Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 12:27 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcorvette06
Here's Motor Trend's rendition.
This looks hideous! What, did 4 different people come up with different sections of this rendering and then put them all together? On top of that, it looks about a decade outdated! It also looks too plasticky, kind of how the BMW I8 looks plasticky.

Thank God the Corvette design team seems to have much better taste than whomever that came up with this rendering!

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 05-11-2018 at 12:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JockItch (05-29-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 01:10 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It has a good, though antiquated look to it. Nice exercise but not what we will be getting, though not so far off the mark in some areas that we won’t see a few similarities when the ME is revealed.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 AM
RedDropTop
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

If this is the permanent location of the backup camera, there's going to be a very big blind spot for several feet behind the car, and there won't be a retractable top version.

Typically mid-engine sports cars have the backup camera in the rear facia.

What am I missing here?
Attached Images  

Last edited by RedDropTop; 05-11-2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:38 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDropTop
If this is the permanent location of the backup camera, there's going to be a very big blind spot for several feet behind the car, and there won't be a retractable top version.

Typically mid-engine sports cars have the backup camera in the rear facia.

What am I missing here?
It has been speculated that the car will have a rear view camera, not for backup but to feed the "virtual mirror" which would be a display screen, This is able to provide a much better field of view than a conventional mirror.

No screen is going to work in direct sunlight, so for the convertible with the top down, the screen will revert to being a conventional rear view mirror, and the camera will just fold away with the top. This part is my own speculation.

Cadillac has had such a system for a couple of years. https://www.wired.com/2016/11/cadill...mirror-camera/
The following 2 users liked this post by Bikerjulio:
RedDropTop (05-11-2018), ZL-1 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 06:31 AM
RedDropTop
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
It has been speculated that the car will have a rear view camera, not for backup but to feed the "virtual mirror" which would be a display screen, This is able to provide a much better field of view than a conventional mirror.

No screen is going to work in direct sunlight, so for the convertible with the top down, the screen will revert to being a conventional rear view mirror, and the camera will just fold away with the top. This part is my own speculation.

Cadillac has had such a system for a couple of years. https://www.wired.com/2016/11/cadill...mirror-camera/
Oh I see! Ah, this makes perfect sense. Now I understand a reply that you made to me earlier.

So this is good news for the retractable top! Later we will see a backup camera in the facia.

Thank you!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:06 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Covering all the bases. We'll see just what elements of all the pics/renderings are included.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
This looks hideous! What, did 4 different people come up with different sections of this rendering and then put them all together? On top of that, it looks about a decade outdated! It also looks too plasticky, kind of how the BMW I8 looks plasticky.

Thank God the Corvette design team seems to have much better taste than whomever that came up with this rendering!
Better looking than all the renders. I'll **** myself if the ME Vette looks anything like them.

That shape has possibilities.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:18 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by f-16pilotTX
Awesome points “Ammo” I agree with you in all of your observations!

“If you ain’t Ammo, you ain’t ****”

cheers
yes sir, 27 yrs, 10 mos, 8 days, all AMMO. How does the Vette even compare with that F-16 ride. I am envy your service in that wonderful jet.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:19 PM
f-16pilotTX
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo

yes sir, 27 yrs, 10 mos, 8 days, all AMMO. How does the Vette even compare with that F-16 ride. I am envy your service in that wonderful jet.
Thank you for your service! I knew you would get the ammo reference! You must of loved the Air Force to stay in that long, that is amazing! I was a prior service F-16 crew chief, that is why I knew the ammo slang. The flight line was fun but instead of fixing them, it is my time to break them! The vette is a fighter, no doubt about it. I feel like I need to wear a G suit and mask when taking corners lol. I am still in pilot training flying the awesome T-6 Texan, then it will be the T-38 and hopefully F-16 right after, if I don’t get too lucky and get the F-22 or F-35
hopefully the mid engine C8 will be the F-35 of corvettes!
Cheers!
Old 05-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I grabbed this off of gminsidenews and THIS looks perfectly proportioned and shaped. Just 2-6" too long at the top rear, which is likely just foam or possibly a spoiler bulging.

Gosh darn I love that short hood. I see 2 different style wheels on this car as well.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 05-13-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:07 PM
elegant
Safety Car

I see you noticed the front and rear wheels are not even the same — just cobbled together for this past

We have later ME spy pics (from four weeks ago), e.g., twenty-nine at the link.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/04/...haust-details/

We are all eagerly awaiting newer pics — hopefully with reduced camo.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:30 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcorvette06
Here's Motor Trend's rendition.
If it looks like this, I'm buying.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 12:47 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I grabbed this off of gminsidenews and THIS looks perfectly proportioned and shaped. Just 2-6" too long at the top rear, which is likely just foam or possibly a spoiler bulging.

Gosh darn I love that short hood. I see 2 different style wheels on this car as well.

WHILe i agree and would prefer a short front end....I sort of think we will see a center pointer radiused to the side which is a very contemporary shape...

I think this photo has no front bumper cover on this spy vehicle...

This will be a stunn8ng vehicle and it will alter the entire balance of the Europeans sports exotic world...

I imagine many many Ferrari and Lamborghini owners will buy a new c8rear mid engine vehicle to run hard and put away wet...

Hey will if they have enough room save their Ferrari or Lamborghini from accumulating too many miles as this does really mount up depreciation costs...

To me...if your car depreciates ridiculously if you drive it..then either pay the depreciation or get rid of the car...but I’m old school...

These low low mileage exotics while cool....just make me smile and tell the owners...their cars are cool...

In my opinion ...these guys will add a c8to actually drive...

Many bought the c7z06 and I believe quite a few fifth gen z28 s and 6th gen zL1 1LE...for their performance , durability and they have warranties even if used on the track as long as they stay stock...

I hope the c8offers the same warranty coverage for track use..

Really shows off GM s excellence compared to other sports car manufacturers durability testing..
Old 05-14-2018, 02:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
WHILe i agree and would prefer a short front end....I sort of think we will see a center pointer radiused to the side which is a very contemporary shape...

I think this photo has no front bumper cover on this spy vehicle...

This will be a stunn8ng vehicle and it will alter the entire balance of the Europeans sports exotic world...

I imagine many many Ferrari and Lamborghini owners will buy a new c8rear mid engine vehicle to run hard and put away wet...

Hey will if they have enough room save their Ferrari or Lamborghini from accumulating too many miles as this does really mount up depreciation costs...

To me...if your car depreciates ridiculously if you drive it..then either pay the depreciation or get rid of the car...but I’m old school...

These low low mileage exotics while cool....just make me smile and tell the owners...their cars are cool...

In my opinion ...these guys will add a c8to actually drive...

Many bought the c7z06 and I believe quite a few fifth gen z28 s and 6th gen zL1 1LE...for their performance , durability and they have warranties even if used on the track as long as they stay stock...

I hope the c8offers the same warranty coverage for track use..

Really shows off GM s excellence compared to other sports car manufacturers durability testing..
You are so strung out over wanting a mid engine Corvette, that you will proclaim it as the most beautiful Corvette ever even if it comes out looking like a urinal at McDonalds.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-14-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:48 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Joe you are so stuck in history, even if the ME is one of the best looking vehicles ever, you will proclaim it looks like a urinal.

Bye Joe, you have in the past been a source of some constructive information. I used to learn from many of your posts, but the last few months you have become a constant negative on your posts, glorifying the past while attacking almost everything — especially the ME.

This is not an “age thing” for you and I are about the same age, but you have now become extinct to me, as I just added you to my ignore list.

Last edited by elegant; 05-14-2018 at 03:48 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by elegant:
Boiler_81 (05-14-2018), dmaxx3500 (05-18-2018), jimmyb (05-30-2018), tooold2race (05-31-2018), VETTE-NV (05-17-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 04:18 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD

If you compare that photo to the others, that one seems to have a much higher roofline. Notice the placement and what’s going on around the rear view mirror; seems like two different designs.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
If you compare that photo to the others, that one seems to have a much higher roofline. Notice the placement and what’s going on around the rear view mirror; seems like two different designs.
I believe that’s one of the early powertrain mules, not one that, at that point in time, needed to look anything like the final product.

Last edited by Quinten33; 05-14-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings

Old 05-14-2018, 05:02 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You are so strung out over wanting a mid engine Corvette, that you will proclaim it as the most beautiful Corvette ever even if it comes out looking like a urinal at McDonalds.
C'mon, Joe. Save the '58 (well, really only a radical refresh), EVERY new generation of Vettes has been overwhelmingly praised for its looks on its release. Yep, even the C4 which, for some strange reason, has fallen on disfavor with so many in the Forum.

Relax. JerriVette will be correct even if the ZORA/C8 somehow fails to satisfy your esthetic sensibilities

It's all cool, Joe...
Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Joe you are so stuck in history, even if the ME is one of the best looking vehicles ever, you will proclaim it looks like a urinal.

Bye Joe, you have in the past been a source of some constructive information. I used to learn from many of your posts, but the last few months you have become a constant negative on your posts, glorifying the past while attacking almost everything — especially the ME.

This is not an “age thing” for you and I are about the same age, but you have now become extinct to me, as I just added you to my ignore list.
I did not say the C8 would look like a urinal. I said that jerri would proclaim it has the most beautiful Corvette even IF it ended up looking like a urinal.

BIG difference. You have a reading comprehension problem. You need to work on that.

I have not attacked the ME. Hell I don't even know what the ME will end up being and neither do you, even with all your never ending posting about what it will be. All I've said is what I DON'T want in a ME, just as others have said that they don't want and what I want in a ME, just as others have said what they want in a ME.

Three times a day jerri posts the same list of what he wants in a ME and it's always the same. that is why I posted what I did about no matter what the ME ends up being, jerri will proclaim it as the best, most beautiful Corvette ever.

To bad you can have an opinion on what you like/dislike and I can't.

Bye Bye.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-14-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:12 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Some see the glass half full and some my friend JoeC5 see the glass half empty.

Change is good even as I admire previous generation corvettes.

One of the reasons the corvette brand is a great iconic American brand..is because each new generation corvette is even better than the last...

That is what the corvette brand is known for..

Please don’t take my admiration of the present c7 or the next generation rear mid engine c8 as an insult to your awesome and well used c6-

Be well

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-14-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings