Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Corvette Bash

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Except it's very different this time. People have seen the car in various forms

We never had this before.
Oh, I hear ya alright

Old 04-17-2018, 11:43 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
Fill in the blank:

"The automotive press is reporting that the new Corvette

Old 04-17-2018, 11:44 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Oh, I hear ya alright

Lol, very funny.

Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing because you wanna come in and troll or...?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

I've been here 12 more years than you, but calling me a troll? I'm showing you examples of the hype from years past. That's trolling

It will happen when it happens... and not a day before.

I want a ME Corvette to be produced; I won't ever be able to afford one though.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:58 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

I've been here 12 more years than you, but calling me a troll? I'm showing you examples of the hype from years past. That's trolling

Tenure doesn't omit you from being a troll at any given time.

"It will happens when it happens"

Ya, and it's happening. Look around, just a little bit...
Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

mike, do you have any friends that you trust that have looked at all the information available online about the upcoming mid engine corvette? you are denying what is obviously true. can you find one reasonable source that supports your position? no reasonable person who has read all the information available doubts that the car exists and is currently being tested on u.s. highways.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ngine+corvette
Old 04-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Him and his girlfriend have some emotional problems.

Last edited by Shaka; 04-17-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:00 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by senah
mike, do you have any friends that you trust that have looked at all the information available online about the upcoming mid engine corvette?
thanks for being kind. My original reply was about the subject - not any posters. Some (not you) try an old Jedi-Mind-Trick and put the emphasis on a person... to try and side-step the subject line if it's not in line with their thinking.

you are denying what is obviously true.
That there will be a C8 at all... or that it will be mid-engined?

can you find one reasonable source that supports your position?
can you find an official source that supports the C8 being mid-engined?

there are none; it's all speculation. This speculation can be fun... in that it may become true someday.

I have heard this "mid-engine" specific ever since Dave McLellan became Chief Engineer over Corvette back in the mid 1970's. People were certain then the next Corvette (the C4) would be mid-engined. There were artists drawings, eye-witness renderings, covered cars driving around. There were covered in Autoweek and other publications. This "certainty" happened every 4-6 years... and still is. AutoWeek finally penned an editorial on 'Enough of the next ME Vette'... that this publication said they weren't going to cover these guesses anymore - until there's something official to go on.

no reasonable person who has read all the information available doubts that the car exists and is currently being tested on u.s. highways.
I have not doubted that mules/research projects/one-off test vehicles exist; please don't twist my words on this. But are these spotted rides:
* the next Corvette?
* a mid engined next Corvette?

remains to be seen. If it happens, it will happen. There is no negativity being realistic; especially with all the past hype about this subject over the last 40 years.

Back in 2002... "the next Corvette - C6 " that everyone was certain of ended up being the
Cadillac XLR.

Be cautious out there. Speak of what might be with the zest of a true car enthusiast, but not speak in certaintees (unless you are Tadge himself).
Old 04-17-2018, 05:46 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

thanks for being kind. My original reply was about the subject - not any posters. Some (not you) try an old Jedi-Mind-Trick and put the emphasis on a person... to try and side-step the subject line if it's not in line with their thinking.

That there will be a C8 at all... or that it will be mid-engined?

can you find an official source that supports the C8 being mid-engined?

there are none; it's all speculation. This speculation can be fun... in that it may become true someday.

I have heard this "mid-engine" specific ever since Dave McLellan became Chief Engineer over Corvette back in the mid 1970's. People were certain then the next Corvette (the C4) would be mid-engined. There were artists drawings, eye-witness renderings, covered cars driving around. There were covered in Autoweek and other publications. This "certainty" happened every 4-6 years... and still is. AutoWeek finally penned an editorial on 'Enough of the next ME Vette'... that this publication said they weren't going to cover these guesses anymore - until there's something official to go on.

I have not doubted that mules/research projects/one-off test vehicles exist; please don't twist my words on this. But are these spotted rides:
* the next Corvette?
* a mid engined next Corvette?

remains to be seen. If it happens, it will happen. There is no negativity being realistic; especially with all the past hype about this subject over the last 40 years.

Back in 2002... "the next Corvette - C6 " that everyone was certain of ended up being the
Cadillac XLR.

Be cautious out there. Speak of what might be with the zest of a true car enthusiast, but not speak in certaintees (unless you are Tadge himself).
to me, it is certain, barring ww3 or the end of the world.

hundreds of photos, cad drawings, sightings of camouflage covered midengine cars on the highway matching the photos, pictures of front and rear fascias taken inside the factory at b.g., and confirmation at the recent las vegas chevy dealers' meeting of the existence of the car.

https://www.google.com/search?client....0._Vg8xIKeIt0

"Expect the production car to debut sometime later this year, with sales beginning in 2019."

Last edited by senah; 04-17-2018 at 05:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fasttoys (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:14 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Like some of our other threads (such as the 2020 ME will have a V6), a small minority persist in repeating info not based on facts nor on past precedent, in this case their thinking even a 0.00001% morsel about the ME will be mentioned/shared at this year’s BASH.

I just want to insure that no one is going or not going to this year’s BASH because they think that a ME info-micro-fragment will be shared, for I would hate for anyone to go there with even a scentilla of such hope and be totally disappointed they learned absolutely nothing.

Go this year because you want to reconnect with your good Corvette friends, you like a mini-vacation, and/or you want to learn more about/stand next to the ZR1. And go because you want to attend other presentations, such as to me the most important one of all, Kai Spande’s Thursday 3:00 PM presentation on “What’s New At The Bowling Green Assembly Plant” (my highest priority attending), to shop at the Corvette store, to see the Museum’s exhibits, and/or you want to eat again at Montana Grille, Raffertys and Longhorn.

Please don’t go wishing for even a ME tidbit however. That ain’t happening.

Last edited by elegant; 04-17-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well, Mike does make his case pretty well IMO. I happen to "think" there is a ME coming, and in the relative near future. But, there may not be enough substantial, legitimate and reliable corroboration for that POV. We will see. Maybe something is at The Bash, maybe not. Maybe at Jan, 2019 NAIAS in Detroit, maybe not.

We'll find out soon enough. Don't knock Mike or his opinion so much. I feel certain that he will be one of the first to come at some point AFTER the ME makes its appearance as a production vehicle in the lineup for Corvette. That's my opinion.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:39 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Detroit 2018 autoshow Is a possibility. Last rumor was one show in October and the. A dealer oriented show in the traditional January date slot.

That means the c8 would or could release at the October show.

CES in January is tearing up the automakers as they try and evolve into tech companies...

October weather is better in Detroit than January and it would eclipse the
a Show in November.

Who knows what will end up happening yet the October Detroit show would be an earlier release of the c8 show car...
Old 04-18-2018, 12:49 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Detroit 2018 autoshow Is a possibility. Last rumor was one show in October and the. A dealer oriented show in the traditional January date slot.

That means the c8 would or could release at the October show.

CES in January is tearing up the automakers as they try and evolve into tech companies...

October weather is better in Detroit than January and it would eclipse the
a Show in November.

Who knows what will end up happening yet the October Detroit show would be an earlier release of the c8 show car...
To me it looks like the stage is all set for NAIAS in Detroit. GM has revealed and refreshed everything else in the line up, so there's nothing else left but a show stopping Corvette. As Mike pointed out, they have been talking about, dreaming about, and rumoring about a mid engine Corvette for decades.

If they are going to build this car, and it looks like they will, they will reveal it to the biggest, widest, audience possible, and it will be where it all started, Detroit. If they make this anything less than the hugest event in GM history, someone in marketing needs to retire.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:48 PM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

GM can deny it to the death but there is a ME car running around and Corvette is due a model refresh by GM's own statements.

The Bash seems to be receiving less hype than usual. Traditionally it's been a big event for Corvette. I'm still betting on a big reveal with the actual car not available for a while.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:26 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

Not to speak for Mike, but IMHO the point he is making is that while we may have seen the best evidence in 50 years that GM is nearing production on a serious ME super car, here's what we still really don't know for a fact:

1. Is it a Chevrolet?
2. Is it a Corvette model?
3. Is it the C8?
4. Is this the end of the FE Vette?
5. Why are they expanding BG production capacity?

Nate at Van Bortel has made probably the most compelling and legitimate claims so I'm leaning towards "next generation of Corvette" as he mentioned, but not sure what else will transpire.

Given that the BG factory is tooling up for a significant increase in production capacity, it makes sense that after 50 years of market segment success that a FE C7 (Stingray) would evolve and continue life as a C8. Given the success that Porsche, Ferrari and others have had with multiple platforms, the addition of a upper-scale ME (Mantaray) also makes sense. Add a hybrid Corvette X-over (E-Ray) and maybe a Solstice replacement (Skate/Mako) and you have a nice evolution of the Corvette DNA.

On the other hand, the ME could be the C8 and the additional BG production capacity is for Cadillac....

It's been entertaining speculating about what is coming but I don't think any of the above questions will be answered at the Blast - but hey, who knows?

Last edited by tomlink; 04-18-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Let’s step back and dissect some of the above.

*c7pimp and others who have seen the car, have said it is a Chevrolet.

*BGA is not tooling up capacity, in fact the opposite down from 40,500 units/year (U/Y) before last fall’s re-tooling, to now 33,000 U/Y — both with max overtime. Source is BGA Plant Manager Kai Spande. Video of his presentation still on this forum and on You Tube (last August 29th presentation). As Kai specifically said regarding the downsized capacity, “as a result of these changes, we will be have a Plant that is rightsized for an entire generation’s demand.

As for the flat-earth society members, the ME will not offer a six cylinder motor, we will not hear the ME even mentioned at the BASH, and its price will be very, very reasonable — surprisingly so.

As to the last few questions raised, will the C7 be produced along side of it, will the ME the C8 (and vice-versa), and lastly whether it will be a Corvette model or a stand alone, the jury is still out IMO. Hopefully, someone else has definitive info on these latter questions.

Last edited by elegant; 04-18-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:35 PM
Chrjones2
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Let’s step back and dissect some of the above.

*c7pimp and others who have seen the car, have said it is a Chevrolet.

*BGA is not tooling up capacity, in fact the opposite down from 40,500 units/year (U/Y) before last fall’s re-tooling, to now 33,000 U/Y — both with max overtime. Source is BGA Plant Manager Kai Spande. Video of his presentation still on this forum and on You Tube (last August 29th presentation). As Kai specifically said regarding the downsized capacity, “as a result of these changes, we will be have a Plant that is rightsized for an entire generation’s demand.

As for the flat-earth society members, the ME will not offer a six cylinder motor, we will not hear the ME even mentioned at the BASH, and its price will be very, very reasonable — surprisingly so.

As to the last few questions raised, will the C7 be produced along side of it, will the ME the C8 (and vice-versa), and lastly whether it will be a Corvette model or a stand alone, the jury is still out IMO. Hopefully, someone else has definitive info on these latter questions.
I hope its price is very reasonable

There's a guy posting in another thread in the c7 section that goes by the name "LT1 Z51". Says he worked on the mule and iver phases of the c7. He seems pretty adamant that the ME wont be the c8 and that the c8 will be front engine as a 2021 or 2022 model.

Last edited by Chrjones2; 04-18-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:12 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Chrjones2
I hope its price is very reasonable

There's a guy posting in another thread in the c7 section that goes by the name "LT1 Z51". Says he worked on the mule and iver phases of the c7. He seems pretty adamant that the ME wont be the c8 and that the c8 will be front engine as a 2021 or 2022 model.
LT1 Z51 is connected, and I have found lots of his posts in the past which turned out to be correct later.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:46 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

There will be no official mention of a mid engine vehicle at the Bash next weekend. All of the signs that may cause you to think that it might happen have happened before other big reveals (i.e. 7th gen Corvette), and the Bash just isn't the place for a big reveal. Besides, I haven't received my personal invitation from GM to the reveal yet.
The following users liked this post:
Perf n Restore (04-26-2018)

Quick Reply: The Corvette Bash