Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:15 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

A) I agree w. all of this post esp. the underlined part! Thanks to C7 and FVS

Originally Posted by got2bblu
Excellent work FVS. Thanks to you and C7pimp for all your hard work. This render belongs on the cover of a magazine. I like how you worked the headlights into the body lines on the front end (like the C7). The coke bottle shape of the body makes the side scoop much better.

B) Just remember re the Camaro pillbox-slit, it's a function of two things, not just the roof height: it's also a function of the door height which creates that narrow gun-slit feeling. If the roof is a half-inch higher and the upper door ledge an inch lower it will make a very big difference.

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
I had the same question/complaint. Based on this shot of the beta, I'd guess the render's greenhouse is definitely a bit too Camaro pillbox-slit low. A minor adjustment would get the greenhouse a bit airier, which I believe will be correct...and much nicer looking...
C) I think that's a great idea to have started a NEW thread for the latest in renderings rather than a continuation of the prior threads! Thank you for the effort and thoughts. As said below, it keeps our interest going.

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
Again amazing artwork FVS, congrats..... and still totally befuddled how the heck you get all those reflections/lighting so correct working in 2D. Yeah I'm impressed with the car, but as someone who works in 3D, I'm mystified by your artistry (reflecting my lack of knowledge of your methods). Really looking forward to the side view. Glad you started a fresh thread. Now I'm hitting the site every few hours... trying to be patient. Thanks for the entertainment.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:38 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

If you look at the A pillars of the spy photos they are not radiused....they are straight..

If you do another rendering of which your efforts are amazing...you might want to include straight A pillars...maybe it's just the lighting you posted on the drivers side that creates the appearance of a radiused curve ...

The passenger side does appear to be a straight piece...

I do think the angle of the windshield of the spy photos is more upright...

You might try one where the A pillar is not body colored..GM might continue its tradition of a black A pillar...although you might be right and GM finally creates a body colored A pillar.

I'm not being negative...I'm just trying to be constructive.

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-19-2018 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

You are a good artist but you can't draw cars. You don't understand perspective and automotive dynamics which include aerodynamics.

1. Not centered and too high. Nose has a point.

2. Not a flat surface here.
3. These two lines are parallel to each.

4. You still can't come to terms with this section.

5.This surface is critical. Understand it.

6 and 7. Guessing location of intake. Both areas require a low pressure destination. Back of the glass would be more suitable for combustion intake. The large side scoop would perform the duty of the intake on top of the rear quarter along with others.
8.Wrong curve.

9. No such aero device.
10. Way too high.
I'll trace this dwg and fix things.

Last edited by Shaka; 04-19-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:50 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
We worked of the C/D render which had a ridiculously high and bulged hood. We tried to bring it down as much as we could. It's not that easy. Also, it's obviously not a heat extractor...

Almost all ME are plain, flat and straight?

Of the cars you have shown...how many have a front trunk, and if so equipped, how large of a front trunk?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

if the C7 has the active aero as we believe, you won't see the excessive look of spoilers on the car, at least when standing still....
Old 04-19-2018, 12:32 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

I would not refer to any of those vehicles "plain, flat and straight."
Old 04-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ltomn
I would not refer to any of those vehicles "plain, flat and straight."
C7pimp and FVS spew out the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. That's saying something for this forum. Fake news that they make up. Pittifull.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

We worked of the C/D render which had a ridiculously high and bulged hood. We tried to bring it down as much as we could. It's not that easy. Also, it's obviously not a heat extractor...

Almost all ME are plain, flat and straight?

Nice counterpoint/examples. But was the greenhouse of what you saw, which is clearly much less airy than the examples above, really that squished in relation to the height of the C8's waist? I gotta tell you, I hope you missed that one by an inch or two...

I looked again and i do NOT think is merely a matter of perspective...
Old 04-19-2018, 02:37 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

The only thing accurate with these pics is the wheels because that's what we clearly can see (which are hideous btw). Look at the side windows, that's looking nothing like the camo car.

There is clearly a panel separating the side windows when you look at the camo car. Look at it, right behind the drivers and pass window there is a large panel separating the windows.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:32 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by badass1g
The only thing accurate with these pics is the wheels because that's what we clearly can see (which are hideous btw). Look at the side windows, that's looking nothing like the camo car.

There is clearly a panel separating the side windows when you look at the camo car. Look at it, right behind the drivers and pass window there is a large panel separating the windows.
According to sources, there is a rear side window “shape” as depicted in the renderings in that area. Whether it is an actual window or in air inlet is unknow at the moment.

