last night about the 1959 rear engine prototype, found it fitting for whats coming!
The following users liked this post:
Nate@VanBortelChevy (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:24 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by senah

Fox News doesn't know anything we don't know on this forum. For them to make a price statement is about as factual as any of the ones here.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:28 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Too bad they couldn't do something about the horrible "tank turret" greenhouse -- which is more like a machine-gun nest than a greenhouse...

GM is so wound up on this high beltline styling and I keep hoping they'll get over it. I had a 2014 Impala LTZ and just got a 2017 SS (not the Camaro, the Commodore). The difference in those 2 cars is monumental in terms of sight lines. The SS is just great, the Impala (had it for 3 years) was ridiculous. Parking it was a "best guess" proposition because of the beltline.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:34 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb

GM is so wound up on this high beltline styling and I keep hoping they'll get over it. I had a 2014 Impala LTZ and just got a 2017 SS (not the Camaro, the Commodore). The difference in those 2 cars is monumental in terms of sight lines. The SS is just great, the Impala (had it for 3 years) was ridiculous. Parking it was a "best guess" proposition because of the beltline.
You can thank European Pedestrian Protection mandates for that, here's an article from Car and Driver in 2012 about it:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...fatter-feature

I'm inclined to believe that's why most mid-engine supercars, ME Corvette included, still have relatively long noses when compared to older midengine cars.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:50 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Too bad they couldn't do something about the horrible "tank turret" greenhouse -- which is more like a machine-gun nest than a greenhouse...
They will fix the sight issues with the next generation. The Camaro is in a perfect position right now, in terms of performance, technology, and design. Its chassis is outstanding, its engines are great, and it offers some amazing features. With the C8 moving up market, or at least up the performance car pylon, the Camaro can finally be done correctly. They can (literally) raise the roof, lower the beltline, lower the entire car, increase trunk space, and open up the interior. We may even see the back seats go away for the sake of trunk space. According to GM, the average Camaro owner is 52. We may see that increase as Stingray buyers shift toward the Camaro SS/SS 1LE due to the(assumed) raised cost of the Corvette. I honestly think that the Camaro can replace the front-engine Corvette if the latter no longer exists after 2021, but the Camaro won't increase by much in price.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
You can thank European Pedestrian Protection mandates for that, here's an article from Car and Driver in 2012 about it:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...fatter-feature

I'm inclined to believe that's why most mid-engine supercars, ME Corvette included, still have relatively long noses when compared to older midengine cars.
I think that the noses are longer so that the trunks can be bigger. The Huracan has plenty of trunk space and the 570 can fit a decent amount.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
I think that the noses are longer so that the trunks can be bigger. The Huracan has plenty of trunk space and the 570 can fit a decent amount.
It's much easier to get the coefficient of drag down with a longer car vs a shorter car.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

For the last several iterations of the Camaro they have made the back seat too small. The largest number of pony car Customers have been young single women for a couple of decades now and they prefer the Mustang over the Camaro since the Mustang has a back seat that fits their usage better. That is one of the reasons the Camaro/Firebird disappeared for about 8 years. They didn't have the production volumes to be a profitable product.

Bill
Old 04-09-2018, 04:35 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS2K
Porsche sold more than 32,000 911s in 2016.
Globally. About NINE THOUSAND in the USA. I think what's lost in this excited discussion here is the simple reality that if GM really boosts the base price of a ME C8 to $120K MOST OF US WON'T BE RICH ENOUGH TO BUY THIS CAR, all the chest thumping and dick measuring aside. I would be astonished if even GM is that stupid, I don't think they are. I do think they'll bump the base price from $55K to $70K+, and that will make it pricey enough. More of a stretch perhaps, but within reach of say 80%+ of the current audience for the car.

WTF? I don't get half of you here. America doesn't need a 'supercar'. The Corvette has always been an AFFORDABLE near-supercar perhaps, and then the Z06 elevated it to supercar status for those with the desire and the budget for that. Let's hope they stick to a formula that has been very successful for all concerned for 6 decades. I mean, not for nothing, but with a median age of 60 or whatever, what % of the buyers of this car could give a flying fark about performance, they just love Corvettes. All the performance stat fan bois and weekend track warriors are guys like us, the OTHER 95% of the buyers don't go near these forums, and half of them probably rarely exceed posted speed limits or ever pull more than .85 g's in a corner. Ever get a load of who is driving these cars at some auto events? I rest my case.

That's all we need, a friggin $100K++ overpriced sled that only winds up in the garages of Wall Street bonus boys. God help me that would suck harder than a d. trump twitter rant. The Corvette has always been an aspirational car, but the #1 KEY to aspirational is that IT REMAINS WITHIN REACH OF ENOUGH OF YOUR POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS. I finally threw in the towel and purchased my $71K list car for $63K (approx) once the car softened up a bit, and it was a stretch, but I was able to buy the car; because GM pricing on the Corvette was attainable, like it always has been. I think that is such a CRITICAL component of everything that makes Corvettes so widely loved. Some 16 year old kid pushing carts in a supermarket parking lot says 'Wow, nice car mister' to me like I did 40+ years ago, and inside he knows the car is expensive, but not Porsche expensive, like maybe someday even he could actually have one of his own.

Nothing, and I mean friggin NOTHING would be dumber, more tone deaf, more of a slap in the face to the Corvette faithful than making this car nose-bleed expensive, and if the base price goes north of say $75K or $80K, that's what they're doing. That just would make no fiscal sense, unit sales of this car would tank harder than the Mets in August.

Last edited by patentcad; 04-09-2018 at 04:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by patentcad:
Telepierre (04-09-2018), TOBASCO (04-21-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

No worries the ME will hold 2 golf bags.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...orvette-coming

Last edited by Redc8z06; 04-09-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Globally. About NINE THOUSAND in the USA. I think what's lost in this excited discussion here is the simple reality that if GM really boosts the base price of a ME C8 to $120K MOST OF US WON'T BE RICH ENOUGH TO BUY THIS CAR, all the chest thumping and dick measuring aside. I would be astonished if even GM is that stupid, I don't think they are. I do think they'll bump the base price from $55K to $70K+, and that will make it pricey enough. More of a stretch perhaps, but within reach of say 80%+ of the current audience for the car.

WTF? I don't get half of you here. America doesn't need a 'supercar'. The Corvette has always been an AFFORDABLE near-supercar perhaps, and then the Z06 elevated it to supercar status for those with the desire and the budget for that. Let's hope they stick to a formula that has been very successful for all concerned for 6 decades. I mean, not for nothing, but with a median age of 60 or whatever, what % of the buyers of this car could give a flying fark about performance, they just love Corvettes. All the performance stat fan bois and weekend track warriors are guys like us, the OTHER 95% of the buyers don't go near these forums, and half of them probably rarely exceed posted speed limits or ever pull more than .85 g's in a corner. Ever get a load of who is driving these cars at some auto events? I rest my case.

That's all we need, a friggin $100K++ overpriced sled that only winds up in the garages of Wall Street bonus boys. God help me that would suck harder than a d. trump twitter rant. The Corvette has always been an aspirational car, but the #1 KEY to aspirational is that IT REMAINS WITHIN REACH OF ENOUGH OF YOUR POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS. I finally threw in the towel and purchased my $71K list car for $63K (approx) once the car softened up a bit, and it was a stretch, but I was able to buy the car; because GM pricing on the Corvette was attainable, like it always has been. I think that is such a CRITICAL component of everything that makes Corvettes so widely loved. Some 16 year old kid pushing carts in a supermarket parking lot says 'Wow, nice car mister' to me like I did 40+ years ago, and inside he knows the car is expensive, but not Porsche expensive, like maybe someday even he could actually have one of his own.

Nothing, and I mean friggin NOTHING would be dumber, more tone deaf, more of a slap in the face to the Corvette faithful than making this car nose-bleed expensive, and if the base price goes north of say $75K or $80K, that's what they're doing. That just would make no fiscal sense, unit sales of this car would tank harder than the Mets in August.
What if GM does something like Porsche does?

Offer a front engine C8 priced at $60,000+(like the Boxster/Cayman) and then a mid engine "Zora" priced at $100,000+(like the 911).

Wouldn't that make both camps happy?

Say 22,000-25,000 annually of the front engine version, and 8,000-10,000 annually of the mid engine version, out of Bowling Green, utilizing two separate assembly lines(plenty of room with nearly 2 million square feet of floor space).

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Offer a front engine C8 priced at $60,000+(like the Boxster/Cayman) and then a mid engine "Zora" priced at $100,000+(like the 911).

Say 22,000-25,000 annually of the front engine version, and 8,000-10,000 annually of the mid engine version, out of Bowling Green, utilizing two separate assembly lines(plenty of room with nearly 2 million square feet of floor space).
I've been saying from the beginning that's what they're going to do. This may mean we've seen our last front engine ZR1, but that'd be a small trade off.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:41 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
How do they know?
Nate - what do you mean? FOX NEWS even quoted you in the article

Get notified of new replies

To Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!

Old 04-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
They will fix the sight issues with the next generation. The Camaro is in a perfect position right now, in terms of performance, technology, and design.
Performance, maybe, technology, have you seen the interior?, and design...no. The car still suffers from a horrid interior, probably one of the worst of all cars on the market by any manufacturer. As far as design goes, it has decent performance, but the looks are atrocious. It can't decide what it wants to be, part classic, part modern, and part hot wheels. It fails at all three and is one of the ugliest cars on the market as a result. It's sister car, the Chevy SS, for all it's boring design and chrome is a much better looking car and the interior is light years in the future.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:46 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I've been saying from the beginning that's what they're going to do. This may mean we've seen our last front engine ZR1, but that'd be a small trade off.
This scenario is certainly possible, but the dealer who attended the recent conference in Las Vegas said the GM rep called it: "the next generation of Corvette." He didn't says it would be an additional Corvette, or that it would be a more high-end Corvette. Granted, these are just words spoken at a convention, but I think they choose their words very carefully.

If they do price the ME Corvette at $100K plus, then I think that pretty much guarantees that a FE Corvette will have to continue for the reasons patentcad mentioned above.

I have no idea what's going to happen, but I would love to see two completely different Corvettes, regardless of pricing. I will buy the ME, but I will also keep my FE. Love that car.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 04-09-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:52 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,971 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
It's sister car, the Chevy SS, for all it's boring design and chrome is a much better looking car and the interior is light years in the future.
What's a Chevy SS?

I don't think GM is selling those anymore.

Quick Reply: Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!