Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoping Chevy Finally Puts Good Sound Deadening in C8

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 10:14 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Michael A
We have thread after thread of people tearing apart their interiors to put in sound deadening in their C7's. Nobody should have to go to all this trouble and expense just to get a quiet cabin. Considering this is the year 2018, with lots of technology to keep cabin sound levels free of excessive wind and road noise, while still being light and economical, it's surprising the Corvette is so far behind the times in this area. Sound control is about good engineering. Even pickup trucks are quiet now. Very quiet!

I'm hoping Chevy brings the C8 up to current standards, if not exceeding them. A quiet interior would go a long ways to convincing some people to move to the mid-engine car, and making it their daily driver.
Weight
Old 05-02-2018, 11:27 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Varmit
Weight
If an acoustic package is an option, then you just won't order it and have to worry about the weight if you don't want to.

I don't think anyone will notice 10 or 20 pounds of acoustic insulation if they did order it. To put this in perspective, compare this to the current Corvette with 14 seat motors, two seat heaters, and two seat fans plus wiring, switches, and relays. That's just the seats. Add in two more motors for the steering column. Add another 10 speakers, including a heavy subwoofer, subwoofer box, Bose speaker amplifiers and wiring. No one seems to be worrying about the weight of all this, at least not that I've seen.

I can understand how some people like all this stuff, but for me it is dead weight. I like the adjustments, but I set my seat and steering column once, and the rest of the time I own the car I'm just hauling around 16 motors for no reason.

Last edited by Michael A; 05-02-2018 at 11:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 07:00 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Always had a good laugh at people that buy a sports car and then wonder why it rides firmer than a luxury cruiser. About as funny and pathetic as people that buy a house next to an existing airport and then complain about the noise.

Human nature never fails in its inability to follow a logical analysis. Duh
Old 05-03-2018, 08:26 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

I sure hope GM put good sound deadening in the ME, just not much of it. High quality would be great though.

PC
Old 05-03-2018, 08:41 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Because some people really want to a Lexus LC500 experience but feel cooler driving a Corvette

I'm sure some people, like you, want the noise gone and to have a more "isolated" driving experience but many people don't even notice it or may even like the rawness. My DD is a BMW 340i and it's a really well mannered car... while still being really fast and sporty for a daily. My C7/C8 is my fun car (even if I DD it in the summer) and I want it to be more of a visceral experience. If I wanted a faster version of my 340i then I'd buy an M5 or the Lexus LC500.

I think you are painting Corvette owners with a brush that is really your perspective and preferences but may not be everyone's. Maybe when I'm older and retired then I'll want a different experience (this is suggesting nothing about age for others) and, if I do, I won't buy a Corvette. Until then, the Corvette is neither too loud nor too much NVH for me (and apparently a large number of people who bought one). It's part of the experience for those who like it and and for those that don't they can buy something else and/or do what others you've noted above have done... notwithstanding that makes little sense to me. I never once thought "wow, too much road noise and NVH" during my time owning the C7 and I suspect most feel the same way. GM can't make every single prospective buyer happy 100% of the time.
This^^^^

The OP is not going to let this go, he's on a crusade at this point or trolling. And he has NO direct experience, he doesn't own a C7, I don't know if he's ever ridden in one
He has made a decision, based on a small group of folks, on the internet, that think the C7 is too loud inside. And now, he thinks GM should offer "acoustic packages" in the upcoming C8....mind you, NONE of this is based on ACTUAL experience with a CORVETTE.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-03-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:46 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by tobaccokid
Always had a good laugh at people that buy a sports car and then wonder why it rides firmer than a luxury cruiser. About as funny and pathetic as people that buy a house next to an existing airport and then complain about the noise.

Human nature never fails in its inability to follow a logical analysis. Duh

I have been hankering for a 2017 SS, found one up in Norfolk with 6,500 miles on it. When I asked why the original owner traded it so young, the GM immediately said: "He was disappointed with the gas mileage". Hmmm....LS3 in a 4,000 pound sedan....
So, I bought it. And it gets the gas mileage I expected. And I don't care.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-03-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimmyb
This^^^^

The OP is not going to let this go, he's on a crusade at this point or trolling. And he has NO direct experience, he doesn't own a C7, I don't know if he's ever ridden in one
He has made a decision, based on a small group of folks, on the internet, that think the C7 is too loud inside. And now, he thinks GM should offer "acoustic packages" in the upcoming C8....mind you, NONE of this is based on ACTUAL experience with a CORVETTE.
You are now on my forum Ignore List. Don't bother responding. I won't see it. I recommend others do the same.

Last edited by Michael A; 05-03-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:54 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

The funniest thing about this idiotic thread is that IF GM did load the C8 with sound insulation to make it quiet as a Cadillac, there would be a "storm the gates" internet reaction about how GM sold out to make the "old men" happy and the car lacks "soul".

What we know is that one truly cannot please all the people all the time.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-03-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

You are now on my forum Ignore List. Don't bother responding. I won't see it. I recommend others do the same.

Gotta love the thin-skinned snowflakes that cannot stand a contrary opinion. When did people get so weak?
Old 05-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Gotta love the thin-skinned snowflakes that cannot stand a contrary opinion. When did people get so weak?
You are also on my Ignore List now. I will only engage people who want to have a adult discussion about Corvettes. Personal attacks will get you on my Ignore List. Don't bother responding. I won't see it.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:04 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

^^^^^

and....we have thread after thread with people complaining that the npp exhaust isn't loud enough and asking for advice regarding aftermarket loud exhaust systems. I think anyone who finds a c7 too loud inside should re-consider their car choice. Not trying to be snarky but it is a sports car. Or buy a c7 convertible.

You speak of "current" standards. What sports car do you know of that is quiet inside?
porsche?
Rapid Fred (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:13 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I added FatMat 80 to my C7 Z06 — for the sole purpose of reducing tire whine. What was really nice was that it reduced it a fair amount, yet did not reduce the exhaust sound at all. Great result for me.

As to whether I would pay an additional $100 to buy a ME with higher quality but not greater weight insulation, count me in!

Last edited by elegant; 05-03-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Rapid Fred (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:38 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

The funniest thing about this idiotic thread is that IF GM did load the C8 with sound insulation to make it quiet as a Cadillac, there would be a "storm the gates" internet reaction about how GM sold out to make the "old men" happy and the car lacks "soul".

What we know is that one truly cannot please all the people all the time.
I think you are missing the point. I am the VERY happy owner of a C6 with about 50K miles on it and the Z51 package. It rides firm but certainly not "rough" (like my wife's "buckboard" MINI-Cooper S with the performance suspension). The engine is not whisper quiet but when floored is OK (still a bit quiet). However -- road noise is terrible, the squeakng targa (which seems to resist the recommended fixes) is ridiculous, and there is wind noise. Now all that goes away in the nice spring and fall weather when the targa is off and the "wind noise" is simply a part of al-fresco motoring. Plus, just a few (and I mean very few; roughly what I gain in weight each Christmas season) pounds of sound deadener helped a bit -- and I will surely ditch the Goodyear runcraps at my upcoming tire change. Easy to do.

But -- while all of the ****ling annoyances are not going to make me give up such a fun sports car and crazy-good performance bargain, can't you see that just a little bit more attention to details would certainly make the car bit more pleasant without ruining the visceral experience at all? l think that is the OP's point -- and it really is silly to insult him about it.

If the C8 is to continue to migrate up the "world-class" trail, engineering in some NVH improvement would make tons of sense to me. And NOBODY who likes the C6 or C7 would have any reason to complain.

Are you KIDDING me with the edit of the word "ni(g)(g)ling?" Whoever programmed the censorship module for this site should be publicly flogged!

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 05-03-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: ridiculous censorship of a common and appropriate word!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:44 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

simple

GM should offer a sound deadening option,for say $250
Old 05-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
simple

GM should offer a sound deadening option,for say $250
I suspect it is more trouble, and less appealing to the broad swath of Vette customer, to follow your suggestion that to simply design in a better level of NVH reduction in in the first place. It does not have to weigh, or cost, much at all.

Most buyers (and I am sure this is true even for today's Vette buyers) will notice neither the slight extra cost of making the thing a bit more civilized, nor the few extra pounds it would take. And I would bet big bucks that the resulting product will be preferred by 90% of the target market.

As you know, Porsche goes in exactly the opposite direction -- and they can charge more for less in doing so! Sounds like genius to me...
JoesC5 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:21 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

The Corvette is a sports car, not a luxury car. Part the sports car experience is being able to hear the engine, exhaust, feeling the road, etc. It's the same for Ferrari, McClaren, Porsche, BMW, Ford, etc. GM makes luxury "sporty cars" under the Cadillac brand.

Last edited by airforcex; 05-03-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcex
The Corvette is a sports car, not a luxury car. Part the sports car experience is being able to hear the engine, exhaust, feeling the road, etc. It's the same for Ferrari, McClaren, Porsche, BMW, Ford, etc. GM makes luxury "sporty cars" under the Cadillac brand.
Just because the Corvette is a sports car, doesn't mean it automatically has to have obnoxious tire/road noise to make you feel good about driving it.

I don't particularly enjoy getting a headache just because I want to drive my Z06 on some road surfaces that create excessive tire noise, when I'm driving 500 miles in one day on a road trip. Changing brands of tires and adding sound deadening material to the rear bulkhead and cargo area floor helped some on my Z06, but I'm sure it would have been better with a properly engineered sound deadening program done by GM's engineering department.

I have a Mercedes 4 door sedan that is pretty quiet, but I would rather tour the Black Hills in my Corvette while on vacation. Why should I have to endure a terrible headache to enjoy driving my Z06? I have zero interest in a car that I have to leave at home, instead of driving it, just because it doesn't have the engineering applied to dampen out most of the tire/road noise.

Just because it is a sports car doesn't mean it has to ride or sound like a log truck, and you can't stand to be in it after 30 minutes of driving.

Personally, I'm willing to accept GM dumping the AFM and lose the 25 pounds of additional weight it added in exchange for 25 pounds of sound deadening material(even if the gas mileage dropped by 1/8 of 1 MPG).

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-03-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Michael A (05-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Hoping Chevy Finally Puts Good Sound Deadening in C8

Old 05-04-2018, 12:14 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Here's the deal, Corvette people who love road noise (can't imagine this being a huge percentage) are going to buy the C8 even if it is refined and quiet, no matter how much they protest here. No one is going to say "Oh my gosh, there's not enough road noise, so I'm not buying this Corvette". So Corvette Marketing looks at you as just another repeat buyer.

Chevrolet doesn't just want the same old buyers. No, they want Porsche buyers, Jag buyers, BMW buyers, Mercedes buyers, and other premium brand buyers. The problem is those other buyers perceive the Corvette as being crude and unrefined. Do you think having a noisy interior helps the perception of the Corvette as being refined?

Of course not. The Corvette has to be BETTER and even more refined than those other cars to get people to leave their premium brands. Don't believe me, look at this thread.

http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/222...sider+corvette

"While the C7 has come a long way, the interior, quality of materials, and refinement still isn't even on par with an Acura... let alone a Porsche. It's a (wait for it)... Chevrolet."

Last edited by Michael A; 05-04-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:42 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Here's the deal, Corvette people who love road noise (can't imagine this being a huge percentage) are going to buy the C8 even if it is refined and quiet, no matter how much they protest here. No one is going to say "Oh my gosh, there's not enough road noise, so I'm not buying this Corvette". So Corvette Marketing looks at you as just another repeat buyer.

Chevrolet doesn't just want the same old buyers. No, they want Porsche buyers, Jag buyers, BMW buyers, Mercedes buyers, and other premium brand buyers. The problem is those other buyers perceive the Corvette as being crude and unrefined. Do you think having a noisy interior helps the perception of the Corvette as being refined?

Of course not. The Corvette has to be BETTER and even more refined than those other cars to get people to leave their premium brands. Don't believe me, look at this thread.

http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/222...sider+corvette

"While the C7 has come a long way, the interior, quality of materials, and refinement still isn't even on par with an Acura... let alone a Porsche. It's a (wait for it)... Chevrolet."
Yeah, the link you provided is a great source of unbiased and reliable opinion

Here are the "fun" cars I've owned/leased in the last 6 years for comparison... a BMW M2, an M4, two M3's, a C63 AMG coupe and the C7 Corvette. The C7 was very close to those others in interior build and design. On par or better than the M2. Not once did I think "boy, GM missed the boat on the interior or with NVH compared to my BMWs or MB." Do you know which car I miss the most? The C7.

My point being this... if GM quiets the C8 will I buy it? Sure. Did I once ever think NVH in the C7 was inappropriate compared to my M cars or C63? Nope. It has NOTHING to do with people wanting the car to be loud or unrefined... I don't think people want that. It simply is that most people don't consider the current car to be too loud or unrefined at all. You do... and that's fine... but you seem to not represent the views of most IMO considering how many Corvettes get sold. If most people felt the way you do, GM would sell far fewer cars because there are LOTS of other great choices out there if someone feels the NVH in the C7 is too much.

Last edited by gthal; 05-04-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:57 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

If you want all the nuances that a Jag or Lexus has, then why the hell didn't you people just buy a a Lexus or a Jag? Since day one of the the Corvette, it's been about muscle, styling and putting it to the ground. If you want a pussified car, buy something else would be the simple solution.

Quick Reply: Hoping Chevy Finally Puts Good Sound Deadening in C8