Also according to sources, the rear spoiler and nose are reminiscent of the current ZR1 which is why they are depicted as shown. Their final configuration may vary.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 04-19-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:45 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Just a quick comparison shot

PCK1221 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 07:19 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

side view please !!!!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:58 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

If you copy a photo taken with the wrong lens, you get this result. Phoneys.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:02 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Cool!

I was hating on the whole rear engine thing, but this is really cool, I hope it looks like this, I'll be a convert.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:58 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Many of us have been asked with our C7’s, “is that a Ferrari?

Now we will additionally get, “is that a McLaren,” “what kind of European car is that,” and/or similar. Of course we get these questions from not car people, but they are coming many more times in the future.

Last edited by elegant; 04-19-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Many of us have been asked with our C7’s, “is that a Ferrari?

Now we will additionally get, “is that a McLaren,” “what kind of European car is that,” and/or similar. Of course we get these questions from not car people, but they are coming many more times in the future.
“Pretty sure that’s a Lambo dude”
Old 04-19-2018, 11:44 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

So based on your comparison above, doesn't it look to you that the one we've actually seen on the street (below) has a greenhouse that looks more like the C7 than the latest render? We've also seen side views that show the A-pillar is pretty straight (like the C7) and the side glass looks to be about the same height as the C7 as well.

I hate to sound like a broken record but there are dozens of clear shots of the C8 canopy to crib from!!!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 04-19-2018 at 11:46 PM.
JerriVette (04-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings

Old 04-20-2018, 07:28 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

The renderings are fabulous as I'm sure the final production vehicle will be.

I do happen to think a new rendering adjusting the windshield rake and slightly raising the roofline slightly would be more accurate as well.

There is not much but the windshield rake is slightly exaggerated in the sketches which always happens in sketches of all vehicles...it's just a few degrees and it's as atomic Fred mentions based off the spy shots we ve seen..

The windshield rake angle more closely follows the previous c7 gen corvette and from a drivers standpoint it's actually preferred...

Those super raked windshields like in the fourth gen f body was kind of awkward to drive for the first few miles...

Nothing a driver couldn't get used to but it was awkward....same for the first generation of GM minivans....the trans port etc...

Stylistically though those fast raked windshields look fabulous.....

I believe the same angle as the c7 would be a nice compromise
Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 AM
Timz16
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The renderings are fabulous as I'm sure the final production vehicle will be.

I do happen to think a new rendering adjusting the windshield rake and slightly raising the roofline slightly would be more accurate as well.

There is not much but the windshield rake is slightly exaggerated in the sketches which always happens in sketches of all vehicles...it's just a few degrees and it's as atomic Fred mentions based off the spy shots we ve seen..

The windshield rake angle more closely follows the previous c7 gen corvette and from a drivers standpoint it's actually preferred...

Those super raked windshields like in the fourth gen f body was kind of awkward to drive for the first few miles...

Nothing a driver couldn't get used to but it was awkward....same for the first generation of GM minivans....the trans port etc...

Stylistically though those fast raked windshields look fabulous.....

I believe the same angle as the c7 would be a nice compromise
I respectfully disagree. If you increase the rake/apparent size of the greenhouse/windshield, the front hood height will lower, which does seem more consistent with the camo photos at least to me. But I understand fvs has limitations on what he can do with the C&D derived basis for this render.

Last edited by Timz16; 04-20-2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: correction
JerriVette (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:04 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Timz16
I respectfully disagree. If you increase the rake/apparent size of the greenhouse/windshield, the front hood height will lower, which does seem more consistent with the camo photos at least to me. But I understand fvs has limitations on what he can do with the C&D derived basis for this render.
I hope your right...a fast rake windshield really does allow the c8 to enter the exotic car world Fromm a styling standpoint...

It's just kind when I look at the real spy shots the windshield looks more production c7 like in appearance...which isn't a bad thing either...

I wonder if for the first time in several decades if ever will GM make the A pillar body colored..as depicted in these amazing sketches..

Somehow GM tends to find small ways to cut costs with black plastic covered A pillars for that floating roof look that translates well when the targa roof is removed for open air motoring...

I'd like to know if anyone who has seen the actual vehicle can offer their insight to our fabulous forum sketch artists...

Give a black A pillar design a shot for us to preview...

And again there is no way I am saying anything but thank you to our forum artists because their work has been amazing

Quick Reply: 2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings