Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 05:46 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I'm not sure it makes any sense to produce two entirely different cars. That's why it makes more sense for the C8 to debut as a mid-engined replacement for the C7 @ price points from near the current car to about where the ZR1 is today with varying performance levels.

All speculation, anything can happen. What GM will NOT do is just have a C8 that's 90K+ and no other Corvette offering.

Unpossible.
Why is it so difficult to believe that GM will make two different cars? They are a company engaged in the effort to create profit by designing and offering creative vehicles. Ones that appeal to the desires of as wide an audience as possible. The effort to create a mid engine car from the historic footings of the Corvette is a natural progression to such a model. That certainly does not preclude it from continuing to offer a front engine model for whatever time it deems appropriate. Particularly when it makes money.
The following users liked this post:
skank (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:55 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
GM is a publicly traded company and profit is the driving factor of virtually every offering of a vehicle it makes. Don't get overly romantic about the place Corvette holds in the company. If it doesn't make money, it won't be produced...at least not for long.
Exactly right. This notion that GM makes the Corvette out of the goodness of it's heart is just silly. There's a business plan, there's a profit requirement, etc. If Corvette doesn't perform financially, it's gone.
Things like the Volt/Bolt can suck wind (from a profitability standpoint) because of they foster a "perception" that big, bad GM CARES about the environment. Corvettes can't really make that claim.

Obviously, trucks/SUV's are THE big profit items for GM. That said, I'm sure GM makes nice coin on Corvette, just not truck/SUV coin.

Last edited by jimmyb; 04-10-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:45 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

well.... if I were running GM

C8 = 2021 Stingray
Z1 = 2019 Zora

all are Corvettes and sold at selected GM dealerships

Last edited by LowRyter; 04-10-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

LowRyter, you could well be one to something. At this point, even my trusted sources are giving me mixed messages, so while there are clearly some you definitively know what is coming, as the old expression goes, “those who know are not talking, and the rest of us are trying to figure out things on the forums.”
Old 04-10-2018, 08:35 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter

C8 = 2021 Stingray
Z1 = 2019 Zora

So you think or would propose the 2019 ME to be the high/highest trim level first then a couple years later the start of C8 ME?. I like your thinking!
Old 04-10-2018, 08:45 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I don't see c8 shown as a high priced model. I fully expect there will be more extravagant c8 iterations as the previous generations successfully sold.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:22 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
You are correct. I firmly believe they will be building both FE and ME configurations as they would be committing automotive suicide if they were to get rid of their FE model line that has a 65 year history.
Building a ME halo over the FE will under cut the appeal of the FE. Suicide for the Corvette.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:34 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Why is it so difficult to believe that GM will make two different cars? They are a company engaged in the effort to create profit by designing and offering creative vehicles. Ones that appeal to the desires of as wide an audience as possible. The effort to create a mid engine car from the historic footings of the Corvette is a natural progression to such a model. That certainly does not preclude it from continuing to offer a front engine model for whatever time it deems appropriate. Particularly when it makes money.
They may but hopefully they did their homework because that may just dilute sales across the board. Look. Many people buy a Corvette because it is the top performance two seater from Chevy. If it is turned into the JV car it will turn off a portion of the already small group of people that shop these cars. They may look just look elsewhere, why stretch to get into the JV car? Corvette has been successful in part because the price point and performance have been well placed without a lot of competition.
Chrjones2 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 02:17 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
There are 2 scenarios, IMO:

1. The ME is NOT the C8. It is a new car, not replacing the front engine car. The C7 soldiers on until MY2021 (we KNOW this is the case, in any event) and the C7 is replaced by an evolutionary C8 for MY 2022, based on the C7. If this is what happens, then I have no idea where the ME car is priced.

2. The ME IS the C8. The C7 continues through 2021, and then the ONLY Corvette is the ME. If this is the scenario, then I think the base ME will be close to current Stingray pricing.

I think either one could happen. Perhaps GM is not even sure yet. Sales numbers of both versions may dictate the ultimate outcome which is why I think the base ME will be priced in the $65-68 range.....still the semi-affordable sports car within reach of current buyers.

If the ME tanks, there will be a new FE car in 2022. If the ME becomes the preferred choice and FE sales dwindle, then maybe it becomes the only Corvette....and then there's room to build the Cadillac version at Bowling Green.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:03 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Nothing wrong with your Photoshop skills. However that design is absolutely awful looking. Very old-fashioned. Not appealing at all.
I think it's awesome. The front end is a bit ZR-1 esque" but I agree this is a solid design that looks better than the attrocity posted on the home page don't you think? This is a car I would buy

5.5 dohc 850 hp

8 spd tranny that bangs gears faster than me and offers "no clutch" (bad knees) paddle shifters are fine, make them shift firm and positive at low revs, and snap off a shift with very little slip at higher revs)

modern interior that is enhanced over c7 which is a really good interior

3200 lbs

My c5 TT doesn't have an 8 spd, but it did hook me on high hp with a nice shifting auto. I hope to put a c7 8spd in it someday!

