Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoping Chevy Finally Puts Good Sound Deadening in C8

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:32 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I really doubt that you have any experience driving early model Corvettes, yet you seem to think so. I first drove a Corvette back in 1960, and have owned every generation except the C4 and the C7.

Since you think you are an expert on early corvettes, what is a major difference between a 63 and a 64 Corvette that makes the 64 quieter than the 63?
Didn't claim to be an expert. But I've certainly driven/ridden in enough C2's to question your assertion of their quietness. EVERY C2 I've been in was FAR from quiet. As far as the 1964 being quieter...who cares? Did you buy a 1964 because GM added some sound insulation and changed some bushings to make in quieter?
So, now along with your unbridled pride about your C6 Z06's gas mileage (which you've mentioned in at least (!) 100+ posts), you can also brag about how quiet the 1964 Corvette is....

Here you go: The changes made to the 1964 to make it quieter. Even Wiki knows what they did.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_(C2)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
It is most likely quieter because it has 185mm wide tires on it. The corvette needs to be compared to other similar cars.
As for tire noise relative to size, the Escalade SUV uses 285 mm tires. Is the Escalade quieter at speed on a typical highway than a Corvette with 245's on the front and 285's on the rear? I bet it is.

PS- my C6 Z06 with 275's and 325's Bridgestone tires are quieter than the 245 & 275 Goodyear tires that came on my C5. Difference between manufacturers tire designs have a lot to do with tire noise.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Didn't claim to be an expert. But I've certainly driven/ridden in enough C2's to question your assertion of their quietness. EVERY C2 I've been in was FAR from quiet. As far as the 1964 being quieter...who cares? Did you buy a 1964 because GM added some sound insulation and changed some bushings to make in quieter?
So, now along with your unbridled pride about your C6 Z06's gas mileage (which you've mentioned in at least (!) 100+ posts), you can also brag about how quiet the 1964 Corvette is....

Here you go: The changes made to the 1964 to make it quieter. Even Wiki knows what they did.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_(C2)
Next time you are in the Springfield, MO area, let me know and I'll take you for a drive in a quiet 1956 Corvette(restored) and a quiet 1964 Corvette(original, not restored), and you can compare their quiet, smooth ride to your approximately 60 year old newer C7.

I think your understanding of the earlier Corvettes will quickly change.

What is the MAJOR design change(please specify in detail, not a vague mention as Wiki did) that made the 64 quieter than the 63. Can you do it without using Google?

The early Corvettes were not a 'bucket of bolts' as you seem the believe. Sure, a bunch of them in later years were modified with hard urethane suspension bushings, tight shock absorbers, replacement stiff springs, stiff sway bars, etc to make 'race' cars out of them. But that has nothing to do with how they were designed and manufactured when new.

Oh, and when I mentioned my C6's gas mileage, I only mention it in a C7 tread to be used as a comparison when my C6 is on a road trip with a C7. BTW, this is a C8 thread, so why are bringing up what I post in a C7, or in a C6 thread that has nothing to do with what the topic of this tread is about(looking to cause trouble maybe?)? I state what the C7(under the identical driving conditions as my C6) gets and I have never said the C7 gets poorer gas mileage. and thus is a crappy car. But I have mentioned before, that with all the things that GM did with the C7(AFM, DI, higher compression ratio, taller gearing in the transmission/differential), that I was surprised that the C7 didn't get even better fuel economy that it's earlier C6 generation Corvette, than it does.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-01-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

I'd agree with jimmyb that it's strange the OP refuses to say if they own a C7 or not, since the C7's noise level is apparently central to their argument about more sound deadening material being needed in the C8.

I've owned a C7 since Oct. 2013. First a 2014 Stingray/Z51, and then (and now) a 2016 Z06 with the Z07 package. The Z06 is a little bit louder (road noise as well as exhaust) than a Stingray, but neither car has too much road noise. Of all the threads on the forums discussing wishlist items for the C7 never once did I consider stating that I wished it were quieter.

The exhaust is definitely the loudest component of the car, no matter what speed I'm traveling. Putting the exhaust into "stealth" mode makes it too quiet for my taste.

Of course I have seen numerous threads over the years about people ripping out their interiors and plastering sound deadening materials everywhere, but that seems really extreme to me. The only time I've considered doing something similar was on my C5, but it would have been to reduce the center tunnel heat in the car, not to make it quieter.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:05 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

As for tire noise relative to size, the Escalade SUV uses 285 mm tires. Is the Escalade quieter at speed on a typical highway than a Corvette with 245's on the front and 285's on the rear? I bet it is.

PS- my C6 Z06 with 275's and 325's Bridgestone tires are quieter than the 245 & 275 Goodyear tires that came on my C5. Difference between manufacturers tire designs have a lot to do with tire noise.
Wait, are you saying that passenger truck tires are quieter than max performance summer tires? Well, who knew?

Bet you Michelin AS/3's are quieter than PSS's also.

What's next in this thread? Corvettes ride rough?

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-01-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:13 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Next time you are in the Springfield, MO area, let me know and I'll take you for a drive in a quiet 1956 Corvette(restored) and a quiet 1964 Corvette(original, not restored), and you can compare their quiet, smooth ride to your approximately 60 year old newer C7.

I think your understanding of the earlier Corvettes will quickly change.

What is the MAJOR design change(please specify in detail, not a vague mention as Wiki did) that made the 64 quieter than the 63. Can you do it without using Google?

The early Corvettes were not a 'bucket of bolts' as you seem the believe. Sure, a bunch of them in later years were modified with hard urethane suspension bushings, tight shock absorbers, replacement stiff springs, stiff sway bars, etc to make 'race' cars out of them. But that has nothing to do with how they were designed and manufactured when new.

Oh, and when I mentioned my C6's gas mileage, I only mention it in a C7 tread to be used as a comparison when my C6 is on a road trip with a C7. I state what the C7(under the identical driving conditions as my C6) gets and I have never said the C7 gets poorer gas mileage. and thus is a crappy car. But I have mentioned before, that with all the things that GM did with the C7(AFM, DI, higher compression ratio, taller gearing in the transmission/differential), that I was surprised that the C7 didn't get even better fuel economy that it's earlier C6 generation Corvette, than it does.
What is YOUR idea of a "major" design change. Unless the chassis was changed entirely, I have a feeling that your idea of "major" and everyone else's is not the same. But, you're so proud that you know something I don't, parade it on out there.

And, I NEVER called or intimated that the early Corvettes were "buckets of bolts". But don't tell me they didn't have rattles, etc because that is just NOT TRUE.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-01-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:19 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default This is a weird thread

I've never heard of anyone being concerned about any aspect of noise and a Corvette. It's also weird to hear people complaining about the noise level and overall rigidity of the C7. I've driven a lot of them. And I don't recall EVER hearing a squeak or a rattle and I'm overly sensitive to them. The C7 is a really well-built car in my experience. And it's only loud when you step hard on that pedal on the right.

My '66 L72 427 roadster with factory side pipes? Now, that sets off car alarms when I drive down the street. Which I love.

You know what else? It's remarkably rattle free.

Last edited by IronV; 05-01-2018 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tooold2race (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I can add a factory installed sound insulation package to a Peterbilt for about $80, that weighs 19#, in a Peterbilt!

I think GM can spare 6# of insulation so we can hear ourselves think, take phone calls, and what not when commuting with the windows up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Suns_PSD:
Michael A (05-01-2018), Rapid Fred (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

What is YOUR idea of a "major" design change. You're so proud that you know something I don't, parade it on out there.

And, I NEVER called or intimated that the early Corvettes were "buckets of bolts". But don't tell me they didn't have rattles, etc because that is just NOT TRUE.
When was the last time you drove an original C2 on a 2,100 mile road trip, covering all types of driving/road conditions? 1999 for me, how about for you? I bet never. Maybe you took a few short rides in one or two C2's that you have no idea what kind of suspension bushings, springs, shocks, etc that the particular car you took a short ride in, was equipped with. I only drive my 64 on short cruises now(under approximately 250 miles) as it is an old car, and since it is original, I don't want to take a chance on losing it's original engine, transmission or rear end with only 64,xxx miles.

My 1969 was built on the same design chassis as my 64, and it was not a 'bucket of bolts' either, even after I passed 100,000 miles on the odometer.

Today, very few C2's are survivors so I doubt if you have ever ridden in a C2 survivor and I doubt that you are old enough to have ridden in a new C2(I had a bunch of mileage in my best friend's NEW 1963 coupe).

For your information(that you should know since you know that ALL C2's have rattles). The 1963 had the body bolted directly to the frame. For 1964, the frame mounted body brackets were relocated lower so that rubber bushings could be installed between the body and the frame, isolating the body from the frame. It made a MAJOR difference in how much road noise was transmitted into the passenger compartment.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:36 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Wait, are you saying that passenger truck tires are quieter than max performance summer tires? Well, who knew?

Bet you Michelin AS/3's are quieter than PSS's also.

What's next in this thread? Corvettes ride rough?
I was comparing sizes to noise levels as was the person I responded to was. BYW, the Escalade is a SUV with TRUCK tires, not a CT6 with PASSENGER car tires.

How are the Michelin PS4s's compared to the Michelin Super Sports? I'm thinking about installing a set of them on my C6 Z06 and noise level(as well as grip) is a major factor in my decision making. Will they make my C6 Z06 into a 'bucket of bolts'?

