May Car & Driver has ME on the cover... - Page 14 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May Car & Driver has ME on the cover...

Old 04-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #261  
elegant
CF Senior Member

C&D was damn close on their C7 rendering as in the picture below. However, as close as they were for the C7, they are, IMO, far from accurate in the ME rendering now. The ME rendering, IMO is way bloated, has the wheelbase not to scale compared to spy pics, and other serious “wrongs.”
Attached Images

Last edited by elegant; 04-19-2018 at 10:19 AM.
elegant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #262  
Z06NJ
CF Senior Member

They nailed it with the new ZR1 so I'm trusting them 100% on this one!!
Z06NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #263  
elegant
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06NJ View Post
They nailed it with the new ZR1 so I'm trusting them 100% on this one!!
Z06NJ, so you are thinking the new ME is going to look like this. That is not a beautiful car (understatement)!

Candidly and thankfully, you and C&D are very wrong.
Attached Images

Last edited by elegant; 04-19-2018 at 11:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to elegant For This Useful Post:
Z06NJ (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #264  
Speednet
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant View Post
C&D was damn close on their C7 rendering as in the picture below. However, as close as they were for the C7, they are, IMO, far from accurate in the ME rendering now. The ME rendering, IMO is way bloated, has the wheelbase not to scale compared to spy pics, and other serious “wrongs.”
I don't think it's very close at all, especially considering the amount of spy material available at the time. Their C7 render suffered from the same basic problems as their current C8 render. The body has no "bottle" shape, the hood and lines are totally off, the nose is wrong, the side profile and b-pillar area is totally wrong, no/wrong aero, etc. Anyone with skills could have drawn that as a guess.
Speednet is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speednet For This Useful Post:
Atomic Fred (04-19-2018), elegant (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #265  
black_valentine

I would just say that the cover above was from April 2011. The closer the C7 got to release, C & D's render improved drastically. This is from January 2013. Other than minor details (e.g. headlights, front opening trim, hood vents, etc., it looks spot on. They're even showing a pretty accurate rendering of the Z06 (and GS and ZR1) rear brake cooling intake. As far as the body shape/lines and proportions go, they pretty much nailed it. (It's almost as if they had access to the actual CAD files and/or other GM insider information.) I mean, they are depicting things accurately that were not even visible underneath the camo. This gives me some confidence that their latest issue is showing a pretty accurate rendering of the next Vette, including its actual proportions.

Last edited by black_valentine; 04-20-2018 at 08:15 PM.
black_valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #266  
black_valentine

At this point, I really do believe it has some major complex camo on the front and rear that's making the mule look longer than it actually is, and as I posted previously in this thread, I believe that exposed rear diffuser is fake and just part of the camo to make the rear appear longer than it is. I mean, once you see the overlay of the C & D side profile (courtesy of FVS) on the side shot of the mule, you can never unsee it. Plus, the overall side profile proportions of the C & D render are inline with the Cadillac Cien concept, which I don't really believe is a coincidence. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Remember that LaFerrari camo car?

black_valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to black_valentine For This Useful Post:
bgspot (04-20-2018), gthal (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #267  
gthal
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_valentine View Post
At this point, I really do believe it has some major complex camo on the front and rear that's making the mule look longer than it actually is, and as I posted previously in this thread, I believe that exposed rear diffuser is fake and just part of the camo to make the rear appear longer than it is. I mean, once you see the overlay of the C & D side profile (courtesy of FVS) on the side shot of the mule, you can never unsee it. Plus, the overall side profile proportions of the C & D render are inline with the Cadillac Cien concept, which I don't really believe is a coincidence. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I actually HOPE it is similar in length to the C&D rendition. Some of the other renders are so long it looks like a Limo. The C8 in the proportions above are closer to other great mid engine cars like the Gallardo, etc. If it's as long as the camo cars, I'm worried it won't be a very attractive package. IMO, the profile above is beautiful and well proportioned. I would DEFINITELY buy that car.

Last edited by gthal; 04-20-2018 at 09:10 PM.
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gthal For This Useful Post:
bgspot (04-20-2018), Z06NJ (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #268  
bgspot
CF Senior Member

Overall i don't think the design is bad, just like i don't think the the new NSX is bad. Its just when you compare these designs to Huracans, 458/488's, McClarens, and Pagani's etc etc....they do look rather bland. If i had the car above, i'm confident it'd look a lot better than most anything else on the road.

Saw a 488 for the first time a month ago, that shyt was sex on wheels/in motion and it was only moving at 45-50 mph. If the c8 looks half as good as a 488 my c6 is gone and i'm scraping the idea of purchasing a c7 GS/Z06 next year
bgspot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bgspot For This Useful Post:
JerriVette (04-21-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 11:32 PM   #269  
elegant
CF Senior Member

bgspot,

You will be greatly enjoying your 2020 ME Corvette.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #270  
need-for-speed
CF Senior Member

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'07-'09-'10,’17

Quote:
Originally Posted by C7pimp View Post
This render is a hit AND a miss at the same time.

First of all, this render looks stout and bulky. The real car does not and I think even spy images of the camo'd cars clearly show the low, wide stance of the car that this render does not properly present in the least.

The rendered hood looks way tall when in reality the hood is sleek, low and tight.
The lines of the hood and how they flow next to the headlights to the front fenders and continuously along the top of the door is wrong.

The front fascia is close enough. The side inlets are a littler wider and the bottom of the fascia sloping upward and forward at that angle is over done but it's ya, it's pretty close.

The side scoop is pretty dang close, but the bottle shape of the body here is non-exisent. The sleekness and aggressiveness of that shape of a tight waist and sexy hips that is on the real car is not even in this rendering. The waist comes in and makes the side scoop have a wider opening than this render.

That rear end has all of the right elements of the rear bumper, but the proportions are way off and makes it look like a mess. Those tail lights are completely wrong, don't worry. Two large distinct lights fill that entire space just like you expect on a Corvette (they aren't round though, sorry round taillight fanboys). It doesn't have two small lights with a light bar running underneath them. That is ugly as hell and makes the rear look so fat.

Don't worry guys. This render was well and professionally done, but it's not a very accurate or proper representation of the car's design especially on the rear.
I am late to this party. Very nice to have the intel from C7 pimp. C7pimp, can you reveal your connection to the “real thing”?

need-for-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #271  
need-for-speed
CF Senior Member

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerriVette View Post
It'll look sleek in the final product as a Ferrari and the c8 willtear up the twice as expensive Porsche 911..

And my favorite or at least one of my favorite parts is the running costs will be a fraction of the imports...

As a three time corvette owner who daily drives these cars...the durability of GM products amazes me...

One of my friends used to run the PR or customer relations department at BMW and her husband was a long time bmw engineer...and you should see how they loved and admired my z06 a few years back...

Many consumers don't realize how impressed many german firms are with what GM accomplishes...

They don't talk about it in public ...but in private ...they are amazed....

Sure the German brands do a few things better...but what GM does do well...holly crap...it's impressive...

Performance, price , durability.,world class for sure.

So much truth here. GM’s ability to make a lot of HP and make it reliable (and decent MPG) should not be taken for granted.

All reasons I would prefer they stay with an LS based engine. It’s nice to talk about 9,000RPM ENGINES on the internet, but for price, maintenance costs, MPG, and reliability, they are hard to beat. Think about it: if you package an engine where it’s harder to get to to service, do you want it to be a maintenance bitch?

Bottom line: displacement is a much more reliable (with superior BSFC and longevity) than a high reving smaller displacement DOHC engine.

Last edited by need-for-speed; 04-22-2018 at 11:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to need-for-speed For This Useful Post:
JerriVette (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #272  
Chrisrokc
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-for-speed View Post

So much truth here. GM’s ability to make a lot of HP and make it reliable (and decent MPG) should not be taken for granted.

All reasons I would prefer they stay with an LS based engine. It’s nice to talk about 9,000RPM ENGINES on the internet, but for price, maintenance costs, MPG, and reliability, they are hard to beat. Think about it: if you package an engine where it’s harder to get to to service, do you want it to be a maintenance bitch?

Bottom line: displacement is a much more reliable (with superior BSCF and longevity) than a high reving smaller displacement DOHC engine.
To add on to that, the current single in block cam and over head valve setup is lighter than the DOHC setups.

While DOHC is cool... is it really that much better?
Chrisrokc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrisrokc For This Useful Post:
JerriVette (04-21-2018), need-for-speed (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #273  
need-for-speed
CF Senior Member

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
To add on to that, the current single in block cam and over head valve setup is lighter than the DOHC setups.

While DOHC is cool... is it really that much better?
Great point. And I also left off the fact that the pushrod engine sits lower and takes up less room than the DOHC engine. It’s funny listening to those from the other side of the aisle bragging about the fact that their engines spin 8,500 rpm. The way I look at it, they’re engine HAS TO spin 8,500 rpm to make as much power as mine does at 6,500 rpm.

Friction increases with the square of speed. That doesn’t just apply to drag. It also applies to losses within the engine.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #274  
2cnd Chance
CF Senior Member

Default EXACTLY!!! Yawn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 View Post
too plain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
That car looks boring as hell. I don't care if it's faster than a Chiron. I look at it, and my reaction is "eh".

FirstVetteSoon's renders are WAY better.
If they are going Mid-engine it’s time for something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!
2cnd Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #275  
blackcorvette06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_valentine View Post
I would just say that the cover above was from April 2011. The closer the C7 got to release, C & D's render improved drastically. This is from January 2013. Other than minor details (e.g. headlights, front opening trim, hood vents, etc., it looks spot on. They're even showing a pretty accurate rendering of the Z06 (and GS and ZR1) rear brake cooling intake. As far as the body shape/lines and proportions go, they pretty much nailed it. (It's almost as if they had access to the actual CAD files and/or other GM insider information.) I mean, they are depicting things accurately that were not even visible underneath the camo. This gives me some confidence that their latest issue is showing a pretty accurate rendering of the next Vette, including its actual proportions.

this was over a year after Jalopnik leaked the CAD files in late 2011. They got the new ZR1 right after leaked images of the bumber. They have the front and rear of the C8 right after the leaked images. I still believe they are badly guessing on they side profile and side intake.

Last edited by blackcorvette06; 04-22-2018 at 02:46 PM.
blackcorvette06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • May Car & Driver has ME on the cover...
  •