Last edited by Rkreigh; 04-11-2018 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:31 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Why is it so difficult to believe that GM will make two different cars?
Making two models presents the problem of having to split 30-40,000 units between two models, not just one, which increases the costs for both models. Despite what many on here think, a Corvette supercar model in a two model lineup will mostly cannibalize sales from regular Corvette sales - the supercar market is very small (less than 5,000 units - Porsche 911's aren't supercars) and 95% of their buyers purchase them because they are exotic and expensive - a Corvette supercar isn't going to steal many of their buyers. Where it will do well is with the rich track car crowd, but that isn't going to be more than a couple of hundred buyers per year.
Two different models severely compromises the value and desirability of the cheaper one (as good as a Camaro ZL-1 LE is, no one considers it a halo car, and it sells in far fewer quantities than a Z06), so its sales will drop considerably, which imo, makes the simultaneous sales of the C7 FE and C8 ME a losing proposition for GM. GM's only viable option for selling a ME halo car and FE car was to make the ME a Cadillac - something that now seems unlikely.
Chrjones2 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 07:52 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

C8 = Continuation of FE Corvette = MSRP in line with generation change; Evolution of C7 platform.

ME = mid engine platform = MSRP $150k+; Revolutionary clean sheet design halo car for GM.

The only business case that makes sense.
RoketRdr (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 AM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
C8 = Continuation of FE Corvette = MSRP in line with generation change; Evolution of C7 platform.

ME = mid engine platform = MSRP $150k+; Revolutionary clean sheet design halo car for GM.

The only business case that makes sense.
Don’t you think this would put a shadow over the C8 that was once the halo car? It clearly can no longer be considered a halo car. Why stretch to get into the JV C8 that is no longer revolutionary. What car will be representing Corvette in IMSA? Probably not the C8.
Chrjones2 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter

C8 = 2021 Stingray
Z1 = 2019 Zora

Like Porsche sequential model numbers, the C8 will be the ME and the C9 will be the FE. The overlap in price will be the high end C9 and the low end C8. The C10 will be a rebodied Pontiac Solstice entry level car and the high end C10 with a 310hp st 4 price will overlap the low end C9.
Heck, Porsche does it. All will be Chevrolet Corvettes from $30 to $250 grand. Get new customers when they are young and keep 'em.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

If the OP is still checking this, please tell us that what C&D put on the May 2018 cover is not what you saw...
z edge (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
If the OP is still checking this, please tell us that what C&D put on the May 2018 cover is not what you saw...
Unfortunately, I cannot comment any further on what I saw. I'm sorry.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:31 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!

Old 04-11-2018, 12:39 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Making two models presents the problem of having to split 30-40,000 units between two models, not just one, which increases the costs for both models. Despite what many on here think, a Corvette supercar model in a two model lineup will mostly cannibalize sales from regular Corvette sales - the supercar market is very small (less than 5,000 units - Porsche 911's aren't supercars) and 95% of their buyers purchase them because they are exotic and expensive - a Corvette supercar isn't going to steal many of their buyers. Where it will do well is with the rich track car crowd, but that isn't going to be more than a couple of hundred buyers per year.
Two different models severely compromises the value and desirability of the cheaper one (as good as a Camaro ZL-1 LE is, no one considers it a halo car, and it sells in far fewer quantities than a Z06), so its sales will drop considerably, which imo, makes the simultaneous sales of the C7 FE and C8 ME a losing proposition for GM. GM's only viable option for selling a ME halo car and FE car was to make the ME a Cadillac - something that now seems unlikely.

So a $150K Corvette would be "supercar" but a 911 Turbo or GT3 is not?

Tossing around adjectives like "supercar" and "halo" are subjective at best, and truly mean nothing. I don't see anything on the sticker of my Corvette that says "halo" car. These are terms that people toss around to fit their own definition of specific cars.

If the ME is priced much higher than the FE, that will not affect the so-called prestige of owning a Corvette. People will buy the Corvette they can afford, just as it is now. If you can't afford the ZR1, you buy the Z06. Can't afford the Z06? Buy the Grand Sport, etc. A potential Corvette buyer does not walk away from a Stingray because they can't afford a ZR1.

Those who can't afford a 911 Turbo buy a 911 S. Same thing will happen with the Corvette ME vs the Corvette FE. This is not an exact science...look what happened with the NSX. GM does not have a crystal ball or some master plan from which they KNOW they will sell a certain amount cars. All they can do offer the best car for the best price and hope that sales figures continue in the same ball park or perhaps even grow.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 04-11-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:44 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
Unfortunately, I cannot comment any further on what I saw. I'm sorry.
Just tell all the posters on this forum how full of **** so many of them are.. but don't say which ones...
Old 04-11-2018, 02:02 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I've said it many times, I am not in the automotive business but I am a businessman. Two different models of a vehicle is an asset not a detriment. It gives the buying public a choice: basic (and very good) or extravagant (and also very good). The mix of sales will handle itself. GM, who is in the automotive business, is smart enough to make it work.

As for the rendering on C & D, I would suggest, from a design standpoint, that it more resembles a Cadillac then a ageless Corvette.
RoketRdr (04-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Las Vegas Dealer's Conference: C8 Announcement, it is coming!