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-01-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:47 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default It's not true.

What is YOUR idea of a "major" design change. Unless the chassis was changed entirely, I have a feeling that your idea of "major" and everyone else's is not the same. But, you're so proud that you know something I don't, parade it on out there.

Well, it's true of mine.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:48 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

I was comparing sizes to noise levels as was the person I responded to was. BYW, the Escalade is a SUV with TRUCK tires, not a CT6 with PASSENGER car tires.

How are the Michelin PS4s's compared to the Michelin Super Sports? I'm thinking about installing a set of them on my C6 Z06 and noise level(as well as grip) is a major factor in my decision making. Will they make my C6 Z06 into a 'bucket of bolts'?

If you're still using Goodyears, the transformation will be SHOCKING. The PSS runflats are centuries better than Goodyears, I can only imagine that PS4 (non-runflats) are even better. "Bucket of bolts" is your usual dramatization of what I wrote, I never used the term, you did.

Bad reading...I said passenger TRUCK tires. Or if you prefer, TireRack calls them "Crossover/SUV" tires. Still not in the same zipcode of max performance, ultra low profile summer tires in handling, noise, wear, etc.
JerriVette (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 03:38 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

CABIN NOISE!!! It is a sports car after all. The only thing that bothers me is that it's difficult to talk on a cell phone..... which I really try to avoid when I'm driving.

The 'sound' from behind the steering wheel is what sold me on our Ferrari and Aston Martin. Even our big 4 door S series AMG has great sound inside.

If you want 'quiet' buy a Honda, Toyota or Nissan sedan....
JerriVette (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 04:05 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

I surrender.
I hope Joe and Michael get their wish and the C8 is as quiet as a church mouse (there's a little Joe and Michael drama for you). As far as a 2,100 mile road trip in a C2, you got me, Joe. Never done it. And the fact that you did it almost a QUARTER of your life ago and you still remember the details is, well, uncanny....

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-01-2018 at 04:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
JerriVette (05-01-2018), VETTE-NV (05-11-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 04:10 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by tooold2race
CABIN NOISE!!! It is a sports car after all. The only thing that bothers me is that it's difficult to talk on a cell phone..... which I really try to avoid when I'm driving.

The 'sound' from behind the steering wheel is what sold me on our Ferrari and Aston Martin. Even our big 4 door S series AMG has great sound inside.

If you want 'quiet' buy a Honda, Toyota or Nissan sedan....
I can't believe the folks that say it's hard to hear a cell phone in a C7....I literally just talked to my wife 10 minutes ago, on Bluetooth, in my C7 CONVERTIBLE, with the top (and windows) DOWN, and the NPP OPEN and had no problem.
WKM (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

^^^^^

I've asked the OP twice now if he owns a C7....
My answer has been crickets.
So, I'll assume he doesn't which makes his assertions about noise level moot.
There you go again. This is a C8 forum, not a C7 forum. We're talking about the C8 here.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I can't believe the folks that say it's hard to hear a cell phone in a C7....I literally just talked to my wife 10 minutes ago, on Bluetooth, in my C7 CONVERTIBLE, with the top (and windows) DOWN, and the NPP OPEN and had no problem.
What, at a stoplight?
tooold2race (05-01-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Hoping Chevy Finally Puts Good Sound Deadening in C8

Old 05-01-2018, 05:50 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

I use my cell in my '66 with factory side pipes--at cruising speed with the top up.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

If you're still using Goodyears, the transformation will be SHOCKING. The PSS runflats are centuries better than Goodyears, I can only imagine that PS4 (non-runflats) are even better. "Bucket of bolts" is your usual dramatization of what I wrote, I never used the term, you did.

Bad reading...I said passenger TRUCK tires. Or if you prefer, TireRack calls them "Crossover/SUV" tires. Still not in the same zipcode of max performance, ultra low profile summer tires in handling, noise, wear, etc.

A agree...the Goodyears are Badyears. Replaced the Goodyear run flats on my C5 with Michelin A/S run flats and not only did the Michelin's have equal or better traction, they were years better in quietness.

Replaced the Goodyear run flats on my C6 Z06 with Bridgestone run flats and they were also quieter than the Goodyear's.

Even on my various daily drivers over the past 58 years, different brands have different levels of quietness(and all were the same type of tire).

I haven't tried a Michelin tire on my C6 Z06, and that's why I'm interested in knowing about the PS4s Michelin. On my Mercedes sedan, it came with Goodyear LS tires, and I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sports, but then I went back to the Goodyear LS tires.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:35 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

It's also 3,000 lbs heavier (lots of noise proof insulation) does not have run-flats or stiff sidewalks. It really is not a good comparison.

Last edited by NY09C6; 05-01-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Hoping Chevy Finally Puts Good Sound Deadening in C8