Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May Car & Driver has ME on the cover...

Old 04-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Bunch of haters on here! I'll be one of the first to say it is absolutely STUNNING. What an evolution of styling from the C5 to C6 to the current C7 and now the ME C8.
I'm not sure what you mean by "haters". It is not being a "hater" to say that the magazine's render is not great, or that it does not match the proportions of the actual car. You are acting as if the magazine's render is correct. It is not.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:44 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Bunch of haters on here! I'll be one of the first to say it is absolutely STUNNING. What an evolution of styling from the C5 to C6 to the current C7 and now the ME C8.
Really hate to tell you this, but this pic is some guy's idea of what the C8 MIGHT look if he were the guy to design it. He's looked at a few camo pics where they have intentionally hidden the design and speculated on what might be underneath. The camo guys are not stupid. They know how to fool you. It's kind of like an airbrushed Vogue model. Real people don't look like that. You fall in love at midnight, then wake up the next morning and say, "Oops!"
Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Really hate to tell you this, but this pic is some guy's idea of what the C8 MIGHT look if he were the guy to design it. He's looked at a few camo pics where they have intentionally hidden the design and speculated on what might be underneath. The camo guys are not stupid. They know how to fool you. It's kind of like an airbrushed Vogue model. Real people don't look like that. You fall in love at midnight, then wake up the next morning and say, "Oops!"
...is that how you got that dog ?...

( only kidding buddy, couldn't resist...)
Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

I would say we have basically seen it now more or less.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Really hate to tell you this, but this pic is some guy's idea of what the C8 MIGHT look if he were the guy to design it. "Oops!"
Yeah, ya think? Lol...do you frequently feel the need to explain the punchline that everyone in the room already got?

I’m well aware of what a concept rendering looks like, and until I see it roll out on the Chevy stage, it’s all speculation.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 04-12-2018 at 09:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blb078 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 10:21 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
I would say we have basically seen it now more or less.
Disagree... that's like saying this was the C7. It's all "there" but the actual car was so much more via a myriad of subtle changes.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:42 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
If this is anything like the C7 ZR1 article in C&D, you need to read in-between the lines. Remember, GM wants to be the one to give all the really good details. So the HP, weight, and performance figures are typically a little lower than actual. The renderings are typically a little numbed down from the production car. Everything gets better once GM goes public.
I agree...GM allows car and Driver o show off somewhat close renderings of its new vehicles...

The renderings on car and Driver are obviously off even if you just look at the spy vehicles shot..

The new c8 will be stunning to look at.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:18 PM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I like it!

looks like a good place to start from for future models.

much more subtle than I was expecting which is a good thing.

One thing, I like performance cars full size so to speak, they're much more impressive in real life. This car looks to be full size, it will look great in your garage.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:22 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Remember!

Its looking like a Ferrari is secondary to what it does to a 911!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:32 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Its looking like a Ferrari is secondary to what it does to a 911!
It'll look sleek in the final product as a Ferrari and the c8 willtear up the twice as expensive Porsche 911..

And my favorite or at least one of my favorite parts is the running costs will be a fraction of the imports...

As a three time corvette owner who daily drives these cars...the durability of GM products amazes me...

One of my friends used to run the PR or customer relations department at BMW and her husband was a long time bmw engineer...and you should see how they loved and admired my z06 a few years back...

Many consumers don't realize how impressed many german firms are with what GM accomplishes...

They don't talk about it in public ...but in private ...they are amazed....

Sure the German brands do a few things better...but what GM does do well...holly crap...it's impressive...

Performance, price , durability.,world class for sure.
Big Lebowski (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 457 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I for one sure hope this is no where near the final product. It's way to plain. Look at the 488, look at the Ford GT, look at the Huracan...
Old 04-13-2018, 08:13 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

You’re right. We hate ugly renderings. Sort of like how we hated ugly renderings of the C7, C6, and C5 before. I’m confident the GM design produced will be a a lot better looking than these auto rag renditions used to sell magazines.

Waiting for a Jalopnik leak...

Last edited by MSG C5; 04-13-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:46 AM
Timz16
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
This render is a hit AND a miss at the same time.

First of all, this render looks stout and bulky. The real car does not and I think even spy images of the camo'd cars clearly show the low, wide stance of the car that this render does not properly present in the least.

The rendered hood looks way tall when in reality the hood is sleek, low and tight.
The lines of the hood and how they flow next to the headlights to the front fenders and continuously along the top of the door is wrong.

The front fascia is close enough. The side inlets are a littler wider and the bottom of the fascia sloping upward and forward at that angle is over done but it's ya, it's pretty close.

The side scoop is pretty dang close, but the bottle shape of the body here is non-exisent. The sleekness and aggressiveness of that shape of a tight waist and sexy hips that is on the real car is not even in this rendering. The waist comes in and makes the side scoop have a wider opening than this render.

That rear end has all of the right elements of the rear bumper, but the proportions are way off and makes it look like a mess. Those tail lights are completely wrong, don't worry. Two large distinct lights fill that entire space just like you expect on a Corvette (they aren't round though, sorry round taillight fanboys). It doesn't have two small lights with a light bar running underneath them. That is ugly as hell and makes the rear look so fat.

Don't worry guys. This render was well and professionally done, but it's not a very accurate or proper representation of the car's design especially on the rear.
So glad you weighed in on this. While the side scoop appears correct, the rest of the car is bloated and out of proportion to your sketch. My only experience with a mid engine car is selling the Fiero(!) when I just got out of college. There is absolutely no reason for the hood to be that tall on a mid engine car. I remember from the driver's seat, it almost seemed like there was no hood at all. I am hopeful the real deal will be much closer to your sketch.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Sorry. If that’s it I’m not a buyer. I’ll take my deposit back and move on.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:12 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS2K
Their artist rendering is stunning...and damn close to the real thing I bet.
ALmost as ugly as the C7
Mcrider (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Remember!

The C8 will just be finishing up with the wholesale version of what the 488 and 720 started.
The RE needs to finally go!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:36 AM
TRT SR
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 102 Posts

This car will be a game changer for GM and they know it. When it comes out I know we will love it and the performance will be amazing and have several different power levels and price. congrats to all who have come up with the great renderings, which in my opinion are way better than Car & Driver! Now, if we could get a teaser on the inside!!!

Get notified of new replies

To May Car & Driver has ME on the cover...

Old 04-13-2018, 11:11 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz16
So glad you weighed in on this. While the side scoop appears correct, the rest of the car is bloated and out of proportion to your sketch. My only experience with a mid engine car is selling the Fiero(!) when I just got out of college. There is absolutely no reason for the hood to be that tall on a mid engine car. I remember from the driver's seat, it almost seemed like there was no hood at all. I am hopeful the real deal will be much closer to your sketch.
The only reason I can surmise to to give the American public a place for the their golf clubs.

An exceptional feature of every Corvette (C3-to present) is their storage capability. Unlike so many others, you can use a Corvette as a only car (single of DINK) and never feel like can't do most things you could w/ a coupe or sedan (grocery shop, Costco run, etc.,). Mid engine eliminates that cavernous hatch area and leaves only what can be found under the hood.

Guess we'll have to wait for the unveiling to to know for sure exactly what GM did or didn't do.

I for one hope the proportions of the car look right and the body has some pleasing/flowing lines. Also interested to see how GM provides the storage that us Corvette owners have become accustom to.

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 04-14-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:58 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Still has waaaay too big a butt! Why can’t GM style a Corvette with a sexy @$$ like Jaguar or Aston Martin?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:34 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default GM Stylists are butt challenged

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Still has waaaay too big a butt! Why can’t GM style a Corvette with a sexy @$$ like Jaguar or Aston Martin?
I don't get it either. Starting with the C5's crazy expanse of vast, limitless butt. The C6 toned it down only a bit. And the C7 disguises it with what amounts to camo-by-design.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: May Car & Driver has ME on the cover...