Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many years will it take GM to get the C8 right?

Old 04-28-2018, 08:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Every company that designs hardware wants a first pass design. In a competitive environment you can't afford not to hit the nail on the head with your first shot. The automated design tools and testing processes they have now make it more likely they will get that first pass design. Just like the pilot that jumps into the first version of a brand new aircraft and takes it off the ground for the first time you have to have faith the people who built it knew what they were doing. The better the job done on the first model the lower the costs are for warranty repair and development of the next iteration.

GM pretty much did that with the C5 Corvette. The 97s were probably the best built of the series. The design tools are 20 years better now than they were then so I am pretty sure GM will have a very trouble free car right out of the box.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
ZeroDark30 (10-10-2019)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:53 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Every company that designs hardware wants a first pass design. In a competitive environment you can't afford not to hit the nail on the head with your first shot. The automated design tools and testing processes they have now make it more likely they will get that first pass design. Just like the pilot that jumps into the first version of a brand new aircraft and takes it off the ground for the first time you have to have faith the people who built it knew what they were doing. The better the job done on the first model the lower the costs are for warranty repair and development of the next iteration.

GM pretty much did that with the C5 Corvette. The 97s were probably the best built of the series. The design tools are 20 years better now than they were then so I am pretty sure GM will have a very trouble free car right out of the box.

Bill

I have a first year C7 Z51 and it has pretty much been perfect. Almost 5 years and no issues at all. As for the C8 ME, these guys have been working on this car since 2006-2007. My guess is that the C8 will be the most over-engineered car they have ever done. It will also be built in, essentially, an all new factory with extensive automation. From what I saw at the Bash in BG, they have solved their paint problems. Bottom line is I am betting the first year ME's will be very high quality and buyers should not hesitate to order one. They will go like hot cakes !!
Old 04-28-2018, 09:31 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default You never get there

I waited until 2000 to order my C5. It wasn't long enough. The next year they improved the intake manifold, changed to an improved/ lower cost key fob/receiver, and many other fixes. I Pity the guys who got stuck with '97- '98 abandonments. My C5 still has the lousy hazard switch/turn signal failures, intermittent door modules with cold solder joints. Maybe GM doesn't source from the lowest bidder anymore, and the quality problems have been addressed, but I wouldn't consider a C8 until I hear at least two years of very positive quality reports.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:02 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I've had the first year of the last 3 generations:

1998 C5 Convertible: Easily the WORST car I've ever owned. Name a problem, it had it....multiple times. Column lock failure was a particular favorite.

2005 C6 Convertible: OK, but not great. 3 bouts of DBS in 18 months (the 2005 manuals had the "shut down in reverse" feature), the clutch plate clicking in the rear end, etc....

2014 C7 Convertible: Easily the best of the 3. Owned for 4 years now, ZERO unscheduled service stops.

Based on MY experience, I would guess the C8 will come out of the chute dialed in.

Last edited by jimmyb; 04-28-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Red08Roadster
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not going to worry about quality problems in year 1. I'm in as soon as I can get the DOHC twin turbo motor. Love the LT1 in my '17 but it will take an all new powerplant to get me to move up.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:56 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
You have a short memory remember the steering column lock?
Old 04-29-2018, 06:18 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...un-2-47-s.html

Link to CF post on gran sport versus McLaren 570 ($191,000)

So my point is a don't expect the ME corvette to be a better car than a ZR1 for some years.
I will not buy a ME just to be the first on the block with one, not my style.
It's not like I don't have toys- vette 2016 Z51, A8, bike.
If I need more power a centrifugal SC will help that, ECS is very close.

My concern is with the issues that GM waits or ignores until most repairs become the owners problem.
Z06 over heating on track, A8 torque converters, the mystifying clutch fluid changes on C5, diff leaks on C5,

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 04-29-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:29 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

The c8 will be just fine from a quality standpoint although the first year the market adjustment will probably be impressive.

That's just the way supply and demand works.

The demand in the c8 will outpace supply for quite a few years in my opinion
Old 04-29-2018, 09:51 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...un-2-47-s.html

Link to CF post on gran sport versus McLaren 570 ($191,000)

So my point is a don't expect the ME corvette to be a better car than a ZR1 for some years.
I will not buy a ME just to be the first on the block with one, not my style.
It's not like I don't have toys- vette 2016 Z51, A8, bike.
If I need more power a centrifugal SC will help that, ECS is very close.

My concern is with the issues that GM waits or ignores until most repairs become the owners problem.
Z06 over heating on track, A8 torque converters, the mystifying clutch fluid changes on C5, diff leaks on C5,
This is certainly a valid point. Sometimes these things are engineering problems, like the Z06. Then there are those issues that come along with mass production, say torque converters, why some fail and the majority don't, who knows. The thing to keep in mind is that all of the testing, like the mule cars, are pre production. Once they start going down the line, perhaps the scenario changes a little bit. Of course, then there is supplier related problems. Much the same thing as previously mentioned.

Fortunately, with the exponential advancements in engineering software, computers can catch a lot of this before the parts even hit the mold. But for the most part, it seems that GM has been doing a decent job with first year models across the line as of late.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:20 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

3rd model year.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:09 PM
dexterkatt
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

With my purchase of a C7 in Dec, 2013, I had the same anxiety about 1st year GM cars.
I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't have any problem until the 2nd year when the
screen took a dump. It was fixed under warranty and I haven't had any other issues (except the recall for airbags, when practically every other manufacturer did.) So, I'll take a chance with the C8.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:42 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

SUNSALEM

Yes I am asking for peoples opinions, no harm in that.
almost all the info available on the C8 was speculation up until recently.

I think the number one reason GM wants a mid-engine car is for race
series like Lemans. They are struggling now against rules and the other mid-engine competitors.
Not really.
The C7.R is the current 2-time defending IMSA champion.
I don't have any issues with them building a car for production to use in racing. This has been done for centuries.
GM is NOT a race team, they produce cars for sales to the public.
Like many manufacturers, they have race teams as part of their marketing strategy for selling their production STREET cars.

Originally Posted by roadbike56
There are numerous posts on the C7 confirming that the 2014 is as reliable, possibly even more reliable, than the later years. Apparently GM spends more $$$ on quality control the first year so I'd would not be surprised at all to find the first ME cars are excellent, in fact I expect it.
This is common.
Engineers initially stand over the shoulder of assemblers to make sure everything is right before allowing the mechanism of mass production to take over.
I have seen this many times in the tech industry.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:05 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

I expect the biggest areas of risk for teething problems to be the DCT transmission and thermal management (particularly for the high hp variant). The best DCTs on the market are ones the manufacturers have developed, tweaked and perfected over time. I hope GM spends sufficient time on the engineering and tuning on their unit. They'll need to nail thermal management for the high hp variant as well. I would think their work over the last couple years on the ZR will help them focus on that need.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:07 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Sorry to have to ask these questions but I don't have much faith that the C8 will be affordable or start as a great car.
I expect GM to play the market game and drag us along with the next best option. example c7, GS, Z06, ZR1.

Do you expect the C8 to start as a better car than any of the C7 models?

How long will it take for a C8 mid-engine to out perform the C7 ZR1?
imo the way it usually works---the last model before the C9
Old 04-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

"GM is NOT a race team, they produce cars for sales to the public.
Like many manufacturers, they have race teams as part of their marketing strategy for selling their production STREET cars."

So you think GM is building this ME because the current market-street car- wants this over a mid-mounted front engine which is really what the C7, C6 and C5 are?
I don't think so.

Why did Ford build the current GT ME car?
Old 04-30-2018, 04:00 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I expect the biggest areas of risk for teething problems to be the DCT transmission and thermal management (particularly for the high hp variant). The best DCTs on the market are ones the manufacturers have developed, tweaked and perfected over time. I hope GM spends sufficient time on the engineering and tuning on their unit. They'll need to nail thermal management for the high hp variant as well. I would think their work over the last couple years on the ZR will help them focus on that need.
Hopefully a 3 pedal model will still be offered so the DCT won't be a risk for some of us.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:35 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by tbasco 6
Hopefully a 3 pedal model will still be offered so the DCT won't be a risk for some of us.
Yeah, I'd like to see that as well. Not sure we'll see it, though.

Get notified of new replies

To How many years will it take GM to get the C8 right?

Old 05-01-2018, 02:26 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,354 Posts

People have short memories. I recall all sorts of problems with the first year C7, paint problems, panel gap problem, interior fit problems, electrical problems, the list was practically endless. There was even a sticky with all the problems. I recall pictures of C7s on flatbeds.

Year 1 problems
Year 2 major issues fixed
Year 3 many minor issues fixed
Year 4 generally pretty good
Old 05-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

I don't expect the Tremec DCT to be such a big problem
This is a specialty company making the trans.

C5, C6 trans are by Tremec
Not sure about the C7 7 speed.

An example of what they build
• Seven forward speeds
all-wheel drive (AWD) and trans-axle platforms
• Torque capacity of 700 Nm (516 lb-ft)
or 900 Nm (664 lb-ft)
• 9,000 RPM maximum input speed
• Performance oriented gear ratio spread
Old 05-01-2018, 01:12 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
People have short memories. I recall all sorts of problems with the first year C7, paint problems, panel gap problem, interior fit problems, electrical problems, the list was practically endless. There was even a sticky with all the problems. I recall pictures of C7s on flatbeds.

Year 1 problems
Year 2 major issues fixed
Year 3 many minor issues fixed
Year 4 generally pretty good
Took delivery Oct 3rd 2013 and with the exception of info screen needing replaced, zero problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many years will it take GM to get the C8 right?