Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
You don’t buy a convertible for the way it looks with the top UP, you buy it for the way it looks with the top down ! That’s why a ME Spyder is a dumb idea to begin with. I think they’ll sell about three of them, but I could be wrong. I’d never buy one.
The troll is strong in this.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:18 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Bikerjulio and Quinten33 are the real deal people,
Please appreciate their contribution to this forum and especially to th C8 section.

No bull ,and lots of facts.

The following 2 users liked this post by pietro c7:
91ZR1 (06-24-2018), Bikerjulio (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
I think you will.find your in the minority. I believe that the HT vert will out sell the coupe model by 3 to if the price structure is within 10k of the coupe.

HT vert best of both worlds in my opinion.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:36 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Julio, you da man ! No trolling intended, I just don't like the way these flying buttress verts look. OTOH, the C7 vert is beautiful. Different strokes for different folks !

I hope you find the car and the look that pleases you, but for me, it will be a coupe. I don't even need the targa top. I've had my C7 for 5 years and had the targa top off once.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:48 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I think you will.find your in the minority. I believe that the HT vert will out sell the coupe model by 3 to if the price structure is within 10k of the coupe.

It will never ever outsell the coupe 3 to 1,you could take that to the bank,
a 10 000 $ diference could equate to 15% more for a hardtop convertible ,
Dont forget,our forum only represents about 10% of consumer behaviour at most.

Not to mention the cargo capacity advantage in the coupe...
That alone is worth gold in sales volume.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:03 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have stayed out of this one, for I have not a clue as to the HT convertible’s take rate.

I can only add personal thoughts, that while the top of our coupe comes off at most about once yearly, that we did not miss top removal on our C6 Z06, and lastly that we have not had a convertible in literally 50 years, that both my wife and I will are planning to order the HT convertible unless it is delayed availability.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:04 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetteman41960

I think you misunderstand. I was disagreeing with the statement that a ME convertible is a dumb idea.

I definitely think the proportion of convertibles could increase with a nicely executed HT convertible. Which is what I want personally.

As for more luggage in the coupe - I doubt it. The fastback will have aero benefits and possible engine showoff. Little to no space above the engine available.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:56 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Ferrari usually launches with a fixed coupe and then introduces the spyder of which once introduced that’s what every customer seems to purchase...

i wouldnt be surprised to see the c8 with a retractable roof if in appearance as a coupe when up and a convertible when down wouldnt ourself the targa top...

id probably be ordering the targa and pocket the 10 grand if that’s what the spyder version adds to the price...of a targa ...

if it was just a hardtop or spyder no question id opt for the spyder ...

if its targa or spyder I’m a cheap SOb and don’t mind lifting the roof on or off...
Old 06-25-2018, 09:01 AM
C7nut
Pro

Received 337 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Maybe its me but I think the back end of the ME' in this rendering is much too square and blunt... If the rear had a curvature similar to the C7, it would be far more pleasing to the eye.
joe...
Old 06-25-2018, 09:52 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default It's not you--it's the big ol' slab of butt

Originally Posted by C7nut
Maybe its me but I think the back end of the ME' in this rendering is much too square and blunt... If the rear had a curvature similar to the C7, it would be far more pleasing to the eye.
joe...
FVS is attempting to depict the car as it really is--love it or hate it. But I echo your sentiments on the rear; anything close to what it appears to be thus far is treading close to the line of disaster. With the possible exception of the Audi A8 (teutonic blah) the rear ends of most of the MEs out there have a lot of sculpted features--the Ferrari, Ford GT etc.

The rear on the C8 may turn out to be a big, fat, slab of dull, with a bunch of features etched into it. Time will tell, but the rear, in particular, is not looking promising.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't think we will see a ME Targa.
IMHO, first there will be a fixed-top fastback (light weight/simple) and then a retractable-top, twin-buttress, flat-deck Spyder.
The following users liked this post:
Stew24 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tomlink
I don't think we will see a ME Targa.
IMHO, first there will be a fixed-top fastback (light weight/simple) and then a retractable-top, twin-buttress, flat-deck Spyder.
Why then do we see roof seams on the fastback cars in the location where we would expect to see a targa roof?

Last edited by Bikerjulio; 06-25-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:34 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Why then do we see roof seams on the fastback cars in the location where we would expect to see a targa roof?

It could be a targa, or it might be able to be more easily manufactured if the roof of the car is of a two piece design and is bolted in place like the C6 Z06/ZR1 roof.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:38 PM
vettedna
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
FVS is attempting to depict the car as it really is--love it or hate it. But I echo your sentiments on the rear; anything close to what it appears to be thus far is treading close to the line of disaster. With the possible exception of the Audi A8 (teutonic blah) the rear ends of most of the MEs out there have a lot of sculpted features--the Ferrari, Ford GT etc.

The rear on the C8 may turn out to be a big, fat, slab of dull, with a bunch of features etched into it. Time will tell, but the rear, in particular, is not looking promising.
No disrespect, please do not take it as a troll - but i personally think that the rendering is way off from the final model. especially the lamps and the mid part of it. call it a hunch, don't know anybody's anybody who have heard that someone has seen it...just plain simple logic. the LEDs and the middle part is different. and the rear quarter of that flowing line is also different. and i am not sure about the front (profile-look/from side) either. I really doubt that those LEDs can be seen from the side (can't explain why, I just know). I personally think that the lines will carry something from the Raptor. Not the Ford, or the Zagato
furthermore the side view of the rear has a more dramatic line. simple, but more Corvette. I think, (99% sure) that this thing will scream Corvette!
This thing is more beautiful that any of the renderings, illustrations may let us think!
There I said it.
I really hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings. I apologize if I did.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:47 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Having a different opinion doesn't mean "troll"

Originally Posted by vettedna
No disrespect, please do not take it as a troll - but i personally think that the rendering is way off from the final model. especially the lamps and the mid part of it. call it a hunch, don't know anybody's anybody who have heard that someone has seen it...just plain simple logic. the LEDs and the middle part is different. and the rear quarter of that flowing line is also different. and i am not sure about the front (profile-look/from side) either. I really doubt that those LEDs can be seen from the side (can't explain why, I just know). I personally think that the lines will carry something from the Raptor. Not the Ford, or the Zagato
furthermore the side view of the rear has a more dramatic line. simple, but more Corvette. I think, (99% sure) that this thing will scream Corvette!
This thing is more beautiful that any of the renderings, illustrations may let us think!
There I said it.
I really hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings. I apologize if I did.
People can be WAY too sensitive in these forums. Expressing a contrarian or original opinion is what you're SUPPOSED to do...

I caution you though. This thread, as championed by FVS existst to tease out what the car behind the mask really looks like. Not what we hope it will look like.

So far, the empirical details available to us and reviewed by multiple parties on this site suggest that FVS's latest rendering is at least in the ballpark--and most importantly is consistent with the observed evidence. There are some elements--such as those confirmed by the leaked CAD drawings that are pretty much indisputable.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

The rear of FVS’s render is not far off at all. The shape of the taillight housings looks perfect, and the diffuser is exactly what we see testing on public roads. There are two areas where his rendering seems inaccurate compared to this image:

1. The lines I have circled below appear to be too long in FVS’s rendering, and that makes the areas parallel to those lines seem too large. That is makes a huge difference in the appearance of the rear of the car.

2. The vents below the taillights are too sharp-edged and too small. C7pimp said that the vents slightly wrap around the sides of the bumper, and the holes in the above leaked photo support that statement.
3. There isn’t a hole above the license plate, contrary to what you see in the photo of the bumper. That “hole” has to be where the license plate lights and trunk/hood release button will go. If you look at the above photo closely enough, you can see that the hole is smaller than the on in FVS’s rendering.

The perspective of the bumper in the photo and the perspective of the rear of the car in the rendering are very different, so some dimensions could look different between the two without really being different. Thanks for the great work FVS!

Last edited by Quinten33; 06-25-2018 at 01:26 PM.
ltomn (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 02:07 PM
vettedna
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't know how to quote both of the replies,

I see what you mean, I also see these elements, but I still think the thing will be more beautiful. I looked at all these evidences a lot, I studied very carefully every detail I came across. When the C7 came out, it looked better than any of the illustrations. If you remember the C6, it was the same situation. But here I am almost certain, that the side of the front will not show the LEDs. They will be visible from a bit different perspective, true. In the rear the elements are the same, but the dimensions are different which will give a much more upscale feeling. I really can't express myself better than this as English is not my first language, but art and design is. The lights on the body and the shadows, and a bit different angles will make all the difference, and when you will look at it it will seem very natural and distinctive. I really like, appreciate and understand that this is not what we wish, but trust me on this, those little details will change the entire look.
Please look at those sketches that came out years prior to the C7 and see what I mean.
I also think that side air intake (or what you call that) is more refined. The top will resemble a Raptor side intake (or whatever, help me out here with this word) and it (the curve) will look like the C1 and the CERV III but it will be the EXACT continuation of the line on the top front of the door. God it is hard to express
The elements are/may be more or less accurate, but the details, the angles will completely change the looks of the car.

Think C1, Aerovette and Indy (rather CERV III) design cues (only some details)

Last edited by vettedna; 06-25-2018 at 02:07 PM.
elegant (06-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings

Old 06-25-2018, 02:17 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

FVS often posts, that no matter what he renders, he has full confidence that what GM will finally reveal will be even better. If his work is as exciting as it is to me and to most here, we are going to have one outstanding reveal day!

That is if we do not get it shared before that scheduled day.

The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
FrankLP (06-26-2018), NewYuriCity (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:34 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Of the two mules we have seen, one has a rear roof partition line about 5 inches ahead of the rear edge of the side window - also easy to see this mule has buttresses and flat rear deck. Most agree this is the retractable roof spyder ME.

The other ME mule appears to have a roof partition line about 2 inches ahead of the rear edge of the side window. However, IMHO it is unclear if this is indeed a fastback model by looking at the rear shot. If is was a fastback, the rear camera is sitting where you would expect to see rear glass. With the use of fake body parts and color camo, its unclear what is on the back of this mule. I also think that for a maximum effort, clean-sheet design, a Targa top would line up with the rear edge of the side glass like C3/4/5/6/7 (I know, C3 was t-tops) - some have suggested that this is just another iteration of the retractable roof.

Last edited by tomlink; 06-25-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:36 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Futurevision
Bikerjulio makes a valid point. The wife and I were talking about this last night after viewing the recently posted GM Authority video. As the mule accelerates away, the heavy tarp camo rises up over the engine area. It really looks like there is a flying-buttress roofline. If there were glass there, the area below the tarp probably would not become pressurized in that fashion. The wife even posed the question: "Could it have a removable upright window like the early C3's?"

There is one good reason to have quarter-lites behind the doors: Over-the-shoulder visibility. A flying buttress creates a pretty good blind spot.
The rear fastback window on the coupe ends(to the bottom) at the exact same place as the buttresses end on the hardtop convertible.
All that the back window does in the coupe ,is top out the buttresses that are evident in the Spyder.

From a side profile,figure a half way point between a notchback and a fastback.
(Fox body mustang speak...)

The cars trunk is under that fastback window .(as well as a smaller frunk in the front)

Its not like the Ferrari 488,where it extends to the taillights .

Quick Reply: 2020 C8 - Mid Engine Corvette - best guess renderings