Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:55 AM
nexxis
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-92
I wouldn't bet on that. You're probably looking closer to $90k. That's just a guess though.
$90k?! I can count on one hand how many of my friends aged 40-55 can afford a $90k car (or even *want* to spend that on a 2-seater, esp since people are having kids later and need a 4-door)
Old 04-27-2018, 12:39 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-92
I think this would be the spyder version. If you look at the top of the B-pillar the roof sits on top of it. If it were just a targa, I would imagine the roof panel would lay flat before the B-pillar rather than sit on top of it as it does in this pic.
There is a rear panel line to the targa roof that is laying flat before the B-pillar. Below is an image that highlights it with red lines.

The area you're describing is inside the green oval.

Interestingly, the aft end of the B-pillar abruptly ends, almost as if the buttresses are not there. Take a look at rear deck this pic. No buttresses.

Last edited by DanSavage; 04-27-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:17 PM
jkennedy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ I concur. The green circle shows an indent at the top of what I'm assuming will be the rear 1/4 window (ala C7). It is not flush and is indented so perhaps there is an air intake at the rear of that little side window, if it is a window at all.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:59 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

And, the aft targa roof line is visible on the R&T mule photo below.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by dexterkatt
"All I can say is, let's hope not."

Let us hope not? You have a mouse in your pocket?
I think by 'us' I meant myself and anyone else with at least 1 functioning eyeball under the age of 98.

It won't be that ugly, I'm 110% sure of that.

Designed by the 1984 MR2 designer or what? Sheesh.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:57 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

guys,,GM could be driving around in 430-488 Ferraris,with covers,how would anybody know????????????
Old 04-27-2018, 08:35 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
guys,,GM could be driving around in 430-488 Ferraris,with covers,how would anybody know????????????
Is this sarcasm? Have you seen what is exposed in the spy pics? Not even remotely Ferrari...
Old 04-27-2018, 08:53 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by DanSavage
There is a rear panel line to the targa roof that is laying flat before the B-pillar. Below is an image that highlights it with red lines.

The area you're describing is inside the green oval.

Interestingly, the aft end of the B-pillar abruptly ends, almost as if the buttresses are not there. Take a look at rear deck this pic. No buttresses.

...now you're just scaring me...

It's been hiding in plain sight all along...

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 04-27-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:04 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
...now

It's been hiding in plain sight all along...

Easy to see that's going to be a retractable hardtop which will be awesome...

The question becomes will it be all corvettes or will there be a hardtop fixed roof version or a soft fabric top?

I say no...only one version..one with a retractable roof only...

The 3 cut lines on the roof in the photo show it's a retractable roof...

Do you want power or manual might be an option choice but it's doubtful it will be anything but power...

I'd buy the manual too but I realize I'm in the minority so it's not a big deal..I'll pay the extra money and just pay the extra coin as it'll be in my opinion a standard feature,,,

Jmo

Thanks for posting these spy shots..lts been a long time and many of us forgot about them...

Roof off capability is an integral part of corvette ownership for many of us...

Off topic ramblings...beyond this point....

----------

Funny as my first corvette targa I rarely took off the roof, by the time my second new corvette was purchased I chose the fixed roof corvette z06 without a second thought...now on my third corvette I couldn't imagine not being able to leave the targa roof off all summer and most of spring and fall..

When it comes time for my opdourth new corvette....roof off is an integral part of corvette ownership for many...myself included...

I laugh now as I considered other brands...that I not the sharpest tool in the shed, I may be a slow learner sometimes but once I figure out what I want and like I'm good to go...

Roof off capability is for many synomous with corvette ownership experience...

Air conditioning blowing, the sun shining, driving around the seven lakes or bear mountain for me is what's corvette ownership is about...

I love this car!

C8 even more so since the motors out back...

GM finally delivered the good...

I'll smile just thinking back forty odd years as a teenager looking at those magazines of the day thinking the rear mid engine corvette we were promised finally arrived...

I'm half kidding around but the storyline does make me smile...

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-28-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by DanSavage
WRT the topic of removable roofs, it looks to me like a removable targa top a la C5, C6 & C7.

It could be an automatic roof like a Ferrari 458, but I don't see a secondary panel line that would indicate to me that the targa is split into two sections.

If it is removable they would have to make the front trunk big enough to store it.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:45 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Could we be looking at something like this?
In some of the latest spy images the rear deck and buttresses seem to be very narrow and the deck very long.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 04-29-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:37 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I believe the car cladding has big lumps of foam at the end of the tail to throw us all off. No way the rear deck is that long and clumsy looking.
The following users liked this post:
black_valentine (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:45 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I believe the car cladding has big lumps of foam at the end of the tail to throw us all off. No way the rear deck is that long and clumsy looking.
The tail and overhang is as long as the spy images show since we can see the tailpipe and rear facia exposed.

As for what is actually on that rear deck, according to c7pimp at least one version looks “similar” to the C&D rear image.

To my eye, there seems to be two different mules running around. One with a rear spoiler and one without. One of them seems to be a spider or vert version.

Hope we get some new information soon !
Old 04-28-2018, 06:45 PM
black_valentine
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

The tail and overhang is as long as the spy images show since we can see the tailpipe and rear facia exposed.
I don't think that's the real bottom fascia/diffuser. I believe that's part of the camo to trick us into believing the rear extends that far out. The tail pipes themselves do not extend as far out as the center of that visible diffuser. I think that's part of the illusion they're purposely trying to create. Take a look again at the spy photos showing various angles of the rear and you might see what I'm trying to explain.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:02 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default That would be really fun, different, and exciting.

Could we be looking at something like this?
In some of the latest sky images the rear deck and mattresses seem to be very narrow and the deck very long.

Which is why GM would never do it.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:07 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Depends on what you mean by "rear image"

As for what is actually on that rear deck, according to c7pimp at least one version looks “similar” to the C&D rear image.

To my eye, there seems to be two different mules running around. One with a rear spoiler and one without. One of them seems to be a spider or vert version.

Hope we get some new information soon !

The CD rear image shows a standard glass fastback and one butt (literally) ugly rear end. This is typical of recent GM design hallmarks.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:36 AM
nexxis
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by black_valentine
I don't think that's the real bottom fascia/diffuser. I believe that's part of the camo to trick us into believing the rear extends that far out. The tail pipes themselves do not extend as far out as the center of that visible diffuser. I think that's part of the illusion they're purposely trying to create.
I’ve been saying that all along. The camouflaging video about the ‘19 Camaro, GM even admits using additional body pieces under the covers to distort the actual shape. And you know how opinionated Corvette enthusiasts are about the tail lights. After all, the C7 rear is extremely different than C6 rear, so you know they’re doing SOMETHING cool and different with that rear end.

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings

Old 04-29-2018, 08:20 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Most rear mid engine vehicles have a slightly longer rear deck than the traditional front mid engine design...

I would expect something similiar to the Ferrari 488 and Lamborghini hurricane in proportions...

I very much like the mclaren 570 design and expect GM to follow similiar proportions to these vehicles I've mentioned.

We will know much more in the next five months or so...

This going to be a home run for GM...

It's been a forty year story about to hit the showrooms..

I think guys with c5s, c6s and c7 s will sell their prized possessions at very attractive pricing to get their hands on a c8.

The driving experience should be dramatically different to warrant the sale of their prized possession...

This is just my opinion with no facts to back it up.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:16 AM
kmjs
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If this is it, I'm putting the Turbo S up for sale.........
Old 04-29-2018, 11:04 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nexxis
I’ve been saying that all along. The camouflaging video about the ‘19 Camaro, GM even admits using additional body pieces under the covers to distort the actual shape. And you know how opinionated Corvette enthusiasts are about the tail lights. After all, the C7 rear is extremely different than C6 rear, so you know they’re doing SOMETHING cool and different with that rear end.
I agree, they could be trying to fool us with additional padding or body panels, but if you look at elite CAD drawings and paint shop rear facia it can’t be that far off. As has been said here before, it is not uncommon for mid engine designs with “large” engines to have longer rear overhang’s.

There is definitely painting over the rear facia, but we do know what that looks like. I am sure the final version will be much tighter and sleeker looking

Quick Reply: 2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings