Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May Car & Driver has ME on the cover...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 04:24 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default I too, fear the creeping...

Originally Posted by LouieM
Amen. The real thing has GOT to be more interesting looking than THAT.
GM design disease--"Conservatitus."

But there are reasons to be cautiously optimistic. Let's see if FVS can wrest the Pimp from GM's goon squad.

Nice Stingray, btw. Mine's a '66 here in NorCal.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:35 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,252 Posts

I LIKE IT
Old 04-28-2018, 11:01 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Based on the many spy pictures, the more I look at C&D’s rendering, the more I am struck by four things. I am confident GM will “fix” all four.

1) Too bland;
2) Front hood is too high and the bulge is too wide;
3) The upwards curve in rear fender is no where as tall and bold as it will be;
4) The rear fender needs to have more of a “coke bottle”/C3 shape from the side view, but also in a bird’s eye view.
As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I really like the styling of the front hood in the rendering and I really like the upward curve in rear fender although the spy shots don’t any upward curves.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 04-29-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:45 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default I think there is little doubt

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I really like the readings styling of the front hood nice. Also really like the upwards curve in rear fender although the spy shots don’t any upward curves.
The front hood will not look like it's inflated, but be quite low and taut. No promises on anything else. And my recommendation is you wait to be pleasantly surprised by GM stylists and hope the dramatic C7 was not a one-time aberration.
The following users liked this post:
elegant (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:27 PM
black_valentine
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Just updated the other image for fun (note cars are not exactly to scale with each other). Threw in a few concepts and the R8. I included the Lamborghini Asterion concept, because it has some similarities to the C & D rendering including the door edge leading up to the side intake scoop. I really like the C & D render of the Vette. In addition to obvious historic Corvette influences, it has a futuristic feel (reminds me of a vehicle you might find in Tron), a chopped top all-American hot-rod look, a sports bike vibe, and maybe even a little bit of F-22 Raptor and/or F-35 Lightning II influence.

Credit to FVS for C & D side profile image; other car pics found online.

Last edited by black_valentine; 04-29-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:50 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
The front hood will not look like it's inflated, but be quite low and taut. No promises on anything else. And my recommendation is you wait to be pleasantly surprised by GM stylists and hope the dramatic C7 was not a one-time aberration.
Thank you IronV!

As I posted earlier on another thread, but I believe worth repeating for those who had not seen it... I talked with Kirk Bennion at an earlier BASH. No one was in earshot, and we were standing with a GS in front of us, a SR on one side, and a Z06 on the other side. I said to Kirk, that “I am not fishing for information, but want you to know (saying this while gesturing to the three beauties all around us), you knocked it out of the park with the boldness of the C7, and I/we hope the next generation Corvette, whenever it will be, will be just as bold.”

His response, with his wry smile as he said it...

Originally Posted by Kirk
John, at some point there will be a next generation Corvette, and it too will be bold.
I am excited! I do not have any doubts that the ME will knock many folks (including my) socks off. And I am equally fine that even after a coupe of years of folks at least getting used to its changed proportions with the cabin being so much more forward, that 30+ % of traditional Corvette owners will never want one.. With the other 70% remaining “in heat.”

Last edited by elegant; 04-29-2018 at 08:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IronV (05-10-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:01 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
GM design disease--"Conservatitus."
I agree, but here's what happens when GM branches out of "conservative". Enter the 2019 Camaro SS. I'll take conservative, thank you.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:33 PM
nailsinourbacks
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by black_valentine

Credit to FVS for C & D side profile image; other car pics found online.
Great pic, thanks.

I love it this rendering and the info that comes with it.

I could use a little more front bumper overhang but the proportions give me hope.

I don't fit in many sports including a C7. My fortunate problem is determined by which sports cars I can fit my big-*** noggin in and so far the 911 is the only car that my wife approves that I can wear a helmet comfortably. I've sat in a handful of ME cars; R8, MR2, NSX, 4c, Elise, Evora, i8, Cayman and none of them work with me. The Exige had the most room but is a one-way toy.

These renderings give me hope for a mid-engine sports car. I'm drooling for a DCT with 500 hp from a naturally aspirated V8 under $90k. Right now the next best thing is the $135k Audi R8 RSW with a 520hp 5.2 liter V10 which I don't fit in. Hearing the C7.R's at the IMSA race in Long Beach put a grin on my face, that's worth half the price of admission. Dry-sump LT5.5 sounds like a great start for track days and long service cycles for the shade tree mechanic. No need to worry about the excess heat from the superchargers/turbochargers. Let's pray it has good air flow for brakes and isn't sporting anything ceramic on the base car. Would be nice if the motor comes directly from the R program; some great and stout motors (Mezger, 427, M88, etc.) came directly from top-tier racing programs and it further differentiates itself from the 'regular' Corvette cars. Uncork the exhaust and bang-off those gears with the T-top off

Also lets my wife drive us home after a few beers.

Hell with typical GM discounts if this could be $75k + TTL I think I'd even put my money where my mouth is.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:54 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Front/side renderings look great. Rear looks like crap, makes it look like a Camaro.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

That is gorgeous. It looks like the love child of a Ferrari California and a McLaren 570.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:48 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I agree, but here's what happens when GM branches out of "conservative". Enter the 2019 Camaro SS. I'll take conservative, thank you.

Yikes, that really DOESN'T work.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:28 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Creeping Conservatism

Originally Posted by Michael A

I get your point. I don't consider this creative, edgy, or original. It's a Camaro with a Lexus front end grafted onto it. And boy is it ugly. This is an Aztec.

Much better examples of GM successfully straying from conservative is the previous two generations of Camaro, the C2, C3 and C7. Same for the "art and design" Caddies.

Last edited by IronV; 05-10-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: May Car & Driver has ME on the cover...