Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will Ford's response be to the C8?

Old 04-14-2018, 09:56 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by NotreOkc
Chevy is always ahead of the game (and Ford). They build Camaros that outperform the best Ford has. There is a reason Ford does not throw their hat into the sports car ring, they simple cannot hang (including Dodge.). They stopped production of the Viper because of one reason, no one is buying them! Vettes have been around and selling and dominating since 1953.
Ford sell trucks....and are great at it. The best they can do is 450K GT and Chevy already stomped on its neck at VIR. With a Engineer driving.
You just can't climb in the ring with Ali because you think you can box.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

Didn't Ford just announce that they're going to concentrate on building trucks and SUV's and the new redesigned Focus will be build in China and Germany. They're making big bucks and the ME Corvette is just an annoying knat in their eyes.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by NotreOkc
Chevy is always ahead of the game (and Ford). They build Camaros that outperform the best Ford has. There is a reason Ford does not throw their hat into the sports car ring, they simple cannot hang (including Dodge.). They stopped production of the Viper because of one reason, no one is buying them! Vettes have been around and selling and dominating since 1953.
Ford sell trucks....and are great at it. The best they can do is 450K GT and Chevy already stomped on its neck at VIR. With a Engineer driving.
You just can't climb in the ring with Ali because you think you can box.
You can't get golf clubs into this car. Magnificent achievement by Ford. I took these yesterday at the Barrett Jackson Auction in PBI. Why people call it a gimmick and bad mouth this fine car is down right anti American. Get rid of that Wayne Taylor idiot at Cadillac and design a proper LMP and street ME car. I don't see how you can make a GT and daily driver out of a ME design unless it is tiny. What girl is going to drive this car every day to work? We shall soon see. Corvette boys are part time magicians.

Last edited by Shaka; 04-15-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 PM
supermetroid
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

It would be nice to have a US competitor that offered the daily drivability of the Corvette at a similar price(which is what killed the Viper). As long as they offer a V8 version, I'd like to see what Ford could do in this segment just in case the Corvette design team screws up the design. I'm just really hoping the back will look good as it's the weak point by far on the otherwise sexy C7 imo.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:21 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Since the guy who came up with the 3rd gen. Ford GT in the first place, Raj Nair, just got canned for "improper conduct in the workplace", I doubt you will see anyone at Ford take up this banner anytime soon. In addition, even if Ford had a 100% markup on the 1000 Ford GT's they had Multimatic build for them, their TOTAL earnings on this project are less than GM made on 6 months production of Corvettes. This is not really a competition, until Ford commits to build a bowling Green plant of its own, which they will not do.

The real battleground between Ford and GM is light trucks - the F150 vs. the Silverado. in my book, that is important because the Silverado is the sole reason GM still has a small block V-8 to put into a sports car. The Ford GT's biggest handicap is that crappy Eco-Boost V-6.

BTW, a real trend to look at is the next generation of 48V electrical systems and integral starter-generators in the drivetrain, as MB is introducing in 2019 with their new turbo I-6. This allows for electrically driven superchargers and accessories, etc. Very exciting development that will spread rapidly. Corvette may get something like this as a "hybrid" option in both the C7.5 and the C8.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Campbell (04-18-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Since the guy who came up with the 3rd gen. Ford GT in the first place, Raj Nair, just got canned for "improper conduct in the workplace",
That's funny.
Nothing feels better than watching one of the High & Mighty being embarrassed.
The Ford GT's biggest handicap is that crappy Eco-Boost V-6.
Don't let that stand in the way of buying one.
Back-in-the-day, I passed on one of the 2005-6 GTs because it had an engine out of a Mustang.
Considering its resale value, I'm still kicking myself...
Old 04-17-2018, 08:49 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 418 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
That's funny.
Nothing feels better than watching one of the High & Mighty being embarrassed.
Don't let that stand in the way of buying one.
Back-in-the-day, I passed on one of the 2005-6 GTs because it had an engine out of a Mustang.
Considering its resale value, I'm still kicking myself...
The appreciation in value of my 2006 Ford GT bought my Z07.

I actually tried to buy a 2018 Ford GT but since they were only being allocated to friends and family of Ford Motor Company (IE I was not selected for purchase) I ended my long standing love affair with Ford. My blood turned from blue to red and the blinders came off.

I anxiously await the next gen mid engine Corvette. I will likely opt for the 5.xL TT Z06 version rather than wait for the AWD hybrid ZR1.

I really grew tired of Ford's antics around every HP model. I went through it several times, each worse and more convoluted than the previous. ENOUGH. At least GM BUILDS AND SELLS the Vette. No stupidity.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:54 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
The appreciation in value of my 2006 Ford GT bought my Z07.
You are a smarter man than I, sir.
I actually tried to buy a 2018 Ford GT but since they were only being allocated to friends and family of Ford Motor Company (IE I was not selected for purchase) I ended my long standing love affair with Ford. My blood turned from blue to red and the blinders came off.
You're not the only one.
I've read of others who say the same things regarding the new GT program.
I will likely opt for the 5.xL TT Z06 version rather than wait for the AWD hybrid ZR1.
That would be my choice too.
I really grew tired of Ford's antics around every HP model. I went through it several times, each worse and more convoluted than the previous. ENOUGH. At least GM BUILDS AND SELLS the Vette. No stupidity.
Ford has milked the Mustang for all it's worth.
Seems like hundreds of "special editions," model variants, etc. over the last 20 years.
I can't keep up...
Old 04-17-2018, 01:00 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 418 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
You are a smarter man than I, sir.
You're not the only one.
I've read of others who say the same things regarding the new GT program.
That would be my choice too.
Ford has milked the Mustang for all it's worth.
Seems like hundreds of "special editions," model variants, etc. over the last 20 years.
I can't keep up...
Not smart, just darn lucky for only the second time in my life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What will Ford's response be to the C8?