Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:51 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by flyforfun
I still think the base price will be north of $80K plus on the C8. But I am sure some here would dream of it being lower. I will them luck.
Don't wish me luck. Wish GM luck. It's their funeral, not mine. To me it's a friggin toy car, to them it's billions in revenue - or lost revenue - and profits - and customers. A base price much higher than the current one makes no sense if you have two business brain cells to rub together. But not all sports car weenies do, which may explain why they buy sports cars in the first place : ).

Last edited by patentcad; 04-10-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:54 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by LIStingray
A $60k 500 hp C8 is a pipe dream, and frankly so is a $65k car.
The current C7 with Z51 (which will be the equivalent of the base ME) starts at $61,445, and since the C8 will be DCT only, the comparison should be with an A8 - base MSRP $63,170+$1,095 freight. If you think the C8 will be only $1,800 more than the current C7, you are dreaming.
GM would do well to price the ME C8 to start at $69,995.
That's higher enough for them to fatten their margin but not crazy high. That might work.

But lower is better.

These cars stay hot for maybe two years. Then they cool off. FAST.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 12:55 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Don't wish me luck. Wish GM luck. It's their funeral, not mine. To me it's a friggin toy car, to them it's billions in revenue - or lost revenue - and profits - and customers. A base price much higher than the current one makes no sense if you have two business brain cells to rub together. But not all sports car weenies do, which may explain why they buy sports cars in the first place : ).
You are dreaming and in a state of denial! Clearly you have never designed, engineered, or built anything that requires a flow path of logic. The ZR1 is at the 150K range already. What precisely don't you understand about this mid engined configuration that is way beyond the front engined configuration and how in in world can you not see the difference in the new platforms technology. This is a totally new approach by GM with their most advanced tech. Clearly not a starter sportscar. They have already determined and have called it a Supercar. Get used to it. It's not going to be cheap!!
Old 04-10-2018, 01:46 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

by de-contenting the LT1, you can easily get 500hp and it would cost LESS . Getting rid of DOD would easily allow for 30+ hp and less crap in the motor. that would be a perfect base motor for the ME
Old 04-10-2018, 02:05 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by skank
You are dreaming and in a state of denial! Clearly you have never designed, engineered, or built anything that requires a flow path of logic. The ZR1 is at the 150K range already. What precisely don't you understand about this mid engined configuration that is way beyond the front engined configuration and how in in world can you not see the difference in the new platforms technology. This is a totally new approach by GM with their most advanced tech. Clearly not a starter sportscar. They have already determined and have called it a Supercar. Get used to it. It's not going to be cheap!!
A.) The Corvette was never a 'starter sportscar'. A bargain compared to a Porsche perhaps, but not a 'starter'. A Nissan 300ZX or a Toyota 86 - THOSE are 'starter sportscars'. B.) Corvettes are not cheap, they are pricey. Spare me the 'cheap compared to a Ferrari' nonsense. Ferrari sold 2500 cars in the USA last year. GM sells 20-40 THOUSAND Corvettes. Every $10K they increase the Corvette base price EXPONENTIALLY reduces the potential buyer base. C.) You're the one who's dreaming, my projections are consistent with a 60 year history. The development costs on this ME car shouldn't be all that much higher than they were for the C7. Why would they be? D.) GM has recoup its investment in the factory: they'll have an easier time selling 35,000 ME cars @ $75K than 15,000 cars @ $105K.

If GM goes all high zoot on this next car it will be the most astonishing Eff You America to their core customer base imaginable. Why would you want that to happen? That's nutty.

I guess we'll find out sooner or later, all the vaporware **** on this car is getting older than the median Corvette buying age.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:09 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it is a pipe dream but I would like the 1st year car to be the mid engine zora or zR1. Then two years out release the Grandsport. The first year car will have limited production with constraints and dealer mark up. I can only dream about that car. As the inventory builds drop a standard V8 in it sell the grand sport.

Last edited by CitationZ06@yahoo; 04-10-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:10 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

You could be correct if this is going to be an addition to the Corvette name plate. A halo car, with nothing less than the LT5 engine and all the go fast, feel good stuff they can fit in it. Then they might draw some cross shoppers from the high end Europeans, but brand loyalty and prestige will still haunt GM in that regard. Because at the end of the day, it will still be a Chevrolet, and Ferrari will still be Ferrari. When the sales figures for the ZR1 come in at the end of the year, we will get a fair picture of what to expect from production and sales projections for a $130K mid engine Corvette. GM didn't invest all that money in BG to only build a couple of thousand cars a year. They will need to retain volume, and in order to do that, they will need to maintain volume sales. Whether that be an FE car in the $60k range, or base mid engine in that range is GM's problem to solve, but they aren't going to turn their backs on the customer base that feeds them.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
You could be correct if this is going to be an addition to the Corvette name plate. A halo car, with nothing less than the LT5 engine and all the go fast, feel good stuff they can fit in it. Then they might draw some cross shoppers from the high end Europeans, but brand loyalty and prestige will still haunt GM in that regard. Because at the end of the day, it will still be a Chevrolet, and Ferrari will still be Ferrari. When the sales figures for the ZR1 come in at the end of the year, we will get a fair picture of what to expect from production and sales projections for a $130K mid engine Corvette. GM didn't invest all that money in BG to only build a couple of thousand cars a year. They will need to retain volume, and in order to do that, they will need to maintain volume sales. Whether that be an FE car in the $60k range, or base mid engine in that range is GM's problem to solve, but they aren't going to turn their backs on the customer base that feeds them.
You are correct. I firmly believe they will be building both FE and ME configurations as they would be committing automotive suicide if they were to get rid of their FE model line that has a 65 year history.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:26 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

A.) The Corvette was never a 'starter sportscar'. A bargain compared to a Porsche perhaps, but not a 'starter'. A Nissan 300ZX or a Toyota 86 - THOSE are 'starter sportscars'. B.) Corvettes are not cheap, they are pricey. Spare me the 'cheap compared to a Ferrari' nonsense. Ferrari sold 2500 cars in the USA last year. GM sells 20-40 THOUSAND Corvettes. Every $10K they increase the Corvette base price EXPONENTIALLY reduces the potential buyer base. C.) You're the one who's dreaming, my projections are consistent with a 60 year history. The development costs on this ME car shouldn't be all that much higher than they were for the C7. Why would they be? D.) GM has recoup its investment in the factory: they'll have an easier time selling 35,000 ME cars @ $75K than 15,000 cars @ $105K.

If GM goes all high zoot on this next car it will be the most astonishing Eff You America to their core customer base imaginable. Why would you want that to happen? That's nutty.

I guess we'll find out sooner or later, all the vaporware **** on this car is getting older than the median Corvette buying age.
We shall see then won't we! I believe you are clueless in your analysis, but time will tell and we can make fun of each other when it's revealed.
patentcad (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 02:28 PM
patentcad
Drifting

We shall see then won't we! I believe you are clueless in your analysis, but time will tell and we can make fun of each other when it's revealed.
You are not alone.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Just think back to 2013, the C7 was about to come out, it was getting rave advance notices in the press, it was going to be a new standard for the Corvette, finally bringing the car on par with the pricier rivals - and what did GM do? They astonished the world with a $52K base price. Which quickly went to $55K, but it was off to the races on the sales end with the car, it was a huge hit. Why would they not follow that successful strategy with the ME car? I think they will indeed.
JerriVette (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 02:35 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Why is it so hard to see the obvious? GM likely has little or no intention of eliminating any of it's current offerings. Corvettes come under the heading of "cash cow." The evolution of the entire array of offerings from Stingray to ZR1 is heading in a natural and needed upward movement. It's the nature of the business. They increased the size of BG to improve their business, enlarge their offerings and make more money. One of the ways to make more money is to create and offer a new addition to the Corvette family. Enter the ME. This will not subject the previous offerings to any more then marginal losses of customers. The Corvette faithful are exactly that! What it will do is increase the overall gross from the BG facility, a drastically needed infusion of cash and a new and happy, worldwide clientele for a magnificat automobile, the ME.
skank (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 02:51 PM
ticat928
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

To gage C8 pricing one has to look at competition:

Cheapest "super car" is the McLaren 540c at $147,000 USD
http://driving.ca/mclaren/auto-news/...6500-in-canada

https://jalopnik.com/the-mclaren-540...n-y-1698931378

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ck-of-interest

2017 McLaren 570GT
Luxury vehicle
MSRP: From $198,950
Horsepower: 562 hp
Curb weight: 3,296 lbs
MPG: 16 city / 23 highway
Fuel tank capacity: 19 gal
Engine: 3.8 L V8

2017 Acura NSX
Luxury vehicle
5/5 · Edmunds
Horsepower: 573 hp
MSRP: From $156,000
Engine: 3.5 L V6
MPG: 21 city / 22 highway
Curb weight: 3,803 lbs

2018 Audi R8
Luxury vehicle
8.7/10
USNews Car Rankings
4.5/5
Car and Driver
Horsepower: 540 to 610 hp
MSRP: From $164,900
MPG: 14 city / 22 highway
Curb weight: 3,627 to 3,957 lbs
Engine: 5.2 L V10
Body styles
Coupe
From $164,900

I would peg the price of c8 below NSX but above ZR1
Old 04-10-2018, 02:53 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltomn
Why is it so hard to see the obvious? GM likely has little or no intention of eliminating any of it's current offerings. Corvettes come under the heading of "cash cow." The evolution of the entire array of offerings from Stingray to ZR1 is heading in a natural and needed upward movement. It's the nature of the business. They increased the size of BG to improve their business, enlarge their offerings and make more money. One of the ways to make more money is to create and offer a new addition to the Corvette family. Enter the ME. This will not subject the previous offerings to any more then marginal losses of customers. The Corvette faithful are exactly that! What it will do is increase the overall gross from the BG facility, a drastically needed infusion of cash and a new and happy, worldwide clientele for a magnificat automobile, the ME.
What makes you think that's so obvious?
Old 04-10-2018, 04:11 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

There are 2 scenarios, IMO:

1. The ME is NOT the C8. It is a new car, not replacing the front engine car. The C7 soldiers on until MY2021 (we KNOW this is the case, in any event) and the C7 is replaced by an evolutionary C8 for MY 2022, based on the C7. If this is what happens, then I have no idea where the ME car is priced.

2. The ME IS the C8. The C7 continues through 2021, and then the ONLY Corvette is the ME. If this is the scenario, then I think the base ME will be close to current Stingray pricing.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Chrjones2
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Wasn't the c7 originally supposed to be all mid engine before the bankruptcy fiasco? I've never seen proof of that, but have heard it mentioned a few times on the forums.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:18 PM
ltomn
Pro

What makes you think that's so obvious?
I do not profess to have a crystal ball. Nor do I have a mole in GM telling me what their plans are for starting and stopping an offering of a model. I also am not speaking about the current models carrying on any further then a date that GM may have publicly announced. I am merely adding my thoughts to the mix of what is going on with BG and the mid engined Corvette. I believe that for some time, it will be accompanied by FE models. My earlier post was to suggest it makes extremely obvious business sense to keep an income producing model for whatever time it deems appropriate. Why throw money away. I'm guessing GM won't do that.
skank (04-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!

Old 04-10-2018, 04:41 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Is this proposed split corvette model going to be be like the new Malibu and Malibu classic of a few years ago?

I don't think so...

Jmo

GM will continue to use the corvette as a value supercar halo vehicle for Americans to afford or aspire to...

That's what the Chevy brand is all about...

Getting greatness above its price category.

The per unit sales profit of corvette is of less of a concern than the message it trailblazes for the entire corporation...to every American...

The fact GM makes a profit on the corvette on top of that is gravy...

Jmo
Old 04-10-2018, 04:47 PM
ltomn
Pro

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The fact GM makes a profit on the corvette on top of that is gravy...
GM is a publicly traded company and profit is the driving factor of virtually every offering of a vehicle it makes. Don't get overly romantic about the place Corvette holds in the company. If it doesn't make money, it won't be produced...at least not for long.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:20 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltomn
I do not profess to have a crystal ball. Nor do I have a mole in GM telling me what their plans are for starting and stopping an offering of a model. I also am not speaking about the current models carrying on any further then a date that GM may have publicly announced. I am merely adding my thoughts to the mix of what is going on with BG and the mid engined Corvette. I believe that for some time, it will be accompanied by FE models. My earlier post was to suggest it makes extremely obvious business sense to keep an income producing model for whatever time it deems appropriate. Why throw money away. I'm guessing GM won't do that.
I'm not sure it makes any sense to produce two entirely different cars. That's why it makes more sense for the C8 to debut as a mid-engined replacement for the C7 @ price points from near the current car to about where the ZR1 is today with varying performance levels.

All speculation, anything can happen. What GM will NOT do is just have a C8 that's 90K+ and no other Corvette offering.

Unpossible.

Quick Reply: Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!